BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v some other team: 14th September 2013

• Backroom

I'm much more confident this season than I was last season, if ever a side was their for the taking it was us, but the blew it.

As Topman says the pressures on them, not us.

I'm not sure I personally think the pressure is on us more still, we have it all to lose

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just lifted this from a MB I go on:

Craig Pawson. The idiot who changed his mind about two minutes after we scored and Millwall last season and disallowed it.

Often thought that the people in charge of referees court controversy.
You'd hope one of the incompetent muppets gets one wrong in our favour this time.

One set of fans or the other could well be fuming come the final whistle if his past performance is any indication - also missed a couple of clear penalties according to some. Surely not another game ending in a refereeing controversy? Wouldn't be a Lancs derby without one.

Powson is definitely one who caves into pressure. It wasn't so much that he gets decisions wrong more than any other ref, but if you harass him and particularly his linesman, he'll crack eventually.

That goal against Millwall at home was given, the players lined up for the restart and then Shittu - using his ample frame - went over and intimidated the poor linesman. He visibly panicked, called over the ref and the goal was chalked off and we went back for a free kick from 5 minutes earlier.

Away at Brighton once he sent off two of their players against us, weirdly after McCann had nailed one in a 50/50 challenge.

Not a 'homer' then, but very erratic. Should all add to the fun.

Comments from Burnley fans -

"One of my biggest concerns is the referee on Saturday, if he is card happy then our central midfield pairing may be walking a tightrope early on, Marney is notorious for getting silly bookings and then disappearing from games and as for Jones, well at this rate he will be pushing the former Blackpool centre half Gary Briggs for cautions."

"...do like the look of Blackburn this season - King gives them a cracking outlet on the left and how Trippier deals with him when he stays wide, and perhaps more concerningly how Duff (or Long) copes with his pace if he comes inside (and I'd be amazed if they didn't try and get Duff isolated with King quite a bit) may be a really significant battle. Equally, assuming Dunn starts, his intelligence could give him a lot of joy given that (certainly against Bolton) there was a lot of space behind our midfield for someone like Dunn to exploit. We've got good players ourselves, but I do fear that (not just for this game) Bowyer has constructed quite a nicely balanced team for this season."

"not sure we will have the guile to take the game to them, and Dunn playing in a role between our midfield and defense concerns me as it ties up Jones, leaving us weak in front of him... ergo lacking the guile"

"We look a lot better away from home, and haven't looked great in our two home games so far, so if Rovers put five men in midfield, I'd be expecting us to struggle to break that down. I think the first goal could be absolutely crucial"

As ever I expect Burnley will be really up for this game, especially at home. Dyche is a good manager for them and they have got off to a great start this season against the odds really.

A draw is probably the most likely outcome as I think if Rovers can contain Ings then we will be ok. Hoping the international break doesn't effect our players as we'll have had a few of them playing midweek.

Despite all the hassles, the coaches, the poor conditions, the game being on telly. This is Burnley FFS, our local rivals. No one has an excuse unless your living on the moon. Everyone should be going and tickets should be like rocking horse poo.

Frankly I am disgraced by some fans on here. Weak excuses.

I'll be there, as I always have been.

Looking to the game we are still vulnerable defensively - even letting in 2 to ten-man Barnsley - so I think it's inevitable we will concede a goal or two. Question is whether we can score at the other end. I'm hoping for a 1-1 at best but fear we could go down 2-1.

• Backroom

Despite all the hassles, the coaches, the poor conditions, the game being on telly. This is Burnley FFS, out local rivals. No one has an excuse unless your living on the moon. Everyone should be going and tickets should be like rocking horse poo.

Admirable. But would rather spend 1/5th of a ST price on enjoying the day with pals than on being in a cattle shed, intimidated by rent-a-cops for no reason.

Admirable. But would rather spend 1/5th of a ST price on enjoying the day with pals than on being in a cattle shed, intimidated by rent-a-cops for no reason.

No offence Mike, but it's still a weak response. The ST's are cheap, we are lucky. Football ticket prices are around the price we are paying for the game and have been for a number of years now. Me and my pals look out for the match the minute the fixtures are released, nothing gets in it's way, be It cost, policing, crap ground, coaches etc. Going to the Turd is very much like going to games in the 80's in that the end has crap facilities, it shouldn't put you off going. Watching it on telly is a cop-out.

