BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

Got them relegated.

Won them a trophy. Like I said, has anyone done better at Birmingham? He also got them promoted. Do you have a different definition to atrocious to me? They're a yo-yo club but no one ever got them higher than McLeish.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interviews, interviews, interviews. Total waste of time, Decide who you want, agree to give him what's necessary and do the deal.

It depends to some extent who's interested doesn't it. Hope Ferguson does'nt apply. "Sorry Sir Alex, could you wait in line over there for your interview behind Henning Berg and Karl Robinson please?"

Got them relegated.

I love how brfcs works sometimes.

Holloway got Blackpool promoted.....McLeish got Birmingham relegated.

McCarthy would just take us back down even though he kept Wolves up for 2 seasons and they were outside the relegation zone when he was sacked.....let's also conviently fail to mention that Holoway did that with Blackpool as he never altered his tactics.

McLeish is solid defensively in the prem just not enough of a threat going forward.....McCarthy is pretty much the opposite.....both have experience of getting teams promoted but I'd prefer McLeish to McCarthy.......Holloway can come if he hires a defensive coach.

Won them a trophy. Like I said, has anyone done better at Birmingham? He also got them promoted. Do you have a different definition to atrocious to me? They're a yo-yo club but no one ever got them higher than McLeish.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. McLeish is a terrible manager in a lot of ways. He plays awful football and both Birmingham and Villa still haven't recovered from his reign.

Holloway got Blackpool promoted.....McLeish got Birmingham relegated.

Few will admit it but the only reason there is love for Holloway is because he's funny to watch on Youtube and the media love him for his "attacking style" of football. If he wasn't so loved by the media for those two reasons he'd be treated like McLeish or McCarthy have been by our fans and told he wasn't wanted.

Well have to agree to disagree. The fact remains that most recently he took one Club down and followed that up by nearly repeating the feat at another extremely well established Premiership Club.

Not good in my book.

just had a horrible thought, has Freddy Krueger been interveiwed yet?

Yeah, the club decided on Freddy Krueger. Jason Vorhees is coming in as his assistant, and we've got the Exorcist as the head coach. If anything, at least our new management has got the bloody "never say die" look to them. Though turning our players into the mutilated undead isn't a good idea. Our football will be in shambles.

And no, I'm not angry about the minor thing. I'm happy living in a small Asian country. Not sure why people thought otherwise. Like I said, I've got no problems with it because as SydneyRovers put it, it's a fact. The league is minor, the country is small, the economy is insignificant when compared to the United Kingdom or Australia. Nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to be proud of either.

Hmmm, real business man.

Sometimes Braddock you do surprise me, I am happy to have discussions with you at any time, 'you put your point, I'll put mine and then we decide I was right all along' Both Brian Clough and Jack Walkers philosophy!!

Well have to agree to disagree. The fact remains that most recently he took one Club down and followed that up by nearly repeating the feat at another extremely well established Premiership Club.

Not good in my book.

I think you're being a tad unfair on McLeish. He lost a lot of key players when he was at Villa. Downing and Young were both sold and not replaced. Darren Bent was injured for majority of last season as well as the loss of their captain due to Lukemia. Randy Lerner has stopped backing them in the transfer window and there was a big difference in money spent by Martin O'Neill and McLeish.

Yes he took Birmingham down, but like T4E said, how many managers have managed to establish Birmingham as a PL side?

+1.

Subject to the £'s obviously den. But they should be agreeing on that in advance of sitting down. Otherwise what's the point? 3 hour interview with H Redknapp. All agreed. "Oh and the money Harry?" "I want £2.5 million and the Ribble Valley please." "Oh...."

"Interviews". It's not as though nobody knows the apllicants and their records is it?!? Oh hang on... you can't tell with our lot.

When clubs came in for Furphy, Kendal, Lee etc Bob....... did they go trough an interview process? I don't think so. Find out if your target wants to come, then approach his club. If the manager in question wants it bad enough, he'll push his bosses to allow him to talk. If that falls though, then decide who you want next.

