BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What will it take for fans to get angry ?

So far it's been relegation and the verge of the 3rd division , yet no anger or protest is forthcoming from fans. Would relegation mean anger ? Admin or do we not care enough for our once proud club . Don't give me get behind the players because yesterday proved we can't even do that.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans have had it knocked out of them Abbey. Everything they've said or done to make their objections heard have been fought tooth and nail by - of all things - the club and management. Only one method of protest remains and thousands have taken it.

So far it's been relegation and the verge of the 3rd division , yet no anger or protest is forthcoming from fans. Would relegation mean anger ? Admin or do we not care enough for our once proud club . Don't give me get behind the players because yesterday proved we can't even do that.

You're old enough to know the meaning of proper protest. Trouble is, modern youth doesn't have the bottle.

You're old enough to know the meaning of proper protest. Trouble is, modern youth doesn't have the bottle.

In defence of 'modern youth', they've a lot to lose. The club will happily prosecute it's own fans, and in many cases a criminal record will mean people losing their jobs.

This just leaves the hooligan element that people don't want to be associated with, and will simply give the fans a bad name. Even the protesters for the Arsenal game (and prior) were seen as chavs and people didn't want to get involved on a large scale basis.

The time for protesting was then. People didn't want to show their displeasure en masse and now we are paying the price. Not that there's any guarantee that it would have made any difference but it's possible that we could have forced Kean out earlier (rather than just a minority) and maybe held onto our PL place.

All ifs, buts and maybes now but we'll never know.

If you think there's something that can still be done now, why don't all the older generation show us how it's done, Jim? Would you be willing to take matters into your own hands?

In defence of 'modern youth', they've a lot to lose. The club will happily prosecute it's own fans, and in many cases a criminal record will mean people losing their jobs.

This just leaves the hooligan element that people don't want to be associated with, and will simply give the fans a bad name. Even the protesters for the Arsenal game (and prior) were seen as chavs and people didn't want to get involved on a large scale basis.

The time for protesting was then. People didn't want to show their displeasure en masse and now we are paying the price. Not that there's any guarantee that it would have made any difference but it's possible that we could have forced Kean out earlier (rather than just a minority) and maybe held onto our PL place.

If you think there's something that can still be done now, why don't all the older generation show us how it's done, Jim? Would you be willing to take matters into your own hands?

Agree.

One football conviction can ruin your career and even stop you from travelling abroad.

why don't all the older generation show us how it's done, Jim? Would you be willing to take matters into your own hands?

Far too old. Did my bit in the 1970s. The club couldn't ban or prosecute thousands of people. You know what's required - over to you.

Far too old. Did my bit in the 1970s. The club couldn't ban or prosecute thousands of people. You know what's required - over to you.

Doesn't need to be thousands. They would only seek out the few who kick it off.

It was a lot easier to get away with stuff in the 70s. Nowadays, they don't have to collar you, they just man the CCTV control room and you get the summons posted to your address.

Even if we did do what you are hinting at, Jim, those no guarantee that it would even work. So it's a massive risk for potentially little gain.

Besides which we are talking about thousands, as you say, and we can't get thousands to do anything.

The fans have had it knocked out of them Abbey. Everything they've said or done to make their objections heard have been fought tooth and nail by - of all things - the club and management. Only one method of protest remains and thousands have taken it.

Summed it up nicely there den.

The writing was on the wall the moment that John Williams left

From day 1, its been false promises clown managers, and fans being blamed for the mess by the club and media.

There is a cultural thing going on whereby the owners dont want to lose face admitting they were wrong.

Like a marriage breakdown there comes a time that you have to walk away

Doesn't need to be thousands. They would only seek out the few who kick it off.

It was a lot easier to get away with stuff in the 70s. Nowadays, they don't have to collar you, they just man the CCTV control room and you get the summons posted to your address.

Even if we did do what you are hinting at, Jim, those no guarantee that it would even work. So it's a massive risk for potentially little gain.

Besides which we are talking about thousands, as you say, and we can't get thousands to do anything.

How about blue and white balaclavas for everyone.

People are angry Abbey. Its just difficult to direct this anger at the people who deserve it most because they don't turn up at many matches and when they do they shoot off at half time. Shebby has had a lot of anger directed at him but he is totally out of his depth and as a result appears to base his advise to his employers on what other people tell him. This leaves the some fans abusing there favourite hate figure on the pitch, be it Orr, Pedersen or CKR. On a few occasions this season this has just led to arguments between fans. Likewise at half time against Burnley I have never witnessed as many tetchy people on the concourse. Other people I know are angry but have just stopped going. It will boil over at some point but this will probably be a minority engaging in confrontation with the stewards and the police/.

I think and have done for sometime , beating Arsenal at home last season was the worst result of the season ....

Defeat that day with the crowd turning on Kean and i think he was gone ...

But a collapse like Arsenal are capable of enabled Kean to put 2fingers up at crowd ..It was a fluke but it did us no favours ....

Also xmas results when the noose was tightening at Anfield and O T, guarenteed the odious sod a job for the season ...

But , you are right the more people involved the more the voice is heard ...