• Backroom

No offence Mike, but it's still a weak response. The ST's are cheap, we are lucky. Football ticket prices are around the price we are paying for the game and have been for a number of years now. Me and my pals look out for the match the minute the fixtures are released, nothing gets in it's way, be It cost, policing, crap ground, coaches etc. Going to the Turd is very much like going to games in the 80's in that the end has crap facilities, it shouldn't put you off going. Watching it on telly is a cop-out.

You're also assuming I'd buy a ST if it was more like £400. Having cheap STs doesn't 'free up' money for me.

Even if the game wasn't on TV I wouldn't go. I refuse to put myself through the same thing I did last year, where I get a bollocking due to OTHER fans chanting about Jimmy Savile and suchlike.

Without doubt it's a great fixture but I've already paid for one where I can get to the game at my own leisure later in thr season.

Shops inside the stadium ? That's good one lol all they have there is basically a hole in the wall and all concourse outlets at English grounds usually close after half time. The reason it takes so long to get there is the logistics of only taking in and dropping off a group of coaches at a time so it takes a while with 2 or 3 thousand people to ferry in. Also add to this the police make the coaches detour around the outskirts rather than the direct route to and from Turf Moor.

Are they treated better when they come to Ewood (be honest)? Could this be 'pay-back' from them?

So if I'm reading it correctly, all the hastles with the travel and the main reason for the delay afterwards is down to the OTT policing?

Would it help if Ewood had a word with somebody at Turf Moor and asked them to re-open the food/drink outlet after the game?

Despite all the hassles, the coaches, the poor conditions, the game being on telly. This is Burnley FFS, our local rivals. No one has an excuse unless your living on the moon. Everyone should be going and tickets should be like rocking horse poo.

You're absolutely bang on the money Will, I'm really struggling with not going, as you say its burnley FFS!

But just for now I'm sticking to not going, being treated like a criminal and given the run around by GMP isn't my idea of fun, been there done that, won't be doing it again.....

Yes, its a pain in the ass with the oppressive and excessive policing arrangements... BUT THIS IS BURNLEY AWAY!!

As has been said, this should be a must for all Rovers supporters. That we can't find 3,000 to go up the road is down right pathetic.

Frankly, I think a section of 'fans' look for excuses not to attend/support the team on a regular basis these days. I suppose it gives them something to moan about down the pub or on these message boards...

• Backroom

Yes, its a pain in the ass with the oppressive and excessive policing arrangements... BUT THIS IS BURNLEY AWAY!!

As has been said, this should be a must for all Rovers supporters. That we can't find 3,000 to go up the road is down right pathetic.

Frankly, I think a section of 'fans' look for excuses not to attend/support the team on a regular basis these days. I suppose it gives them something to moan about down the pub or on these message boards...

We could easily find 5,000 to go. Many are unfortunately put off by their experiences last season. Why is that so hard to understand?

My thoughts exactly, I personally cannot wait till Saturday

Despite all the excuses it's perfectly obvious that the fact it's on TV is swaying peoples decision (although they won't admit it)

Despite all the excuses it's perfectly obvious that the fact it's on TV is swaying peoples decision (although they won't admit it)

Its been on TV plenty of times and tickets have flown through the door, so thats just bunkum.

We could easily find 5,000 to go. Many are unfortunately put off by their experiences last season. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because I think people are actively exaggerating their experiences. I had a broken foot and was on crutches last season... still, it wasn't that bad.

At the end of the day it is what it is. Its a local derby between two gritty northern sides, its going to be a bit grim, it is in Burnley for Christ sake. OK transportation is prolonged but you that's about it.

Some people look for a reason to complain and find a reason to 'rise above it' by not attending.

Bluntly, I think some people would prefer to watch the game on an entertainment screen that live it, there's nothing wrong with that but I just think its a sad state of affairs when this is the case against our local rivals, potentially our biggest game of the season.

Its a matter of principles. Some sections of society have always been more maliable. A line has to be drawn somewhere. It's only a game of pigsack kicking after all.

Your post makes you sound like a patronising snob if I'm honest. Sorry but that's how I read it.

yawn

Archived