BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Former player Lewis Hardcastle forced to retire due to Heart problems 

Wow Chaddy. That's awful news. What a shame for the lad. I hope he can get sorted by the medics and whatever he has got can be controlled. Shame he has to give up playing football.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

All I saw was Haaland did NOT score. Annesley must’ve had a good game. 

Not sure about this lad...more crap management by Mowbray.   If he can at least turn up at this level he deserves a chance considering we have real young lads in there....more mixed up shit by the Mogadon ......we've got a whole bank of centre halves in their early 20s not even playing for us but other clubs lads are...🙄

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not sure about this lad...more crap management by Mowbray.   If he can at least turn up at this level he deserves a chance considering we have real young lads in there....more mixed up shit by the Mogadon ......we've got a whole bank of centre halves in their early 20s not even playing for us but other clubs lads are...🙄

I agree, lets see what the team performs like with our own players. They should make The Rovers an attractive proposition for young players, by letting it be shown that they will get the chance to progress here.

7 hours ago, WacoRover said:

All I saw was Haaland did NOT score. Annesley must’ve had a good game. 

He did alright, a few big clearances. Obviously given that Norway had 80% possession he couldn't do much with the ball but the fact they didn't have that many shots in the second half is testament to the defensive work of the Gib players. In all honesty it was mostly Dayle Coleing's day, even though he conceded 3 he mad 12 saves including a fair few stunners to keep out Haaland. I think all the Gib defenders put themselves in the shop window last night (except for Wiseman and Roy Chipolina who are in their mid-late 30s).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sorry mate, has nothing to do with Mowbray. Annesly is nowhere ready for Championship football. He's now established himself as a decent U23 player, but is far off the Carter, Magloire level shown at U23 football. Needs a loan to Non-league or League 2 given his age. 

Gibraltar is no yard-stick. Watched them last night, and despite their heroics, they are probably League 2 at best.

• Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

Sorry mate, has nothing to do with Mowbray. Annesly is nowhere ready for Championship football. 

Neither are HB, Branthwaite, Buckley, Bennett, Bell, Douglas, JRC.....so, nowt to lose...season is done, give him a try might just work out and give us something to build on with Wharton, Carter etc...its not going to do him any harm anyway starting a couple of games to see.. 

2 hours ago, inflikted said:

He did alright, a few big clearances. Obviously given that Norway had 80% possession he couldn't do much with the ball but the fact they didn't have that many shots in the second half is testament to the defensive work of the Gib players. In all honesty it was mostly Dayle Coleing's day, even though he conceded 3 he mad 12 saves including a fair few stunners to keep out Haaland. I think all the Gib defenders put themselves in the shop window last night (except for Wiseman and Roy Chipolina who are in their mid-late 30s).

As a Norwegian, great credits to Gibraltar for the effort. They played with big hearts and commitment. Great goalkeeper! 

Was interested to see how Annesly would cope, but hard to judge since the quality gap is so large. Gibraltar played two banks of defensive lines with an energetic striker who tried to chase the ball the few times it crossed the oppo half. 

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Neither are HB, Branthwaite, Buckley, Bennett, Bell, Douglas, JRC.....so, nowt to lose...season is done, give him a try might just work out and give us something to build on with Wharton, Carter etc...its not going to do him any harm anyway starting a couple of games to see.. 

I agree that I would like to see a few more youngster now, but there are several others with more potential. Players like Pike, Whitehall, McBride. Those three are probably those who are ready. For the rest might be more damaging throwing them in and let them sink.

Players like JRC, Buckley, HB and Brathwaite has at least proven too good for U23 level whether to you don't rate them as Championship level.

In eight games time Mowbray has some huge decisions to make as players contracts enter their last few months of their deals. For me it would be a poor decision to give the likes of Evans, Bell, Downing, Johnson and Holtby new deals given their ages and for most of them their lack of game time. Any manager worth his salt would be pushing some of the younger players into the first team, not for just a couple of games (like Magliore and Carter) but for a more extended run. I'm thinking that the likes of Whitehall and Pike look like they could step up but I don't think Mowbray is brave enough to do that (unless of course they have come on loan from PL clubs). 

