BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Moderation Lead

Its not just you Al, I get that, I'm guilty also.

You've got plenty of good things to say Al, I enjoy reading your football opinions, just seems it's more rowing these days which is a shame.

Everyone's at it GAV, if you dare to have an alternative opinion, you've had it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, and we all get drawn in.

Its driven most quality posters away and I'm beginning to think if it's worth it. Often decent debate gets pulled to bits and posters slagged off which is just wrong.

It's all getting very tiresome.

I'm sure your house is fine and when it comes to anonymous hate mail I bow to your superior knowledge. How do you send it these days now that newspaper cuttings are outdated. I notice that you never post unless you are attacking somebody else. You have no room to talk.

Why so serious? Lol.

Seriously you are accusing me of attacking? Here's a challenge, from now till next week let's see who posts about the matches and who talks about Chaddy... ;)

It will be nice to talk about transfers again once our embargo is lifted. Dead weight like Robbo will help do that. Nice bloke but I wouldn't mind getting paid 30k a week for doing nothing.

Why so serious? Lol.

Seriously you are accusing me of attacking? Here's a challenge, from now till next week let's see who posts about the matches and who talks about Chaddy... ;)

You leave my mate Chaddy out of it. What's he done to upset you?:)

You leave my mate Chaddy out of it. What's he done to upset you?:)

You broke that in 5 minutes!

When someone doesn't want to be your mate and you keep pestering them it sounds a lot like stalking... ;)

When someone doesn't want to be your mate and you keep pestering them it sounds a lot like stalking... ;)

What are you on about? What did I do to upset you now?

Pleased to here it Al. We might disagree on some things but at the end of the day we are both passionate Rovers fans and we support them through the good and bad times and be a Season Ticket holder aswell.

The problem with a lot of the Rhodes debate is that people talk as if every player is an Alan Shearer or a Chris Sutton or a Craig Bellamy or a young Fred Pickering or John Byrom. Those who have been watching Rovers for forty years or more will probably agree that for the vast majority of those years, certainly before Jack Walker came along, the thing which constantly held us back was not having or being able to afford a finisher or prolific goal scorer capable of scoring 20 goals a season on a regular basis.

People who bustle about, hold the ball up and score 5 goals a season, and/or chase lost causes are ten a penny. Strikers who can finish and score plenty of goals season after season are relatively speaking, rare as hen's teeth. Could Rhodes score 15-20 or even 10 -15 regularly in the Premiership? I think so but we'll never know unless and until he actually gets there.

It's not just about scorers, although without them you won't get far. It's about not having to score 3 goals to get a draw. Until recently we were soft touches at the other end of the pitch.

What are you on about? What did I do to upset you now?

Was the smiley face with a wink not clear enough lol...

Learn to chill a little Al, hypertension and stress are not good for your health :)

I rarely start an argument but never hesitate to retaliate. You are at it now. Do you expect me to sit here and take it without reply?

Stop it, stop it, your killing me... You not starting arguments, ha ha!

It's amazing that you reserve more appreciation for a big lump who makes Heskey look prolific, but continue to criticise our 20 goal a season striker.

It's amazing that you can be so opinionated when you never go to a match.

It's amazing that you can be so opinionated when you never go to a match.

Nicely sidestepped. Carry on with the Brown love-in and the Rhodes bashing, because once Jordan & Rudy have gone, plodders like Brown will be our standard.

Varney I'll grant you but I believe Brown has brought much to the team recently abbey. He's never going to be a fox in the box like Rhodes and he's never going to be a fast raiding striker like King but Brown playing in the hole, putting himself about, holding the ball up and bullying the opposition has coincided with improvements in a number of other players imo. Cairney and Rhodes being ready examples. Brown is dominating the opposition 'in the hole' and taking a lot of pressure off Cairney and allowing him to be much more creative and influential. He allows Cairney time and space to come onto the ball facing forward. I've already said elsewhere that his strength in back to goal situations is helping the defence no end. Keeping a clearance for even a few seconds allows the defence and midfield to 're-form' and become solid again. Brown does that in spades. He isn't eye candy for sure but he has been bloody effective in strengthening us a unit recently.

Don't disagree but the hate rhodes gets is barmy

Abbey I just say what I see and give an honest opinion. I admit that I'm certainly no Rhodes groupie but where is the hate for Rhodes or anybody in the post you quoted? The only reference to him was that he was as a 'fox in the box' and I doubt that you or anybody can ever argue with that. Outside the box he's as useless as a chocolate teapot. :tu:

Everyone's at it GAV, if you dare to have an alternative opinion, you've had it.

