BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

After everything thats gone on.. and will continue to go on... Not one single Rovers fan should be blamed for being cynical - about the current regime.

I'm joking. Mercerman is far and away my favourite poster. I love his negativity. But like him or loathe him, he is a true Rovers fan and he wears his heart on his sleeve. I enjoy his ups and his many many downs. I dunno what happened to the award poll which popped up a few months back, but Mercerman gets my vote for most entertaining poster. He's a bleeding cracker!!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Still not sure either way if it will happen or not yet or if he's any good as I haven't seen much of him

He can score goals that's for sure but he would be best as a second striker rather than the main one so the pressure isn't right on him from the start

Is he a Shebby target?

I never believe a word the mirror says anymore. Remember last season when we was set to land Van Nistlerooy, David Guiza, Raul, Papiss Cisse and Axel Witsel?

Not to forget Nicko's 50 million and Steve Kean will be a success bits either.

I believe that the latest offer which has been submitted or is about to be submitted is £5 million upfront, £1 million add'ons and 10% sell on clause. I think that this will be the final bid, if it is not accepted then Rovers will move on.

We really do need to move on if Huddersfield aren't going to accept this bid. As much as people are raving about him, the highest level he's proven at is third tier English football, £6M is a bloody good deal, especially for a small club like Huddersfield. Also I don't see any other teams queueing up offering that sort of money...

We heard he has played Newcastle......it's only a few games anyway and you can't really judge him from it but I'd rather he played well than didn't......that's good he scored 2 at Cardiff.....better than any of our players managed......oh no wait that was the one we forfeited never mind :blink:

How fast is he? I've seen him play a few times before but how would you describe him? Can his pace/acceleration be an asset? Or is it purely being in the right place at the right time?

How much are Ipswich owed if you sell him? And have you been looking for potential replacements? If so, is this a recent thing or have you always prepared for it?

Yes, he scored at Newcastle too, and that season he was kept quiet by West Brom. Thing is, in that season he was a completely different entity; still a good finisher, but little in terms of all round play, and could often be bullied out of games by an experienced centre half.

He's quick enough, but that's it. His asset is his speed of thought, rather than his speed on the floor. Judging him on last night, he looks to have spent another summer in the gym, which is promising.

A League 1 player isn't interested in 35k a week? Do me a favour.

He's a Championship player. You should probably have a look at who you will be playing this season, at some point soon...

SSH he can't really be classed as a championship player though as he's never played at that level. Granted he'll be in the Championship this coming season.

I like the look of him as a player and a number of players who have scored in league 1 in recent years have managed to make the step up so that's also a good sign.

However I think we need to make this a final offer and move onto another target if its not accepted. Guidetta could be an interesting one if available. I know very very little about him apart from the fact that he scored a lot of goals last season including 3 against Twente and Ajax, both pretty decent teams.

Even if we say he's a Championship player, how many of those go for fees of £6m and £35k a week wages?

All part of the big gamble - scores 20+ goals and gets us promoted will be worth it - doesn't score, gets injured, or proves to be out of his depth and the consequences aren't worth thinking about.

Amazing that when we had a revenue stream they cut wages - and possibly made us viable in Championship. Get relegated and they then start spending like we were still in the Premiership - all very strange.

We really do need to move on if Huddersfield aren't going to accept this bid. As much as people are raving about him, the highest level he's proven at is third tier English football, £6M is a bloody good deal, especially for a small club like Huddersfield. Also I don't see any other teams queueing up offering that sort of money...

If the bid is £5M+£1M, I can't see us accepting. Once we'd recovered our initial outlay, payed Ipswich their share and bought a replacement, we'd have nothing of note left. If you want him, you'll have to pay more than he's worth.

Irrelevant that we're a 'small club'; we don't need to sell, and whilst recent history dictates that you're bigger than us, you're only Blackburn, he's not exactly going to spit his dummy out in order to join you.

