BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer Most Likely Not Sacked

Why? Are folk not entitled to a different view from yourself? Clearly you seem to have difficulty with dealing with views other than your own. Fair enough that's your problem not mine.

how can it be a view when the evidence is right there for us all to see. You're a lone voice now Parson. Now just what is your agenda?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair questions Mattyblue. However, I don't believe that you can answer the question without mentioning the dreaded "stability" word.

One of the issues that Bowyer has been faced with is trying to get the wage bill under control and offload a number of high earners. This he has done and at the same time lowered the average age of the players who are being brought into the club. In the immediate aftermath of the Kean-Black-Berg-Appleton-Shebby circus a period of stability - I know it's not a popular word - was required and he has delivered that. He has brought in players on the cheap and been able to sell them for sizeable profits - a skill that every successful manager at Ewood Park has possessed since the days of Johnny Carey's first spell at the club in the fifties. Whilst that may be of little comfort for supporters it is vital for the survival of clubs like the Rovers particularly when FFP means clubs have to try to become self sufficient

On the playing side I believe that he has looked beyond the first team and has tried to set up a fast track process by which younger players are pushed through earlier before being farmed out on loan to gain experience of the League at a lower level. In the long run one would hope that this would allow us to develop more of our own players.

Over the past two seasons we have achieved what I expected with our squad - a top half finish. This season I fully expect us to finish just below the half-way mark - between 12th and 15th - due to the restrictions that the embargo has placed upon us. Indeed, until it is lifted I don't believe we can challenge the top clubs in this League. To be honest, I believe that whoever the manager might be we are destined for a few more years outside of the Premier League.

I have always said that unless there is the imminent threat of relegation that a manager - any manager - should be given time. If we are threated with that in three months or four months time then clearly to need for change would be impossible to argue against. However, personally, I don't believe we are at that point just yet. The present team is fairly new - six players involved yesterday only arrived a matter of weeks or - in the case of Lawrence - days ago. It takes time to get the right blend. The days of Jack Walker, the Trust and Premier League glory are, sadly, long gone and the new reality is that we are just one of many Championship club who, if they have a good season could challenge for promotion, and if they have a bad one could be fighting the drop.

I accept that my views are not welcome within the confines of this forum but at the end of the day we are all entitled to have our own opinions - after all football is a game of opinions.

Forget about the Prem and promotion, I think most have realised this so that line doesn't need to keep being trotted out. What we now need to remain as is competitive at this level but the signs are we might not even do that. We should still be able to fairly comfortably with what we still have. 3 or 4 more games and things have to change if we are still struggling. 3 or 4 months will be far too late, someone of your football watching experience should know this really.

A fire fighter type. Sam did it for us last time. Then Madame decided we needed a young dynamic manager and look what we ended up with.

Who'd of thought 5 years ago we'd be talking about Warnock, Megson or Gregory for Rovers.

I'll AMEND THAT - Anderson wanted a young dynamic manager, instead we got coco.

I have always said that unless there is the imminent threat of relegation that a manager - any manager - should be given time. If we are threated with that in three months or four months time then clearly to need for change would be impossible to argue against. However, personally, I don't believe we are at that point just yet. The present team is fairly new - six players involved yesterday only arrived a matter of weeks or - in the case of Lawrence - days ago. It takes time to get the right blend. The days of Jack Walker, the Trust and Premier League glory are, sadly, long gone and the new reality is that we are just one of many Championship club who, if they have a good season could challenge for promotion, and if they have a bad one could be fighting the drop.

I accept that my views are not welcome within the confines of this forum but at the end of the day we are all entitled to have our own opinions - after all football is a game of opinions.

You champion the need for a manager to have time unless we are within imminent threat of relegation but that leaves no time for the man that will replace him to rescue the situation himself, making a change when the situation is beyond repair is a pointless exercise. The team does have a few new faces around the place but that's the same situation at every club so the excuse runs thin as far as im concerned.

