BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Thread

jim mk2

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ipswich now on 60 points to confirm their safety and complete a remarkable turnaround under Mick McCarthy. When he took over on November 3rd Ipswich were bottom with 7 points from 13 matches (7 out of 39); if the season had started that day Ipswich would now be in the top 6.

Back in November we were in the top 6 but our stupid owners chose to appoint Berg instead of an experienced man like McCarthy. Some things are so bleeding obvious it makes you weep.

Don't think they'd have christened him Jez, maybe Gerald or Jeremy. Unless he was conceived and delivered in a hippy commune maaan.

I'd have changed my surname first LD.

What a bonkers league, 1 game left and if results go our way we could finish top half, if they go against us, we could stay up on goal difference.

Thats how it's been for some time..... and exactly how it should be! The PL and their paymasters at Sky should take note.

Ipswich now on 60 points to confirm their safety and complete a remarkable turnaround under Mick McCarthy. When he took over on November 3rd Ipswich were bottom with 7 points from 13 matches (7 out of 39); if the season had started that day Ipswich would now be in the top 6.

Back in November we were in the top 6 but our stupid owners chose to appoint Berg instead of an experienced man like McCarthy. Some things are so bleeding obvious it makes you weep.

He's done a good job there Jim, there were down and out when he took over. It'll be interesting to see what happens there next season.

Thank goodness this thread is academic give or take a 14 goal swing in one round of games.

It's not quite a '14 goal swing', Philip. That suggests an unlikely 7-0 and 0-7 scenario.

Because Huddersfield play Barnsley we would HAVE to lose by 15 clear goals, and Barnsley must win 1-0.

Now what are the odds of that happening? And who's perusing oddschecker? ;)

He's a footballing man is McCarthy with as many fails as successes on his cv. A poor mans Sam Allardyce imo.

Just as an aside wouldn't it have been funny to stay up on a difference of just 1 goal? THAT offside extra injury time goal!!!! :lol:

btw Still 34 years since we lost to the Dingles but it's likely they will finish above us now. Anybody know the last time that happened?

Playing around with the BBC predictor I have Wolves dead cert to go down. Then it's between Barnsley, Huddersfield and Sheff Wed for that final spot. My gut feeling is that Barnsley will go down, but as this league is insane it might as well end up with Sheff Wed. In other words - impossible to call! Will be an exciting final round (from an objective POV) that's for sure.

Playing around with the BBC predictor I have Wolves dead cert to go down. Then it's between Barnsley, Huddersfield and Sheff Wed for that final spot. My gut feeling is that Barnsley will go down, but as this league is insane it might as well end up with Sheff Wed. In other words - impossible to call! Will be an exciting final round (from an objective POV) that's for sure.

Peterborough and Wolves for me.

I see Palace home win, and a Hudds and Barnsley draw finding them both safe.

Thought at the time Dean Saunders would be an awful appointment for Wolves - remember a few on here creaming themeselves over his 'tough talking' when he first took over.

I heard an interview with Saunders just after he took over at Wolves. He spoke about his time at Wrexham and how he wanted the training ground pitches cut a certain way. He claimed that the Groundsman told him it couldn't be done and so he he got on the mower and did it himself, leaving visiting parents of potential apprentices gasping in awe at the pristine pitches he produced. He then explained how the Groundsman had taken inspiration and thanked him.

Clearly, he came across as being full of himself and a bit of a cock. He didn't seem to bothered about publicly humiliating a working bloke either.

I've no issues with Wolves but I'm quite pleased that karma bit Mr Saunders on his jacksy.

I heard an interview with Saunders just after he took over at Wolves. He spoke about his time at Wrexham and how he wanted the training ground pitches cut a certain way. He claimed that the Groundsman told him it couldn't be done and so he he got on the mower and did it himself, leaving visiting parents of potential apprentices gasping in awe at the pristine pitches he produced. He then explained how the Groundsman had taken inspiration and thanked him.

Clearly, he came across as being full of himself and a bit of a cock. He didn't seem to bothered about publicly humiliating a working bloke either.

I've no issues with Wolves but I'm quite pleased that karma bit Mr Saunders on his jacksy.

There is a story doing the rounds that Souness convinced Stephen Morgan that Saunders was the right man for Wolves. There is a strong link between Souness and Morgan from their Liverpool connections. Saunders was part of the Souness team at a few clubs along with Boersma and Murray. Once again a jobs for the boys scenario has backfired.

• Backroom

Just as an aside wouldn't it have been funny to stay up on a difference of just 1 goal? THAT offside extra injury time goal!!!! :lol:

btw Still 34 years since we lost to the Dingles but it's likely they will finish above us now. Anybody know the last time that happened?

Not on goal difference but that goal and that single point could be the difference in us going down and staying up

So we've got 2 more chances to Kean up ending the streak? Unfortunately I think next season we will be struggling whilst I can't see you having another season like this one. Think we've only really earned a stay of execution.

Still, I'd rather have at least the chance to end the streak than not.

Archived