BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

Bottom line for me is that we simply can't afford to pay any player £40,000 a week on gates of 10,000 to 12,000.

We can't but it would seem the owners can that's why they gave him a contract extension.

For me if it's going to happen it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Can't be doing with it all summer long while they sell ST's then he goes just before season starts and it would be no surprise to see it done that way. At least if it happens before then people know where they stand and the club can try and pacify fans a bit by stating their intentions for next season and we'll see what really happens with the embargo situation and the money from the sale.

I don't doubt that they do, in fact I'm sure that Rhodes would be a good fit for them, especially so if they were promoted this time.

Let's not forget Rhodes uncle Agnew who was at Hull at the time of their interest but is now at Boro. Could be him on the blower to Nixon.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

We can't but it would seem the owners can that's why they gave him a contract extension.

For me if it's going to happen it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Can't be doing with it all summer long while they sell ST's then he goes just before season starts and it would be no surprise to see it done that way. At least if it happens before then people know where they stand and the club can try and pacify fans a bit by stating their intentions for next season and we'll see what really happens with the embargo situation and the money from the sale.

Let's not forget Rhodes uncle Agnew who was at Hull at the time of their interest but is now at Boro. Could be him on the blower to Nixon.

Ahhh, I didn't know he had gone there, that would make sense with the constant links. He's an ex-Rover as well!

Totally agree that if were selling him it needs to be at the start of the window. I hate long drawn out sagas. But to assume that anyone would then state their intentions for next season is pie in the sky and who would believe a word they said anyway?

Ahhh, I didn't know he had gone there, that would make sense with the constant links. He's an ex-Rover as well!

The gazette had the link in one of their stories last week.

I can quite see that those who wanted to sell Rhodes in the summer to strengthen the squad have an argument.

I don't agree with it but there is one.

However, from a supporters point of view, what's the use of selling him now?

Puts a real damper on the rest of the season and we can't buy replacements anyway.

By stating intentions I mean let's see what really happens with the money and the embargo and if there is anything to spend. Would they go out and secure a possible half decent replacement in good time for next season or would it start the chain reaction of sales we all fear and see us continue to scrape for freebies and loans ? At least we'd have a good idea. I'd never expect any sort of written or spoken statement though. Mind you the only one I'd want to see from Shaw etc would be 'goodbye, thanks for having me' !

I realise that we probably have to sell Rhodes, wage and money we'll get etc. But selling him because he is not good enough for us is ridiculous, he might have weak points in his game, but name me a player in our team who doesn't. The fact is that his strengths are much much much better than the strengths of the rest of the team. Name me one player over the last 3 seasons we've been in the championship who has actually DONE their job? I can't think of one that hasn't been anything but inconsistent, see Marshall, Cairney, Conway, they are all as good as any player in this league when on top of their game, but they can't do it consistently. Rhodes has scored 20+ goals in his last 2 seasons and Id be willing to bet with anyone that he'll hit the 20 goal mark this season again, despite Bowyer setting up a team to detriment him. Be careful what you wish for when we line up with hard worker Chris Brown up front, we may be fortunate enough to find 20 goals between our midfielders, but I very much doubt that. IMO

I'm not advocating selling Rhodes at all btw. But if we have to for whatever reason it needs to be at the start of the window not at he end, and preferably not now. Giving him to another championship club now is a rotten idea in mh book. I'd love to see the boro get promotion since we can't but not if we have to give them jr to enable them to do it.

I realise that we probably have to sell Rhodes, wage and money we'll get etc. But selling him because he is not good enough for us is ridiculous, he might have weak points in his game, but name me a player in our team who doesn't. The fact is that his strengths are much much much better than the strengths of the rest of the team. Name me one player over the last 3 seasons we've been in the championship who has actually DONE their job? I can't think of one that hasn't been anything but inconsistent, see Marshall, Cairney, Conway, they are all as good as any player in this league when on top of their game, but they can't do it consistently. Rhodes has scored 20+ goals in his last 2 seasons and Id be willing to bet with anyone that he'll hit the 20 goal mark this season again, despite Bowyer setting up a team to detriment him. Be careful what you wish for when we line up with hard worker Chris Brown up front, we may be fortunate enough to find 20 goals between our midfielders, but I very much doubt that. IMO

That's one of the issues I have with Bowyer. If you have one of the best goalscorers in the league at your disposal, why are you not setting up your team to get the best out of him?

Neither am I wanting to sell him. Keep at all costs and trim and trade (Hanley) smartly to freshen up the squad. Get another cheap/loan from somewhere who's a bit nippy and at least has a goal or two in him at this level. We know Rudy's a goner so Brown is for the donkey work and if we need another similar this type are ten a penny in the lower leagues.

I can quite see that those who wanted to sell Rhodes in the summer to strengthen the squad have an argument.

I don't agree with it but there is one.

However, from a supporters point of view, what's the use of selling him now?

