BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v some other team: 14th September 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well here's my forecast. Two very much improved teams going head to head in a fiercely-fought derby match should be a good game for both sets of fans as well as the neutrals watching on TV.

But along comes the ref (whose middle name is Dingle) who will send off one of our centre backs within the first 15 minutes and completely spoil the match as a spectacle.

Hence Rovers lose. Score??.........2-1 to Burnley.

The thing we should all realise with Dunny, no way will he be out for a month.

I'd be suprised if we see him play again before Christmas.

Don't get me wrong i love the guy, but this was always going to happen.

The longer term issue could be that Dunn will lose a lot of the fitness he built up over the summer if he is out for a while. He will need a mini pre-season again if it is a month or longer. Has there been any information as to what the injury is yet?

The longer term issue could be that Dunn will lose a lot of the fitness he built up over the summer if he is out for a while. He will need a mini pre-season again if it is a month or longer. Has there been any information as to what the injury is yet?

No, but I did post after the Bolton game that he had been having injections in his knees.

Dunn is a big loss, we don't have a player of his level of ability in the squad. If only he had looked after himself and been blessed with a more durable body in my opinion would have been one of the best players in the England team. In fact to this day he could have made such a difference to England. The role he played in the last game really is in my mind made for him - he should have spent his whole career playing that role. (do wonder if when he was young if the system with one striker upfront was used, he probably would have, Interesting thought that one because Matt Jansen might well have been involved more and probably been included in the England team and that accident would not have happened. In fact the more you think about it there been a number of players who might well have thrived - people like Joe Cole.)

Unfortunately Rovers have had to cope without Dunn a lot over the years. So Id move Cairney to a more advanced role and play Evans. Evans is a decent all round cm player whose battling qualities could prove very useful. Would be a good battle between him and Jones. I actually do think a midfield of Cairney, Evans and Lowe could well be enough to win and dominate the midfield. I firmly believe and rate Evans above Jones as a player.

Williamson would have been good but I worry that its a couple of weeks too soon - he might be lacking the sharpness and fitness for what is quite likely to be a physical game. His experience would have been useful, but for all Lowes detractors it would be harsh to drop him . He has vastly improved playing alongside Cairney, and don't forget Cairney isn't the greatest defensively so I actually think Lowe has covered a lot of ground in the midfield role. What was positive is that Evans and Lowe seemed to combine well when Cairney played a more advanced role.

I am genuinely beginning to believe we could end up with one of the strongest and most dominant midfields in the championship. If Williamson can get and stay fit for most of the season from now on he could add that bit of experience. If Bowyer can get Etuhu back playing at the level he produced in prem could get even more interesting, though to be honest it wouldn't surprise me to see him shipped out in January.

Can Cairney get forward enough to support Rhodes. Mind you if Marshall and King are on form we could well again keep possession and if you keep possession its a lot easier to stop Rhodes getting isolated.

Also hope that our two cb have better games especially Dann (think Hanley is improving all the time). Mind you they are going to now be competing with Kilgallon so they will have to perform to keep their place in the team.

There are lot of interesting decisions for Bowyer....

A few less than 1900 by Monday according to the fans forum thread :(

Was always going to happen.

It's always sold out since these draconian travel restrictions have been introduced, but this time around people are just not going to put up with it, simple as that.

Saturday will see barracads like those seen in Northern Ireland during the troubles, the same amount of police as last season and only 2500 away fans, what the hell is all that about?

Pathetic.

read it twice so decided to reply twice. just incase you missed my reply :P

got better things to do on saturday than go to that sh1thole

Says it all really, 'got better things to do'.

Burnley away IS the best thing to do on any day of the week, in any weather, by any transport means.

Mike, appears to me like you have grown up in an era where the Burnley rivalry doesn't mean too much to you as we spent a number of years in the Premiership. A lot of fans grew up not knowing what it was like to play them, and thought Man Utd to be our rivals.

