BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

Where have the Xabi Alonso rumours come from?

31, at Real Madrid, I wouldn't have thought there was a cat in hell's chance he would be prepared to leave there to play in the Championship. If he's not getting a game at Madrid, for a top half Premiership outfit maybe. Plus the wages would be astronomical.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Where have the Xabi Alonso rumours come from?

31, at Real Madrid, I wouldn't have thought there was a cat in hell's chance he would be prepared to leave there to play in the Championship. If he's not getting a game at Madrid, for a top half Premiership outfit maybe. Plus the wages would be astronomical.

I think it's a joke, based on a past rumour!!

Lowe is not a creator, he is box to box, hard working, breaker up of play. The average fan doesn't have the eye to notice this - they rate every single player in the assist and goals category, and I'm afraid your falling into that box Revidge.

I bet your a wheeze on a night out. I find it hard to believe you would rate King as useless. We may not have top international players in our midst anymore, but that doesn't make players useless. As for Rochina, (I like the guy but..) I find it funny how you can give him credit when you take into account his willingness to leave in a January and the extra 5 touches he needs every time he gets the ball. You can guarantee you will get more from King and Best on a mid winter trip to Huish park.

And certainly your knowledge and understanding of a player must rank above Mark Hughes, (who gave Lowe his debut) Big Sam, Ste "oooh Jason" Kean (I'd probably give you that one) and many others including England youth selectors. He's not the finished article, but I'd sooner have Jason in the centre than Dickson "30k a week" Etuhu. We are no longer in a position to attract the likes of Tugay, Jermaine Jones etc - we've sold Nzonzi and we certainly wont be getting any freebie international captains like Mokeona and Nelsen this summer.

Adjust your opinion accordingly. Jason would be an asset to every team in the division, and he is also from the North West so we should be championing a "local" lad. He has improving to do, but that wont happen sat on the bench watching.

Again - his passing can go awry but his general defensive midfield work is up to the standard of this league. We both know he needs someone next to him who can dictate tempo of play - so don't hold that aspect against Jason. He is certainly no Tugay, but who is?

I certainly think he adds to the squad - depth if anything. To simply write of a player like that is moronic.

100% agree with everything you wrote.

Lowe might not be the best going forward and I know he isn't even the best tackler; but he's got heart.

He breaks down play, gives the defenders options when the ball is being played out from the back, is mainly always there to mop up after Rochina/King after they go on runs to nowhere.

I hear people complaining that he can only pass sideways and back. That's his game, he gets the ball and tries to give it to someone who can do something with it.

It's like when an opposing winger is running at our full back and people around me are screaming at him to "put a foot in".

Yeh put a foot in so he can nip past, instead of jockeying him to slow him down and keeping him either on his right or left to slow his momentum so it's easier to actually win the ball that way. It won't work all the time but you've a better chance that way.

The people screaming; in my opinion appear to have never played at a semi decent level or understood how defending actually works.

Wouldn't mind being linked with a left back.

What are Judge and Taylor's best positions? I thought Judge was a central player but he's not really been mentioned. Taylor I thought plays on the right but can play inside.

Where have these 2 been playing pre season?

Best suffered a serious injury only a year ago and might still need some time to find his form. A serious injury like that can take up to a year to heal physically and another year for the player to heal mentally and trust his body to play the way it used to.

He's had his entire career to find his form and not done so. Find it difficult to buy into him doing so at all.

Lowe is not a creator, he is box to box, hard working, breaker up of play. The average fan doesn't have the eye to notice this - they rate every single player in the assist and goals category, and I'm afraid your falling into that box Revidge.

Putting your scathing condescension of your fellow fans to one side ;). Lowe is not a box to box player or a breaker up of play. Hell he can't even tackle and makes Keith Andrews look like a stellar superstar. Lowe is just bang rank below average for this level. It's nothing about fancy dan assists and all that @#/? it's about doing the basics right and Lowe fails on all counts. Mark Atkins was exactly as you described above. A player who made himself more than just the sum of his talent. He was box to box and chipped in with a decent amount of goals too. In many games he was the only one who was as fresh after 85minutes as he was after the first. He also broke up play and gave the ball to those who could do more with it. He had his knockers and his critics but in the end he has a League Winners Medal he can stick it to them with.

