BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean video

I didnt think I used and 'inflamatory' language in my post, Im just incredibly frustrated with the timing of this. I know the same could be said about the leak letter, but I understand that had to be 'verified' first.

But with a video filmed of Kean lying and slating sam in a dingy Hong Kong bar back LAST SUMMER, could have been passed around and thrown onto youtube without any bother.

The video had to be verified first too, in terms of whether they were allowed to put it online or not, and as far as I know they still don't know what implications it could mean for the guy who put it online. Whether you believe it's bad timing or not, the guy is sticking his neck out for you and every other fan.

Kean could turn around and threaten these guys with legal action if he loses his job. Would you stick your neck out so quickly when your bank balance/job is on the line?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's no doubt that releasing the video may have helped our chances of surviving.

My main point was that I don't think that it's right, now that the video has been released, to try and identify the person responsible for it.

Does it even matter who took the video? (Although I'm sure many fans would like to buy that person a drink or two).

I, myself, have no idea of the repercussions, if there even are any, of filming and posting such a video without the consent of that person.

It's easy for people to say that they would have released it earlier, but I think in the same situation many would have acted with the same level of caution.

Of course the person responsible shouldn't be identified, I don't care who it was, but the point stands that there were ways to release it anonymously, or even a transcript of it, to apply more pressure.

The video had to be verified first too, in terms of whether they were allowed to put it online or not, and as far as I know they still don't know what implications it could mean for the guy who put it online. Whether you believe it's bad timing or not, the guy is sticking his neck out for you and every other fan.

Kean could turn around and threaten these guys with legal action if he loses his job. Would you stick your neck out so quickly when your bank balance/job is on the line?

I do understand your point, just very frustrated that over the last year many Rovers fans have felt utterly useless to help tha club and have just been slowly watching it sink when there has been information like the letter and the video hidden away.

Around the Bolton game would have been perfect timing for the release of the video, It just feels a bit of a damp squib that will blow over. (REALLY hope im wrong) but I just feel it is too little too late.

as far as I know they still don't know what implications it could mean for the guy who put it online. Whether you believe it's bad timing or not, the guy is sticking his neck out for you and every other fan.

Kean made those statements in a public place in front of the club's supporters so I doubt he has any legal redress.

The easy option is not to release it all but to sit on it all season and then release it now is frustrating and in view of what we have had to suffer this season has not helped the club or the fans.

This is all assuming of course that it leads to Kean's departure.

I can understand him saying nothing until the weekend but he has been labelled a "crook" by a fellow manager in a public forum and I don't see how he can ignore it. Hopefully he will have instructed his lawyers to look into it today.

I too echo your frustration.

It's just if it does lead to Kean getting sacked, he'll be after the person who filmed it!

At the end of the day, it shouldn't have to take a video like this to get him removed.

It's just if it does lead to Kean getting sacked, he'll be after the person who filmed it!

At the end of the day, it shouldn't have to take a video like this to get him removed.

If he does get the sack he will have fallen on his own sword - he cannot blame the messenger.

Agree with your last sentence.

This questioning of the time of release is fatuous. It came out when it did and history cannot be re-written.

However, there might be others sitting on similarly damning evidence having second thoughts about releasing it and this discussion will be doing nothing for strengthening their resolve....

Kean made those statements in a public place in front of the club's supporters so I doubt he has any legal redress.

Agreed.

The video taker and video releaser are heroes in my book.

However, there might be others sitting on similarly damning evidence having second thoughts about releasing it and this discussion will be doing nothing for strengthening their resolve.....

A discussion on the timing of the release is legitimate. If the video does lead to Kean being sacked or resigning it will only lead to the sense of frustration that it could have happened sooner.

If he does get the sack he will have fallen on his own sword - he cannot blame the messenger.

We've all become accustom to the way Steve Kean works now though; nothing is ever his fault and this video will simply fuel the sense of injustice he feels.

In a sense, I want him to get sacked for purely football reasons.

It`ll be like a Benny Hill sketch then!!

Good chap who filmed it being chased be Steve Cockend being chased be 20,000 rovers fans, being chased by Andy Cryer..

I understand why it wasn't released. From my point of view I would feel a bit underhand about releasing a secret recording.

Hence why I don't work for a tabloid.

Kean might claim he had been the victim of a "sting" but hey, it's tough. He's a highly-paid football manager in the public eye and he should be more careful in what he says.

A discussion on the timing of the release is legitimate. If the video does lead to Kean being sacked or resigning it will only lead to the sense of frustration that it could have happened sooner.

Releasing it earlier may have treated a symptom of the malaise affecting the Rovers.

The disease would remain.

I was under the impression that you legally had to tell someone you will be recording them before doing so (at the beginning of the recording), over here at least. The person who released this is potentially taking on a huge amount of risk, although there's probably a loophole to get out of it if worst comes to worst. So huge respect and thanks to him for leaking this, no matter the timing.

I was under the impression that you legally had to tell someone you will be recording them before doing so (at the beginning of the recording), over here at least. The person who released this is potentially taking on a huge amount of risk, although there's probably a loophole to get out of it if worst comes to worst. So huge respect and thanks to him for leaking this, no matter the timing.

Don;t think it is a risk in that sense at all. Loads of these sorts of videos come out, no one is ever prosecuted for not seekeing permission in my recollection.

Don;t think it is a risk in that sense at all. Loads of these sorts of videos come out, no one is ever prosecuted for not seekeing permission in my recollection.

Correct. The risks are minimal.

With the content being potentially career-ending and maybe worse if BS gets legals involved, if it were my video I'd have considered blackmailing Kean with it.

£1m a year is he on? I think a 5% cut per year for the duration of his managerial career would have been fair.

It's not just legalities he'll be worried about. Not a nice thing if you get unwanted attention and made to look bad in the public eye. His employers or future employers may take a dim view of being involved in something so sleazy like this expose. He could be portrayed as untrustworthy as a result.

Also anyone can sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean that they'll win but it wouldn't be pleasant for the young man who released it. That's if he could afford to fight his corner.

• Moderation Lead

Serves the idiot right for not being more careful, talking like this with your mates is one thing, but with fans- well it's just daft, not to mention libellous.

I hope Allardyce takes him to the cleaners.

Kean after someone, no chance physically, every time the weed has a fight he comes off worst!

or SSN making a special report on Ukraine's Hooligans using hidden camera's???

John Hall and Freddy Shepherd in the fake Sheikh story by the NOTW. There are journalists who have made careers out of hidden camera exposes.

Archived