BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rao's

reduced wage bill, higher up the league than last season. I'd see that as progress. Wouldnt you?

It is definite progress considering where we were a year ago.

We would all love to have the club back in the pre-venky position - both in terms of being a mid-table premiership club and a club with manageable debt.

But we are where we are, we can only keep supporting and hope the damage isn't irreparable. I don't think there is another owner waiting to buy us - if a rich Sheikh offered mega cash for us then I think we would hear about it, but they may prefer Villa with their fan-base and premiership income.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reduced wage bill, higher up the league than last season. I'd see that as progress. Wouldnt you?

I was talking more from the perspective of an established, well run Premier League club. Over the entirety on the Indians tenure we have regressed more than any of us could ever have imagined. The myth of reducing the wage bill is just that, a myth. We got rid of Murphy and Gomes by paying them off, effectively paying most of their wages for the remainder of their contracts. We still have Best, Etuhu, Robinson, Campbell etc. And all the players Bowyer has brought in will be on decent money. Not to mention the loan fees for players who hardly ever played. We moved up a few places in the Championship, I'll give you that but progress isn't a word I would ever dream of using for the past three years. And also where could we well end up? Administration, receivership, out of business. These people couldn't run a bath.

Problem with talking about progress is that we set different reference points as the baseline. Of course we have regressed since they took over but compared to a year or even 2 years ago we have progressed. Sadly we blew our chance of financial domination in this league and are still suffering the hangover but i prefer our club now to any other under our current owners. That is progress even if we want more...

As for a wealthy Sheik buying us - didn't seem to be many takers last time...

It seems hard to think that the £85m spewed so far will have been in hard cash and so there is likely to be borrowing in India .We believe that must be against personal assets in India rather than Company assets or the shareholders of Venkys as a public quoted company would be kicking off good style.

I cant think our owners are a million miles away from thinking that and that is why we are very afraid. It may not be just yet but it aint far away.

Who are 'we' TBTF?

But good post and good points, and pretty much my view on it. The recent upsurge in form and 'mood' is there for all to see but the spectre of mounting debt will not go away. At some time a 'stop loss' policy will have to be implemented.

The venky's have screwed up big time but imo our demise from the Prem was inevitable even under the Trust. Fact of the matter is that BRFC as a club simply cannot cut it financially in the top flight. One slip even under the Trust and we were always going to be in the crap and that time was most definitely coming. The motivation provided by Jack Walker himself is not to be found in the Walker Trust AND tbh I fully understand why. Jack transformed this club into Premier league winners with 30m or so spent on buying players (never mind their wages) but I doubt he'd go near it now! The time for multi millionaires is well past, now it's for billionaires .... and multi ones at that.

Who are 'we' TBTF?

But good post and good points, and pretty much my view on it. The recent upsurge in form and 'mood' is there for all to see but the spectre of mounting debt will not go away. At some time a 'stop loss' policy will have to be implemented.

The venky's have screwed up big time but imo our demise from the Prem was inevitable even under the Trust. Fact of the matter is that BRFC as a club simply cannot cut it financially in the top flight. One slip even under the Trust and we were always going to be in the crap and that time was most definitely coming. The motivation provided by Jack Walker himself is not to be found in the Walker Trust AND tbh I fully understand why. Jack transformed this club into Premier league winners with 30m or so spent on buying players (never mind their wages) but I doubt he'd go near it now! The time for multi millionaires is well past, now it's for billionaires .... and multi ones at that.

And yet....if they hadn't made their repeated kamikaze decisions...look at the income that the club would have received in the last year alone!.They MUST have known the riches that were in store.

Our ...er...benefactors would only have had to spend a fraction of the millions they have spent on debt to keep us in place for the new Premier League funds to be available.Then, whenever we did get relegated, look at the fighting fund we could have had.

I do agree with much of your analysis e.g.your "one slip and in the crap" scenario. Actually, I thought we had made that fatal slip with the bizarre appointment of Paul Ince, but, as you know, there was a big difference back then: board room knowledge, expertise and know how to rectify the situation. Compare that with Venky's, Shebby and Kean..You really couldn't make it up..

It amuses me that Rovers fans spend page after page on the finances of the club when in actual fact they don't have a pigging clue what they are talking about.

It amuses me that Rovers fans spend page after page on the finances of the club when in actual fact they don't have a pigging clue what they are talking about.

I presume in 'they' you're referring to The Rao's Al.

Well we do know it aint good Al!

btw stop shouting!