Puts a real damper on the rest of the season and we can't buy replacements anyway.

Because the offer is (reportedly) on the table and Boro would probably not bid in the Summer should they not go up.

Can we not insist they take Bowyer to put the cones out as part of the deal? ;-)

Won't happen but I would use the money to entice a half decent manager.

Some saying Rhodes wasn't worth the £8million. All reports suggest the fee was a one-off and no further investment would have been made in the squad had it not been spent on a striker (makes sense considering how late in the window we signed him). If we had signed a 15-goal a season striker instead, chances are we'd be in League One.

Considering he's turned a relegation fight under Gaz into a battle for mid-table and we are likely to get our money back, he has been worth every penny.

I must say now Lowe and Handley are injured long term the usual suspects are turning their requirement for fresh blood towards Brown. Pretty sure a psychologist would have a field day with our band of moon struck whip tops.

If you were selling a car and received two derisory bids, would you accept a third derisory bid because had rejected the first two?

Bottom line for me is that we simply can't afford to pay any player £40,000 a week on gates of 10,000 to 12,000.

Yup. That is the bottom line for sure. The maths simply do not add up.

Rhodes has been here 3 seasons now and we haven't acheived promotion - That of course isn't his fault, but given the fact that he was bought with the specific intention of firing us to promotion, it saldy hasn't been a worthwhile investment.

£12m is a very good offer and 9.9999 times of of 10 I would accept it and begin planning for next season.

Sadly, we are under a transfer embargo so no hope of replacing him unless it's a freebie or a very astute loan. God forbid we'll be stuck with Rudy and Brown as our front two - This is a very sticky situation and without being privvy to the discussions/plans of how to go about replacing him, I literally couldn't decide whether I would want to sell him or not.

I'm off to tie a pillow on to my arse, this fence is giving me splinters....

The last line made me smile.

Exactly, not his fault at all, but the desired result has not been achieved. I'm sure Rhodes was meant to be the icing on our expensive cake and guarantee promotion. Then contribute in rhe division above.

Some saying Rhodes wasn't worth the £8million. All reports suggest the fee was a one-off and no further investment would have been made in the squad had it not been spent on a striker (makes sense considering how late in the window we signed him). If we had signed a 15-goal a season striker instead, chances are we'd be in League One.

Considering he's turned a relegation fight under Gaz into a battle for mid-table and we are likely to get our money back, he has been worth every penny.

If Boro want to wax 12 million on Rhodes then let's not stop them eh? We cannot afford him on the current contract, we are nowhere near promotion, his lack of speed and strength limits our playing options and unless considering building an entire team around him to maximise chances 10 yards from goal it is very difficult slotting him into an effective playing style. I know you disagree, am not highlighting your posts, just commenting my view on this player.

There are plenty of examples of low priced forwards at this level who have scored similar maounts to Rhodes in individual seasons. They are not easy to find granted, but equally they don't cost 8 million quid and 40k per week.

I don't get where this Rhodes is a crap player comes from, yes his all round game could be a lot better but the fact is that his goals in the first season kept us up despite the circus going on around the club, last season his goals nearly got us a top 6 finish and this season despite not being at his best he is still joint top scorer with 16 goals.

Find a regular goalscorer is not that easy, we got lucky with Rudy (and I am delighted that we did) but that might not happen next year.

But the economic of it make it more and more likely that we will have to sell if the offer is really £12 million!

I doubt at this stage, if they have made a concrete offer, that it would be that high. If they don't go up, they'll not be that well off financially. Better than us possibly but able to pay 12 million better off. Doubt it. The 12 million would probably be dependent on loads of other things

I don't get where this Rhodes is a crap player comes from, yes his all round game could be a lot better but the fact is that his goals in the first season kept us up despite the circus going on around the club, last season his goals nearly got us a top 6 finish and this season despite not being at his best he is still joint top scorer with 16 goals.

Find a regular goalscorer is not that easy, we got lucky with Rudy (and I am delighted that we did) but that might not happen next year.

But the economic of it make it more and more likely that we will have to sell if the offer is really £12 million!

Not sure if this is aimed at me but I will respond anyway.

In my view, there is no such thing as a crap professional footballer. With a million and one players falling by the wayside as simply not good enough, anyone paid to play sport professionally is worthy of a certain respect in my view. Even those lower down the ladder and playing semi-pro. Try getting paid even £50.00 quid a week to play. You will be of a certain standard in order to achieve even small returns for playing.

Rhodes is very good at what he does. Loitering with intent 10 yards from goal, reacting quicker than defenders and hitting the target with regularity and accuracy from chances created. Sadly however, getting him that close to goal with decent chances is not as easy as it sounds and he is therefore asked / forced to contribute to general team play to help the cause. That is where the issue lies as is he struggles with his back to goal, holding the ball up, laying it off or winning headers, running the channels effectively and when pace or skill is required to outwit defenders one on one. He is brilliant at one part of the strikers role but struggles with other facets. Does that make him crap? Nope, but lets not claim he is the finished article either and for 8 million quid many feel his all round game could be better. Including managers.

