BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Vs Rovers

Get a feckin life !

If there were positives, I'd be raving about them.

We have just lost two home games on the bounce and are 4 points of play-offs with 4 or 5 difficult fixtures to come.

There were enough negatives to be talking about than quoting somebody else point, changing the subject and moaning about the manager.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were enough negatives to be talking about than quoting somebody else point, changing the subject and moaning about the manager.

Berg is paid a fortune relative to 99% of Rovers' fans.

Quite simply, he isn't delivering and doesn't look like delivering. Freedman out thought him with ease and that's why Bolton for 75/80 minutes were streets ahead and could / should have been 3 or 4 goals to the good.

We all want Rovers to do well but when things are dire and not working, it's no good being in denial.

Quite simply, he isn't delivering and doesn't look like delivering. Freedman out thought him with ease and that's why Bolton for 75/80 minutes were streets ahead and could / should have been 3 or 4 goals to the good.

We all want Rovers to do well but when things are dire and not working, it's no good being in denial.

denial a river in egypt.[sorry]

First paragraph - and? I'm pretty sure 99% of Rovers fans think the Rovers manager should be paid more than themselves.

Second paragraph - quite simply, he's just joined. And yes, we got majorly battered tonight.

Third paragraph - You're too used to being on the down and presuming everything means get rid.

Just got home from game and a few pints with some happy Wanderers. I can barely type as I'm that shocked at our performance.

Robbo was ok I thought although I missed 2nd goal as I was chatting. The first goal summed us up, we can't get tight or mark a player, we just ball watch.

Our game is so slow, no width, fullbacks look nervous going forward and cannot mark a player. Bolton could have been 3 or 4 up in the 1st half. Centre halves are very poor, look very weak on the ball, but there is so little movement ahead of them it makes a mockery of our tactic of playing from the back.

Midfield is our weakest area, and that is saying something!! There is nothing creative in there, Formica is at his best on the edge of the box, forget about the rest of his game, he's too slow. Murphy wants to play a short passing game, but there isn't the quality or movement around him, Etuhu, built like a player who should dominate midfield.....not worth a place in the team. Rochina looks the only one with technical ability but the team are too slow to allow his obvious tallent to blossom. King....didn't see enough of him. Rhodes, isolated. CKR looked very impressive when he came on, a must start next game. Peds made us look more dangerous and I would start him. Lowe is a bit slow but would start him also.

I couldn't believe the ironic cheers when Rochina was subbed.

On a personal note, my phone has been rather warm tonight due to my Bolton pals. That was as poor a performance I can remember.

No passion or pride in this current bunch of bodies inside the Blue and White jersey.

Berg has a very tough task ahead of him.

sorry never ment rhodes he was on my mind ment jason lowe.

That makes more sense. Lowe seems to have support on here but he gave the ball away a number of times when he came on, we need more than a willing runner. He's not the answer.

Nuno Gomes would have provided numerous chances for Rhodes if he had been allowed to continue that productive partnership. His omission from the squad tonight, if not injured or spitting his dummy, is serious cause for concern and would make me question Berg's judgement.

Build a team round Rhodes and we have a chance, continue to isolate him and we will struggle. Best will deputise if he's injured.

Playing one up front has made us easy to counter and any decent manager has seen and exploited this tactical cowardice.

Dunno why MGP would ever wanna play for us again after how the fans have treated him.

"He creates and scores goals."

"But he's **** and can't tackle."

"But he creates and scores goals."

"But only cause he takes all the set pieces."

"But he creates and scores goals."

"But he's old and slow, definitely past it."

"But he creates and scores f'ing goals!"

Anyway, I'm sure some fans still have a hilarious theory for how we're doing better without him.

I can't find Pedersen's assists record. But his goals record...he hasn't scored more than 4 goals in a season since 2009/2010 (and that was only 5), and that's after making a lot of appearances, and in all competitions. In the league alone, his recent goals record in the league is:

2007/2008 4 goals in 37

2008/2009 1 goal in 33

2009/2010 3 goals in 33

2010/2011 4 goals in 35

2011/2012 3 goals in 33

2012/2013 1 goal in 12

This goals record is unremarkable, for five and a half seasons now (the half being in the Chumpionship) and doesn't compensate for a player who, in addition to all the failings you mentioned, is often sloppy in possession and makes wayward passes out of the most basic ones. If you can't observe that his contribution to our general play is a huge liability, a decent workrate aside, then you probably aren't paying enough attention. I know the guy gets a decent amount of assists, I've heard that said before, but I don't know how many. But I do know it doesn't compensate for him being garbage 90 percent of the time.

For the goals consideration, by point of comparison, the much-maligned Mauro Formica scored 4 goals in 34 last season, and 1 in 11 so far this season. So, (very slightly) better than MGP. And from what I've seen of the two of them, he's better for our general play. And doesn't earn a reputed 2 million or so a year in wages. Sell, sell, sell, if anyone will take.

How do you improve Murphy when his legs have gone? Rochina is totally unsuited to English football, and have you ever seen a goalkeeper beaten on his near post as often as Robinson? Sadly, quite a number of our players are not good enough. All the successful managers in recent times at Ewood - Lee, Kendall, Kenny, Souness, Hughes, Big Sam, have built sides with players they have brought in to do specific jobs. Berg has to be given the same chance and also has to be given a free hand and not given players that others have bought for him.

