BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Reading Sun 20Th Dec

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really is time sole of the strikers stand up and be counted, I like Koita but sounds like he missed two sitters today and Rhodes sounds like he had a chance but just doesn't seem that interested.

I'm much happier than I was a few weeks ago as this season was over before Lambert arrived; time to rebuild this year and work out what suits us as a team.

There's a decent spine forming but up top it needs work

I did notice that most of Reading's efforts at goal were from outside the box, so the defence definitely seems to have improved.

We have to remember that Lambert has probably written off this season and will use it to build his own tram across transfer windows.

To get a quick burst of points like we have is good going. I feel we will mirror the Souness promotion story.

Possibly even with Lenihan, Mahoney, Tomlinson aiding the climb next season.

I very much hope he hadn't when he arrived and hope he still hasn't.

Only needs two or three back to back wins over the festive period and we're back in the mix.

That's not to say a big improvement on the last couple of performances isn't needed...........

I did notice that most of Reading's efforts at goal were from outside the box, so the defence definitely seems to have improved.

The defence did reasonably well today but Akpan and Guthrie had shockers. I lost count of the number of times that their centre mids had the freedom of the Madejski to move forward and have a pop at goal. Reading will feel very vindicated in letting the pair of them go on today's performance.

• Backroom

In January there probably isn't a single player I wouldn't sell it a decent offer came in and we could use the cash; sad indication of where we are at the moment.

We need a king or a hoilett, someone who may frustrate as much as excite but can pick up a ball and run at the full back, wonder if Barrow would be available again?

• Backroom

The defence did reasonably well today but Akpan and Guthrie had shockers. I lost count of the number of times that their centre mids had the freedom of the Madejski to move forward and have a pop at goal. Reading will feel very vindicated in letting the pair of them go on today's performance.

Akpan is limited but can do a job, not convinced by Guthrie at all. Living off past glories and injury prone. Conway and Akpan are probably the only two midfielders I'd be interested in keeping, the rest are disposable and need to be improved upon. Not an easy task.

Really is time sole of the strikers stand up and be counted, I like Koita but sounds like he missed two sitters today and Rhodes sounds like he had a chance but just doesn't seem that interested.

I'm much happier than I was a few weeks ago as this season was over before Lambert arrived; time to rebuild this year and work out what suits us as a team.

There's a decent spine forming but up top it needs work

Same problem we've had for three and a half seasons Tom. Apart from Rhodes no-one else is scoring. Now he's hit a lean spell ........

Wasn't there today but I'm guessing we didn't create any chances. I'd say the problem is at least as much to do with to do with the lack of creativity from midfield as it is with the strikers per se.

Yeah our midfield definitely needs a couple of quality additions, pity Tomlinson isn't a couple of years older, hearing very good reports about him.

I'm hoping Lambert has already worked out that this squad needs a massive clear out - and also realises that the way its set up is totally wrong. If PL is up to it, some of the players should be very worried. There's a lot of work to do. There are a lot of very overrated players turning out in the blue and white halves.

Same problem we've had for three and a half seasons Tom. Apart from Rhodes no-one else is scoring. Now he's hit a lean spell ........

Wasn't there today but I'm guessing we didn't create any chances. I'd say the problem is at least as much to do with to do with the lack of creativity from midfield as it is with the strikers per se.

We didn't. One right at the death but as I say, it fell to the wrong man in Koita. That chance only came around because of some more hit and hope from our defenders. The lack of chances that we're (not) creating in open play is very, very worrying IMO.

In January there probably isn't a single player I wouldn't sell it a decent offer came in and we could use the cash; sad indication of where we are at the moment.

We need a king or a hoilett, someone who may frustrate as much as excite but can pick up a ball and run at the full back, wonder if Barrow would be available again?

King got injured in the warm up yesterday apparently, words can't begin to describe what a waste of space that lad is.

As regards the first part of your post, I said after last season, "Keep Rhodes and Gestede and sell the rest". I'd still be of roughly the same view, although it'd be "Keep Rhodes and I don't think there'd be much point in selling Hanley or Duffy" I also quite like Akpan. Wouldn't be too disappointed to see anyone else leave.

We need to get away from this idea, that providing a striker who has so little ability with his 20 goals a season is the way to promotion Rev. It hasn't been so far and it won't be in the future.

• Backroom

It must be soul destroying as a fan to watch the likes of Conway coming off to be replaced by Brown, or Williamson coming on at all. You know then that the game is up.

I hope Lambert is doing it to make a point to the owners - look what we've got, nowhere near good enough, help me out here.

We need to get away from this idea, that providing a striker who has so little ability with his 20 goals a season is the way to promotion Rev. It hasn't been so far and it won't be in the future.

Without wanting to get fully into the Rhodes debate again, neither is having a crap midfield. Den. We also need to get away from this idea that having a guy up front that can hold the ball up a bit better is somehow miraculously going to turn poor players into good ones

Koita's awful - if he scores more than 30 goals in his entire career I'll eat my hat. The miss against Forest was inexcusable and he was just as bad today. Our league position is a fair reflection of our ability, and as the squad stands that is about where we will finish in May. I hope Lambert is sitting down with the board this week and telling them the players he wants - and those he wants to get rid of. The squad needs a big overhaul. If Lambert can bring in better players who will improve the team instantly (not players for the future) then there's still an outside chance we can put in a promotion push.

Archived