While I disagree with certain elements of your post the views expressed within are welcomed by me even if I see things differently.

how can it be a view when the evidence is right there for us all to see. You're a lone voice now Parson. Now just what is your agenda?

It's a balanced, well thought out view. As are some for Bowyer going. Some peoples on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair questions Mattyblue. However, I don't believe that you can answer the question without mentioning the dreaded "stability" word.

One of the issues that Bowyer has been faced with is trying to get the wage bill under control and offload a number of high earners. This he has done and at the same time lowered the average age of the players who are being brought into the club. In the immediate aftermath of the Kean-Black-Berg-Appleton-Shebby circus a period of stability - I know it's not a popular word - was required and he has delivered that. He has brought in players on the cheap and been able to sell them for sizeable profits - a skill that every successful manager at Ewood Park has possessed since the days of Johnny Carey's first spell at the club in the fifties. Whilst that may be of little comfort for supporters it is vital for the survival of clubs like the Rovers particularly when FFP means clubs have to try to become self sufficient

On the playing side I believe that he has looked beyond the first team and has tried to set up a fast track process by which younger players are pushed through earlier before being farmed out on loan to gain experience of the League at a lower level. In the long run one would hope that this would allow us to develop more of our own players.

Over the past two seasons we have achieved what I expected with our squad - a top half finish. This season I fully expect us to finish just below the half-way mark - between 12th and 15th - due to the restrictions that the embargo has placed upon us. Indeed, until it is lifted I don't believe we can challenge the top clubs in this League. To be honest, I believe that whoever the manager might be we are destined for a few more years outside of the Premier League.

It's not that your views aren't welcome, Parson. Your views are considered and polite, it's just that they seem to reflect what you want to be the reality rather than what has actually been evident. Much like Bowyer's predilection for losing to an opposition team on paper rather than the one we have just faced.

There are some points you've made that I must take issue with:

Stability

Bowyer has absolutely not delivered stability. He has been around to benefit from the stability created when Agnew and Singh left, leaving only one voice in the boardroom. Granted, he is a calm individual but the impression is that he is too calm, so sobering in interviews as not to be able to inspire or to motivate. There have been many occasions under Bowyer where the players have looked disorganised and unmotivated.

Pushes through youngsters

He has done the opposite of this. He has not pushed through the academy lads, he has actually avoided playing them. At the end of last season he had an opportunity to blood done youngsters with no pressure and didn't take it. He has let promising youngsters leave and brought in other people's cast offs.

Top half finish

He had the tools to reach the play-offs. Regardless of the way people would like to spin the previous regime or problems. He could and should have made top 6, minimum. It's been three years since 'the troubles'. How long is this going to remain an excuse for failure? Other clubs change the manager and move on. For some reason Rovers shouldn't do this but have to give their manager unlimited time and players.

Forget about the Prem and promotion, I think most have realised this so that line doesn't need to keep being trotted out. What we now need to remain as is competitive at this level but the signs are we might not even do that. We should still be able to fairly comfortably with what we still have. 3 or 4 more games and things have to change if we are still struggling. 3 or 4 months will be far too late, someone of your football watching experience should know this really.

If we are not adrift of other clubs - as Blackpool last season - then November would be the time for me to assess if there was a real threat of relegation or not. You usually need the first dozen games to assess where your season is heading although that's not always a reliable guide - I seem to remember being near the bottom at Christmas under Kendall and ending up being promoted by May. I believe we are a lower mid-table side at the moment and I suspect there will be times when we are in and around the relegation places but I believe the present squad is good enough to be competitive in this League. If there was any sign of being cut adrift then I agree a change would need to be made.

Speaks volumes .. Anyone happy with mid table mediocrity is a born loser .

The age of the team is irrelevant when they are representing our 1st team , that's down to bowyer not bringing experience in .

It's not about your views not being welcome it's about blindly following and blindly supporting what is happening regardless .

You say it takes time and players only coming in this week , again that's down to bowyer , it was common knowledge what has / is happening and should have been dealt with earlier . Stop making excuses for your pal .

