BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

Brown and King ?

I wonder who Rhodes prefers as his partner? Perhaps Brown is his Newell.

I've only really seen the cup ties this season but, on that limited evidence, we seem to have two sets of forward pairings who are both effective enough to be first choice: Rhodes/Brown and Gestede/King. I can't remember us ever being in a similar poistion.

Quite right. As Ive said before Brown and King might have most mileage against Premier League clubs who we'd expect to press us back more and play up to the half way line.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brown is a striker who does a job for the team. Team player. But lets Rhodes play further up and Brown drop deeper.

Similar to Lee Novak who Rhodes enjoyed playing with at Huddersfield.

I think he's pretty rubbish, however I agree with what you are saying Chaddy, good point.

Brown is a striker who does a job for the team. Team player. But lets Rhodes play further up and Brown drop deeper.

Similar to Lee Novak who Rhodes enjoyed playing with at Huddersfield.

They should have brought Novak in when they got Rhodes. Good pairing that was, almost telepathic :)

Seems my opinion is becoming increasingly supported and Amarillo's lack of football nous is being highlighted. I've championed Gestede for 12 months but I have to say whilst he will never be as prolific I believe that Brown is better for the entire team. He takes a lot of weight off midfield and creates time and space for them and is a naturally safe 'out' for the defence when it's under pressure. If he carries on in thie vein he will make that place his own leaving King, Gestede and Rhodes to fight it out up top in a 'horses for courses' scenario.

One thing to add (and I admit I've not done any sums) is that I feel whilst JR is great in the penalty area and is very prolific against the supposedly weaker teams he doesn't seem to do as well against the stronger teams. Maybe somebody might like to provide some stats although it's prob well nigh impossible when GB is choosing to rest him against the better opposition.

Against teams above us:

Started 10

Played as a Sub 2

Subbed off at half time 1

Scored 3

He has been subbed in a few of the games he started, would say around 960 minutes of football he's played, therefore a goal every 320 minutes, a goal every 3 and a half games.

Seems my opinion is becoming increasingly supported and Amarillo's lack of football nous is being highlighted. I've championed Gestede for 12 months but I have to say whilst he will never be as prolific I believe that Brown is better for the entire team. He takes a lot of weight off midfield and creates time and space for them and is a naturally safe 'out' for the defence when it's under pressure. If he carries on in thie vein he will make that place his own leaving King, Gestede and Rhodes to fight it out up top in a 'horses for courses' scenario.

Just be thankful we have a lethal finisher for someone like Brown to create time and space for.

I won't hold my breath.

• Moderation Lead

Just be thankful we have a lethal finisher for someone like Brown to create time and space for.

I won't hold my breath.

That's what Rhodes' game is based on, he struggles up top solo. He thrives with someone like Brown (or a no.10 in behind)....

Nicely sidestepped. Carry on with the Brown love-in and the Rhodes bashing, because once Jordan & Rudy have gone, plodders like Brown will be our standard.

Not.my.business but you totally missed TNDs point. Its quite valid.

Funny you should mention Jordan Rhodes and carthorse in the same sentence. He really does makes Josh King look like Frankel. :lol:

I've said fox in the box and that really is the best description that I can think of for JR. Do you really want me to add 'and donkey out of it' to my assessment?

Were you at the valley Amoruso? It's virtually a home fixture for you isn't it?

Id give it up gordon i dont think they are picking ip what you are putting down. I dont think they want to. I got it and i appreciate the info on Brown that stats will never show. Cant be hurting our all round team performance either if the ball is not coming straight back into our half can it.

Not.my.business but you totally missed TNDs point. Its quite valid.

Oh, I understood it perfectly. That Brown brings an added dimension to our team with his physicality and work-rate, yadda yadda. What I don't understand is how the honourary chairman of the Brown fan-club can continue to malign our 20 goal a-season striker.

I didn't really get the Rhodes bashing either but then I've seen very little of the team over the past few years. I've seen Rhodes twice this season and he looked a bit disinterested so I suppose I have a bit more of an understanding of the grumbling. That said, he scored the winning goals in both games!

I liked what I saw of Chris Brown. Yes, he's a strong lad but I think he's technically decent as well. He has a good touch so the ball sticks with him, he also doesn't have to concentrate too much on getting the ball under control allowing him time to use possession intelligently, which I think he does. He's a very good foil for Rhodes and I reckon that he and Gestede would be a right physical challenge for most Championship defences.

He certainly doesn't deserve some of the stick and snide comments some have directed at him on here.

Id give it up gordon i dont think they are picking ip what you are putting down. I dont think they want to. I got it and i appreciate the info on Brown that stats will never show. Cant be hurting our all round team performance either if the ball is not coming straight back into our half can it.

Exactly. Defending from the front is an aspect of the game that we have been missing.

Oh, I understood it perfectly. That Brown brings an added dimension to our team with his physicality and work-rate, yadda yadda. What I don't understand is how the honourary chairman of the Brown fan-club can continue to malign our 20 goal a-season striker.

Maybe cos I watch him for 90+ minutes instead of 2 mins on the Football league Show.

I didn't really get the Rhodes bashing either but then I've seen very little of the team over the past few years. I've seen Rhodes twice this season and he looked a bit disinterested so I suppose I have a bit more of an understanding of the grumbling. That said, he scored the winning goals in both games!

