BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v some other team: 14th September 2013

By eck, I went tut fortress Ewood on Saturday, and god bless the gods, the sun shone, a King was born, Dunny put 3 opponents on their arse, and JR kissed his shirt......it wur like we wur a million miles away from Pune and their collective ignorance.

Onward and upward GB......from little shoots, great oak trees grow, or some such nonsense.

Back to topic.....an International break awaits, but as it's a game against the team from a small village in Royston Vasey next, I thought a two week build up would be appropriate. The Dingles too had a good result on Saturday. They stand above us in the table...normality needs to be resumed?

As our beloved message board tells us, it's over 34 years since we tasted defeat. I was 15, and it had a profound effect - I have never worn anything claret since, indeed I drink white wine in protest. Up until Sat, I think we were collectively worried about our appearance at the Dingle Dome, but perhaps the pace of JK, the fighting spirit of TC, the clinical finishing of JR, and one DD's passion for upsetting the apple cart, we can go there with some hope.

It's on the pay through your nose channel. I pay through my bank account, but it amounts to the same....they've put it up again. I continue to fork out as it keeps the kids quiet....they like Babe Station.

The wine I tell you!

Right, we are on the Telly box because our beautiful game really got going 125 years ago apparently. I am reliably informed by those in the know (titk) that there are actually 4 current members on this board who actually attended the first game between these two founder members of the league!

3rd November 1888: a basic stadium in the small town somewhere in Yorkshire, comprising two park benches, a hastily built single urinal, two deck chairs and a lilo held the inaugural league meeting.

Our official history states there were 3,000 there. The other teams unofficial history states there were 33,000 there....6 from Blackburn. I don't know what to believe (well yes I do, but you have to have some drama), but what cannot be disputed is the score.

Beresford, Forest, Fecitt 2, and a Jack Southworth hat trick saw the mighty blues running out 7-1 winners. Apparently 32,994 Dingles trashed the lilo, burnt the benches and torched Greggs!

The return game at our then home on Leamington Road was watched by 2,000, 20,000 of them from over the border. We ran out winners , 4-2, goals by Jack S x2, Townley & Walton.

The Blackburn Lancashire Evening Telegraph ran a small article, but the pigeon fanciers oop north sent their birds in to their office in droves to put forward their views!

To quote: (I bear on responsibility to anyone either alive/dead/inebriated or generally drugged up) -

A certan Robert Fleming: it wur reet gradeley today, a reet endorsement of us attacking policy!

Parson B, writing his first ever match report for BRFC: fantastic, top four finish in sight, great game, that Southworth will go far! (He passed away sometime later in his life in Lower Darwen)

Stuart: I loved it, it wur great, I want to live the dream!

Mr Mercer: bugger, I had threpence on 5-2! Cost me dearly!

That season reflected our initial superiority over our lovely neighbours - the final table did not lie,

Rovers: fourth (just as PB predicted!), P22, W10, D6, L6, F66, A45, Pts26

Other team: fourth bottom, above Derby C, Notts C & Stoke, but two places below mighty Accy.

So the point of all this nostalgia......history shows/proves that we started off the superior team, and history as we are taught in school, always repeats itself!

Now I'm not one to get all misty eyed about this fixture. After all, as a 49 year old father of two, with no previous convictions, a (almost) clean driving licence, and the ability not to punch anyone wearing claret & blue, I would like to tootle over the hill they call Pendle, drop down into the village that time forgot (Sabden), bob through the posh part of Dingledonia (Simonstone) and park up in a wasteland close to the dome without hinderence. But the good times have gone, and in our current police state, overtime is king. As such I will watch the match in the comfort of my own straight jacket, strong cider in hand and hope the boys perform like they did on Saturday.

All we want is our club back. The dark lords probably don't even know who our next opponents are, let alone the magnificent history that provides the background to (one of) the oldest league fixtures in the world.

I wish GB and the players all the best. I want a win, will take a draw, but will never accept Venkys.

Some will ask why wasn't my review as good as the Bolton one! Can't beat perfection, but just some thoughts, some facts and a bit of fiction!

Here's to the next 125 years of BRFC, Venkys free, and blue and white forever. Perhaps, just maybe, if Jack looks down and smiles, PB will write his final review when we win 7-1 in 3028 in the 250th year!

I have a dream.....enjoy!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! Very good!

"You can't polish a turd" as a certain Stanley Ternant once said. Or was it a Ferrari?

We'll win. Rhodes, King and Dunny for us. Ings and George Oghani's ironing board for them. Hull reject Payton will hit the cross bar in the 93rd minute which will lead to much hiding in wardrobes, rioting in various pet shops and incest.

Ha! Very good!

"You can't polish a turd" as a certain Stanley Ternant once said. Or was it a Ferrari?

We'll win. Rhodes, King and Dunny for us. Ings and George Oghani's ironing board for them. Hull reject Payton will hit the cross bar in the 93rd minute which will lead to much hiding in wardrobes, rioting in various pet shops and incest.

And selling of club merchandise on Burnley market !!

• Backroom

Nice preview

Personally wish this game wasn't happening, we've just has two great games and the chance of a nice little run and then the next game puts a load of pressure on the backs of our young team and we could end up worse off then before the last two mentally

In a way the longer our run goes the more stressful it becomes when we play them as the backlash when they do eventually scab a win over us is going to be intolerable, lets hope its a long time away yet!

They will be well up for it knowing they will go top if they beat us and they have a team full of confidence at the minute, tricky game I'm its own right and one I wouldn't like to call

It all depends which side turns up, if the side that got hammered at Donny rolls up we'll lose, if the sides that played against Barnsley and Bolton turn up then we've every chance of a win.

Sadly I'll not be in attendance, for reasons already mentioned on the dingles thread :(

Deffo attending the middin of bumley, no matter what our predicament, I couldn't ever miss one of these games.

I am pretty certain its going to be close once again. Maybe finishing up like last season where both of us teams managed to salvage a point out of nothing scoring at the death in each game.

I like the look of how bumley are shaping up. They do however leave themselves wide open a little like Rovers do.

It will be a case of which defence makes the least mistakes.

A conservative 1-1 draw again.

Cracking preview.

Shame it's the first rovers burnley game I am missing in my lifetime.

Last years experience was enough. 3-4 hours sat on a double decker throughout the day, stuck in that horrible crammed concourse for an hour and a half pre match, not been able to get anywhere near the one shack resembling a bar. No thanks. Pub it is.

It's not half as bad for that lot when they come to ewood. At least our concourses have a bit of room and a few bars!

Cracking preview.

Shame it's the first rovers burnley game I am missing in my lifetime.

Last years experience was enough. 3-4 hours sat on a double decker throughout the day, stuck in that horrible crammed concourse for an hour and a half pre match, not been able to get anywhere near the one shack resembling a bar. No thanks. Pub it is.

It's not half as bad for that lot when they come to ewood. At least our concourses have a bit of room and a few bars!

So that would be a total of four, you young whipper snapper! Appreciate the kind words though.

Would you take that now Sam?

I think I would

on the back of a couple of good results the majority of dingles will be creaming themselves and thinking they will win,

the reality will be that the Ferrari turns up and the town centre gets destroyed, again

Archived