SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He lost both Young and Downing the Summer he took over

But as I just edited into my earlier post, he spent a lot of that on players who failed for him.

N'Zogbia £9.5 m

Hutton £4 m

Given £3.5 m

Jenas

That's a lot of money wasted. None of them had a good season last year.

its not like we need to interview like you would for a normal job. Everyone's record is there in the public to see. Its just a case of cherry picking the best and trying to match their demands. If for example with Harry we can't fair enough, move on to olly.

People also forget , Holloway got Leicester City relegated.. The guy is a clown...suited with Blackpool

My biggest fear is Holloway and Blackpool are made for each other, just as Hughes and us, Arry is a no brainer, doesnt suffer fools and would have a good back room team with him, having said that, I would take Berg, he can organise, no question about that!!

He got them relegated in 2005-2006. Next.

And he was in charge for half the season they went down "under McLeish" the first time. They got more points per game under McLeish than they did under Bruce that season.

But as I just edited into my earlier post, he spent a lot of that on players who failed for him.

N'Zogbia £9.5 m

Hutton £4 m

Given £3.5 m

Jenas

That's a lot of money wasted.

A fraction of what Young and Downing sold for.

Lambert's only just started at Villa, he'd done very good work at Norwich though.

League Cup or not, Mcleish has been a failure in England, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Ewood.

The year they won the league cup they went down by a single point on the last day. Is one point really the line between success and failure? One more point and that would have gone down as a pretty good season.

to be fair those names mentioned would improve any squad - id have any of them.

It's pretty telling that Jenas is now on loan in the Championship and the other 3 can't get a look in under Lambert.

To be honest they're typical McLeish signings - very unimaginative. Same at Birmingham where he'd just sign the likes of Barry Ferguson, Lee Bowyer, Steven Carr, Liam Ridgewell etc etc. He doesn't even entertain the idea of unearthing hidden gems, he just goes for obvious names all the time. Martin O'Neill tends to the same actually, but with a higher class of player that actually enhance the squad.

It's pretty telling that Jenas is now on loan in the Championship and the other 3 can't get a look in under Lambert.

To be honest they're typical McLeish signings - very unimaginative. Same at Birmingham where he'd just sign the likes of Barry Ferguson, Lee Bowyer, Steven Carr, Liam Ridgewell etc etc. He doesn't even entertain the idea of unearthing hidden gems, he just goes for obvious names all the time. Martin O'Neill tends to the same actually, but with a higher class of player that actually enhance the squad.

fair comment but i still would have any one of them at Rovers

The year they won the league cup they went down by a single point on the last day. Is one point really the line between success and failure? One more point and that would have gone down as a pretty good season.

Well, ultimately it didn't go down as a pretty good season.

I wouldn't profess to be an expert on him, but my intuitive feeling is that he isn't for us.

Seeing as Redknapp is interested, there is only one job to do.

Sign him up.

I am a little surprised to hear you saying this Philip.

Does the prospect of - honest 'Arry + a cavalier attitude to borrowing + naive & dumb owners + non-naive agents - not fill your financial sensibilities with some nervousness?

Yeah that's fair enough, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that circa £17 million was spent on players that didn't contribute to their season.

You have to look at his net spend. He replaced Downing with Nzogbia. He didn't replace Young. Hutton was/is a decent player and if I remember correctly, he also got injured. Shay Given was an excellent keeper.

You've failed to mention the injuries to Bent and illness to Petrov. Just ask Bolton how they copes with the Muamba incident. It does affect players.

Well, ultimately it didn't go down as a pretty good season.

I wouldn't profess to be an expert on him, but my intuitive feeling is that he isn't for us.

Which is completely fair enough.

I remember a time on here when people said they didn't want Martin O'Neill after he left Villa and had been unemployed for a while - I bet most if not all would take him now. There seems to be chronic short termism when it comes to how we judge managers.

Anyway, I'll stop now. I'm coming across as if I really want Eck which I don't, I just think he's better than he's getting credit for.

You have to look at his net spend. He replaced Downing with Nzogbia. He didn't replace Young. Hutton was/is a decent player and if I remember correctly, he also got injured. Shay Given was an excellent keeper..

He chose not to replace Young (fair enough given that Albrighton looked a real talent in the previous season).

The net spend is irrelevant when judging the signings. He spent £17 million on players that didn't do anything. If you spend £17 million on players you expect them to make an impact in your team, regardless of how much money is coming in.

32 days and counting and in a right old mess.

The Arry thing simply doesn't smell right and I think is a load of b 0 l l 0 c k s.

As for Berg and McLeish, wtf is the criteria ? No thank you.

At this stage, providing he would take it. I would wait for the guy who is, IMO, streets ahead in every aspect, and that is OGS. However, that boat might have sailed as I think he might have been p1ssed about a tad too much.

I've got fed up with it and now I'm just hoping we don't dodge a huge bullet by employing someone completely out of their depth again. If they really are interviewing Harry Redknapp then hopefully there's some common sense being employed here. Perhaps Shebby will get starstruck and give him a contract there and then.

That said we all know that he's non plussed about experience and wants a protege "as this is the most exciting group of candidates". I really hope he has a moment of clarity to realize how ridiculous that sounds considering we must get promoted for financial reasons.

Archived