BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There is far too much emphasis on pace in the modern game. Being quick is undoubtedly an asset but all the best players I have seen have an uncanny knack of being in the right places despite not having great pace. Probably the best example of this, Bobby Moore once said that the first few yards were in your head. Maybe it's more of a natural trait rather than being coached but I agree entirely with your assertion.

Speed of thought and mind will out pace a quick player everytime. Tugay springs instantly to mind as well as the best player I have ever seen, the French Tim Sherwood, Zinedine Zidane.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He was brilliant at giving himself a yard or two and getting a run on the defender. A 5'10" striker gives himself a good chance against a 6'+ defender if he buys himself that space. Jansen and Speedie were also terrific in this regard. Fabulous readers of the game who saw the whole picture. Its what separates the top, top players from the also-rans.

Jansen could hover

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Could anyone else give less of a shit that Ayala is playing for the 23s.

I initially thought he would be a class signing.

However he's been injured most the time and his performances were quite frankly embarrassing.

I don't even see the point. At best he might be rushed into one first team game that doesn't matter in the slightest.

Why let him stand in the way of one of our young players, either/both at u23 or first team level? Why risk him getting his injury again? Just try to get him fit for next season because that in itself appears to be a Herculean task.

• Like 1

Ffs I despair of this manager, I really do.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19269973.mowbray-explains-decision-not-field-rovers-u23-prospects/

Just. Fucking. Play some of them. Regardless of what you, Mowbray, tactical monolith, think you know about them, the experience of a first team game will be invaluable in their development. Meanwhile half the players you are going to field will be OFF. Like you should be. 

• Like 7

To be fair to Mowbray, I think he's doing the right thing not playing a full team of youngsters against Rotherham, in regards to the integrity of the league.

Ironic isn't it though, that Huddersfield are ones who should benefit, after many Rovers fans felt let down by their weakened team against Birmingham back in 2017.

The home game against Blues should be a chance to say farewell to some long servants (Bennett, Evans, Johnson, Downing etc) whilst also maybe blooding a couple of deserving youngsters (Pike, McBride, Butterworth etc)

Edited by rog of the rovers

4 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

To be fair to Mowbray, I think he's doing the right thing not playing a full team of youngsters against Rotherham, in regards to the integrity of the league.

Ironic isn't it though, that Huddersfield are ones who should benefit, after many Rovers fans felt let down by their weakened team against Birmingham back in 2017.

The home game against Blues should be a chance to say farewell to some long servants (Bennett, Evans, Johnson, Downing etc) whilst also maybe blooding a couple of deserving youngsters (Pike, McBride, Butterworth etc)

Nobody but nobody is suggesting a full team of youngsters though. It's his reticence to try any of them that is galling.

The u23s are 2nd in the top u23 league in this country, and none of them are going to be given a chance in a couple of dead rubbers when half our squad is due to leave in the summer? Sorry but that's bullshit.

1 or 2 should be given a start, with another 1 or 2 on the bench. For this game. With similar or more for the last game. No damage to integrity.

Not only does it develop the players and let us get a REAL look at them at the level we need them for, not just in training or against other kids, but it builds their profile. I suspect Carter wouldn't have been straight into Burton's first team without those couple of appearances he made for our first team.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Could anyone else give less of a shit that Ayala is playing for the 23s.

I initially thought he would be a class signing.

However he's been injured most the time and his performances were quite frankly embarrassing.

The overall situation has been a huge disappointment, a 3 year deal for someone so fragile, and even when Ayala played, I dont think he necessarily pulled up any trees, but "quite frankly embarrassing?" He wasnt that bad.

12 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I think the key would be to do it constructively, thinking forward whilst not noticeably weakening the team.

For example, Davenport in my opinion should have played the last few games as the holding midfielder, because for me a decision should have already been made to let Johnson, Holtby, Evans and Trybull go, we will need at least one new defensive midfielder which is doable with those 3 off the wage bill, but give Davenport (although he is another Ayala) a chance to prove that he can play a considerable part as an option there next season. Evans (out of position) and Holtby have played in recent games, surely Buckley could have played with Rothwell and Davenport.

I am not sure that there is much need for send offs either, mainly because there are no fans. Johnson has had 2 years of mediocrity and Downing one good year and has been invisible this year. The other 2 are longer term servants but im not sure many will care if they are not here next year.

