BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

nicky maynard maybe - read somewhere that leeds were after him

also think we should go for emile heskey - would be a perfect foil for someone like maynard , sharp or even rhodes

Doesnt Nicky Maynard play for the Hammers? If so i think Sam would rather diet than sell any player to the team that royally screwed him over.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudds fan here.

We've had to deal with this speculation for ages now. Rhodes has been prolific since we signed him, so has inevitably been surrounded by speculation; before last season it was mainly from Championship clubs, then he had an incredible season last season, Sky started talking about him, and now he's linked to another Premier League club every week.

Since we've been owned by Dean Hoyle, we've allowed players to leave for the benefit of their careers, but only when it suits us. We don't allow players to leave in January transfer windows; we all knew that Rhodes wouldn't go in January, unless we got a ridiculous offer, despite being told how deluded we were. When we missed out on promotion at Old Trafford, however, we let Anthony Pilkington and Lee Peltier leave, as it was in their best interest to leave us and they wanted to. However, we let them leave at the beginning of the transfer window, so that we had time to replace them. Given that we're now only a week and a half from the beginning of the season, we're in a similar position to during the January transfer window. We've built a side, we believe is capable of competing at this level, around Rhodes.

I'll never say we definitely won't sell, as we all know anything could happen, but for us to sell we'd either have to wish to cash in, or Rhodes would have to want to leave. For us to want to cash in on Rhodes, we'd need to be offered enough money to be able to buy a replacement, pay Ipswich their share, and then have money left over in the bank... In other words, you'd have to pay far more than he's worth. Also, Rhodes seems happy to stay; he's repeatedly stressed his commitment to Town, and surely if he wanted to leave, he would surely have demanded a move to one of the Premier League clubs who we rejected bids from earlier in the transfer window (admitted by our Chief Executive, not just speculated in the papers).

Therefore, as it stands, I can't see him signing for you.

Got a strange feeling this another of those media leaks from Rovers, a bit like that 'list' from last summer that was leaked by Nicko just at season ticket renewal deadline time. Remember that when Kalinic was sold we where told that money was to be invested back into the team, yet although we bid for lots of players we only managed to invest 1m of it in Yakubu, as a last resort.

Big media story followed by low bid, followed by us moving onto other targets, followed by funds disappearing from club.

Might as well just pray we don't get relegated. We had a striker last season who bagged a lot of goals but we still went down because of our defence. We have lost that striker now and our defence is just as weak. Even though we have brought in some good signings until we get a player who is going to score at this level and someone in who can boss the defence we are in as much crap as we was last season. We need to movbe fast and the likes of Cox and Kitson is a step in the wrong direction.

Just to let you all know the article in the Huddersfield paper is totally wrong as our very own Kamy has clarified.

we have not bid 4M for Rhodes total the official figures are 4M up front & 2M in add ons as stated on his twitter page so it is 6M total he also states Rovers know they won't get him on the cheap.

I have also read another article somewhere that stated they turned down a 5.2M offer for Rhodes.

I believe Kamy to any other journo I also believe the Terriers are doing everything possible to scupper this deal but stating we bid lower figures in the press after all their prize asset they were never going to make it easy to sell to a championship rival.

I know where now championship, but please, Kitson and Cox, there absolutely awful, if we get anyone like them, then we may as well just hope for 15th downwards in the table.

We will do well to finish 15th ..Hang on til Sept 1st , see who is still with the club !

Might as well just pray we don't get relegated. We had a striker last season who bagged a lot of goals but we still went down because of our defence.

That is an excellent sentence , not much being done on that one , I fear !

It wa mainly to do with Kean yes. It was also to do with the fact the players couldn't be bothered doing their job because they are stroppy little losers who don't realise they are getting paidmulti thousands a week to kick a ball well.

If what a previous poster said is true about them turning down 5.2m then we should just move on instead of fighting for someone on deadline day. It isn't the end of the world if we don't get him. It's a risk even going for him.

I know where now championship, but please, Kitson and Cox, there absolutely awful, if we get anyone like them, then we may as well just hope for 15th downwards in the table.

Out of interest, what kind of players are you expecting/wanting us to sign?

Kitson, short term would be Ok. No world beater by any means, but decent at getting a ball under control, keeping it for a few vital seconds and then laying it off to an advancing player. Nothing spectacular but good enought to fill a void. I don't say this soley in terms on Kitson, but some Rovers fans would do well to remember the cheap Yakubu option we stumbled upon last season. Sometimes larger outlay doesn't always guarantee results.

Yakubu was a proven goalscorer though, he had a bit of a lapse at Everton but when he joined he was prolific, he was decent at Boro too. Was a bargain buy. Kitson hasn't done much in so long. Even Pompey fans are saying he was toss.

According to Cryer there will be a lot of info on Rhodes, Kazim and one other midfielder who we may get on loan but he doubts in tomorrows paper.

Yakubu had a very decent goal scoring record. But i'm not suggesting we look at Kitson for his goal scoring exploits. More his ability to hold the ball up and be a threat at set pieces. Target men are rarely judged on statistics but they are essential in some systems. With all out attacking midfield personnel, i would imagine a center forward capable of retaining possession would be a must. Kitson isn't the best in the world, but he is better than we have got and he is free.It works for me on a short term deal.