Mr Average, middle of the road just doesn't seem to rate our youngsters as much as youngsters from other clubs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

**Checks Mols' Championship appearances**

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Former player Lewis Hardcastle forced to retire due to Heart problems 

16 hours ago, bazza said:

Wow Chaddy. That's awful news. What a shame for the lad. I hope he can get sorted by the medics and whatever he has got can be controlled. Shame he has to give up playing football.

Agree, sad news. But, also, glad it has been identified now and he can get treatment and move on. 

Lewis Hardcastle was part of our impressive youth team that reached the 2016 FA Youth Cup semi-final, only to be defeated by eventual winners, Chelsea. A midfield of Joe Rankin-Costello, Willem Tomlinson, Hardcastle and Pemberton scored a fair few goals. The teams for that semi-final second leg that Chelsea won 3-1 (4-1 on aggregate):

Chelsea Nathan Baxter; Josh Grant, Fikayo Tomori, Jake Clarke-Salter (c) (Joseph Colley 70), Trevoh Chalobah (Charlie Wakefield 70); Ruben Sammut, Mukhtar Ali (Isaac Christie-Davies 77); Dujon Sterling, Mason Mount, Jacob Maddox; Tammy Abraham
Unused subs Jamie Cumming, Ike Ugbo
Scorers Sterling 13; Maddox 30; Abraham 34

Blackburn Andrew Fisher, Lewis Travis, Josh Askew, Lewis Hardcastle, Matthew Platt, Scott Wharton (c), Tre Pemberton (Joel Steer 82), Joe Rankin-Costello, Lewis Mansell, Willem Tomlinson (Joe Grayson 63), Ramirez Howarth (Mason Fawns 71)
Unused subs Ben Ascroft, Tyler Magloire
Booked Hardcastle
Scorer Mansell 62
Crowd 3,702

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In eight games time Mowbray has some huge decisions to make as players contracts enter their last few months of their deals. For me it would be a poor decision to give the likes of Evans, Bell, Downing, Johnson and Holtby new deals given their ages and for most of them their lack of game time. Any manager worth his salt would be pushing some of the younger players into the first team, not for just a couple of games (like Magliore and Carter) but for a more extended run. I'm thinking that the likes of Whitehall and Pike look like they could step up but I don't think Mowbray is brave enough to do that (unless of course they have come on loan from PL clubs). 

Mr Average, middle of the road just doesn't seem to rate our youngsters as much as youngsters from other clubs.

It doesnt sit well how reliant Mowbray is on kids from other sides, but it wasnt right for either Carter or Magloire to continue. The former obviously played the last 2 games of last season and looks miles away, especially v Luton. He didnt look ready and this loan is perfect. Magloire was absolutely bullied at Hillsbrough a couple of years ago, it would have done more harm than good for both player and especially team to have left him in. Fact of the matter is that Harwood Bellis and Adarabioyo last season are both miles ahead of Carter and Magloire. I am very critical of Mowbray but I do feel like the issue over his use young players is a little overstated, Travis broke through and has been a first team regular when fit ever since, Rankin Costello plays basically every game when fit, Buckley gets a lot of game time for a player who in the main has struggled and Dolan has had much more game than expected too.

Agree with the list of players out of contract, the whole state of the squad is a huge worry and damning of the manager.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It doesnt sit well how reliant Mowbray is on kids from other sides, but it wasnt right for either Carter or Magloire to continue. The former obviously played the last 2 games of last season and looks miles away, especially v Luton. He didnt look ready and this loan is perfect. Magloire was absolutely bullied at Hillsbrough a couple of years ago, it would have done more harm than good for both player and especially team to have left him in. Fact of the matter is that Harwood Bellis and Adarabioyo last season are both miles ahead of Carter and Magloire. I am very critical of Mowbray but I do feel like the issue over his use young players is a little overstated, Travis broke through and has been a first team regular when fit ever since, Rankin Costello plays basically every game when fit, Buckley gets a lot of game time for a player who in the main has struggled and Dolan has had much more game than expected too.