People are angry Abbey. Its just difficult to direct this anger at the people who deserve it most because they don't turn up at many matches and when they do they shoot off at half time. Shebby has had a lot of anger directed at him but he is totally out of his depth and as a result appears to base his advise to his employers on what other people tell him. This leaves the some fans abusing there favourite hate figure on the pitch, be it Orr, Pedersen or CKR. On a few occasions this season this has just led to arguments between fans. Likewise at half time against Burnley I have never witnessed as many tetchy people on the concourse. Other people I know are angry but have just stopped going. It will boil over at some point but this will probably be a minority engaging in confrontation with the stewards and the police/.

thing is when they do turn up noone bothers to be outside. The time before last there were about 15-20 people then the other week 5 !

I think and have done for sometime , beating Arsenal at home last season was the worst result of the season ....

Defeat that day with the crowd turning on Kean and i think he was gone ...

But a collapse like Arsenal are capable of enabled Kean to put 2fingers up at crowd ..It was a fluke but it did us no favours ....

Also xmas results when the noose was tightening at Anfield and O T, guarenteed the odious sod a job for the season ...

But , you are right the more people involved the more the voice is heard ...

Ironically, Waggy, if we'd have lost to Arsenal, people would have blamed the protesters.

It's been lose-lose every step of the way. Because they don't care about the club and we do.

I like how the old people tell everyone that they know how to do it, did it in 1917 or something, yet fail to actually explain what they did and why it's so much better than what can be done today.

As has been pointed out, taking action 60-odd years ago, with tiny crowds, no CCTV and in the bottom divisions is a little bit different to doing it nowadays.

Edit - ok, maybe not so much the crowd size and divisions, but my point stands.

I got very angry when Desai said in January 2011 that Steve Kean was unsackable, I have'nt been to a game since, and I will not return

until Venkys either leave, or start to do the right thing and sack Singh, Shaw and Agnew and bring in a fit and proper CEO, who in turn

can appoint an experienced manager.

I was hoping we would be safe from relegation by now and people would be up for a large scale boycott of the games that don't matter

towards the end of the season.

I agree with what most are saying, basically, Who do you aim protests at?(the owners are hundreds/thousands of miles away) What specifically would the protests be against? Last time it was simple-kean out, and the owners didn't even listen to that, in fact it just strengthened his position and I think you/we can shout venkys out all day long, but due to there stubborn and vindictive nature I think they'd sooner run the club right into the ground and put the club into liquidation before selling to anybody.

Once again we are turning in on ourselves. Richer people not coming, Blackburn End not singing but Darwen End does,who'll invade the pitch and who hasn't got the bottle, who's right--those who stay away or those who cheer on the lads, and on and on it goes.

We all deal with grief in our own way and whatever else occcurs we should remember that NO FANS ARE TO BLAME!

I personally have argued for all to stay away but I fully understand those who won't.The only bit I don't get is anyone who believes that Venkys will "come to their senses and turn this around".

I agree with what most are saying, basically, Who do you aim protests at?(the owners are hundreds/thousands of miles away) What specifically would the protests be against? Last time it was simple-kean out, and the owners didn't even listen to that, in fact it just strengthened his position and I think you/we can shout venkys out all day long, but due to there stubborn and vindictive nature I think they'd sooner run the club right into the ground and put the club into liquidation before selling to anybody.

Tend to agree with you

The owners are from a culture where "the underclass" do as they are told - I think they have dug their heels in and are "showing us" who is in charge!

Suicidal it may be - heartbreaking for us fans - but their "pride" will not allow a backing down of any kind and as you say - the end game could be very painful for us!

I think most fans are now resigned to the fact we are another Portsmouth the stuffing has been knocked out of people ( the protests where damned if you do damned if you don't - fans falling out with each other )...just look around the ground it's dying on its feet thanks to Venkys , look at the players Dunny apart do any of them give a flying F ?....

if relegation would rid us of Venkys 99.9% of us would take it.....then we can start the long road back

I think that next season, relegation or not, will see a marked decline of attendances over and above the current gates. Maybe there are quite a few like me, who after boycotting the early part of the season because of the continued presence of Kean, once he was history I bought tickets on a match to match basis until the New Year, when I got a half season ticket.

This was regardless of the fact that the loons were still in charge, it was fairly obvious to me that they were not going anywhere soon. It was down to the fact that I wanted to clutch at straws. Maybe it was to be a fresh start. I have supported Rovers for many years and simply wanted to have them back. I just thought at the time that I would be able to care again.

Now, looking back, I was obviously deluded on all those points. I continue to go because I have the season ticket, not looking forward to games for days beforehand like I used to, now it's more like a visit to the dentist. Even on the BBE I get the impression that there are many in the same boat. Everyone has just given up hope. No one in the club cares. No one within the football authorities care. The national press don't care.

I think now why the hell should I care then? The answer to that is the same as all of us. Of course we care, we love our club, but I suspect that next season there will be many, many more who will not be showing that concern in person. The ground will be far less than half full next season.

Until the whole bunch of Venkys, Shaw, Agnew and Singh have gone, then I cannot see a glimmer of hope.

Fans should all stay away at home games, but naturally there are people who are inclined to attend because they simply enjoy football(not sure what they are enjoying)... It will come down to people not attending, thousands and thousands have done it already, now for the last remaining few to do their bit. Pick a televised game, and just stay away. A stadium with just a few away fans would be embarrasing, but people will sit up and take notice. Its the only way, or like i said before, after 10 mins, everybody walks out and protests outside. Its no more about the team, people have got behind them, but the performances have been terrible, so it makes no difference anymore.

Archived