BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clearout begins at Rovers

I think you're right, Bob.

In the interests of "fair play" (i.e. complying with FFP), we are going to have to spunk a load of money at kean-poor players to buy out their contracts because we won't be allowed to pay them from next season.

The question in my mind is, where is this money coming from? Venkys cash or mortgaged parachute payments? In either case, it leaves a lot of questions.

Ah!! The crux of the matter. The nitty gritty. The proof point.

Well by 3rd Sept we'll know to my mind. If Rhodes is still here then great. If they've paid off a load of the dead wood then great. Ok, not great. But at least it will tell us something.

GB needs a win, we need a win, we all want a win! His hands must be tied, yet he's been allowed to bring in 11, cheapish, players apparently (go on, name them, no cheating!). Why bother Venkys? Just sell the assets and be done with it. See, it's not that clear cut is it?

Maybe we are just saddled with idiots as owners who are loaded. They couldn't see through JA and Kean, lets not think for a minute they can work out how to get round FFP.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it you rated MGP and 5 managers didn't pick him much either last season and now he's also been allowed to leave. You may feel he hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip this season. I'd disagree as you probably would with me about the 2 Portugese players. Can't see it proves anything.

I've disagreed with many a poster who's been more than happy to criticise Pedersen's "useless" dead ball techniques, coupled with their criticism of him hitting the first man and his low work rate. Pedersen is without doubt, in my opinion, the best striker of a dead ball, the best crosser of the ball, the best header of a ball at the club. Oh, and his lack of pace always meant to some that he looked lazy, when the stats over the years have consistently shown he covers more ground than virtually anyone else at the club.

Now none of that means he should have been a regular starter, because his overall performances have been inconsistent at best - and I've never said otherwise. I do believe though, that if he were to be used properly, he still has something to contribute. I certainly don't believe that he's deserving of the criticism he's got on here. Oh - and he's probably still ten times the player that Rosado is - the player you rate.

Me and you will just have to accept that on football we agree on virtually nothing. You're still a good mush though. Irritating at times, but a good mush!

It does seem strange that the likes of Benfica can see something in him and we couldn't. I'd have thought that given Rochina's injury, it might have given the lad a chance to stake a claim. Let him do his flash stuff behind Rhodes and not worry about silly back passes and boring things like tackling. Still, not to be. Can't say i'll lose too much sleep over it.

Better suited to his native league?

Without an insight into the training ground, we can only speculate. For whatever technical ability these Portuguese imports have, they could be lacking mentally and physically for English football. That would be one of the more logical explanations.

11, cheapish, players apparently (go on, name them, no cheating!). Why bother Venkys? Just sell the assets and be done with it. See, it's not that clear cut is it?

Citizen Kane

Dennis Taylor

Clint Eastwood

Jim Cairney

Corry Feldman

Bone Marrow Transplant

Judge Judy

Tommy Gun

DJ Culture (one for the dads)

Kilgallon Hat

Did we actually buy that Sambo'o bloke?

Citizen Kane

Dennis Taylor

Clint Eastwood

Jim Cairney

Corry Feldman

Bone Marrow Transplant

Judge Judy

Tommy Gun

DJ Culture (one for the dads)

Kilgallon Hat

Did we actually buy that Sambo'o bloke?

Yes, yes we did.

Tommy Gun was a Clash song so he's ok. Judy is a dwarf, Jackie is a punk, and oh I don't know why, oh I don't know why.

Fair play Stu, you nailed em, all 11 double sharp.

Easy on MGP's heading ability Den - I still wake up in a cold sweat over the Chelsea FA Cup Semi miss every now and again!

I'm guessing Gamst does as well. It does appear to be the defining moment where his performances went downhill from :(

Lol, forgot about that one. What a chance in a lifetime that was, Chelsea were there for the taking at that point. Only about ten minutes to go wasn't there?

On Ricky's point, Pedersen's career started to go downhill shortly after Venky's arrival. Like Every other player at the club at that time, he wasn't wanted because of one thing - money. £5m and a few loaners wasn't it? They couldn't have been any clearer of their intentions.

