BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

Dreadful comparison.

Did you take into account these,

His age?

His wages?

The fact a lot of our fee is down to performance.

I took into account the fact that we are due to pay twice as much for a guy who has only scored goals in the lower leagues, compared to a top class international player.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The £8m is not performance related. It is 100% contracted and has to be paid albeit over a rather long period. We pay the last instalment when Kean gets the chance to relegate us to Conference North... seriously that is how many seasons it is spread over.

I wouldn't deride the signing of Rhodes, I think it's a great signing. Shame we didn't sign a couple of competent central defenders to match. Then all we would have needed would have been a competent conductor of the orchestra to make the team tick.

Berba is on huge wages

His agent took over 2M for the deal.

He is much older and is on the decline

He wouldn't drop down, only went to them because of Jol.

Rhodes has potential to grow and has age on his side.

That comparison is woeful.

I dislike this transfer window crap.

Sky have done alot for player power with the money they throw at football.

The transfer day deadline "drama" beefed up by stupid excessive coverage from sky tv adds lots of zeros to the end price of many average players.

Is Jordan Rhodes worth £8m. IMO no.

It does seem a desperate throw of the dice by Venkys. Look at us we've spent big? (not to mention made a few quid on sales)

Seen some quote (not heard first hand) Kean saying he could be worth 12/15/17 million!

That says to Mrs D is still swallowing Keans dribble,(uuugghh!) hook line & stinker.

We have to go up this time or we will be in serious trouble. The sellable players will be gone, Venkys / Kean and co will walk away with an overall profit.

For us?

There will be nothing left except monkey masks, tears and the gut wrenching question.

Did we do enough to stop it?

I'm not saying we should have signed Berbatov or that we shouldn't have signed Rhodes, I'm saying that the price was too high, when you compare it to what a proven striker was bought for and when Steve Kean is our manager and promotion isn't guaranteed. It's hardly a woeful comparison.

You have to take into consideration Jordan's salary and resale value, when looking at the transfer fee.

Yes, it's a lot of money for a lower league striker, but he is 22 and clearly has a ton of talent.

If he goes on to score 15-20 goals this season and a similar amount next season (hopefully in the Premiership), we'll at least double our outlay on him.

Somebody like Berbatov is in his 30's, will be on stupidly high wages and you'll get little-to-no resale value.

The Rhodes signing could potentially work out very profitable for us.

You have to take into consideration Jordan's salary and resale value, when looking at the transfer fee.

Yes, it's a lot of money for a lower league striker, but he is 22 and clearly has a ton of talent.

If he goes on to score 15-20 goals this season and a similar amount next season (hopefully in the Premiership), we'll at least double our outlay on him.

Somebody like Berbatov is in his 30's, will be on stupidly high wages and you'll get little-to-no resale value.

Profitable for them.

Reinvestment ?

Another major factor is the amount Rhodes was worth to Huddersfield. We took their best player so they were desperate to fight us for him. £8m is a massive gamble, however one of the biggest positives of this move, perversely, is that it brings far more pressure on Kean to deliver. The fact that Venkys are throwing money behind this signals that they finally might take notice when Kean p*$$es their money up the wall. Results will dictate the manager's fate. I'd like to think that it won't take much for the trigger to be pulled but I'm not holding my breath.

Realistically for us to recoup the money he would have to be a very effective Premiersphip striker. We are talking Yakbu/Andy Johnson/Heskey in his prime sort of level. 15+ goals a season.That is a massive ask. Before we even get there he needs to score 20-30 goals in the Championship.

It's a huge gamble, a one that only seems sensible if Venkys have agreed to take on the risk and write off any loss on the player and cover us if we fail to get promoted this season. However I doubt this has happened.

i think it was mentioned today from some commentators that rhodes was largely playing with his back to goal and holding the ball up, thus bringing his team mates into play. if this is indeed the case and i'm sure that somebody who went to the match will confirm, it is certainly NOT the way that he scored all those goals for huddersfield the last few seasons. so coco's record of bringing in promising players and destroying them , it seems on this occasions has got off to the right (or wrong) start.

when we signed JR, i am sure that most of us where rather happy with it, but equally if not more, i think more of us questioned where is the supply going to come from?? put this lad in a position where he can get a shot at goal and more often than not, he'll hit the back of the net. coco equals inept ######.

I dislike this transfer window crap.

Sky have done alot for player power with the money they throw at football.

The transfer day deadline "drama" beefed up by stupid excessive coverage from sky tv adds lots of zeros to the end price of many average players.

Is Jordan Rhodes worth £8m. IMO no.

It does seem a desperate throw of the dice by Venkys. Look at us we've spent big? (not to mention made a few quid on sales)

Seen some quote (not heard first hand) Kean saying he could be worth 12/15/17 million!

That says to Mrs D is still swallowing Keans dribble,(uuugghh!) hook line & stinker.

We have to go up this time or we will be in serious trouble. The sellable players will be gone, Venkys / Kean and co will walk away with an overall profit.

For us?

There will be nothing left except monkey masks, tears and the gut wrenching question.

Did we do enough to stop it?

This is an excellent post and sums up many of the issues in football and at our club.

TBH I had never heard of JR till Rovers interest began, I suspect the same is true for many others. I've never seen him play or even a goal clip so can't comment on his quality. What seems crucial to me is we set the team up to support the player who at £8m has been purchased to score goals. At this price there is no doubt about it.

