BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most hated player to play for Blackburn

Shearer shouldn't come anywhere into this discussion, without him we would have no Premiership title to talk of. Simply put one of the best (if not the best) Rovers players of all time.

For me

General gripes

Orr - Comments after relegation and subsequent 'pops' at the fans on social media.

Murphy - Comments whilst at Fulham, then mercenary attitude last season.

Best - 14 Apps 2 Goals. More social media controversies than goals in blue and white.

Neill - Lucash, for the way he engineered his way out of the club

Samba - Every transfer window was a chance for a sulk and a press release, IIRC he signed three long term deals in his 4 years at the club!

Peacock - Simply not good enough

Todd - Played well at times, but his aggressive side often let him and the team down. e.g. Dugarry and van Persie

Carsley - Way he walked out on the club

Ferguson - Again the way he jumped ship

Hakan Sukur - Another who jumped ship when he felt like it

Sherwood - Form dipped dramatically after he left, I still think we would have stayed up in 99 had he stayed.

Pantomime villains

Diouf - Off field controversies and negative headlines ruined image of the club

McCarthy - Lost his talent and tried to blame the club

Santa Cruz - Was probably told he could leave if he had a good season with us (ala Bellamy) but we had the last laugh

Blake - Injured from the time the clocks went back until the clocks went forward again.

Bentley - The way he left, but like Santa Cruz we had the last laugh.

Genuine hate

Ashley Ward - Where to start?!!!!! Awful, paid an absolute fortune by all accounts. His terrible performances left a bitter taste for years. I'll never forget a game at Ewood when he was playing and he fell over in front of the Blackburn end, pretty much the whole ground chanted ''OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF''

Your firstb half dozen lines were spot on rog, after that it was all downhill and spoiled your post. The likes of Carsley, Todd, Samba, Diouff and Sherwood are definitely in the bottom half of my most hated list and nowhere near the top! tbh they were all top players and strong characters. To quote Souness they were 'real men'.

Ashley Ward was crap alright but he gave his best and that is all I ask from any player.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Le-saux bitched about Chelsea before he joined us. Then he couldnt wait to get back there to the bright lights. Self proclaimed intelligent footballer because he was a Guardian reader. Not liked by his fellow pro's, which says it all.

I think you have too much respect for footballers if that's part of your argument.

My shout would be Richard Witschge. He hated Rovers so we can hate him! Made 1 appearance for rovers towards the end of the premiership winning season, sulked off home instead of celebrating winning the league, and later described Blackburn as a poor and ugly place! The article in the link below explains in greater details:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/2725

Murphy, Best and Orr take some beating. The problem nowadays though is fans can interact with players via Twitter so you get to find out what they are really thinking.

Had twitter been around longer I'm sure there wold be plenty of others that would have joined this terrible trio.

Todd did kick Dugarry up the bum though, which was quite funny.

Little bit harsh in my opinion to name Andy Todd. ( i know you haven't norbert)

I actually met Andy Todd whilst at the ashes in Perth 3 years ago. He was in the crowd with Robbie Fowler. He was a decent bloke and went out of his way to speak with my group who were all wearing rovers shirts. He remembered his time at rovers fondly.

I remember Todd speaking at some event a few years back and saying the hardest thing about marking Henry was his mundane witterings about how poor everybody else was. In the end he'd bore you into submission or you'd give him space in order to avoid listening to him.

Colin Hendry - Started to dislike the guy when he moved to City, but understood the reasons. He came back and had a purple patch in his career but then forced through a move to Rangers claiming family reasons when really it was for cash. Then we had the stuff thats gone on with his neighbours, absolutely disgusting.

Diouf - I couldn't careless how well he fit into our system or how much effort he put in, if you spit in someone’s face you deserve a slap, thoroughly unpleasant individual.

Billy McKinlay - Allegedly faked injury and made no secret of the fact he was staying here to "Just pick up my wages"

Never have I ever hated anyone more than i hate STEVE KEAN though, and I don't think I ever will :angry2:

I think the word hate needs to be reserved for people like kean the venkys etc. And while there have been players who were poor, lazy, greedy, left us up @#/? creek but the only players I've ever hated are:

1 Orr

2 murphy

Narrowly missing out dann, Myles Anderson, Kevin davis, hendry for conduct after playing days.