I manage OK K-Hod. Everytime I have an alternative opinion I just wait a few weeks until everybody has come around to agreeing with it. :tu:

Abbey I just say what I see and give an honest opinion. I admit that I'm certainly no Rhodes groupie but where is the hate for Rhodes or anybody in the post you quoted? The only reference to him was that he was as a 'fox in the box' and I doubt that you or anybody can ever argue with that. Outside the box he's as useless as a chocolate teapot. :tu:

Doesnt need to do anything outside the box because he scores 20+ every season inside the box!

We'd all like a striker that has a better all round game, but thats what we've got and we should be bloody greatful we have him.

Why so serious? Lol.

It will be nice to talk about transfers again once our embargo is lifted. Dead weight like Robbo will help do that. Nice bloke but I wouldn't mind getting paid 30k a week for doing nothing.

I'm sure Robbo would prefer to play. Why attack him? Its not his fault if he isn't picked.

Nicely sidestepped. Carry on with the Brown love-in and the Rhodes bashing, because once Jordan & Rudy have gone, plodders like Brown will be our standard.

You're being a bit harsh on Brown Toppers, he's not the best striker in the world but like Varney he gives his all, he also offers us something different and is a good backup striker.

I'm aware of that and when that happens we'll be looking for another fox in the box. I'm pretty sure that you don't understand very much about football at all.

btw Re: Rudy I believe that I was the first on here to spot Gestedes potential after last seasons Dec draw with Sheff Wed and I have championed him as our best all round striker since then. Against likely territorial pressure from prem opposition in the FA Cup I've preferred King to the pair of them and I think thats been validated too. You need to realise that we have 3 very different strikers and they cant all play at the same time.

FFS. That was a joke from Al wasn't it? One to lower the temperature I'd have thought. Put Al on ignore if you can't resist having a pop at him.

You call HIM a stalker? IMO you are trying to drive him off the MB and driving the rest of us round the bend at the same time.

You're being a bit harsh on Brown Toppers, he's not the best striker in the world but like Varney he gives his all, he also offers us something different and is a good backup striker.

Relative to Rhodes & Rudy, he's a plodder. As you alluded to, he's back-up at best, not first-team material.

I'm aware of that and when that happens we'll be looking for another fox in the box. I'm pretty sure that you don't understand very much about football at all.

Ah, more ad hominems. Is that all you've got?

• Backroom

Brown's a decent player to have in the squad as long as we have a Rhodes or Gestede who can actually score the goals needed. Unfortunately as a striker who doesn't score Brown has limited use when paired up with less talented players - next season we may be faced with this scenario.

Relative to Rhodes & Rudy, he's a plodder. As you alluded to, he's back-up at best, not first-team material.

Ah, more ad hominems. Is that all you've got?

Brown imo is not as good a striker, nor will ever be as prolific as Gestede, Rhodes and King but at the moment he has played his way into becoming automatic choice in the deeper role that Bowyer has been playing him in. Pretty sure his teammates would agree with me.

You need to stop repeating the opinions of the less informed on here. Until you watch the players in the flesh you will have little idea about the merits of each

Brown imo is not as good a striker, nor will ever be as prolific as Gestede, Rhodes and King but at the moment he has played his way into becoming automatic choice in the deeper role that Bowyer has been playing him in. Pretty sure his teammates would agree with me.

You need to stop repeating the opinions of the less informed on here. Until you watch the players in the flesh you will have little idea about the merits of each

Ah, if only Rhodes was a carthorse who put himself about and couldn't score for toffee. Then perhaps he'd finally win your respect. :)

Ah, if only Rhodes was a carthorse who put himself about and couldn't score for toffee. Then perhaps he'd finally win your respect. :)

I don't know if you were at The Valley but if you were there you will have seen that Brown's contribution was making space and taking markers away from Rhodes. At Hillsborough he made the goal for Rhodes with his physical presence winning the ball in the air and heading down for Rhodes. Brown is a bit of a throwback in being an old fashioned physical centre-forward who keeps defenders occupied and never gives them a minute on the ball. He may not score many himself, but he will certainly create the space for other to profit from. I'm sure Rhodes appreciates the work that Brown does. It might not be eye candy but it is effective.

Funny you should mention Jordan Rhodes and carthorse in the same sentence. He really does makes Josh King look like Frankel. :lol:

I've said fox in the box and that really is the best description that I can think of for JR. Do you really want me to add 'and donkey out of it' to my assessment?

I don't know if you were at The Valley but if you were there you will have seen that Brown's contribution was making space and taking markers away from Rhodes. At Hillsborough he made the goal for Rhodes with his physical presence winning the ball in the air and heading down for Rhodes. Brown is a bit of a throwback in being an old fashioned physical centre-forward who keeps defenders occupied and never gives them a minute on the ball. He may not score many himself, but he will certainly create the space for other to profit from. I'm sure Rhodes appreciates the work that Brown does. It might not be eye candy but it is effective.

Were you at the valley Amoruso? It's virtually a home fixture for you isn't it?

Archived