BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

Unless you're a "on the shoulder of the last man" merchant like Owen or Bellamy I think it's a lot more important to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Yakubu wasn't quick by any means but thrived in a poor side last season and Shearer lost most of his pace following his first knee injury at Rovers but compensated.

That said, I'll be astounded if we actually manage to land Rhodes.

Yep; thats the hard nut to crack, actually landing him ! we gte Rhodes in, I may well just renew my season ticket that I promised to myself I wouldn`t renew whilst Voldermore was still in charge.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I wouldn't describe him as slow either.....more important that he knows how to score goals by being in the right place at the right time which from the little I've seen as well as hearing about him, Rhodes is proficient at....Santa Cruz, Yakubu etc aren't blessed with pace either, it's useful, not vital as long as you have other decent attributes.....but Rhodes is fast enough anyway.

Unless you're a "on the shoulder of the last man" merchant like Owen or Bellamy I think it's a lot more important to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

You mean like Goodwillie? He's slow but apparently has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Don't underestimate the problem of a striker having no pace Simon.

Yakubu wasn't quick by any means but thrived in a poor side last season and Shearer lost most of his pace following his first knee injury at Rovers but compensated.

Yes, but they had the other side of what I was saying - exceptional technique. Oh and BTW, Shearer was far from slow.

• Backroom

Rhodes isn't slow at all. He may not be a Bellamy, Owen (younger version) or Bale but he's got enough pace that it doesn't effect his overall game.

I'd much rather have somebody like Rhodes with average/decent pace than somebody like Marcus Olsson who has plenty of pace but nothing else to go with it.

Yeah shearer was quick walshy. He lost a bit after his first knee ligament injury in our first season,then more so after his second up at the toon..

This. Shearer was very quick but knee injuries at Rovers and then Newcastle meant he had to change his game.

Rhodes would have to be some player to be considered even just half the player Shearer was. Better off leaving the 'next' comparison to Kean, once he has fired up his copy of Football Manager and checked out Rhodes' info I have no doubt he will come out with something.

This. Shearer was very quick but knee injuries at Rovers and then Newcastle meant he had to change his game.

Rhodes would have to be some player to be considered even just half the player Shearer was. Better off leaving the 'next' comparison to Kean, once he has fired up his copy of Football Manager and checked out Rhodes' info I have no doubt he will come out with something.

Shearer was never "Bellamy" quick - though it is frightening to think how good he would have been without his knee injuries.

I am curious as to how much pace Rhodes has - the last striker we bought he wasn't too quick and then lost what bit of pace he had to injury just prior to us buying him was Davies.

Why the feck are some fans getting excited about Rhodes.

Two questions - firstly, what is the highest level at which this guy has scored goals on a regular basis ? Secondly, if he's that good, where is the queue of PL clubs ?

I rest my case.

Two questions - firstly, what is the highest level at which this guy has scored goals on a regular basis ? Secondly, if he's that good, where is the queue of PL clubs ?

I rest my case.

Don't know if you've noticed but we're playing in the Championship next season not the Prem. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a player who bagged 40 ish goals in League one might well be fairly prolific in the Championship as well.

If he is genuinely available, I wouldn't be surprised if we are gazumped by a Premiership Club at the last minute anyway.

I rest my case.

1 - He is untested at the top 2 levels but at some stage so is everyone.....it's not like he has previously tried and failed.....he is 22 years old and his goalscoring record so far in League 1 suggests he could do it in the C'ship at least....it is extremely unlikely a player could be THAT good at one level and poor at the one above.

2 - He has all the physical attributes to succeed at any level so it's not like he is just really quick or strong or whatever.

3 - There are premier league clubs interested....Everton, Fulham etc...I would class those 2 as top half teams...if you are suggesting we look only look at players where a queue of premier league clubs are interested I doubt we'll be able to sign anyone.

4 - Players can be really good signings yet no premier clubs are interested......we are in the C'ship after all.

5 - You seem to slag off every signing we make or potentially make and yet never seem to offer any alternatives.....this would actually put a bit of weight behind your argument even though they will probably be out of our reach......feel free to do that and say who we should be looking at and who we should have signed as opposed to Best etc

I'm still excited about the prospect of seeing this lad sign. He's a genuine goal machine, obviously it's a gamble, all signings are a gamble. Just hope there's enough left in the kitty to try to go for Billy Sharp as well. Not sure Southampton would let him go but if it's true they are after a couple of our players we might be able to do a deal.

Mercerman your pessimism is beginning to bore the life out of people now.... Its draining! I have no idea of who you expect to sign? We are a 2nd toer team now! Weve signed 8 players? What more do you want??? Borinhell!!

Never heard of him is he Portugeuse?

:tu:

Andy Cryer on Twitter - 'Last tweet. Rovers' bid for Rhodes has Huddersfield v tempted. They are looking for replacements......'

This may be backed up by something Nicko claims - apparently Huddersfield are now looking to buy Vaughan - were previously they were only looking at a loan.

Archived