BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

I disagree, we keep possession, but try to get it through midfield quickly. A problem that seems to be re-occurring same as the first team, is the quality of crosses. Obviously not important enough to practice them.   

You would think McBride would make a decent target for them.

Barr probably instructed to do certain things a certain way with the youth team, so they can fit in with the first team...poor bastards.

And we all know Tony is so afraid of crosses he could be a fucking vampire.

• Like 1

Youth team are much more understanding of the 4-3-3 and they're 2nd in the table because positionally they're bang on most weeks and they do their job.

Only just watched the Everton game. I thought we were good, passed the ball well all over the pitch and have some decent players. As others have said, they play 4-3-3 far better than the 1st XI.  It probably helps having a decent winger or two. I like the look of Durrant and I thought Butterworth was excellent considering he's been out for practically 2 seasons. The only thing that will keep that lad from playing Championship football is injuries. 

The striker Barnes looks sharp, great finish for the disallowed goal. Nolan looks tidy, as does Garrett. Overall some really good young players. 

Josh Bowler was good for them. I'd never heard of him but he's 22 and cost £5m from QPR a few years ago. He's just the kind of player we lack in the 1st team. 

• Like 1

Really like Jake Garrett. Played LB, CB and defensive midfield now and he’s great. Really combative. Booked every match but he’ll learn, just like Trav

1 hour ago, hollowsr said:

Interesting considering our recent forays into signing Preston youth players.

Wonder if @Sparks Rover knows much about him?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting considering our recent forays into signing Preston youth players.

Wonder if @Sparks Rover knows much about him?

I know all about him.  He's in my contacts👍

He was the academy recruitment chap at Preston.  I've had loads of lads go to John. Might get us a bit more local coverage.

I wonder if he's bringing a couple of lads with him....😁😁

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He was the academy recruitment chap at Preston.  I've had loads of lads go to John. Might get us a bit more local coverage.

Interesting, the article says he was head coach of the YDP, rather than in charge of recruitment. I appreciate these roles can overlap though.

Do you have any more insight on him then if he's in your contacts? Knows his stuff?

It occurred to me too, that he will at least give us the scoop on Preston's best and it may be another hunting ground for us this summer.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting, the article says he was head coach of the YDP, rather than in charge of recruitment. I appreciate these roles can overlap though.

Do you have any more insight on him then if he's in your contacts? Knows his stuff?

It occurred to me too, that he will at least give us the scoop on Preston's best and it may be another hunting ground for us this summer.

Andy Livingstone is manager of the academy. John was in charge of the teenagers...11-15 something like that.

Very well connected in the North West.  Has his scouts at rep games and generally all around the county. A good coach in own right and attention to detail is high

Yes, I've always said about a young lad called Coulton.  He's one of John's,  there's a couple more.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Polish lad, 15, striker? 

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Polish lad, 15, striker? 

Yes, he will be one of Johns, he's a Preston lad

The lad has played international football since he was 13 I believe...Poland 16s or 17s. 

With the nobbers not having a 23s i wonder if a few 2nd years might float over to complete their apprenticeships

Edited by Sparks Rover

Nice to see Rovers bringing in a second staff member in that area. Shows some positive intent. Simon Cooper told us on a recent podcast that they've now finalised the scholarships for this year, but I assume this new addition can only be helpful going forward. 

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Nice to see Rovers bringing in a second staff member in that area. Shows some positive intent. Simon Cooper told us on a recent podcast that they've now finalised the scholarships for this year, but I assume this new addition can only be helpful going forward. 

Always room for a good un.

Good game again. Lenni Rae Cirino my pick of the bunch. Racked up 9 successful pass interceptions and progressed us up the pitch with some great runs through the middle of midfield.

Watched the first half, in which Rovers were the stronger team, though, from the reports, Liverpool came back into it in the second.

It's a scrappy game with not a lot of playing through the midfield and relying, more on direct balls, which seems to be our style. It seems quite effective and is not the aimless hit it to the big man (there being no big man) but trying to find Sam Burns who takes up clever positions and holds the ball up quite well for a relatively small, stocky player.

Interesting that the team seem to play 4-4-2, which will continue to make it harder for any reserve players to adapt to the mess of a formation played by the firsts. That said, it's probably for the best for their development to play in a formation rather than a playground football positional set-up.

