BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If rumours are true - we haven't. Only £3m is up front with the remainder to be paid over the length of his contract - so sounds like he has been bought on HP.

I believe it's guaranteed 8mil over 4 years, with performance add on's taking it to a potential 10mil. Wages are 35k with again, performance add on's.

Mental money.

He also scored against Notts Forest, albeit a penalty but 2 goals from 3 games in the league isn't a bad start......

If I had 8m quid to spend, I wouldn't spunk it all on a lad with potential and no record above league 1, really.

A young Paul Dickov.

Dickov and Goodwillie, we're turning into a boys club.

Ben,

The Scottish Teddy Sheringham!! He's doomed then.

Wouldn't worry about getting it wrong, you had your price and stuck to it, fair play. I say that as that's exactly how we operated under JW and it worked out well. You'll get the better deal as that money will get 2-3 players and ensure you stay-up.

Good luck for the season and well done on getting us back for John Stead.

is anyone else not underwhelmed by the signing due to the fact that we have someone who cannot manage players? Any other manager running our team I would be over the moon but I half expect Kean to play him alongside Murphy for his debut!!

But the case is Ralf. Venkys have spent money and they look ready to get us into the Premiership. If not they wouldnt spend this much money. In my head this means that Kean is on a very thin line.

Anyone know what time Rhodes is due for a medical?

Might take a trip down brockhall

Get the boos in early!

It's 2 goals from 2 games as he didn't play in the game against Cardiff.

Scored for Scotland too I think.

Stunned that we're signing this lad for 8m :blink:

I can see another Pompey happening here in the next couple of years, stupid money for an unproven lower league striker, ask yourselves why nobody else has the desire to pay the asking price, similar scenario to Scott Dann, not bloody good enough.

Hope I'm wrong, but worrying times.

Great addition to the squad, with the potential to score 20+ goals this season. My Huddersfield supporting mate is gutted he's going but happy with the £8m! My questions would be:

1) Its a lot of money up front, where has it come from ?(is it from Hoillett fees etc or is the club being loaded with debt?)

2) Why didn't we spend this kind of money to try to keep us up?

3) Will we go bust this season if we don't get promoted?

4) Does it matter who we sign with that idiot still in charge?

Nevertheless, good to see some quality come into the squad and young enough to have resale value when he leaves.

He did, so that's three goals in three games. One was a penalty though to be fair. Still had to stick it in the net though.

You have to create chances for a striker to score goals, our problems isn't up front, its midfield and defence.

Stunned that we're signing this lad for 8m :blink:

I can see another Pompey happening here in the next couple of years, stupid money for an unproven lower league striker, ask yourselves why nobody else has the desire to pay the asking price, similar scenario to Scott Dann, not bloody good enough.

Hope I'm wrong, but worrying times.

The credit facility is secured against Venky's assets not Rovers, and the parachute payments will cover Rovers even if they don't go straight back up. If they do go up they'll be rolling in money with the new PL TV money.

We've still got Kean in charge at the moment but investing in Rhodes could mean if we falter he'll be out as they've got a lot riding on getting back up. I've got to be optimistic about this as although it's a lot of money, that lot of money means it's more of a gamble for Venky's and a statement of intent. I just can't see Kean being at the club if we start dropping points (which we almost likely will do with the way we're playing).

2) Why didn't we spend this kind of money to try to keep us up?

According to Nixon it was because of the bank not playing ball with us.

You have to create chances for a striker to score goals, our problems isn't up front, its midfield and defence.

Hopefully now we can play Kazim on the right, which could give us another player who can make things happen from the wing.

I'd disagree with that. I'd say our problems lie entirely with the manager. A decent manager would get the most out of our squad. Kazim will play wide most likely, if I remember correctly didn't Kean say in an interview he'd purchased him to play as a wide player?

Edit: sorry loaned...

The credit facility is secured against Venky's assets not Rovers, and the parachute payments will cover Rovers even if they don't go straight back up. If they do go up they'll be rolling in money with the new PL TV money.

You seem very confident of that Booth and I'm not saying you're wrong, but all the indications are its "Sh1t or bust" this season, thats very worrying indeed.

Good lord.

Figures going around now are £8 million upfront and an extra £1.5 million if you get promoted. Off the not very reliable nixon so will not bet my house (again) on it. Still though a possible £9.5 million is way over the odds. Huge money is that.

To all Huddersfield supporters:

What type of system / formation have you been playing and can Rhodes play alone up front ?

Jordan is one of the best player sin English football, inside the 18 yard box. Outside of that he is very lightweight. He will not be scoring any screamers for you, but he will quietly knock them in.

He's a 1 touch player, i.e. you've got to get the ball over to him early and he'll use his excellent movement to get goal side of the defender and head into to top corner, a la:

He can play on his own up front, but often works better with a bigger/faster man alongside to pull defenders around and create space for him.

His big weakness is that if you cut the supply to him, he will contribute absolutely nothing to the game.

He worked best for us with a big striker doing the donkey work & taking the pressure off him - whether that was Lee Novak or Alan Lee in Lg1 or Vaughan in Championship. We never played him up front on his own in Lg1 so difficult to say, although he was a bit isolated on his own against Forest. He did ok for Scotland up front on his own, mind.

The key with JR is to give him service into the box. Give him service & he'll score. He's not the quickest (although he's not slow either - youtube rhodes goals against Sheff Weds) but his is movement off the ball is superb - he's good in the air & a lethal finisher with either foot. What he won't do is create many of his own chances. If you don't give him the ball in or around the box, he might as well not be there.

Congratulations, you've got yourselves a class player - we've got a good fee. I just hope we can manage to get somebody decent in to replace him.

Archived