Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

jim mk2

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Wolves (a) and Ipswich (h)

Thanks. Wolves could be an interesting one. They might put on a performance to try and stay up, whilst Ipswich can be difficult. I doubt they'll go down, but a bit of a scare for the dingles would be amusing.

Thanks. Wolves could be an interesting one. They might put on a performance to try and stay up, whilst Ipswich can be difficult. I doubt they'll go down, but a bit of a scare for the dingles would be amusing.

I think their equaliser against Cardiff last week probably kept them up sadly. Still, our lowest point in the last 25 years or so and they still couldn't beat us, and may not even finsh above us.

Who knows what our summer will be like, but with the likely outgoings of Austin and a couple of senior pros on free transfers, along with a good deal of belt tightening going on, the Dingles may well have blown their best chance at getting one over us for a good while.

Well feel quite vindicated that we're staying up. Always thought we would - although in the end it looks like it'll be a bit more comfortable than I imagined.

Realistically we'd have to get nothing from our remaining games and all the other teams get wins. Even in this crazy league I can't see that happening.

Interestingly Burnley should be very worried. Wolves are fighting for their lives and Ipswich's form since McCarthy took over has been excellent. It's more than possible that they're staring 2 defeats in the face. The fact Huddersfield and Barnsley play each other might be Burnley's saving grace.

Next season with several of our better players gone and another transfer window for Shabby to work his (black) magic and we'll be struggling just as much or more. Probably best we keep the thread open for next season.

Interestingly Burnley should be very worried. Wolves are fighting for their lives and Ipswich's form since McCarthy took over has been excellent. It's more than possible that they're staring 2 defeats in the face. The fact Huddersfield and Barnsley play each other might be Burnley's saving grace.

Next season with several of our better players gone and another transfer window for Shabby to work his (black) magic and we'll be struggling just as much or more. Probably best we keep the thread open for next season.

Horns of a dilemma................. My heart wants Wolves to win but my head is up for Burnley

We should be safe now but it shows how far we have fallen that trying to stave off relegation is our main aim these days. It's pretty damning that we probably have one of if not the highest wage bills in the division and we are a million miles away from seriously mounting a promotion challenge.

Without widespread change from top to bottom I can see us battling relegation again next season.

Actually quite looking forward to watching the relegation dog fight now that we are pretty much out of it. There could be a few very worried teams going into the last day of the season. Wolves, Peterborough, Barnsley, Burnley, Huddersfield, Millwall, Sheff W , Blackpool and even us to a certain degree could go into the last day of the season needing to pick up points to survive.

Think Barnsley will go and probably Wolves as well. However, Burnley with a tough away game against Wolves which I think they'll lose and a tricky match against Ipswich on the final day. You never know. They look woefully short on goals without Austin so they could be in real danger. Millwall as well seem short on goals, have major injury problems and now have Shittu suspended for a while. They could struggle.

All I can say is hurrah for Steve Kean. Without the brilliant start he gave us we would have been relegated long ago.

:lol: Surely you aren't thinking you will wind anyone up with that are you Jim?

However my suggestion would be that we could erect a statue of him next to Jack Walker's....... ....... A large erect phallus with an enormous bell end mounted on a scrotum inscribed with $ signs would be my suggestion.

:lol: Surely you aren't thinking you will wind anyone up with that are you Jim?

Loathe like everyone else but it's a statement of fact: we were riding high when he left and have slumped since. Without those points we'd be bottom of the league by a distance.

All I can say is hurrah for Steve Kean. Without the brilliant start he gave us we would have been relegated long ago.

Hurrah my ass, without him we wouldn't have been relegated from the Prem.

Well feel quite vindicated that we're staying up. Always thought we would - although in the end it looks like it'll be a bit more comfortable than I imagined.

Realistically we'd have to get nothing from our remaining games and all the other teams get wins. Even in this crazy league I can't see that happening.

Even if we lose both games it would take quite a set of results for us to go down - obviously possible but I'm not sure how likely it is. Very much in our own hands, 2 winnable games but in reality a single point pretty much assures our safety for another season.

Been quite an interesting end to the season with more twists yet to come I'm sure

• Backroom

Why are people biting to such a sad, desperate wind up?

I think because since Kean left, and things got worse, history is gradually being rewritten by certain people to suggest he wasn't so bad after all.

Our start to the season was appalling in all aspects save results, and whilst football is of course a results-based business, there is no chance in hell that we would have continued chugging along at the top of the table playing the way we were at the start of the season. The Boro match (Kean's last match?) was proof that we were awful and on the verge of being found out. Kean just left before the sh1t hit the fan.

I think because since Kean left, and things got worse, history is gradually being rewritten by certain people to suggest he wasn't so bad after all.

Our start to the season was appalling in all aspects save results, and whilst football is of course a results-based business, there is no chance in hell that we would have continued chugging along at the top of the table playing the way we were at the start of the season. The Boro match (Kean's last match?) was proof that we were awful and on the verge of being found out. Kean just left before the sh1t hit the fan.

Please show where my post says Keane "wasn't so bad" or I am trying to "rewrite history".

Your post is also contradictory in that you admit football is a "results based business" yet our start to the season was "appalling in all aspects save results".

I saw most games at the start of the season and although we did not play well in some of them we played very well in others - did you see any of the games ?

Your statement that "there is no chance in hell that we would have continued chugging along at the top of the table playing the way we were at the start of the season" is pure speculation. For all you know we would could have won automatic promotion under Kean with more than 100 points.

I'll repeat - I loathed him as much as anyone and was glad when he left but if is a uncomfortable fact for Rovers fans that without our good start under him we would be contemplating third division football now.

Archived