BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Window 2014

neophox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-sheffield-united-fight-blackburn-6450772?utm_source=Get+West+London&utm_medium=twitter

Judge wanted on loan by Sheff Utd & Brentford, i say let him go with a recall clause. We have Taylor and Rochina back whilst Judge would be able to play competitive games, keep fit and save some wages.

Whilst the club have announced it as a loan with a view to a buy in January I think it is quite clear from what has gone on that Gestede is here to stay.

It took us a very long time to bring him in for a mere 6 weeks loan deal. His unveiling at Ewood Park was that of a player joining on a permanent deal rather than a short term loan. He will be announced as a permanent early in January of that I am sure. I suppose one positive is that some sort of fee must be involved here which suggests there is money to be spent on the right players.

I think we could probably do better than Gestede (people have already mentioned the likes of Becchio) but then again we could do a lot worse, given the financial situation. I think he is a decent option to have up front with Rhodes and once he gets some games and strikes up a working partnership he could do well. He can't be that bad if he was a regular in the Cardiff side that won the league last year. Given the likelihood of Leon Best and DJ Campbell both heading towards the exit door asap then we will need another striker to go with Rhodes and Gestede.

As for Tom Cairney, the club should be doing a deal before the window opens, as Hull are willing sellers and by all accounts he is happy here. If we muck about in the window there is every chance Hull will just sell him to someone else who will play him in his strongest position where he will thrive.

Having said that, if it is Bowyer's plan to persist with Cairney on the right then it is doing neither us nor Cairney himself any favours. He must be getting sick himself with it, because I know I am. No coincidence that with the half time changes today Cairney moved central and we started to cause problems and create more.

I feel sorry for Todd Kane. His Rovers career could well be over off the back of picking up that 5th yellow card. Barring an injury or calamity from Henley I can't see Kane working his way back in. It's a shame because I think he's done ok for us in his time here.

The statement from Bowyer last week about his upcoming trip to India in January was bizarre. If the purpose of his trip is to discuss transfer targets for the window then he is going a month late. This should have been done in early December, but now it is going to be mid January by the time he gets to go out to India and it will be possibly too late to achieve anything positive in the window if we don't even know what we are working with.

I see The Sun have us linked with Wells at Bradford. £3m is the figure quoted!

If, and I appreciate its a big if, Venkys are going to sanction a good spend up in January then its just another mad decision in a long list of mad decisions. The gamble should have been taken in the summer. An experienced manager with a good budget would have been the best option and the one most likely of getting promoted.

I'm torn on this. If we do have £3m to spend in January (and I highly doubt it) then that suggests mid-to-long term commitment (how stupid are these people?). In which case maybe Bowyer does have time to build his own team and perhaps has earned the right to do so. On the other hand, an experience manager suddenly becomes not an unrealistic ambition. Money talks in football.

For that reason, I'm going to say that the £3m link is bunkum.

• Moderation Lead

use the 3mill to clear debt, and get in a few loan signings instead. Becchio in on loan would be okay. or take the 3mill and sign up Cairney instead, as he will be much more important than Wells if Rhodes is still here.

Might need a bit more than 3 mil.....

Whilst the club have announced it as a loan with a view to a buy in January I think it is quite clear from what has gone on that Gestede is here to stay.

It took us a very long time to bring him in for a mere 6 weeks loan deal. His unveiling at Ewood Park was that of a player joining on a permanent deal rather than a short term loan. He will be announced as a permanent early in January of that I am sure. I suppose one positive is that some sort of fee must be involved here which suggests there is money to be spent on the right players.

I think we could probably do better than Gestede (people have already mentioned the likes of Becchio) but then again we could do a lot worse, given the financial situation. I think he is a decent option to have up front with Rhodes and once he gets some games and strikes up a working partnership he could do well. He can't be that bad if he was a regular in the Cardiff side that won the league last year. Given the likelihood of Leon Best and DJ Campbell both heading towards the exit door asap then we will need another striker to go with Rhodes and Gestede.