I dont necessarily think we should mass include loads of under 23s, only if any are standing out, if Pike is for example, he should have played over Bennett.

There a couple of positions where we need to play players that wont be here next season, if either left back is here next season then its a joke, and Harwood Bellis is here too. 

1 hour ago, Meesh said:

Regarding Joe Grayson, I quite liked him in the two or three times I saw him in Rovers colours at centre-back. He seems calm and composed on the ball, and mature beyond his years. Having said that, he's only made 12 appearances out on loan at League One and League Two clubs in recent seasons (and I believe he was playing as a left wing-back of sorts at Grimsby). Is that because of his injuries? Or is he not up to standard? He's still young at 22, but if he's worth anything to Rovers, I'd expect him to be breaking into the first team squad this coming season.

Seems to be a similar story for Tyler Magloire. I know he's had his injuries, and although it feels like he's been out on loan forever, he's made just 19 appearances in that time. I wasn't massively impressed with him in the few times that I saw him play for us, although that was a couple of years ago. Maybe he's matured since then, but at 22 (turning 23 in December), I'd expect him to breaking into our first team squad next season if he's going to be of any use to Rovers.

Louie Annesley is about to turn 21, seems to have been here for years, and yet I've never seen him play nor know anything about him other than he's a senior international for Gibraltar. Can anybody here comment on what they think his prospects are?

Other than that, Wharton (a bit older) proved that he can be a good defender at this level. I thought he was going to leave at one stage, but I think he's going to be an important player for us based on what we've seen from him. I'd argue he should be partnering Lenihan at the back as our first choice pairing.

I don't rate Annesleys chances of making our first team. To me he seems physically weak.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Ffs I despair of this manager, I really do.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19269973.mowbray-explains-decision-not-field-rovers-u23-prospects/

Just. Fucking. Play some of them. Regardless of what you, Mowbray, tactical monolith, think you know about them, the experience of a first team game will be invaluable in their development. Meanwhile half the players you are going to field will be OFF. Like you should be. 

TM couldn't develop a tan on holiday in Egypt, the guys the biggest twat we've ever had managing us.

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 hours ago, JohnGo said:

As was Wharton at the same age. I suppose you were out muscling men when you were 15

Annesley is 6ft+ and 20 years old, he SHIULD be outmuscling players.

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

As was Wharton, it takes time to develop. You obviously haven’t.

I haven't what? You said something about outmuscling men when 15 (Probably only Ronney ever did that), but Annesley is 20 and therefore a man.

Just an odd way to phrase it imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnGo said:

As was Wharton at the same age. I suppose you were out muscling men when you were 15

I didn't realise Annesley is only 15. I did actually play in the same team at 15, with someone who could out-muscle men. He went on to play for the 70s Leeds team, but sadly got injured.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

So, Mike has had to clean up this thread a fair bit, because of some silly bickering that we don’t need to see on here.

To clarify some points- please can we not try to provoke people in posts and just stick to the subject matter? If you are that concerned about what a poster thinks on a particular matter, drop them a message...

Also- if there are any queries about what is acceptable, can we use the ‘ask admin’ section, or just message a mod. Taking threads off topic by talking about a poster rather than the subject matter isn’t helpful and doesn’t really offer anything. 

Please use the report function or just message a mod if there’s an issue. 
We get emails if you report or message us, whereas if threads go off topic and there’s a lot of bickering, it’s a lot more work for us to tidy things up and there could be multiple sin bins issued. This is something none of us want!

TLDR- if you’ve a problem- use ask admin or message a mod or report a post.

Don’t bicker with each other, taking things off topic then complain when you end up in the sin bin.

Thanks.

• Like 5

Steve Waggott confirms significant long term, 4/5-year contract has been tabled to one of our young U18 players. We're fighting to keep Top 6 clubs away from him. Don't know the name of the player in question, wouldn't confirm.

50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Steve Waggott confirms significant long term, 4/5-year contract has been tabled to one of our young U18 players. We're fighting to keep Top 6 clubs away from him. Don't know the name of the player in question, wouldn't confirm.

I'm pretty sure it's the U16 lad Iam McFigma, apparently he glides through defences unseen.....

• Like 1