My bad. I was forgetting about all those Championship games he's played in...

So when does he become a Championship player? A week on Saturday, or does he have to wait until at least Christmas? He's played three games against Championship opposition (two sides that were automatically promoted during the season in question, and another that made the Play Offs) for us, and scored three goals, so I'm fairly confident he's of at least Championship standard.

EDIT - Our chairman's son has just tweeted that Alan Nixon talks some rubbish, so read into that as you like.

Presumably he'll be worth much more, if we wait two weeks before we sell him then? Championship players are worth more than League One players, after all.

Depends if he scores goals or not I guess! As he's not played at the level yet, we'll just have to wait and see ;)

Thanks for the info Kamy. I have not seen much of this guy, but from the youtube videos he he seems to be lacking a little bit pace. On the other hand he seems to be good with both feet and in the air.

Nothing outstanding on youtube, to make me think he's worth £6m.

The acid test, is can he go to places like Birmingham, Cardiff, Charlton, Crystal palace, Leeds and Leicester and on the few occassions he's going to see the ball, show some technical qualities and hold it up until others can get to him. It's OK dreaming of him scoring 20 goals at Ewood, but going to these places requires considerable application.

The second question is how many of these grounds can rovers go to and not concede goals? Not many I reckon. While the championship is a long way behind the PL in terms of quality, there's a lot of really difficult grounds to go to, get clean sheets and score goals - as we've found out in the past.

If the bid is £5M+£1M, I can't see us accepting. Once we'd recovered our initial outlay, payed Ipswich their share and bought a replacement, we'd have nothing of note left. If you want him, you'll have to pay more than he's worth.

Irrelevant that we're a 'small club'; we don't need to sell, and whilst recent history dictates that you're bigger than us, you're only Blackburn, he's not exactly going to spit his dummy out in order to join you.

So when does he become a Championship player? A week on Saturday, or does he have to wait until at least Christmas? He's played three games against Championship opposition (two sides that were automatically promoted during the season in question, and another that made the Play Offs) for us, and scored three goals, so I'm fairly confident he's of at least Championship standard.

EDIT - Our chairman's son has just tweeted that Alan Nixon talks some rubbish, so read into that as you like.

How much is the Ipswich sell on clause ?

To be fair to Huddersfield - I would want Blackburn to do exactly the same thing if another club came after our star player - you get as high as you can. However, as we know to our cost, player power (or should I say agent power) can upset the balance.

Sense quite an attitude in your posts? no one likes losing there star players but god knows its happened to us alot!! Yes we werent the biggest fish in the premier league but ye are ''only huddersfield'', no prem history, never been there, prob never will be... at least we were there for the bulk of its existance, punched well above our weight at times and bar a looney regime prob still would be so if you ask me i would wanna play for rovers everyday of the week ahead of Huddersfield...no question!!

Football fans have memories like goldfish, they'll soon forget about our Premiership glory days. According to Brighton fans we're one of the smallest clubs in the division, what the **** have Brighton ever done to warrant being bigger than us I'm not so sure.

Rhodes has been scoring 20goals plus from the age of 19 and has lots of potential, but Billy Sharp is the finished article at 26 and has scored regularly in the Championship, now £2,000,000 for Sharp would be a better investment as I think it will take Rhodes 3 to 6 months to come to terms with better defenders, they are not just better players but their reading of the game is better, they wont give him the same time or space as division 1, it took Sharp a season or two to progress from Scunthorpe to Championship football!

They'd be within their right to forget about it too. You're only as good as the position you are in. At the moment, however, we are in one of the best positions financially in the league to get back up. Give it a year or two and that will be gone, and we will be of a similar standing to them. So whilst I agree that teams are wrong about us being a small team, I fear the mistake is only that they are saying it prematurely. Hopefuly we'll bounce back and they won't get a chance to make such snide remarks when it could actually be true. Nottingham Forest won the European Cup but nobody really considers that when they shape up to face them.

Archived