As for Tom Cairney, the club should be doing a deal before the window opens, as Hull are willing sellers and by all accounts he is happy here. If we muck about in the window there is every chance Hull will just sell him to someone else who will play him in his strongest position where he will thrive.

Having said that, if it is Bowyer's plan to persist with Cairney on the right then it is doing neither us nor Cairney himself any favours. He must be getting sick himself with it, because I know I am. No coincidence that with the half time changes today Cairney moved central and we started to cause problems and create more.

I feel sorry for Todd Kane. His Rovers career could well be over off the back of picking up that 5th yellow card. Barring an injury or calamity from Henley I can't see Kane working his way back in. It's a shame because I think he's done ok for us in his time here.

The statement from Bowyer last week about his upcoming trip to India in January was bizarre. If the purpose of his trip is to discuss transfer targets for the window then he is going a month late. This should have been done in early December, but now it is going to be mid January by the time he gets to go out to India and it will be possibly too late to achieve anything positive in the window if we don't even know what we are working with.

Gestede is nailed on to sign permanently. He's cheap and, to be fair, not a bad player at all. He's started slowly as he hasn't played for quite a while but, like Marshall, I think he'll come good. Saw him play for Cardiff quite a lot and was really impressed with him.

Kamy on Twitter is saying Leicester are after Cairney. Not surprising but we are red hot favourites to get him.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-sheffield-united-fight-blackburn-6450772?utm_source=Get+West+London&utm_medium=twitter

Judge wanted on loan by Sheff Utd & Brentford, i say let him go with a recall clause. We have Taylor and Rochina back whilst Judge would be able to play competitive games, keep fit and save some wages.

Judge is a far better player at this level than the overrated show pony that is Ruben Rochina, yesterday showed that he was far more effective in 20 minutes than Rochina was in 70.

I see The Sun have us linked with Wells at Bradford. £3m is the figure quoted!

If, and I appreciate its a big if, Venkys are going to sanction a good spend up in January then its just another mad decision in a long list of mad decisions. The gamble should have been taken in the summer. An experienced manager with a good budget would have been the best option and the one most likely of getting promoted.

I'd rather see us sign Hanson at Bradford, he seems to be involved in most Wells's goals. And from what I have seen of him he would work well as a foil for Rhodes.

The keeper situation needs sorting, we need one of the 3 keepers on the books to start showing some form, if not get rid of one or all of them.

Defence usually ok, if the ****hole that is Lucash is brought back to the Ciub my season ticket may well go back, we already have one player of that ilk at the Club already in Orr. The last thing we need is another.

Up front we need another striker who can ease the scoring burden on Rhodes.

The most pressing priority is central midfield imo. Need to bring Cairney in and play him centrally and imo we desperately need an effective ballwinner. Sell/loan out Willamson and/or Lowe if necessary.

The keeper situation needs sorting, we need one of the 3 keepers on the books to start showing some form, if not get rid of one or all of them.

Defence usually ok, if the ****hole that is Lucash is brought back to the Ciub my season ticket may well go back, we already have one player of that ilk at the Club already in Orr. The last thing we need is another.

Lucas Neil? , where have you heard that ?

Oh didn't know that ,must have got his "family reasons" sorted out that was the excuse for leaving his Japanese club, must have got home to Aus and scuttled over to the UK after telling supporters to F*** off at a recent international, professional to the last is Luca$ Neil

Edit: Apparently he was offered to all the A league clubs with no takers http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1177218/Little-A-League-interest-for-clubless-Neill

• Moderation Lead

Oh didn't know that ,must have got his "family reasons" sorted out that was the excuse for leaving his Japanese club, must have got home to Aus and scuttled over to the UK after telling supporters to F*** off at a recent international, professional to the last is Luca$ Neil

Haha, I just had a google to see where the story was about Lucas Neill. All the recent news articles and comment from Australian fans were, well, not so favourable!!

Archived