Agree with the list of players out of contract, the whole state of the squad is a huge worry and damning of the manager.

How is it right to judge players after two games? Magloire was excellent in his debut against Wigan up against Garner and Powell. We won 3-0. He wasn't too good at Hillsbrough but nobody came out of that game with any credit, it was a poor team effort. Similarity Carter played in what were effectively dead rubbers. Both haven't really had a first team sniff since the. The two on loan centre backs have both had difficult games but both (until Branthwaites injury) played in the next game. In my view Mowbray holds a belief that because they are from PL clubs they are better than what we have.

Travis only got a game because of Smallwoods suspension and was outstanding.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

How is it right to judge players after two games? Magloire was excellent in his debut against Wigan up against Garner and Powell. We won 3-0. He wasn't too good at Hillsbrough but nobody came out of that game with any credit, it was a poor team effort. Similarity Carter played in what were effectively dead rubbers. Both haven't really had a first team sniff since the. The two on loan centre backs have both had difficult games but both (until Branthwaites injury) played in the next game. In my view Mowbray holds a belief that because they are from PL clubs they are better than what we have.

Travis only got a game because of Smallwoods suspension and was outstanding.

I would have to say that definitely with Harwood Bellis, he is certainly a better defender at this moment in time than either Carter or Magloire. I said in January and totally agree that signing 2 young loanees made no sense and the situation is compounded by the unreliability of the defender Mowbray signed in the summer on a long term contract, but as an individual signing, as with Adarabioyo, Harwood Bellis has been an upgrade and a decent signing.

Carter was played in the last 2 games last season to see how he did, and we conceded 3 goals in both games with Carter particularly poor against Luton and looking miles off it. I personally dont think that he should have then been played again at the start of this season, although that isnt giving up on him, the only potential difference for me would have been to loan him out at the start of the season rather than in the middle although a seemingly very successful loan spell at the level below seems to suit all parties. With Magloire, for all the hype about how he did in a friendly, the fact that he spent the first of the season in non league suggests he perhaps isnt ready, again if he impresses at a decent level for Motherwell then we can re-assess but I think both looked a bit out of place when they were tried in the first team and a loan spell will do them good. I dont think that Mowbrays defensive recruitment and set up has been anything but shoddy but I have no issue with the kids we have.

Regarding Travis, his first game was against Sheffield United WITH Smallwood and he subsequently through his performance level has been a first team regular ever since so I think forcing a narrative that Mowbray has done anything wrong there is a little unnecessary personally.

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray said he wasn't playing our young CB's because it was a 'man's position' for seasoned Pro's, or words to that effect. He then signed Branthwaite and HB.

I can never work out if he's dishonest, or just making it up as he goes along. 

We signed a man in Ayala then realised he has a worse sick record than Darren Anderton.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

With Magloire, for all the hype about how he did in a friendly, the fact that he spent the first of the season in non league suggests he perhaps isnt ready, again if he impresses at a decent level for Motherwell then we can re-assess but I think both looked a bit out of place when they were tried in the first team and a loan spell will do them good. I dont think that Mowbrays defensive recruitment and set up has been anything but shoddy but I have no issue with the kids we have. 

I agree that Mowbray's defensive recruitment since promotion has been shocking poor. You did suggest Egan in the summer when we got promoted, this is correct? Some people mention Konsa who was at Charlton as a potential signing. 

I would have Carter as part of next season squad currently. 

Maglorie is out of contract this summer so he be offer a new contract 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray said he wasn't playing our young CB's because it was a 'man's position' for seasoned Pro's, or words to that effect. He then signed Branthwaite and HB.