Surely that is the job of shelfy shaw. And remind me of the players he has sold for big profits, only Gestede I think

He should have concentrated on the first team then, why have other coaches if he's doing it.

Embargo again, he knew that was coming sorry poor excuse.

Three or four months could be fatal, we have very rich owners, I imagine had we have gone up they would have splashed the cash.

And you will probably not accept my replies/opinions, but hey ho with Mr Bowyer you trust, onwards to the lower leagues.

Had a funny dream last night. At long last someone was held accountable for two years of mediocrity and underachievement at our football club, whilst personally earning an absolute fortune, whilst signing 30+ donkeys and 6 players, whilst waxing another 40 million plus of vital club monies, whilst failing to achieve even relatively basic targets, whilst alienating our players and fan base, whilst taking us back into the relegation zone, whilst conceeding to all and sundry, whilst exiting the Cup shamefully yet again and never being in the lead at anytime against anyone we play.

Them I woke up and remembered this is my club I'm dreaming about and underachievement is not only acceptable but often very highly rewarded.

Supporting the club through thick and thin just as I've done for the past fifty odd years. Sorry if you have a different agenda.

Amazing how many people on twitter last night (non-Rovers fans), jumped to Bowyers defence for doing a great job when having to sell players and not being able to bring anyone else in. None seemed to realise this only applied since January, and that he had been given a relatively free reign prior to this. Also that, as Rovers fans, we witness the negative tactics, negative formations, favouritism and lack of tactical nous on a weekly basis. They just see a league table.

Its happening again on here. Forget promotion.

We never got anywhere near being in the top 6 with the most productive strike duo in the league for 1.5 seasons. With one of them gone, we now lie in the bottom 3.

People like Parsonsblue can chuck out buzz words like stability, FFP etc. but the previous statement is factual.

You can scaremonger all you want about who Venkys will bring in to replace Bowyer. I believe,if we don't do it, we will end up relegated. Probably not this season, but nailed on next season. Address the slide now.

I think as a football team you should always strive to achieve the most you can and if that means making changes to try and advance the club forward then you should. Now those changes might pay off they might not, but sometimes standing still and accepting mediocrity can just be as dangerous.

This is why in my opinion Bowyer has to go, I can't envisage any scenario where he would get this club either making a serious push for promotion or actually achieving it. The transfer embargo doesn't help but without it and with more finances available to spend on players I still wouldn't trust Bowyer to make this team competitive enough for a promotion push. His tactical acumen hasn't improved one iota since he took over, something you would have expected with more experience.

I hope he goes sooner rather than later.

If we are not adrift of other clubs - as Blackpool last season - then November would be the time for me to assess if there was a real threat of relegation or not. You usually need the first dozen games to assess where your season is heading although that's not always a reliable guide - I seem to remember being near the bottom at Christmas under Kendall and ending up being promoted by May. I believe we are a lower mid-table side at the moment and I suspect there will be times when we are in and around the relegation places but I believe the present squad is good enough to be competitive in this League. If there was any sign of being cut adrift then I agree a change would need to be made.

So we wait till we are cut adrift (i don't see how we can judge that we are about to be cut adrift) and then sack him?

IT S TOO LATE!! You can't really believe this. Ypu just want to hang on to him at all costs.

Supporting the club through thick and thin just as I've done for the past fifty odd years. Sorry if you have a different agenda.

Doesn't "supporting the club through thick and thin" mean wanting the best for the club?

If you think that's Bowyer, then you're seriously deluded.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

Just because the current situation is precarious doesn't mean to say you have to put up with it.

20 years ago Rovers were a top flight buying club.

10 years ago Rovers were a top flight selling club.

Now Rovers are a 2nd div selling club, back to where they were 30 years ago and as far as I can see the club is still in freefall.

So we wait till we are cut adrift (i don't see how we can judge that we are about to be cut adrift) and then sack him?

IT S TOO LATE!! You can't really believe this. Ypu just want to hang on to him at all costs.

Two years in and it's not possible to make a judgement on a manager? Of course it is.

Archived