Before my time but the older members of family hate derek dougan almost as much as kean. Think in 1960 fa cup final he played injured so could selfishly have his day out not thinking of the team, he handed a transfer request to play for wolves our oppo in the final so with no subs and whelan played with 9 men basically. That's the way they tell it anyway.

Going back to my Ashley Ward gripe.

I was 12/13 at the time and had grown up watching Sutton, Newell, Gallacher and obviously Shearer. Spoilt for choice in the mid to late 90s.

Interesting to see why people have a dislike for certain players.

Also, very interesting to see that many of the ''scapegoats'' haven't made this list, e.g. Emerton, Mokoena, Atkins, Lowe, Andrews

Going back to my Ashley Ward gripe.

I was 12/13 at the time and had grown up watching Sutton, Newell, Gallacher and obviously Shearer. Spoilt for choice in the mid to late 90s.

Interesting to see why people have a dislike for certain players.

Also, very interesting to see that many of the ''scapegoats'' haven't made this list, e.g. Emerton, Mokoena, Atkins, Lowe, Andrews

That's because you can't hate someone for being not good enough as long as the effort is there. The last 5 you mention would all try and put in a shift. So would Ward.

Some people need to take a chill pill. You can't hate someone because they are no good or because they move to another club and don't spend the rest of their career hypocritically fawning abiout their love of all things Blackburn. Orr, Murphy, maybe but apart from that hate is a strong word which shouldn't be used so easily.

Some people need to take a chill pill. You can't hate someone because they are no good or because they move to another club and don't spend the rest of their career hypocritically fawning abiout their love of all things Blackburn. Orr, Murphy, maybe but apart from that hate is a strong word which shouldn't be used so easily.

Are you Jesus?

Shearer shouldn't come anywhere into this discussion, without him we would have no Premiership title to talk of. Simply put one of the best (if not the best) Rovers players of all time.

For me

General gripes

Orr - Comments after relegation and subsequent 'pops' at the fans on social media.

Murphy - Comments whilst at Fulham, then mercenary attitude last season.

Best - 14 Apps 2 Goals. More social media controversies than goals in blue and white.

Neill - Lucash, for the way he engineered his way out of the club

Samba - Every transfer window was a chance for a sulk and a press release, IIRC he signed three long term deals in his 4 years at the club!

Peacock - Simply not good enough

Todd - Played well at times, but his aggressive side often let him and the team down. e.g. Dugarry and van Persie

Carsley - Way he walked out on the club

Ferguson - Again the way he jumped ship

Hakan Sukur - Another who jumped ship when he felt like it

Sherwood - Form dipped dramatically after he left, I still think we would have stayed up in 99 had he stayed.

Pantomime villains

Diouf - Off field controversies and negative headlines ruined image of the club

McCarthy - Lost his talent and tried to blame the club

Santa Cruz - Was probably told he could leave if he had a good season with us (ala Bellamy) but we had the last laugh

Blake - Injured from the time the clocks went back until the clocks went forward again.

Bentley - The way he left, but like Santa Cruz we had the last laugh.

Genuine hate

Ashley Ward - Where to start?!!!!! Awful, paid an absolute fortune by all accounts. His terrible performances left a bitter taste for years. I'll never forget a game at Ewood when he was playing and he fell over in front of the Blackburn end, pretty much the whole ground chanted ''OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF''

Todd? Come on, that is ridiculous. Hated for giving his all and being inspirational in our staying up that year?

RSC hated for having a great season and being bought by someone for a ridiculously high fee to the benefit of our club

Bentley - ditto

Are you Jesus?

Actually, yes I am.

I hate Burnley and Steve kean, that's enough for me.

I really hated Lee Carsley. He NEVER left the centre circle unless he had to take a penalty. Absolutely misery to watch, like being forced to spend the rest of your days eating porridge, driving a beige Austin Metro, in Burnley, with only your mum to go home to.

Horrible.

Archived