BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nuno Gomes

Thanks for the welcoming me.

I can answer whatever questions you may have. I'll try to stick around and watch some Blackburn matches this season and hope it goes well (and that they are not too early :D ). A lot of Benfica fans will do the same.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks BenficaFan for sharing your views.

So as you say Gomes must play with another strike partner, I think you will see Coco the Clown putting the likes of Best on and taking Gomes off, rather than playing the two together. This is the IQ of our so called manager.

As my nickname indicates, I am an avid Benfica fan and I followed most of Nuno Gomes' career so I think I can help you out with his game.

Most of you talked about him as an experienced poacher but he hasn't been that kind of player since he returned to Benfica 10 years ago. The player you remember from Euro 2000 is not what you'll see at Ewood Park.

Nuno Gomes has an impressive football IQ and, since he's lost his pace and isn't a prolific finisher, he reinvented his game.

He sure knows how to appear in the right places and he still scores a lot of goals because he's smart enough to create a lot of chances, but he also misses a lot, so you'll probably have to be patient. His goals per minute ratio in the last years is quite impressive nonetheless.

But what I wanted to tell you is that he's grown as a second forward. Due to his high IQ, he is more effective when he plays with another striker. Leave him alone upfront and he will probably suck.

He is the arguably the best forward of the last few years in "back-to-the goal" situations but he can't be left alone.

Regarding to his salary/motivation/commitment... don't worry. He is one of the greatest characters my club has produced in the recent years and I can't wait to have him back to work in the club. He would never take this contract for money, and he had more lucrative options. He signed with Blackburn because he always had the dream of playing the Premier League and I can assure you he'll do his best to be there next season.

I know he plays in a different position from the great Michel Salgado, who apparently had a very lucrative contract, but does this report of Gomes' attitude remind anyone else of him?

If we've bought another player with his "nous", I'll be happy. From a distance, of course!

Good article. He has been one of my favourite players growing up. I always liked him and thought that he was a very good player. He wasn't a world class player by any means, but he did his job well and scored regularly. I hope his time in Blackburn goes better than other players Kean has signed and he doesn't diminish my memories of him with bad performances.

• 1 month later...

I've been away from the internet recently but I've seen last Rovers game. Not the best football but it doesn't matter that much when you win.

Just to say that Benfica fans are following Nuno's career in Blackburn. Nuno Gomes thread in Benfica's biggest forum http://serbenfiquist...3;boardseen#new

:)

His goal was a cracker as was Pedders', can't decide which is my favourite.

You guys really worship Nuno over there from what I can make of that thread, had to use page translate which is always good for a laugh. :lol:

It's not worship over how great he was because fortunately we've had a lot of better players than he ever was, it's more admiration over his character, his dedication to the club and the intelligence on and off the pitch.

When Fiorentina went into bankrupcy he was in his prime (around Euro 2000) and still he agreed to a major cut in his salary to return to Benfica, and that's the kind of move that always scores a lot of points with supporters. :)

About him being wasted if he plays alone in the attack, I've warned it could happen. He seems a lot worse like that and will lose a lot of balls if the manager doesn't see that. And he played a decade or something in Benfica in the Portuguese League, which means being used to a very offensive side.

But what I wanted to tell you is that he's grown as a second forward. Due to his high IQ, he is more effective when he plays with another striker. Leave him alone upfront and he will probably suck.

He is the arguably the best forward of the last few years in "back-to-the goal" situations but he can't be left alone.

Archived