SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cardiff City (A) Match Thread - 2Nd January 2016

Ricky

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I doubt we'll be able to offload any of our deadwood in January.

That said, Lambert is fortunate that a lot of players are out of contract this summer:

Delfouneso, Kilgallon, Olsson, Spurr, Williamson, Taylor, Brown, Eastwood, Petshi

What a list. At least 6 of those players shouldn't have a contract with the club to begin with.

Wow,that's nine players nearly a full team. Out of that list I only think Taylor is decent and Eastwood no significantly worse or better than the other 2 keepers.

We could do with shifting some deadwood in January if we can. Off the top of my head Guthrie, Petschi, Williamson, Brown, Delfouneso and Koita are contributing next to nothing.

Olsson is the only one I'd keep, and he's hardly been pulling up any trees lately.

Taylor is a good pro but he's knocking on 30 this year and we've already too many "steady Eddie" types.

Everyone else is easily replaceable. We need a clean sweep from top to bottom.

Prior to today's game, Ian Holloway in his FL predictions on the SSN app said this: "The squad at Blackburn is stale - like a stagnant pond. Paul Lambert needs to put the motor boat in there and stir it all up in January. Too many of those players have been there too long and won't be of the quality that Lambert is used to. One or two new faces might be enough to get everyone going again."

The performance today certainly reinforces his views.

I think we need more than one or two faces to be honest. A few new ones need to appear, and a few old ones need to disappear.

I agree. I think we could move on half the squad, play the youth and be no worse off. That's how little confidence I have in some of them after the last three games. Hope we can make some astute signings and get rid of a few of them useless chancers.

Prior to today's game, Ian Holloway in his FL predictions on the SSN app said this: "The squad at Blackburn is stale - like a stagnant pond. Paul Lambert needs to put the motor boat in there and stir it all up in January. Too many of those players have been there too long and won't be of the quality that Lambert is used to. One or two new faces might be enough to get everyone going again."

The performance today certainly reinforces his views.

The last 2 or 3 times that Ive seen Holloway, he speaks very highly of us and in my opinion, would love the Rovers job. I thin he's spot on this time. We need a big shake up and i think we need to replace one of the bigger (in my opinion) players in the dressing room with someone new. My ideal candidate would be Marshall. He's been decent in patches, but he has no threat to his position, despite the likes of Mahoney itching for a crack at it. Get rid of someone like him for someone new and it may be a kick up the arse for the rest of the squad that have got comfortable over the last 2 or 3 years.

Lamby's half time team talk:

I like the fact you'd need to bring your dinner to a fight :rock:

I don't think he lasted long after that. Probably showing off for the camera. Some managers don't do the fear factor well.

Looks like our cowardly lot are missing the easy life. I hope the cheeky buggers aren't trying some player power rubbish.

I agree. I think we could move on half the squad, play the youth and be no worse off. That's how little confidence I have in some of them after the last three games. Hope we can make some astute signings and get rid of a few of them useless chancers.

I wouldn't be upset if the likes of Mahoney, Tomlinson, Lenihan and Nyambe get a run of games ahead of the likes of Marshall, Guthrie, Akpan and Henley. You never know, one or 2 may come good. Didn't do us any harm with Dunn, Duff and Jansen. (That's not to say any of them are that standard, but we will never know if they don't get games.)

To be honest, we've only lost by the odd goal in the last three games. If the players had really thrown in the towel, we would've been on the end of a spanking by now. Think the 3-0 defeat to Wigan under Ince.

Only Hanley in my opinion can hold his head up after another turgid performance. On the evidence of the last three games I seriously would not be averse to any player being sold this month. The squad is littered with League One and Two players and any manager would struggle to get a consistent tune out of them. I really hope Lambert plays a few younger players soon as they surely can't be as bad as some of the 'established' players who are stealing a living at the moment.

I have said before that we need wholesale changes to the squad and anybody who has seen the last three games surely couldn't disagree.

How did Lenihan play? Can you see him playing in centre mid in future games?

Just finished watching the darts and had a nosey on a Cardiff forum, apparently our fans booed conway when he was the only player to go over and applaud at the end of the match, shocking if true. Only player who gives his all every week!! Hope it's not true, on the game today it sounded even worse than Bolton last week which was hard to top, praying for a couple of decent loans in this window crying out for a centre mid, striker and right back.

Have to agree with this statement from Martin

"Cardiff did not look good today, but we looked far worse. I'd suggest they didn't get out of third gear to beat us today."

I sat there thinking exactly that.

I've nothing but admiration for the travelling fans, but what did you expect?

Lambert has managed to get the new manager reaction and put a few points on the board, but that's as far as it goes. He's got a major rebuilding job on his hands and to expect anything from the current bunch is like expecting an away win at a top 6 club under Allardyce, pure fantasy!

Now then should we go to Newport or not......

