BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] jordan rhodes

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! Whats wrong with these people??? There is about 6 - 7 different threads all dedicated to slagging Blackburn and our Fans!! :blink:

We didnt personally as fans go after rhodes, tbh I dont see anything wrong with the way the club went after Rhodes he was clearly interested all along just we needed to agree a deal both sides were happy with per norm.

Its like us having 6 threads slagging The yak and some chinese club off, or 6 threads dedicated to slaggingg QPR off.

What about Norwiich taking Bunn off us? He put in the best performance out of the 2 keepers last season!!! :wstu:

What about Utd taking Jones off us? We were ALL deliriously happy about that weren't we. :blink: ]

it tends to back up what I was saying in that we did not want or expect to sell to a divisional rival partly because championship clubs would not be able to afford him ( you proved this wrong) and partly because of the memory of the Marcus Stewart sale. If a club did match the 8 million then Hoyle would not stop Rhodes from leaving. It comes back to the fact that Blackburn were actually willing to match the 8 million price tag.

He is a great lad is Jordan Rhodes and you have got yourself a fine player and a fine young man.

He'll no doubt get a long term injury given the jinx that Kean carries with him. However, never mind Jordan Rhodes ...How much do you want for your Chairman ben?

A cold Tuesday night at Barnsley turned our season around. 1 nil down 15 mins left. Jansen on for Egil. He scored then dunn curled 1 in from about 35 yards!

Jansen was still an impact sub, but that was the start of his and rovers' rise.

I was there, it was bitterly cold, was sat about 20 rows back next to an ailse, but somehow ended up at the front patting Dunny on the back when he scored the winner.

We're willing to pay £8m for a player who's never played at the top level, but we won't sack a useless sitting duck of a manager.

It's completely insane.

Yep sums us up.

On one hand I rather like Rhodes. He's done very well in this and the lower leagues, and looks to be a promising talent. On top of which we do need another striker. He's also the right age bracket (peak ahead of him, resale value).

Having said all of that £8 million for a guy who's not done it in top flight is a heck of a gamble. Dempsey is rumoured to go for £7 million, in comparison who's proven prem quality. It really does make you think it's a huge gamble paying so much for someone unproven in the top flight.

Adding to the madness Bryan states is why on earth didn't we spend this £8 million last season to keep us up? Let's say we got 2 £4 million signings in last season rather than Olsson's shadow and a maniquin up front we'd have had a much better chance of staying up.

We really do have no plan whatsoever, and it seems like we change "strategy" every 5 minutes.

One final comment I thought it was very interesting what Grayson said about him moving to Rovers. "Do I think this is the right move for him? I'm not quite sure". Sums it up very well I think.

Rhodes is Shebby Singh's signing yet Shebby has only been in the UK for a matter of weeks during the close season. Prior to arriving in the UK Shebby worked in a promotional role for The Family instigating much of the activity in India. It's unlikely he will have seen much football other than the PL..

Question has to be as Shebby ever watched Rhodes play and on what basis is he paying a rumoured £8m plus 40k / week for the player?

I think the answer to your question Paul, was said at Blakey's bar. Rhodes was/had been discussed and Shebby said that strikers are born, not made. I got the impression then that Shebby thinks that strikers can score goals in any division. Anyway, this thread needs a bit more negativity, so here goes.

Rhodes. Admittedly I've never seen him, but from the comments of the Huddersfield fans, from the youtube clips [tenuous I know] and from the fact that none of the top clubs have come in for a striker who scores goals for fun in the lower leagues, I think he's a penalty box player. I suspect that his all round game isn't great. Nothing wrong with having a goal sniffer in the team at any time, especially in a team that's dominating games and creating plenty of chances. Our problem is that we're being outplayed and having little posession. I doubt Rhodes is going to change that - and teams who are regularly outplayed don't get promoted. That's where the problem lies. If we don't go up this season then IMO we're in big trouble unless the Roas put some of their own cash in. Kamy commented that we have another year of parachutes at the same level as they are now, so maybe we have two seasons to get promotion. That depends on the level of debt though. I guess that the club will lose a lot of cash this season, so to me, it's now or never.

He scored a lot of goals against awful opposition in the lower leagues, but he's not some amazing new young superstar of the future - he's already 22, and most players capable of playing at the top have made it by that age.

Also, it's an utterly insane transfer fee for a club with dwindling assets and crowds of under 14k.

Those are two of my concerns. Can he score goals at a higher level? Surely if he can score that amount of goals in League 1, he can do it in the Championship? You have to be sure to drop that kind of cash on him. It's a lot of money to spend on a player who has only scored goals in the lower division, especially with the way our finances are. If his goals can get us up, then he will be worth it. There's a big question mark though.

Those are two of my concerns. Can he score goals at a higher level? Surely if he can score that amount of goals in League 1, he can do it in the Championship? You have to be sure to drop that kind of cash on him. It's a lot of money to spend on a player who has only scored goals in the lower division, especially with the way our finances are. If his goals can get us up, then he will be worth it. There's a big question mark though.