Those that experienced the 70's and 80's know full well what it means and I expect the large majority of the support on Saturday to be in the age range or 35-55 years old.

No, but I did post after the Bolton game that he had been having injections in his knees.

If they are saying a month post op then I can only think that he has a tear in his meniscus and this injury can be masked with cortisone injections. I have known players come back from this in ten days but given Dunn's record I would expect it to be a lot longer. Phil Jones had a similar operation during the early days of Keans tenure and he was out for a few months.

Mike, appears to me like you have grown up in an era where the Burnley rivalry doesn't mean too much to you as we spent a number of years in the Premiership. A lot of fans grew up not knowing what it was like to play them, and thought Man Utd to be our rivals.

Those that experienced the 70's and 80's know full well what it means and I expect the large majority of the support on Saturday to be in the age range or 35-55 years old.

Will, the whole thing started to get out of hand during this period. My experiences of the derby in the early 60s were totally different. It was a different sort of rivalry. You could go to the Turf, stand on the Longside and have some friendly banter and likewise on the Riverside when Burnley came to Ewood. Burnley would often win at Ewood and we would do likewise at Burnley but there was no hatred like today. The whole thing has descended into a pantomime with some fans thinking that beating Burnley is the only thing that matters in life. It doesn't. Personally, I would much rather lose to Burnley twice and win promotion than beat Burnley twice and finish mid-table.

If people are planning trips to B&Q rather than being forced to queue too long for a pie or sit on an unconfortable bus for a bit then it's a very sad state of affairs in my view.

No, people are planning to go to the pub or club half an hour before the kick off, buy a couple of beers and watch the match in comfort. They can then go home in their own time and at their own convenience and celebrate or drown their sorrows as they think fit. A much better choice than paying £40 to be driven like cattle and imprisoned at the ground at the convenience of the police.

Fair weather fans, pick and chose the games you go to rather than supporting the team, in the flesh despite the conditions surrounding the game.

I sometimes wish I was able to do that, it would save me a lot of money and hassle.

I was chatting to my mate about it last night, he was shocked at peoples reasons.

Yes your all entitled to make your own decisions and that's fine.

I know me and my mates, each to a man will be going to every game we play Burnley.
Through thick and thin, no matter what.

Will, the whole thing started to get out of hand during this period. My experiences of the derby in the early 60s were totally different. It was a different sort of rivalry. You could go to the Turf, stand on the Longside and have some friendly banter and likewise on the Riverside when Burnley came to Ewood. Burnley would often win at Ewood and we would do likewise at Burnley but there was no hatred like today. The whole thing has descended into a pantomime with some fans thinking that beating Burnley is the only thing that matters in life. It doesn't. Personally, I would much rather lose to Burnley twice and win promotion than beat Burnley twice and finish mid-table.

Parson I have a theory that once the unbeaten run is over, things will begin to simmer down. There is so much anxiety between the fans, one set desperately clinging to an amazing record, the other equally desperate to see it end. Everyone gets worked up into such a frenzy.

Once we have tasted defeat and the dingles have won a couple. I think banter will resume and be a lot more hospitable. As it is at the moment - many of our fans (myself included as the day draws nearer) cannot even comprehend losing. Once we taste defeat we might realise it isn't life and death and the fixture may be put into perspective.

EDIT: Infact, as difficult as it was to comprehend on the 93rd minute at Ewood Park last season, I didn't feel half as bad as I thought I would at the impending defeat. That did not however dampen the incredible celebrations when Dunny stuck that one in. Unbelievable moment.

Like the chant, my old man is a Burnley fan and he talks fondly of this time when fans of both clubs used to mingle at derbies.

Clearly those days had gone by the time of my first derby in 83 or 84.

Completely agree.

It's important to apply some perspective and logic to what is a game against another local team.

Three points is what matters, not who we're playing.

And, ultimately, if we were to go up this season, it wouldn't matter who specifically we beat or lost to on the way there.

Keep going Will, I've got my coat on, I'm almost out of the door for a ticket.... :rock:

Archived