I presume in 'they' you're referring to The Rao's Al.

You know damn well who I am referring to. The Rao's may be clueless but they do know what they are prepared to finance (I think). None of us do and discussing the finances on here is futile.

You know damn well who I am referring to. The Rao's may be clueless but they do know what they are prepared to finance (I think). None of us do and discussing the finances on here is futile.

So by that mark is reading about it too. So push off Victor. :P

You need to research Venkys holdings and learn a little about the indian upper class culture.

FFP aside, whatever money Venkys have put in or will have to put in until our overpaid non-playing Kean "investments" run out of their contracts and we have a more respectable wage bill befitting our current league position, Venkys HAVE that and more and I very much doubt its a huge worry for them even now.

That said, as others have stated its unlikely that they will want to continue pumping money into the club if they realise that the chances of top flight football on our budget (with the FFP restrictions) is unlikely, then the various doom scenarios could become a possibility and in that, the Dingles promotion might give Gary more breathing space and leverage to say yes its very possible seeing the lack of facilities and structure the Dingles have at their disposal and still managed to do it.

The immediate worry has to be what effect financially we are faced with when FFP hits us. I do believe GB will have told Venkys that he won't be needing to do any business come January and I see us utilising more of our own youngsters in the forseeable future. But a stiff penalty from the FFP could be what changes Venkys mind about whether they WANT to keep bank rolling their "baby".

But mark my words theirs little doubt in my mind that they do have the finances to bank roll us for a long long time. The real question is whether theres enough incentive for them to keep doing it and I'd say unless we're at least in the playoffs next season and looking good to go back up again within a few seasons, then No.

• Moderation Lead

I'm glad you're that confident Booyakasha, it could easily be viewed as getting us more and more into debt, if we fail to be promoted again, they could just 'cut and run', then what happens to us?

Because I tell you what, nothing they've done so far has given me any confidence in them!!

I'm glad you're that confident Booyakasha, it could easily be viewed as getting us more and more into debt, if we fail to be promoted again, they could just 'cut and run', then what happens to us?

Because I tell you what, nothing they've done so far has given me any confidence in them!!

I agree as I still have little confidence in them. However, though many said they would sell all the assets and cut and run - they are still here and importantly still funding us !

As I said, I'm confident they have the resources at their disposal. They also appear - at least for the time being - to continue to bank roll us (not saying they are happy to be doing it but I very much doubt its on the top of their worry list either and in the twisted world of business it would surprise me if they aren't taking advantage of the many tax loopholes available whuch I'm sure their finance pwople would be aware of.

Our immediate worry is how they react to any FFP penalties and in the long term how long it takes for them to work out thr mathematicals on our chances to play top flight again. I'm in the doubters camp on that one and if we have a bad season this next year especially with the impending embargos, it could trigger them having to rethink whether they want to keep feeding this cash hungry venture.

One thing I will say is I very much doubt Venkys are in any way worried about writing off these losses and walking away. Like most of the billionaire club owners, this was an expensive toy that they thought would bring prestige and honours acquisitioning and due to their gross mismanagement that appears unikely to ever happen anytime soon.

So the only real question is: Will Venkys eventually walk away and when?

Only Vemkys can answer that question and history tells us that even if they came out and said it again that they have no intentions of walking away, very few would believe them anyway.

As supporters all we can do is support the club and hope we can turn it around again or bury our head in the sand with wild fantasies of fan buy outs and competing in the cash mad football world with peanuts in our pockets.

The truth is we will be far worse off if Venkys leave now. The best thing we can do for our club is leave the finances to the those who have any influence on them and get behind the team where we can make a difference.

Why?

Because I refuse to live in a doom and gloom world you seem to enjoy living in Abbey?

What good does sitting there worrying about the debts or crying VENKYSCUM OUT going to achieve? You don't have to like the owners to care about the club. You do however need to realise its THEIR club now and its future lies in what future decisions they take.

You don't have to like that fact either. But its a fact.

Why?

Because I refuse to live in a doom and gloom world you seem to enjoy living in Abbey?

What good does sitting there worrying about the debts or crying VENKYSCUM OUT going to achieve? You don't have to like the owners to care about the club. You do however need to realise its THEIR club now and its future lies in what future decisions they take.

You don't have to like that fact either. But its a fact.

Rovers are MY Club!!!

The Rao's are the current custodians of a rich heritage which through ignorance, stupidity or desire have decimated.

Now be a good lad and @#/? off and tell that to your paymasters in Pune.

Archived