In the first half, the players that stand out are Sam Burns - a bit of a cross between Dack and Armstrong, though, obviously, not there yet and, I think, perhaps, his shooting needs improvement. Whitehall and Garrett look impressive as a midfield duo, competing and good on the ball. However, with the ball going back to front often, they are not showing their full capability of being on the ball. Barnes in defence looks reliable.

Keeper, Stergiakis and full backs, Pike and Cirino disappointed with their distribution. Every time I see Pike, I feel that he is one of the weak links in the team, contrary to hype. He stands out due to his size and his strong challenges but time and again, he looks susceptible to quick wingers and inconsistent passing. I really don't see him making it as a right back, at the moment, but, perhaps, a centre back, with less responsibility with the ball at his feet. That said, he's still young and will develop, so, hopefully, he gets better - and, I must say, I've only seen him on a few occasions on this stream - so not qualified to make definitive judgment. Butterworth didn't get involved much in the first half but, coming back from injury, he'll need time.

The team are doing well in what looks like a poor quality league. Liverpool looked very poor in the first half, overall. I'm surprised by this but wonder if it's because their real talent are out on loan around Europe? 

I would like Rovers to make an effort to mix up the play more and utilise the abilities of Garrett and Whitehall in the middle to pass the ball around. If they want to make it at higher levels, they need to develop this ability.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Liverpool looked very poor in the first half, overall. I'm surprised by this but wonder if it's because their real talent are out on loan around Europe? 

Well one of them is in our first team! And another is at Deepdale.

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Watched the first half, in which Rovers were the stronger team, though, from the reports, Liverpool came back into it in the second.

It's a scrappy game with not a lot of playing through the midfield and relying, more on direct balls, which seems to be our style. It seems quite effective and is not the aimless hit it to the big man (there being no big man) but trying to find Sam Burns who takes up clever positions and holds the ball up quite well for a relatively small, stocky player.

Interesting that the team seem to play 4-4-2, which will continue to make it harder for any reserve players to adapt to the mess of a formation played by the firsts. That said, it's probably for the best for their development to play in a formation rather than a playground football positional set-up.

In the first half, the players that stand out are Sam Burns - a bit of a cross between Dack and Armstrong, though, obviously, not there yet and, I think, perhaps, his shooting needs improvement. Whitehall and Garrett look impressive as a midfield duo, competing and good on the ball. However, with the ball going back to front often, they are not showing their full capability of being on the ball. Barnes in defence looks reliable.

Keeper, Stergiakis and full backs, Pike and Cirino disappointed with their distribution. Every time I see Pike, I feel that he is one of the weak links in the team, contrary to hype. He stands out due to his size and his strong challenges but time and again, he looks susceptible to quick wingers and inconsistent passing. I really don't see him making it as a right back, at the moment, but, perhaps, a centre back, with less responsibility with the ball at his feet. That said, he's still young and will develop, so, hopefully, he gets better - and, I must say, I've only seen him on a few occasions on this stream - so not qualified to make definitive judgment. Butterworth didn't get involved much in the first half but, coming back from injury, he'll need time.

The team are doing well in what looks like a poor quality league. Liverpool looked very poor in the first half, overall. I'm surprised by this but wonder if it's because their real talent are out on loan around Europe? 

I would like Rovers to make an effort to mix up the play more and utilise the abilities of Garrett and Whitehall in the middle to pass the ball around. If they want to make it at higher levels, they need to develop this ability.

I'd disagree. They play quite a clear 4-3-3. Burns often drifts to the right or left to create an overload on one side in possession, but in general you'll see Whitehall, Nolan and Garrett as your midfield three. 

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Pike and Cirino are two of the best players in that team, don't know what you're watching. LRC man of the match for me!! Are you sure you're watching the right players? We can't be playing Pike, 5ft 8" at Centre-Back.

Edited by JoeH

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Pike and Cirino are two of the best players in that team, don't know what you're watching. LRC man of the match for me!! Are you sure you're watching the right players? We can't be playing Pike, 5ft 8" at Centre-Back.

Personally I don't think Cirino shines as a full back

59 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I don't think Cirino shines as a full back

managed to intercept Liverpool balls 9 times in the game, moved us forward well. I think he'll go a long way, remind me a lot of Nyambe at this age.