BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

Kean has gone public to try to turn the lads head, fairly common practice if it's looking like a bid will be turned down. Rhodes will be aware of the wages on offer at rovers and will obviously be tempted, he could make this happen if he wants it enough.

I don't think we've heard the end of it yet.

IMO, the situation what we have now is that players will sign for Rovers only because of the money on offer.

I flagged in an earlier post that the 'bill' for Murphy, Best, Gomes & Etuhu is quite possibly about £35million over the term of their contracts. Let's not kid ourselves, this is an awful lot of dosh for, IMO, mediocrity.

People in the game have their own views on what sort of club Rovers now is and I would not be at all surprised if coaches who have been involved with Rhodes and who still have Ewood connections (eg Faz & Miller) are advising him that this isn't the right career move. Will he listen or go for the big bucks ?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The last line:

'Will he listen or go for big bucks?'

Is meaningless at present as its all guesswork that anyone would even say anything of the sort to him, should it come down to that hypothetical situation i think he would fancy the move, the money will obviously play a part of course but that itself isn't s major problem should the move come off and he does well

I've read a few times now that he would fancy coming here.....I don't think he needs someone to tell him it possibly wouldn't be a good move unless he has not watched Match of the Day or read a newspaper all year....along with everything else......money talks......it's a sad state of affairs that that's the way modern football is but if it wasn't who could we have possibly persuaded to come here?

Everything is speculation but imo if we hadn't strengthened this year we would have been odds on for relegation and that would probably decimate us. As it stands, we have gambled and our only real hope is the minuscule chance Kean ceases managing us at some point during the year. Unless we win 3-2 or 4-3 all the time. We can't continue paying high wages in this division so I think Venky's would just cut their losses and sell up in the summer.....not that that would leave us in a good position but better than the former imo.

Kitson isn't a good player.....maybe he was early in his Reading career but that was a long time ago.......Murphy, Etuhu and Best are good players and signings I wouldn't have minded in the Prem....especially Murphy....if Nuno Gomes is half the player he used to be that's another good signing......then with the Portuguese kids who knows......a signing can only be deemed a success after they have played but without considering anything else, I would class this as a decent transfer window so far....providing we buy a couple of defenders.

IMO, the situation what we have now is that players will sign for Rovers only because of the money on offer.

This has been the case for a long time.

That and player-favouring release clauses.

The last line:

'Will he listen or go for big bucks?'

Is meaningless at present as its all guesswork that anyone would even say anything of the sort to him, should it come down to that hypothetical situation i think he would fancy the move, the money will obviously play a part of course but that itself isn't s major problem should the move come off and he does well

I would be very, very surprised that any player who had contacts with connections at Ewood didn't listen to what they had to say. Let's face it, Grayson, Miller & Faz will all have closer Ewood connections than many in the game. What does the football world think of Rovers and Kean in private ? I don't think it takes a genius to work that one out.

If he comes to Ewood then there's no doubt about it, IMO, that it will be for money.

My concern and opinion, as flagged previously, is that this lad is nowhere near as good as some of our supporters seem to think he is. At 22, a whole host of PL teams would be all over this one if they could capture a striker who they thought would deliver at a higher level.

Sign Rhodes and I would think that contractual fees and wages will be around £50m for Murphy, Best, Gomes, Etuhu and Rhodes. Add the other 4 Portugewse in and you are probably up to £60m. Absolutely frightening when you think that non of this lot would, IMO, command an automatic starting spot in any PL side.

If these figures are true then its no surprise it was rejeted really.

http://www.examiner....86081-31564388/

One reason why I feel this deal will happen is simple - 35k per week.

My opinion is that the player isn't prepared to force a move at the moment as he is hoping that the two clubs can sort a deal out between themselves. If that starts to become unlikely then Rhodes will start kicking up a fuss. He can't afford to turn down that kind of money, particularly when he is currently on about 6k per week.

Also note how their chief executive doesn't really quash the rumours they would be willing to sell Rhodes.

Huddersfield want a bidding war, they were obviously hoping our bid would push Fulham and West Ham into making an official bid. If neither club comes in for him they will have to make the decision as to whether they really want to turn down a possible £6m

I still can't believe that we didnt go for Darren Ambrose. Went to Birmingham for a nominal fee, would have been an excellent signing. If we dont get Rhodes why not tempt Palace with a £6 million offer for Zaha.

I mean all this foreign trash we've signed, agent fees, wages, some transfer fees, could have signed Ambrose for 250,000 and say Zaha for £6million and we'd have a midfield like this:

Ambrose Murphy Etuhu Zaha

I mean which other champ team could match that midfield, NONE. Granted we would still need another striker, but we'd still have Gomes, Best, Rochina who are capable of doing a job (yes i know Best is injured now), but get someone in like Bothroyd on loan and we would have been sorted!!

So does anyone know what the SP is on this at the moment (Kamy?) have we actually been given short shrift with the bid, as Cryer seems to be reporting, and if so have we any intention of making an improved offer?

I think the total would probably be fine, I reckon that HT's problem would probably be with a sell on clause which is something we obviously don't have to worry about now and would only come into effect if the lad's a success, which IMO he would be.

If it's a definite 'go forth & multiply' then we really do need to get moving on other targets.

Archived