Hes already 2 in 2 in the championship this season and from what I've seen he will score goals at this level. Its the service into the box that will be the key to how successful he will be at the club.

I was there, it was bitterly cold, was sat about 20 rows back next to an ailse, but somehow ended up at the front patting Dunny on the back when he scored the winner.

Ah memories, OJ. Makes the current situation all the more unbearable. :(

Im sure many have seen this picture.

Instead of excitement I got a shudder

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/hot-shot-rhodes-in-record-rovers-deal-343125.aspx

I've made no comments to you before Ben, but the fact is that Rhodes has signed during this transfer window and your Chairman has accepted a bid from a rival, all of which you went to great ends to deny would happen.

Don't ruin your good reputation on here.

Been away and don't know all the ins and outs of this deal but a few questions come to mind.

Why didn't Venky's splash this sort of cash 12 months ago when it might have helped to keep us in the PL ?

Why instead of a paying top-dollar for an unproven striker didn't they build from the club base up and use this money to pay off Kean and hire a proper manager ?

Why wasn't this cash in part used to buy a left back and pacy winger - both of which the team badly needs ?

I think the answer to your question Paul, was said at Blakey's bar. Rhodes was/had been discussed and Shebby said that strikers are born, not made. I got the impression then that Shebby thinks that strikers can score goals in any division. Anyway, this thread needs a bit more negativity, so here goes.

Rhodes. Admittedly I've never seen him, but from the comments of the Huddersfield fans, from the youtube clips [tenuous I know] and from the fact that none of the top clubs have come in for a striker who scores goals for fun in the lower leagues, I think he's a penalty box player. I suspect that his all round game isn't great. Nothing wrong with having a goal sniffer in the team at any time, especially in a team that's dominating games and creating plenty of chances. Our problem is that we're being outplayed and having little posession. I doubt Rhodes is going to change that - and teams who are regularly outplayed don't get promoted. That's where the problem lies. If we don't go up this season then IMO we're in big trouble unless the Roas put some of their own cash in. Kamy commented that we have another year of parachutes at the same level as they are now, so maybe we have two seasons to get promotion. That depends on the level of debt though. I guess that the club will lose a lot of cash this season, so to me, it's now or never.

You've just described Goodwillie :rock:

Rhodes wanted to speak to us, he wouldn't have been able to do so had the Hoyle rejected the offer, he took the dosh, end of story, you got a great deal.

I agree fully with you. I wasn't making a point or inferring anything about the transfer. Just passing relevant information on.

It is a great deal for all parties.

Been away and don't know all the ins and outs of this deal but a few questions come to mind.

Why didn't Venky's splash this sort of cash 12 months ago when it might have helped to keep us in the PL ?

Why instead of a paying top-dollar for an unproven striker didn't they build from the club base up and use this money to pay off Kean and hire a proper manager ?

Why wasn't this cash in part used to buy a left back and pacy winger - both of which the team badly needs ?

Good questions

1. In January, if they'd played the players they had they would have stayed up. Nelson, Samba, Salgado and Roberts would have been more than enough. They didn't because of wages so I suspect an £8M player in the Prem would want £80K a week. Also as they hadn't sold Samba they might not have had the money. This is unlikely as they've got Rhodes on HP over 4 years. So Wages it was.

2. Amazingly they must still think Kean can get us back up. However I'm really beginning to think Kean might not be picking the team and might not have been doing so for a long time. Any decent manager wouldn't allow interference so they sound like they've sounded people out but they won't come..

3. And a good centre back and proper tackling midfielder with a bit of zip. Unless some of the imports improve dramatically things won't improve on the pitch and we might have got a high as we are going to get in this league.

• Backroom

Why does everyone keep saying Rhodes is Singh's signing?

Apparently Shebby wanted him, I think a lot of it is people backed Shebby initially and now feel somehow justified In that after looking daft after some of his comments and doubting their initial judgement. for me unless he has stumped up the cash himself I don't see why he is worthy of ott praise for bringing a target in when backed with cash from the owners.

Happy it's done now mind and the main positive is if it's someone he wanted and not Kean it shows there is a shift in power possibly and Kean isn't secure, however having a no mark Malaysian tv pundit picking your targets is only a minor step up from Tombo doing it with Vineeth on Facebook!

Apparently Shebby wanted him, I think a lot of it is people backed Shebby initially and now feel somehow justified In that after looking daft after some of his comments and doubting their initial judgement. for me unless he has stumped up the cash himself I don't see why he is worthy of ott praise for bringing a target in when backed with cash from the owners.

Happy it's done now mind and the main positive is if it's someone he wanted and not Kean it shows there is a shift in power possibly and Kean isn't secure, however having a no mark Malaysian tv pundit picking your targets is only a minor step up from Tombo doing it with Vineeth on Facebook!

Ha Ha - think I prefer Tombo!

Unless we suddenly have a scouting network again Shebby must have guessed Rhodes will be okay - I doubt if he's seen him play.

Archived