I think you're being a tad unfair on McLeish. He lost a lot of key players when he was at Villa. Downing and Young were both sold and not replaced. Darren Bent was injured for majority of last season as well as the loss of their captain due to Lukemia. Randy Lerner has stopped backing them in the transfer window and there was a big difference in money spent by Martin O'Neill and McLeish.

Yes he took Birmingham down, but like T4E said, how many managers have managed to establish Birmingham as a PL side?

Steve Bruce did! I still remember those times, and we took Robbie Savage off him! Ha ha ha!

Rev, what's your view of Lambert then? He's probably doing a worse job at Villa than McLeish did.... and he's not had the fans on his back since day 1.

Not that I think McLeish is the answer, just making the point.

I think he's a much better manager than McCleish who over the course of the season will do a lot better.

Time will tell I guess but I think he's also blooding a lot of young players as well.

Rev, what's your view of Lambert then? He's probably doing a worse job at Villa than McLeish did.... and he's not had the fans on his back since day 1.

Not really much of a point given that we're only in October though, and Lambert is trying to fix the issues that he inherited on a limited budget. Villa have finished 16th and 17th in the last couple of seasons so he's got a very tough job to turn that around, it's certainly a job that'll take longer than a couple of months.

He's already shown far more in the transfer market than McLeish ever did with Benteke, El Ahmadi and Vlaar adding quality for relatively little money.

I think you're being a tad unfair on McLeish. He lost a lot of key players when he was at Villa. Downing and Young were both sold and not replaced.

But that's not true. He spent £9.5 milllion on N'Zogbia and he flopped. That's about the same amount as Lambert spent on the three I mentioned above.

He also wasted £4 million on Alan Hutton, £3.5 million on a fading Shay Given and paid significant wages to a permanently injured Jermaine Jenas.

Not a single signing of his was a success, and the combined fees weren't far off £20 million.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. McLeish is a terrible manager in a lot of ways. He plays awful football and both Birmingham and Villa still haven't recovered from his reign.

He lost both Young and Downing the Summer he took over. Lambert has done nothing there to suggest McLeish was the only issue.

I'm not saying he's the perfect answer, but he's a better option than a lot we've been linked with.

The part in bold isn't true or so my Villa relatives have told me......it's just a media untruth, similar to the situation between us and Kean.

"It's not where you're from, it's where you're taking us" was their tagline.

McLeish is good if the team he's managing is the underdog.....makes teams hard to beat and concedes little......but at Villa, they would be expected to go out and try and win the majority of the games but it didn't suit him.......although O'Neill spent absolutely loads when they finished 6th three years in a row.

So five to be interviewed.. which ones though.. ? Based on comments it looks likely to be Berg, Grayson, Arry, Holloway and McCleish? Bizarre interviewing so many especially given we know what they can do, and very interesting we are likely to be interviewing (and destabalising) 2 promotion rivals managers.

What a mad cap six weeks it has been from Kean days to some of the big names in the game and now possibly having someone this week.. Shearer, Holloway, Sherwood and McKinley all apparently have been definates for the job at one stage or another..

One thing to be said is if the list is right I personally cant see a single manager in there who is a yes man..

The weirdest thing though is the names of those who applied, expressed an interest or where linked.. even in our premier league days having such people linked would of suprised me (Schuster seemed to get the ball rolling then they came thick and fast with names including Trapattoni, Antic, Rijkaard, Clemente, Flitcroft, Sousa, McCarthy, Curbs...) .. what the hell is going on?

I find it hard to believe these names have been linked (and many confirmed as applying) without some hint at either the wage on offer, full control or a massive transfer budget because while it is a decent squad it is 5-6 players short of being a comeptitive premier league squad, we possibly have the worst set of owners of any football club in recent memory, a board of directors to match and a set of fans who has been thrown into a poor light by most of the press in the last two years....

I will not be surprised if berg gets the job. He would have had over 5 weeks preparing himself for this interview, and I'm pretty sure he will present an full analysis of all aspects of our team both in last season and this season. Then he will present what he will do differently etc. I think shaw and shebby will be impressed with what he is presenting

Archived