I'm guessing Gamst does as well. It does appear to be the defining moment where his performances went downhill from :(

I'd agree with that. I was right behind the goals for that header. I still don't know how he missed. The people who bang on about what a good header of a ball he is obviously had their eyes closed that day.

You're right I don't rate the guy as a player. To be honest, as an all round footballer, I never have. He has two great feet and was a tremendous striker of the ball but that's it for me, and now he never gets in position for those thunderbolts anymore. People also say he can head the ball. What he has got is a 6 ft physique and a good leap, unfortunately he very rarely directs the ball accurately. I can only remember him scoring with one header all the time he's been at Rovers. That's how good a header of the ball he is. MGP and Brett made a great pair, both were 6 footers and couldn't head the ball to any real degree.

Depends on remaining length of contract.

All and sundry seem to get 3 or 4 years these days eg Etuhu, Judge, Marrow etc.

Utter madness I think.

The best person to sort this club out and most of the other 92 would be the current Chairman of Blackpool. I've got to say that I admire his style. Karl Oyston could run an entire club off the wages that we paid last season to just 4 of our veteran midfielders Etuhu, Murphy, Dunne and MGP .

Saw some stuff about applause for MGP in the 12th minute.

These two tweets best sum it all up for me:

Tom Marsland @TomMarsland 2h

Big fan of Pedersen and be deserves respect but he hasn't died so not keen on this applause at 12th minute thing

Ian Duckworth @exiledlanc 38m

May I suggest a minute's wailing & gnashing of teeth in injury time to honour Morten's missed sitter in ET v Chelsea in FA Cup semi ;-)

Don't pretend to know anything about any alleged politics behind the scenes but I think this is a very good post. I can't understand how players who fairly obviously have no ability like Lowe and Marcus are picked time and time again yet other players with technical ability like Nunes and Rosado who'd probably need game time to adjust to the pace of the English Leagues can't even get a look in.

By that yardstick Simon if you had managed the England team in 66 we'd never have got past the group stages and the players would have watched the final on the telly. Like the massed ranks of press vipers who roundly criticised Alf Ramsay's methods and coined the derogatory term 'wingless wonders' you'd never have allowed the likes of Big Jack, Nobby Stiles, Alan Ball and Martin Peters to get anywhere near the team.

You're right I don't rate the guy as a player. To be honest, as an all round footballer, I never have. He has two great feet and was a tremendous striker of the ball but that's it for me, and now he never gets in position for those thunderbolts anymore. People also say he can head the ball. What he has got is a 6 ft physique and a good leap, unfortunately he very rarely directs the ball accurately. I can only remember him scoring with one header all the time he's been at Rovers. That's how good a header of the ball he is. MGP and Brett made a great pair, both were 6 footers and couldn't head the ball to any real degree.

Peds is 6 ft?

Anyway, height and scoring goals (especially for wingers) has nothing to do with heading ability, it's all about the timing. He times his jump well and more often than not meets it with his forehead. While heading ability is only incidental for a winger, it does help to turn the back four and make 'em run towards their own goal. That's something Rhodes lacks in his play and is one of the reasons why we can't turn the opposition.

Like I said, Peds heading ability has little to do with whether he should be playing or not, it was just an aside really. To be fair though Tyrone, he was more than two feet and a good striker of the ball. He has, like it or not, contributed greatly to our attacking play over the years.

Peds is about 5'10 and thin as a latt. Ive stood next to him on a couple of occasions. Sound guy though. Bert was same as me about 6'1" and similar build, way more physical than Peds. Not that it matters because they both wern't good headers but Bert was quite aggressive in his play at times.

Guest Norbert

The emphasis now has to be trimming our squad. We can't carry on with 200 players, most of whom are not standing out in terms of talent. I don't think there are many brilliant players we can bring in right now anyway.

Peds is about 5'10 and thin as a latt. Ive stood next to him on a couple of occasions. Sound guy though. Bert was same as me about 6'1" and similar build, way more physical than Peds. Not that it matters because they both wern't good headers but Bert was quite aggressive in his play at times.

Peds not a good header and Bert was aggressive?

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like you rate Bert above Peds. Pedersen created more in a month than Bert did in his career. And I liked Bert.

Archived