Rudy gets pretty much a free pass for his laziness, how odd.

Perhaps has something to do with the fact he cost 7.7 million less.

I dont get all the Rhodes ba$hing myself.

We should keep him, even at 12 mil. Much like the argument that Bowyer should be kept because they would cock up getting a replacement we should hold on to Rhodes. Our manager could not replace him even if he brought in 3 or 4 quality sgnings would he know what to do with them.

Selling Rhodes will be, as far as i'm concerned, letting the last true professional leave before this club goes under.

We haven't had that many top pro's at this club in recent years, I think you could argue the last one to leave was John Williams/Tom Finn?

One thing is for sure, we don't have any professionals left. Whilst we have some talented, useful players (Cairney, Marshall, Rudy etc), rest assured they will all kick up a fuss and become every single thing that you hate about modern day football the second it doesn't suit to be here anymore. We've already seen Rudy do it once.

And slowly but surely, the top players will go. The professionals that we've seen running this club, managing this club, owning this club and playing for this club will not be replaced. We may see more good players come and go, but the true idols, the relatable professional, heroes of the pitch will never return. And as we slip further down the league, the media will care less. We will become a story in one national paper, once a year.

We'll see more Chris Brown's, who are technically poor and a hero to none. These Chris Brown's won't be enough and as we continue slipping down slowly but surely, until the financial cost will become even too much of a burden for the unthinkably rich Venkys. As Venkys leave, the club will be given a new lease of life. But the reality will soon strike that actually, we have too many Chris Browns, and not enough Jordan Rhodes'. We'll continue to slip, until... poof. No more.

The fans have already started leaving. The 'care' and passion that John Williams spent so long trying to create, practically giving away season tickets at prices unheard of in the Premier League never mind League One, has begin to disappear from thousands of fans. Thousands of fans have gone and will never return. They now play Golf on a Sunday, or watch the Rugby, or watch the cricket. That is their new passion. The Blackburn End lower tier, which as I grew up you could always guarantee would be full, has huge gaps of blue seats.

And we'll all reminisce about Jordan Rhodes, the striker that did very little... apart from score. That we sold for a fortune, to give us one more season being run by chancers and no-hopers.

A valid post J*B, but Bowyer doesn't play him.

So why keep such an expensive asset on the bench? It's a waste of money and it does the player himself no good in terms of confidence.

Financially, our backs are against the wall. As far am I'm concerned, in that situation, you don't lift your gloves to your temples and take the punches.

Taking the punches however, is exactly Bowyers mentality.

We can go two ways. Take the punches, sell Rhodes, hope for the best... And in my opinion continue our free fall.

Or, start swinging. Remove Shaw and the board. Plea with the professionals to come back. Show Bowyer the door and get a proper manager into this club.

If Boro want to wax 12 million on Rhodes then let's not stop them eh? We cannot afford him on the current contract, we are nowhere near promotion, his lack of speed and strength limits our playing options and unless considering building an entire team around him to maximise chances 10 yards from goal it is very difficult slotting him into an effective playing style. I know you disagree, am not highlighting your posts, just commenting my view on this player.

There are plenty of examples of low priced forwards at this level who have scored similar maounts to Rhodes in individual seasons. They are not easy to find granted, but equally they don't cost 8 million quid and 40k per week.

I understand the argument for selling Rhodes. Personally I wouldn't want to see him go for a number of reasons.

My argument is against those who badmouth him and criticise him without a thought of what he has done for this club. Without his goals we could have been in League One. He's shown twice the commitment of Rudy and has beaten him in league goals and assists. The fact he's fourth in the assists tally for us shows he brings more to the pitch than people think.

Re your point about chances within the box... Where do most of Rudy's goals come from? For any striker our ethos should be on creating chances in the box. This is where Rhodes excels and where a striker is most likely to bring the goods. I don't want us gearing our football to hitting Rudy's/Brown's head around 40 yards from goal via hoofball like we do at the moment. It doesn't get us anywhere. Losing the lump-it football and developing a passing play that results in more chances in the box would benefit any striker. However, now GB has target men at his disposal, the football has become more long-ball and it isn't benefitting anyone (just makes a target man look more useful).

I don't think he'll be as easy to replace as you make out and I worry how we'll fare without him. It just disappoints me the way some talk about him on here considering how great he's been for us.

The problem is, who can do this jb? Bowyer can't, we can't. The board won't since they'd have to sack themselves. So who?

Mrs Desai but there seems little chance that she will remove the board or even think about changing the manager.

It needs a top down restructure but that won't happen.

The crazy thing is that IF the venky's went to John Williams and Tom Finn (both of whom still care passionately about the club) and asked them to comeback, they would do it (providing they got certain reassurances) and in one go they would not only get the club back on track but also give the fans some hope.

Archived