I can never work out if he's dishonest, or just making it up as he goes along. 

The latter

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would have to say that definitely with Harwood Bellis, he is certainly a better defender at this moment in time than either Carter or Magloire. I said in January and totally agree that signing 2 young loanees made no sense and the situation is compounded by the unreliability of the defender Mowbray signed in the summer on a long term contract, but as an individual signing, as with Adarabioyo, Harwood Bellis has been an upgrade and a decent signing.

Carter was played in the last 2 games last season to see how he did, and we conceded 3 goals in both games with Carter particularly poor against Luton and looking miles off it. I personally dont think that he should have then been played again at the start of this season, although that isnt giving up on him, the only potential difference for me would have been to loan him out at the start of the season rather than in the middle although a seemingly very successful loan spell at the level below seems to suit all parties. With Magloire, for all the hype about how he did in a friendly, the fact that he spent the first of the season in non league suggests he perhaps isnt ready, again if he impresses at a decent level for Motherwell then we can re-assess but I think both looked a bit out of place when they were tried in the first team and a loan spell will do them good. I dont think that Mowbrays defensive recruitment and set up has been anything but shoddy but I have no issue with the kids we have.

Regarding Travis, his first game was against Sheffield United WITH Smallwood and he subsequently through his performance level has been a first team regular ever since so I think forcing a narrative that Mowbray has done anything wrong there is a little unnecessary personally.

Travis did play at Sheffield with Smallwood as Evans was rested having played two days earlier at Leeds. Smallwoods sending off opened the door for Travis. Had Smallwood not been suspended I don't for one minute believe Mowbray would have picked Travis. In that match against West Brom Travis was outstanding as he was in the subsequent games. Only a few weeks earlier he couldn't even get on the bench. Mowbray got lucky there. And who can forget that Mowbray ostracised Travis after his sending off at Portsmouth.

I agree Harwood Bellis has been good but Carter is earning rave reviews in a winning team at Burton and I felt deserved a chance rather than bringing in two younger players which, as somebody pointed out contradicted what Mowbray said about centre half being a mans position.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Travis did play at Sheffield with Smallwood as Evans was rested having played two days earlier at Leeds. Smallwoods sending off opened the door for Travis. Had Smallwood not been suspended I don't for one minute believe Mowbray would have picked Travis. In that match against West Brom Travis was outstanding as he was in the subsequent games. Only a few weeks earlier he couldn't even get on the bench. Mowbray got lucky there. And who can forget that Mowbray ostracised Travis after his sending off at Portsmouth.

I agree Harwood Bellis has been good but Carter is earning rave reviews in a winning team at Burton and I felt deserved a chance rather than bringing in two younger players which, as somebody pointed out contradicted what Mowbray said about centre half being a mans position.

We will never know what happened had certain other scenarios played out and it is totally unfair to criticise and berate the manager for them especially when he makes so many decisions anyway that make very little sense. Travis played well, I expected/feared that Smallwood would instantly regain his place upon his return from suspension but Mowbray stuck with Travis from there on in.

Would also personally suggest that Carter didnt look ready and I feel the loan move to Burton in isolation has been correct. I do appreciate the hypocrisy of what he said about young boys and I would say that signing 2 kids made little sense, one of whom has been good and the other desperately poor.

• Like 1

I don't think many thought Carter nor Magloire were the answer in January. Bringing in the probably two biggest prospect from PL at the time made sense. Think it was a very good move for Carter to get regular playing time and will return a much better player, similar to Wharton. I have no problem with that decision.

If you want to criticize, it would be playing Douglas on right back instead of Pike who has been the standout player in the U23 and deserves his chance. 

The underlying problem is going into a season with Lenihan, who is injury prone but we have been lucky with, Williams who has never been reliable nor particularly good and had attracted interest in the summer, Wharton and of course the massively injury prone Ayala. Carter and Magloire playing at a lower level elsewhere is not the issue.