BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The nPower Championship 12/13

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wolves hit an all time low losing to Barnsley , they need to get rid of that hopeless manager fast or they look to be facing another relegation. To think they were bookies favourites to bounce straight back into the Premiership at the beginning of the season.

The similarities with Rovers, in terms of management decisions, are startling:

Allardyce - McCarthy (Sacked knee jerk fashion by the owners - not the Chief Exec)

Kean - Connor* (Novice, out of depth coach promoted - albeit Kean wasn't even an assistant - both shocking and ultimately relegated their clubs)

Berg - Solbakken (Norwegian gamble which also failed miserably)

Appleton - Saunders (Reasonably likeable man's man type managers although still both a bit green, both with massive tasks to rebuild their clubs and without a real quality of experience in PL or Championship management).

There are still enough games left for both managers to race each other to League One - double-relegation style. *gulp*

*apologies to Terry Connor for comparing him to Kean

• 2 weeks later...

Is that 5 wins on the trot for Billy Davies? He was by far the outstanding attainable potential candidate after Berg was sacked.

I doubt anyone would have complained about the appointment of Davies had it happened. I doubt anyone had the name of Appleton on their lips before he was appointed.

Ditto Saunders at Wolves. Don't think anyone would have predicted that either. Make a good appointment and let the good times roll. Make a poor one and you suffer accordingly.

Seems so obvious.

Is that 5 wins on the trot for Billy Davies? He was by far the outstanding attainable potential candidate after Berg was sacked.

I doubt anyone would have complained about the appointment of Davies had it happened. I doubt anyone had the name of Appleton on their lips before he was appointed.

Ditto Saunders at Wolves. Don't think anyone would have predicted that either. Make a good appointment and let the good times roll. Make a poor one and you suffer accordingly.

Seems so obvious.

To the contrary, plenty were against Davies being appointed.

An excellent, proven manager at this level, ( so obviously Venky's didn't want him ).

God, we could end up running this very very close, bad set of results for us today and now 6 points off the drop zone with 10 games left.

For those who have a perverted interest in such things, we're currently twelve points away from 6th place.

For us to go down is almost unthinkable, but if we keep on losing games, it could well happen. We'd help our cause considerably if we could actually put the ball in the net. A morale-boosting result at the New Den (such an imaginatively-named ground) would hopefully put us in the right frame of mind. So I'll go for a 3-1 win for Millwall then.

Looking at our run-in, it's not particularly easy, either. sorry to be a misery-guts, but we're so poor right now, we're just sitting ducks for the teams below us. And as I've previously said, we need to finish this season on a high to give us momentum for 2013-14. I just can't see that happening, either.

Basically, I'd like the season to be over now. It's been one long pain-fest.

A morale-boosting result at the New Den (such an imaginatively-named ground) would hopefully put us in the right frame of mind. So I'll go for a 3-1 win for Millwall then.

How does that work Bryan? A morale boosting win at Arsenal has done nowt for us.

To the contrary, plenty were against Davies being appointed.

An excellent, proven manager at this level, ( so obviously Venky's didn't want him ).

Were they? That wasn't my impression.

I probably made the point that his appointment was unlikely due to his abrasive personality. That's not the same as not wanting him.

Were they? That wasn't my impression.

I probably made the point that his appointment was unlikely due to his abrasive personality. That's not the same as not wanting him.

I think Shebby would've fought hard against Davies's appointment for the reason you mention.

We can talk about managers for as long as we want, but the reason we're where we are, isn't because of our managers, it's because we've sold complete Premier League squad and replaced it with dross. The only way we'll get back into the PL, is when we can get a better squad together, than we currently have.

We can talk about managers for as long as we want, but the reason we're where we are, isn't because of our managers, it's because we've sold complete Premier League squad and replaced it with dross. The only way we'll get back into the PL, is when we can get a better squad together, than we currently have.

How then do you explain McCleish's performance at Forest as opposed to that of Davies?

Undoubtedly that's been a major factor but so has the choice of managers.

How does that work Bryan? A morale boosting win at Arsenal has done nowt for us.

"would hopefully", I just put that in there as a back-stop against being portrayed as a misery-fetishist.

Quite frankly, even if we beat Millwall, I'd fully expect our league torpor to continue.

Come off it Den. Davies has turned round a very ordinary Forest side .... ditto the bloke at Bolton. It's not all about players - good managers can make a significant difference.

Our owners / adminstrators between them have made 3 disastrous appointments and they all have one thing in common - a lack of experience.

After the Kean debacle if they had gone for McCarthy instead of Berg and the likes of Davies instead of Appleton we wouldn't be struggling now.

Had a look at the league table tonight and I don't like the look of it one bit - all the teams below are starting to pick up good results.

Another bad set of results next weekend it could be time to resurrect the relegation thread.

• Backroom

Whilst only 6 points off the bottom and in poor form there is also a reason why the other teams are down there

Of course some of them are in form but all the teams below us can't keep winning, 2-3 wins should see us ok, whilst it looks like one win is hard to come by right now that can change in an instant

Whilst only 6 points off the bottom and in poor form there is also a reason why the other teams are down there

Of course some of them are in form but all the teams below us can't keep winning, 2-3 wins should see us ok, whilst it looks like one win is hard to come by right now that can change in an instant

That blase attitude being redolent of what we were told last year, and the last half season before that.

Fact is, we can't buy a win at the moment. I'd say it's just as likely we'll carry on in a similar vein as much as we might nick a couple of wins.

In any case, I think it will be much too close for comfort.

On the other hand like the Premier League there's usually one or two teams that drops like a stone from mid-table at the end of the season.

The teams currently at the bottom might be poor but they are fighting for their lives, and it's all about form at this time of the season.

Note Leicester lost yet again today - their only win in the last 6 or 7 was against us.

Come off it Den. Davies has turned round a very ordinary Forest side .... ditto the bloke at Bolton. It's not all about players - good managers can make a significant difference.

The only way they'll make a significant difference to this club is by bringing in better players. We're not in the promotion places Jim, because we don't, or should I say, haven't had one of the best squads in the league. We weren't relegated because of a bad manager, we were relegated because he sold the entire PL squad. If Kean hadn't done that, even he would have kept us up. Now if we hadn't had the long term injuries we've had this season, then we would quite likely be above where we are now - whoever is/was managing.

• Backroom

The only way they'll make a significant difference to this club is by bringing in better players. We're not in the promotion places Jim, because we don't, or should I say, haven't had one of the best squads in the league. We weren't relegated because of a bad manager, we were relegated because he sold the entire PL squad. If Kean hadn't done that, even he would have kept us up. Now if we hadn't had the long term injuries we've had this season, then we would quite likely be above where we are now - whoever is/was managing.

How do you explain the rise of Bolton/Forest if not acknowledging the manager's impact? Neither have overhauled their respective teams, yet both have shown *significant* improvement.

Why bother with any manager in that case ?

How do you explain the rise of Bolton/Forest if not acknowledging the manager's impact? Neither have overhauled their respective teams, yet both have shown *significant* improvement.

It took Freedman a long time to get that improvement. He took over before Berg remember. Prior to that his record was very similar to Appleton's.

Forest is a totally different kettle of fish. They're an established Championship club and generally pretty settled. They didn't need a rebuilding job they just needed tweaking.

Archived