BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not wishing to be obtuse, but I honestly can't get my head around this Rhodes deal. It's all very well picking up fading stars (Nuno Gomes), journeymen pros (Murphy, Etuhu) and crap foreigners (all these Portuguese nobodies) but, given the chaos in which the club currently finds itself, swooping in to sign a highly touted star like Rhodes is beyond me I'm afraid.

How is such a large transfer being financed? How has Kean convinced him he's a proper manager?

He must be getting paid a fortune.

Now I have no hostility towards the lad himself, he is undoubtedly a talented kid. I just find it bizarre that for all the club's obvious problems - crap manager, idiot Indians, mystery owners - such a tidy bit of business has been pulled off.

If and when we get a real manager this guy could really do well for us.

It'll be very easy to determine whether this deal is a success or not.

If it is, we'll be in the Prem next season.

Rhodes could do well for us and still promotion could be missed. Quite simply, as long as Kean remains we're going nowhere near the top table again.

If Kean is replaced* too late to push for promotion, Rhodes coud be an asset next season.

*Personally I believe Kean can't be removed, but that's another thread.

Don't think Lindsay quite developed as he should.

Kerr was exceptional and I think it was Eddie Quigley who signed him. Might be wrong here but I think Kerr made his football league debut for Bury at 15 years of age and in a then very physical Championship equivalent, was testament to his potential and ability.

That's because they played him at left back instead of left centre back.

Then it will have been a failure. For a fee of this size and what will be wages to match, we can't afford to be a Championship side for more than one season.

Yes but the failure will rest solely at Kean's feet and those of the shadowy owners. Signing or not signing Jordan Rhodes will not have broken the season. If he scores lots of goals and we still miss promotion, then his arrival in itself cannot be said to have been a failure.

I always thought Rhodes was decent in the air, i'm quite surprised to see he's 6ft 2"(according to Wiki anyway) . He's not a small lad either so should be a decent physical presence. Obviously knows where the net is. I can only compare his record to who he's scored against in the past whilst playing in the lower leagues, so can he cut it at this level? Who knows. 2 from 2 certainly isn't a bad start (i'll count his goal against Burnley as a double so 3 from 2!) , however you see the signing, good or bad, you've got to give the guy a chance to prove himself.

Wherever he's been he's scored goals, his record so far (and yes I know it's in the lower leagues) is at worst a goal every other game, internationals included. He's been scoring as such since the age of 18.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

From a Dingle on Claret Mad.

re: Rhodes to Rovers

and we all made fun off the venkys,i wish we had them at the turf instead of these clowns who keep selling every one off our players thats worth any money,and what have they done with the cash from jay rod,the share in the sale of fletcher,oh and don't forget we are still getting parachute paments this year to help us keep hold of our good players,thats a joke.

Honestly, they have can have them.

Why are people emphasising the fact that he is so called 'unproven' at this level?

Last season he scored 5 goals in 4 games against the two other promoted clubs from league 1 to the championship. Of the promoted clubs, SWFC have 7 points, CAFC have 5 points and HTFC have 4 points, after 3 games so far this season. The point Im trying to make is; Is the gap really that big between League 1 and Championship?

The above seems to argue against there being a significant gap. Furthermore he already has 2 in 2 this season. He will score goals at this level, I have every confidence.

I have to say that im delighted with the signing. As a couple have mentioned before this has a double edged sword. Either he fires us to promotion or Kean gets sacked. So its a win win isnt it?

Lets get behind him and give him a chance. He's not the new Shearer if his two goals inspire us to a win at Leeds and he's not the new Grabbi if he fails to score and has a stinker! :rover:

I think fans have a right to be sceptical as it is a lot of money for player who hasn't of yet consistently proved he can get goals at this level.....although one of the most interesting things is the vast majority who have seen him play are very happy with this transfer.

A goal on his debut will do his confidence the world of good and ease some of the pressure off him.....let's hope he bags a hat-trick against Dirty Leeds.

Rhodes will score goals at any and every level of football and will so consistently. however as has been said earlier, he is not like messi in that he can create his own goals. Give him half decent service from good crosses and clever through balls and he will bang them in the net. Just make sure your team can provide him with good service.

in the burnley game he had 3 chances, one was saved, one hit the bar the other he scored.

Rhodes will score goals at any and every level of football and will so consistently. however as has been said earlier, he is not like messi in that he can create his own goals. Give him half decent service from good crosses and clever through balls and he will bang them in the net. Just make sure your team can provide him with good service.

in the burnley game he had 3 chances, one was saved, one hit the bar the other he scored.

What's a cross look like ? The next time this season one of our " wingers " gets around the side of the opposition will be the first. For me it's a bollock all round. Rhodes for signing for a team in decline who create about 1 chance a game, Rovers for signing a penalty box player without having any idea of how to get the ball to him.

Murphy can pick a pass forward, he hasn't had the movement ahead of him to really take advantage of it.

Pedersen and Simon are 2 players who can whip in a cross to him. Also both full backs in Martin Olsson and Orr can put in good crosses, and players like Gomes and Formica can hopefully buzz around him to create space and thread him through.

• Backroom

What's a cross look like ? The next time this season one of our " wingers " gets around the side of the opposition will be the first. For me it's a bollock all round. Rhodes for signing for a team in decline who create about 1 chance a game, Rovers for signing a penalty box player without having any idea of how to get the ball to him.

Olsson put in three or four great balls against Leicester but nobody gambled or was ready for them

We don't have anyone in the squad who can put in good quality crosses on a consistent basis, we lost that ability years ago. You can’t rely on a past it Pedersen who was moved from the wing because he lost that ability. Vukcevic clearly isn’t rated by the manager, and when he has played he hasn’t looked that great. Kazim-Richards from what I’ve seen has never been prolific in that aspect of his game.

We should have got rid of some of the dross in midfield and bought a winger who can cross a ball.

Hope Rhodes is as prolific for us as he has been at Huddersfield.

He was an expensive signing but it shows some intent from the owners to get back to the Premiership quickly, it's a challenge that is a tough one with half a dozen other clubs spending heavily and our added handicap of the manager. Still, there's time for Kean to go or, miraculously, improve. I don't care which so long as we are successful on the pitch.

In the meantime I hope he emulates Shearer ands scores in a winning debut away from home!

Hope Rhodes is as prolific for us as he has been at Huddersfield.

He was an expensive signing but it shows some intent from the owners to get back to the Premiership quickly, it's a challenge that is a tough one with half a dozen other clubs spending heavily and our added handicap of the manager. Still, there's time for Kean to go or, miraculously, improve. I don't care which so long as we are successful on the pitch.

In the meantime I hope he emulates Shearer ands scores in a winning debut away from home!

I thought Shearer's first away match was a draw?

Archived