Berg took over at the same time as McCarthy and Freedman at other struggling clubs and in both cases have already brought about a significant improvement in form and results. Rovers meanwhile have gone backwards under Berg. I acknowledge that there are weaknesses in the Rovers squad but we are not improving and tonight was downright shocking. A good manager would have had a positive effect on the team. I hope I am proved wrong but I do not think Henning Berg has the makings of a good manager.

Berg might be long term strategically good but he's tactically weak. Both Millwall and Bolton came with a plan. Defend high up the pitch. Give Rochina and Murphy little time on ball. We reverted to Kean mode against Bolton. The problem is Murphy and Etuhu cannot defend high up the pitch. Too slow. Why wasn't Formica helping Henley out when Eagles was tearing him to shreds? Our only half decent players Dann and Rhodes. Robinson is not good enough as a Championship keeper. Pls bring Friedel! We have started to go backwards under Berg.

Agree on all points except rhodes who imo brings nothing to the team has no vision and his only contrabuting factor his he is very good at passing the ball backwards

dwtb that is a bit unfair as in front of him there is no good movement and he was not bought to link up play as Black & now Berg have stated asking him to hold up play is not his game he is the one who scores but he needs some help up there and midfield to supply him as much as it pains me to say it he needs a Jason Roberts type player to do the donkey work.

Didn't go. Saw bergs response on ss. Seems quite stern and a bit keaned off. Hopefully we see a big change at the Burnley game.

Good. Someone needs to put the fear into this squad of under performers.

We had no heart or desire anywhere in that team tonight, exactly the traits needed in a derby match.

Play the reserves. They might actually have some fight in them.

Leaving players out such as Givet, Pedersen and CKR is baffling given who's playing instead of them.

CKR is not baffling. He's petulant and mental. He's not someone I'd want in my dressing room.

MGP I've mixed emotions about.

Givet's absence, as well as Vukcevik's, is baffling.

For two successive games now we have seen the visiting keeper come and claim several corners under no pressure at all, sometimes inside his own six yard box. I would rather see somebody clatter him a couple of times than give him a freebie. Our set plays used to give us a really good chance of scoring but now we offer very little threat.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, Den. I would keep many more. It is certain areas of the team that are either not good enough, not fit enough, or not prepared well enough. This squad IS good enough for promotion, but I don't believe they will achieve it.

. Sorry Devon but our squad is very very poor and would need a complete clear out if by a miracle we were promoted.

2 changes I'd make right away, Givet at left-back and Martin Ollson on the flank where he's played all his good football with Nuno Gomes up with Rhodes. Both were scoring freely early in the season.

I know we've allegedly strengthened the defence but..............

I agree Givet ideally should play centre-back by the way but due to the paucity of our squad its not feasible at the moment.

Finger pointed directly at the players. As poor as the tactics (or lack thereof) were, we were second to almost every ball, there was absolutely no movement when we had the ball, no leadership whatsoever- all things you don't need a manager to tell you to do.

Etuhu is one of the worst players I've ever seen. I have no clue what he is there for. Can't pass, can't tackle, no authority.

Robinson passed his sell by date about 18 months ago. Henley good going forward but almost every time Bolton looked dangerous, it was from the left.

Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over with the same outcome. Rochina must be insane.

Givet, Pedersen and Simon would make this starting XI watchable. Incredible.

Clearly, a number who went to tonight's game felt Rovers 'were not up for it'. Absolutely staggering - a derby match, biggest gate of the season and a newish manager. IMO, says it all, this lot of players are not good enough and neither is the manager. As a supporter, as a minimum, I expect those 11 in blue and white out there to run their feckin b o l l o c k s off.

We are in a right old mess. We all knew this season was going to be huge. It all started badly in June when Kean should have been sacked. Instead, he was allowed to continue and bring in, IMO, more playing dross. We then compound matters by again appointing, IMO, a managerial novice in terms of English football.

Not trying to be dramatic here but we could be witnessing the collapse of our once great club.

Surely you mean continuing collapse.

Bolton have a squad of players who are more suited to this League than the Rovers. Warnock, Knight, Andrews, Spearing, Davies, Eagles, etc all know what is required. Berg has been handed a bunch of "fancy dans" and one or two ageing former top notch players and is expected to get the best out of them. Merlin the Magician couldn't do it let alone Berg! We have got rid of players who would have served us well and replaced them with dross. We have paid £8 million pound for a centre-forward who can't play centre-forward. He is a goal poacher who requires service in the box but nobody in authority at the club seemed to notice that we hadn't got the players to service him. The whole transfer strategy has been a joke. Berg has inherited a mess and needs time to sort it out. If we are in the same position in twelve months time then fair enough have a go at him. However, the guy hasn't been here twelve weeks yet. I seem to recall many United fans wanted rid of Fergie not long after he arrived but fortunately the club stuck with him. I'm not saying Berg will bring success but he needs to be given a chance. Even Kean and Ince got longer before the fans turned on them.

last nites performance was a disgrace....

if i was in charge there are more than a few who would never put on a blue & white shirt again..!!...

no passion, lack of basic skills, etc. etc

to many cannot comprehend the word professionalism......

my team for sunday.....

Kean

Henley - Hanley - Givet - Ollsson

Vukcevik - Lowe - MGP - CKR

Rhodes - Gomez

hoping and pray we can save a total embarrasment on sunday - play like last nite, and we could be in for a proper hiding.....

Archived