I can't think of a time when I truly haven't cared if a single Rovers player left or stayed. I am optimistic and excited for the future, the team needs gutting. Someone referred to the majority of them as yellow bellies - I couldn't agree more.

Hanley, Olsson, Conway and Rhodes apart (Possibly Evans), I wouldn't think that there are any others with the fight and stomach for a promotion push.

I agree with a lot of what's been said on here about clearing the rubbish out. However, from what I've seen (as a season ticket holder), Delfounso deserves a run in the team. He's no worse than Koita that's for sure, and at least tries to link-up with Rhodes when he's playing.

On another note, I'm wondering if Lambert's regretting taking the job. My guess is that he thought he was walking into an under performing squad, especially with comments about how it had to be the right job. However, this transfer window is probably the most important in the club's history. If Lambert gets it wrong, I've absolutely no doubt we'll be fighting for survival come the end of the season!

I agree with a lot of what's been said on here about clearing the rubbish out. However, from what I've seen (as a season ticket holder), Delfounso deserves a run in the team. He's no worse than Koita that's for sure, and at least tries to link-up with Rhodes when he's playing.

On another note, I'm wondering if Lambert's regretting taking the job. My guess is that he thought he was walking into an under performing squad, especially with comments about how it had to be the right job. However, this transfer window is probably the most important in the club's history. If Lambert gets it wrong, I've absolutely no doubt we'll be fighting for survival come the end of the season!

Agree about Delfounso being a better bet than Koita, and with your assessment of Lamberts probable miscalculation of how good our squad was as well! Good post SR.

Koita has to be one of the worst players I've seen in the shirt. Really poor.

I agree on giving Delf a run if it's between him and Koita, but neither should be anywhere near the squad.

Usually when a new manager arrives, a number of players respond due to different man-management, tactics, or personal motivation.

I cannot work out why this has so clearly failed to happen and why there isn't even the slightest spark of improvement from any player or the team as a whole.

There are so many excuses being made on here for our decline in performance since PL's arrival.

He cannot replace all of them so he will have to motivate most of the current squad to improve.

Why do some of us feel he can wait until January/February to do this?

If we do manage to improve, it will be with 12 of the current 16 regular starters so either 90% of the comments (re. current players) above are wrong, or we will continue the slide.

Happy days.....

Our issue now is we have one season of parachute payments left. When those are gone we will have a mediocre squad at best unless we win promotion next year. If FPP us indeed lifted in January, the next 18 months are probably the most important 18 months in the history of the club. Getting this window wrong could prove disastrous, so PL better know what he's doing.

Just an aside but isn't this season the last one for the parachute payments? I think the payments last for four years?

Relegation in 2012 would mean payments in the following seasons - 12/13, 13/14, 14/15 and 15/16.

As for the rest of it. It must be 18 months at least since I first began to feel the whole squad is very poor. I'm delighted Lambert was appointed but do feel there was the usual outbreak of unfounded optimism in the weeks which followed.

It has to be a big concern that few, if any, of the players have reacted to PL's arrival but as we have so little understanding of what happens internally it's difficult to reach a firm conclusion. My view is many don't like the changes, know their time is up and have reacted accordingly. If you know you're finished its hardly a huge motivation to put in the extra 20% that's needed

Lambert's remarks on the Rovers site are a worry but the comments to the BBC seem more honest and realistic.

We can begin to form an opinion at the end of January when the signings, which must be about the long term, will indicate were we are headed.

Just an aside but isn't this season the last one for the parachute payments? I think the payments last for four years?

Relegation in 2012 would mean payments in the following seasons - 12/13, 13/14, 14/15 and 15/16.

As for the rest of it. It must be 18 months at least since I first began to feel the whole squad is very poor. I'm delighted Lambert was appointed but do feel there was the usual outbreak of unfounded optimism in the weeks which followed.

It has to be a big concern that few, if any, of the players have reacted to PL's arrival but as we have so little understanding of what happens internally it's difficult to reach a firm conclusion. My view is many don't like the changes, know their time is up and have reacted accordingly. If you know you're finished its hardly a huge motivation to put in the extra 20% that's needed

Lambert's remarks on the Rovers site are a worry but the comments to the BBC seem more honest and realistic.

We can begin to form an opinion at the end of January when the signings, which must be about the long term, will indicate were we are headed.

I agree with most of that but the signings must have an impact now. The long term will have to take care of itself. . We need to be playing in this league next season.

All heartedly agree but correct me if I'm wrong didn't PL alienate the senior players at villa and if Nixon is correct Danny Graham a target as a replacement for Rhodes that doesn't bode well before anyone shoots Nixon down don't forget he's close to PL

How did Lenihan play? Can you see him playing in centre mid in future games?

He was certainly no worse than any of our other midfielders in the last three games. The game was poor ans it would have been difficult for any player to shine. Hopefully he might get a game at Newport. I will be disappointed if some of the poor performances of recent weeks are rewarded with a starting place.

Archived