The fact the Bowyer seems to rate Lowe doesn't bode well for the future or inspire confidence in the qulaity of the other 'former cast offs' he's brought back if his judgement on Lowe is so off. And the England U21's is a graveyard of the average and over-rated. Any young player who is good bypasses that irrelevant system for the 1st team.

I just see it as the easily pleased fans giving him more leeway just because he's 'home grown'.

Many will disagree on my assessment of Lowe and many will disagree on my assessment of Atkins. That's what this forum is all about. Lowe reminds me of the kind of poor midfielder we had in the darker years of the 80's....a slightly taller Ronnie Hildersley

He's had his entire career to find his form and not done so. Find it difficult to buy into him doing so at all.

The vocal majority on here thought it was an astute signing by Kean at the time. Then some got on his back only a few minutes into his comeback. I don't think it's looking to promising either, he looks unfit and heavy, but I'm willing to give him more time before jumping on his back. Having played football for a number of years myself, albeit at a lower level, I've seen how serious injuries can do to players.

Wilson Palacios would possibly be a great loan signing for us. He was great at Wigan, but has lost his way somewhat since he went to the spuds. BUT!

1. Would he drop a league?

2. Would Stoke loan him out?

3. Can we afford his wages, even if they are offset?

But if a manager could get him firing he would be awesome in this league.

The vocal majority on here thought it was an astute signing by Kean at the time. Then some got on his back only a few minutes into his comeback. I don't think it's looking to promising either, he looks unfit and heavy, but I'm willing to give him more time before jumping on his back. Having played football for a number of years myself, albeit at a lower level, I've seen how serious injuries can do to players.

I can totally get on board with what you're saying about injuries, 100%.

I genuinely thought at the time that £3m was a daft fee for a striker that has never really scored goals.

Lowe might not be the best going forward and I know he isn't even the best tackler; but he's got heart.

super the problem with this statement he might have heart & try his best that is not going to get you anyway near promotion & in his position when you have Williamson (when fit),Marrow & Judge ahead of him in the pecking order who are better at breaking up play & pass a lot better sentiment is all well and good but that does not make you a footballer sadly.

Dear god people, face it. We can debate all we want about Jason Lowe but he's still going to be here and Bowyer is still going to use him.

The reason being that he isn't all that bad, grafts his arse off and is thoroughly appreciated by GB

If GB wants to come out with statements like that about Lowe then I think it's going to be a very long long season .. Shicking player ....

As for him calling players by there nick names shows you his mindset not very manager like IMHO .....

super the problem with this statement he might have heart & try his best that is not going to get you anyway near promotion & in his position when you have Williamson (when fit),Marrow & Judge ahead of him in the pecking order who are better at breaking up play & pass a lot better sentiment is all well and good but that does not make you a footballer sadly.

He's no Xabi Alonso, i grant you that, but Lowe is a good player to have in the squad.

If GB wants to come out with statements like that about Lowe then I think it's going to be a very long long season .. Shicking player ....

As for him calling players by there nick names shows you his mindset not very manager like IMHO .....

Said it before and say it again ..lessons learnt by venkys on managers = 0 a big fat zero.

As usual the comment bowyer made in regard to lowe in the lt has been blown out of proportion, if you actually read the remarks in the context of the article, they actually seem a little condescending towards lowe., he doesnt say he is "magnificent" he says hes 'been magnificent for us with his energy'(the managers hardly going to say 'hes crap but he works hard'.

If you keep saying Rochina has gone when he hasn't, and claiming Bulgarian players who appear to be playing on park pitches are the answer, then i think close-season might be quite long too.tongue.png

Archived