From what I've read my impression is JR is a forward facing player and he needs a good supply of quality balls. Under Dalglish we spent a fortune on Shearer and set up the team to get the best from him. In my mind Shearer was at his peak in those years and Newcastle didn't get the very best from him. If Kean doesn't set up the team to supply Rhodes or we dont have the right players to do this (I'm not sure we have) we must ask why we bought him?

For me this is a Shebby Singh purchase and I'm confused as to why the owners have decided to back him to this extent. It seems we were the only interested club - why?

If Rhodes proves to be the real thing we will do well to keep him for two seasons.

We didn't sign him to score 40 goals and in all honesty if we made that our aim we would harm our team. It's unlikely that Kean can get the best out of him, but if he wants to develop as a player he needs to learn how to be more than just a goalscorer. Today was encouraging and he clearly has the ability to be involved in play outside of the area.

In general I'd agree with your post but the bit in bold is crucial. We clearly have signed him to score goals, not 40 a season but at £8m 25 would seem a reasonable expectation. If we aren't able to supply the quality or type of ball JR needs why buy him.

You've right though if Kean does attempt to change the team it could cause more problems than its worth.

You're right, I mean we obviously expect him to score, but many are saying 'we should expect him to score half as many' as if that would make him a total flop. If he scores 20 goals this season then he will have had a good year. If he combines those 20 goals with good all-around play then he will have had a great season.

I'm sure I read that Rhodes is Singh's man. It could be that the reason the fee went so high was because Singh insisted that Venkys back him?

My worry is that Kean will be the one putting the team around him. It would be criminal if Kean was to set up the team and ignore Rhodes' strengths and put any personal in-fight ahead of Rovers' success. Although it wouldn't surprise me - I could well imagine him on the blower to India say I told you so. (Which is assuming still that Singh isn't a sideshow puppet).

Hopefully he can find room for Rhodes and CKR (who has also earned a place) but if he does to Rhodes what he did to Goodwillie (wing him) then I'll be furious. You don't spend £8m on a goalscorer and then not get the best out of him.

So will he put CKR out wide or will he play them both up top in a 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2, I guess we'll see...

Some of the posts here are strange. We've not actually had that much trouble scoring goals under Kean. Keeping them out is the issue. Gomes and Kaz both have two already this season, Rochina and Goodwillie one each as well. We have enough going forward for JR to get 20 odd, problem is we'll need to score 3 a game to get atleast a point.

Some of the posts here are strange. We've not actually had that much trouble scoring goals under Kean. Keeping them out is the issue. Gomes and Kaz both have two already this season, Rochina and Goodwillie one each as well. We have enough going forward for JR to get 20 odd, problem is we'll need to score 3 a game to get atleast a point.

Last season stats (prem):

Games where Rovers didn't score: 10 (5 of them were in April/May)

Games where we scored 2 or more goals: 10

Games where we scored 2 or more goals and didn't win: 3

Games where we conceded 2 or more: 26

Kean not only didn't want Rhodes, he was working to sign other players as some sort of a freelancer and was working behind the scenes to screw up the signing according to stories coming from t'other side of the Pennines. The much maligned Nixon was very accurate except for the score line:

SINGH 1 KEAN 0

If you think Kean is now going to build a team round Rhodes, you have got to be joking.

Kean not only didn't want Rhodes, he was working to sign other players as some sort of a freelancer and was working behind the scenes to screw up the signing according to stories coming from t'other side of the Pennines. The much maligned Nixon was very accurate except for the score line:

SINGH 1 KEAN 0

If you think Kean is now going to build a team round Rhodes, you have got to be joking.

Lovely stuff Phil. I believe the words that come out of Kean's mouth more than the ones that you type.

SINGH 1 KEAN 0

He really doesn't have a choice now. The financial backing he has received means that he needs Rhodes and the team to work.

i think it was mentioned today from some commentators that rhodes was largely playing with his back to goal and holding the ball up, thus bringing his team mates into play. if this is indeed the case and i'm sure that somebody who went to the match will confirm, it is certainly NOT the way that he scored all those goals for huddersfield the last few seasons. so coco's record of bringing in promising players and destroying them , it seems on this occasions has got off to the right (or wrong) start.

That's why the top clubs have shied away from him Blueboy. This day and age you have to be able to play with your back to goal. For £8m, I would have thought that was a consideration. We'll get the argument now that we should play 4-4-2, but that's old hat now. Pace and movement is what kills the opposition - and the clubs who know what they're doing have plenty of that. They wouldn't weaken midfield to accomodate one player.

He doesn't have great pace, but he does, at least from the handful of times that I have seen him, appear to have great movement. He showed that yesterday, he makes very intelligent runs and takes up good space. If you put a bit of pace in around him he'll be fine. Two pacey wingers and a partner up front and he will be in his element. When Best is fit we have the squad to do that.

That's why the top clubs have shied away from him Blueboy. This day and age you have to be able to play with your back to goal. For £8m, I would have thought that was a consideration. We'll get the argument now that we should play 4-4-2, but that's old hat now. Pace and movement is what kills the opposition - and the clubs who know what they're doing have plenty of that. They wouldn't weaken midfield to accomodate one player.

Indeed.

Let's also not forget that we were playing Leeds away here. There may well be games when he gets to show more of what he can do, against weaker opposition and at home for example, but we scored three goals so there's little need in people criticising the attack. From what I heard Rhodes did well so I'm happy and I think people shouldn't be too quick to judge.

Archived