Kean's signings, as best as I can recall, prior to this window:

Rochina, Formica, J. Jones, RSC, Anderson, Ribeiro, Petro, Goodwillie, Simon, Yak, Slew, Dann, Modeste, Orr, Olsson2

IMO, out of those 15 players, only J. Jones (as 2010/11 reached its end) and Yak could be classified as decent / good. Eight have sunk without trace and the remainder are less than satisfactory.

I think it's an appalling record in transfer dealings, getting even worse when you consider the players who have left.

There is nothing to suggest that his 7 or 8 signings for the new season will fare any differently.

If ever anyone needed any evidence that Kean is so much out of his depth.

We are in one real mess.

Rochina, Formica, J. Jones, RSC, Anderson, Ribeiro, Petro, Goodwillie, Simon, Yak, Slew, Dann, Modeste, Orr, Olsson2

IMO, out of those 15 players, only J. Jones (as 2010/11 reached its end) and Yak could be classified as decent / good. Eight have sunk without trace and the remainder are less than satisfactory.

I think it's an appalling record in transfer dealings, getting even worse when you consider the players who have left.

There is nothing to suggest that his 7 or 8 signings for the new season will fare any differently.

We are in one real mess.

100% agree, that's why when people say they'd be happy to see players like MGP and even Dann leave I shudder. There is nothing in Keans record to suggest he can pick a decent player. Can someone point out to me how many bad players Hughes signed? He must have done some, but he also picked up Nelson, Samba, Savage, Bellamy, BenniMc, RSC & Bentley.

Yeah I agree J.Jones helped us stay up. Yak scored goals but in vain. Dann was awful but we bought him after he looked good with Birmingham when he wasn't injured. We paid far too much though. Orr= poor Simon= under used Rochina= greedy and arrogant Formica= over rated Goodwillie= The Scottish Rooney (doesn't say much about Scottish players) awful Petrovic= beyond awful Ribiero= who? Anderson= huh?

You could go through our whole team though and out of all them you can probably name about 4 or 5 players that are not really really bad.

But i'm not suggesting we look at Kitson for his goal scoring exploits. More his ability to hold the ball up and be a threat at set pieces. Target men are rarely judged on statistics but they are essential in some systems. With all out attacking midfield personnel, i would imagine a center forward capable of retaining possession would be a must. Kitson isn't the best in the world, but he is better than we have got and he is free.It works for me on a short term deal.

I think Kean will still play mostly one up top though unfortunately....which means it's a good idea to have a striker who can score......not a player who's current club's fans describe as not League 1 level.

We are in one real mess.

Rochina is now our most talented player imo and potentially unbelievable...sadly he is wasted on the wing where he tries to do too much and is nowhere near as effective...... technically brilliant, excellent vision, great ball control, goal threat from inside or outside the box just really not a winger.....but there is a reason Barca kept him on their books for 3/4 seasons.

Formica....hmmmm....I've said this many a time but after a longer run in the team he would start to influence the game more......undeniable work rate that made him stand head and shoulders above the rest....proficient at tackling, technically sound and could play some decent passes....which was hard as mostly there was never anything on......not a winger also as he lacks real pace.....another goal threat.....was rated pretty highly in Argentina......that doesn't necessarily mean he will succeed everywhere but it proves he has ability.

J Jones....buzzing....loved him....Schalke wanted 10 million for a reason....worth about 7/8 imo but is still a really good player.

Santa Cruz.....yea still had the ability just not a goal threat.....had done it here before in his first season....apparently the most a player had scored on their debut season in the Prem until Aguero....don't quote me on that though as I only heard that once.

Anderson and Ribeiro.....enough said......I hope Ribeiro comes good though....I just think it would be funny...but I'm not gonna hold my breath.....Slew didn't play either....poor in that respect.

Petrovic needs a run in the team.....was starting to be impressed.....like every other player who played DM last season he didn't get stuck in enough but was starting to become good on the ball......sprayed some excellent passes about and could drive forward with the ball.......like a lot he is still young and was in the Serbian team of the year 2 years in a row which proves he has ability, as well as being an international.....I think he could become suited to the English game with a run in the team.

Goodwillie....enough has been said from posters who have seen him before.....another one who suffered greatly from being played out of position......if, for example, Jermaine Defoe was played on the wing or up front on his own he wouldn't do much either.......isn't fully fit like a few others....lost his pace and touch a bit.

Vukcevic played what? 4 times.....and yet still impressed......there must have been a reason why he didn't play.

The Yak was a great signing.....banged them in for fun.....first goal against Arsenal at home and his one at home to Bolton were absolutely quality....merked Phil Jones in that goal at Old Trafford.....too old to run about but his hold up play was exemplary and he was fairly consistent.

Dann and Modeste were shocking......Dann was good at Birmingham and therefore nobody could envisage how bad he would be......terrible player, truly awful in every sense.

Orr was a good signing.....we could have done with him before....equally adept at defending and attacking, quick, strong, good in the air and good at crossing......massive @#/?....shaky start but then came good.....most players don't play well instantly.

Olsson 2.....not a good player at all.....shouldn't have been used barring the last 5/10 mins occasionally.....was our Julio Santa Cruz except he was actually played.

Apparently Simon Hunt and Vineeth Rao were in charge of transfers and apparently Singh has a massive say in recent ones.

Even if 15/15 Kean signings were shocking that doesn't mean any new ones will be bad also......each player and scenario is different.

Today's LT reporting that the Rhodes deal is not over yet because the player is open to a move BUT it seems as though we are not prepared to improve the bid.

So where do we go form here ?

Hopefully Rhodes has been told to make a move quick or we need to move on.

Archived