I liked what I saw of Chris Brown. Yes, he's a strong lad but I think he's technically decent as well. He has a good touch so the ball sticks with him, he also doesn't have to concentrate too much on getting the ball under control allowing him time to use possession intelligently, which I think he does. He's a very good foil for Rhodes and I reckon that he and Gestede would be a right physical challenge for most Championship defences.

He certainly doesn't deserve some of the stick and snide comments some have directed at him on here.

It's only those whose entire knowledge of the game I could comfortably write on the back of a postage stamp in felt tip.

I think most of us realise the guy is honest as the day is long and works his nuts off. I am in the camp of that being a given with anybody to be honest. Problem with Brown is that he just doesn't look like he is ever going to score and if we have any aspirations of top 6 or better then our strikers have to come up with well into double figures. Being a hard working foil for Jordan or Rudy simply isn't good enough for a team aiming for the top end of the league. But Bowyers comments about Brown are making me dislike Brown !! Bowyer is completely OTT about how fantastic this guy is. Did exceptionally well for the goal at Cardiff (scuffed from 6 yards) , outstanding flick on blah blah . Same with Varney .. outstanding for the team defending from the front. Just justifying bang average signings.

Jordan and Rudy up top with their goal power has to be our week in , week out front two , end of. If we have to have Brown on for 15 minutes at the end then that's as good as it should get. If Bowyer could ever sort out the make up of what was playing behind them two then we 'd be going up automatic. That's where all Bowyers efforts should be going instead of prattling on justifying average signings.

• Backroom

I think Brown is far more effective than Varney - the only real comparison between the two is that they are strikers who have poor goal records. Brown brings a lot more to the team than Varney overall, imo, though neither are good enough on their own. We need a quality striker to play along with Brown, which is why if we sell Rhodes & Gestede in the summer I think we're stuffed next season.

I think most of us realise the guy is honest as the day is long and works his nuts off. I am in the camp of that being a given with anybody to be honest. Problem with Brown is that he just doesn't look like he is ever going to score and if we have any aspirations of top 6 or better then our strikers have to come up with well into double figures. Being a hard working foil for Jordan or Rudy simply isn't good enough for a team aiming for the top end of the league. But Bowyers comments about Brown are making me dislike Brown !! Bowyer is completely OTT about how fantastic this guy is. Did exceptionally well for the goal at Cardiff (scuffed from 6 yards) , outstanding flick on blah blah . Same with Varney .. outstanding for the team defending from the front. Just justifying bang average signings.

Jordan and Rudy up top with their goal power has to be our week in , week out front two , end of. If we have to have Brown on for 15 minutes at the end then that's as good as it should get. If Bowyer could ever sort out the make up of what was playing behind them two then we 'd be going up automatic. That's where all Bowyers efforts should be going instead of prattling on justifying average signings.

Emile Heskey used to get a lot of stick as well. Not from Michael Owen though.

Gary Bowyer comes out with a bit of manager speak. He tries to protect his players and boost their confidence. He'd certainly raise some eyebrows if he publically slagged the players off. I can see why some of his platitudes would grate on folk but Bowyer is an ex youth team coach, I imagine that trying to boost players confidence (even with bs) is his default position.

Emile Heskey used to get a lot of stick as well. Not from Michael Owen though.

Gary Bowyer comes out with a bit of manager speak. He tries to protect his players and boost their confidence. He'd certainly raise some eyebrows if he publically slagged the players off. I can see why some of his platitudes would grate on folk but Bowyer is an ex youth team coach, I imagine that trying to boost players confidence (even with bs) is his default position.

well perhaps if he kept it in the dressing room instead of ramming it down our throats (via that apologist in the LT) then it might be more understandable. I would also say platitudes we can cope with but outrageous superlatives are something different. of course nobody would expect him to be publicly critical of them either.

By the way , I would settle for Brown adopting Heskeys scoring record-even this seasons !!! LOL

• Backroom

Brown to Rhodes

I also see:

Roberts to McCarthy
Newell to Shearer
Bent to Jansen

Whereas Gestede is the Santa Cruz, who likes to get his head on it and will score.

So in a nutshell: Gestede (and King if poss) vs a high line. Brown and Rhodes vs a deep line. Against PL teams, possibly go for Brown, King AND Gestede?

I agree with Gordon about defending from the front. That's been lacking at Rovers for too long. If bloody Barcelona's players can be bothered about fighting for possession high up the pitch our guys should capable of it too. It's not a skill thing it's a work rate plus organisation thing.

......plus a manager who tells them how to play thing.

Brown to Rhodes

I also see:

Roberts to McCarthy

Newell to Shearer

Bent to Jansen

Whereas Gestede is the Santa Cruz, who likes to get his head on it and will score.

So in a nutshell: Gestede (and King if poss) vs a high line. Brown and Rhodes vs a deep line. Against PL teams, possibly go for Brown, King AND Gestede?

Good comparisons and maybe we might just have been a bit better off points wise if Brown had been fit from the start. Although King only got a sniff really when the roulette wheel finally stopped on him. If that lot is kept together next season then no reason not to be having a right good go every week from the start, home and away. No excuses for plodding about then.

I think Brown is far more effective than Varney - the only real comparison between the two is that they are strikers who have poor goal records. Brown brings a lot more to the team than Varney overall, imo, though neither are good enough on their own. We need a quality striker to play along with Brown, which is why if we sell Rhodes & Gestede in the summer I think we're stuffed next season.

Brown is a poor man's Ashley Ward. If he's a regular starter next season, we are indeed stuffed.

Archived