BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] End Of Season Post Mortem = Abject Failure?

Well fellow Roverites, the seasons end is upon us.

As we reach the final game we see Leicester City complete a footballing miracle that mirrors our own dreams back in 1995. For them it’s the season in a lifetime and one that they can be extremely proud of and one that is never going to be repeated.

In our own league, we have our nearest and dearest sitting proudly at the tip of the tree, promotion secured and a win gives them the Championship.

In stark contrast to the success of Burnley we take stock in envy and look at just how it has gone so wrong for us at BRFC. It has to be one of the worst seasons ever in living memory.

We began with positivity emanating from the Rovers camp. Bowyer and Shaw in full flow, a plan to achieve the ultimate goal, a financial plan to stem the flow of cash going out of the club, a plan to use our gems, current staff and experience to get the club up the top of the table and fight for promotion and a plan to finally get this ship that is called Blackburn Rovers righted and set on a course for the promised land of the Premiership. As this season approached, we heard nothing again from the owners although if you read between the lines, they were leaving their baby in the good hands of Derek and Alan accompanied by Gary and the tea lady.

Rovers were right on it pre season. 1 pre-season defeat, no injuries to speak of and decent season ticket sales despite some robust opposition from some of the fans groups. Positivity was rife and we had to think that finally Bowyer and Co would set the squad up for games, match by match with the aim of securing the 30 wins (or 90 points whichever way you want to look at it) that would see us promoted. Forgot to mention, we also had a decent kit, we had kept Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall and we had a reasonable suspicion to expect the team to be set up to win games.

How wrong we were.

In the opening game at home to Wolves we saw what Bowyer’s intentions were. They were not to win games, not to attack, not to fight, no plan a, b or c and no real footballing acumen amongst the players. What we saw was a team that was sent out no to lose. We witnessed the start of a trait that continued right through the season – giving silly goals away and conceding first. We also witnessed the first of a number of home losses that is so costly and the route of the problems at this club.

August - 5 games in the league, 2 losses, 3 draws and the annual loss in the league cup, AT HOME, to a lower league side in Shrewsbury Town. Those 3 points gained should have been a minimum of 10 points when you look at the ran bad defending and poor finishing we witnessed.

September – 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss. A point gained at Hull and QPR, we beat Charlton and then lost at Fulham. 4 games that we should have had more than the 5 points we snaffled. We contrived to throw away points through basic defensive errors and poor finishing.

October – 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw. The most frustrating month as we should have hammered Derby, we should have hammered Burnley yet we didn’t. We even got mullered down at MK Dons. A poor return points wise and Bowyer continued to have a right go.

November – 3 draws and 1 win. More importantly, Venkys made the best decision they have ever made and sacked Bowyer and his staff. The immediate appointment of Paul Lambert made Rovers fans wonder in awe about what they had done and got an immediate response when we won away at Preston. Never mind the 3 draws where we really should have won all 3 games with ease. Same old costly defending, silly goals and rank finishing.

December – 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. A bit of stability coming into the team nut lets not forget the bad misses v Forest and two pathetic losses at home to Brighton and Bolton. Points frittered again.

January - 2 wins, 2 losses and 2 draws although the 2 wins were cup games! League wise we threw away points with casual frivolity. We should have won all 4 games comfortably but didn’t. Can anyone guess the theme? As Jim in the yellow tie got a bit excited with the transfer window closing, we saw the sale of Rhodes, the collapse of the sale of Rhodes and then a last minute deal with Boro for our prized goal machine. Granted, he wanted out and hopefully the £11m we eventually get for him we and Paul Lambert were quite sure the owners would allow it to be re-invested ! The club itself managed a few in comings, some good, some bad and one spectacular signing in the goal machine that was the enigmatic Danny Graham.

February – 2 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw. We drew West Ham in the cup and after taking a lead we ended up being thrashed 5-1. Its only the cup we cried. The capitulation in defence was again the recurring thematic. League wise, another home defeat to Hull, points thrown away at Boro where we totally battered them and a loss at Derby, again after being much the better team.

March – 3 wins and 3 losses. We somehow managed to beat Boro with ease yet contrived to lose away at Burnley despite being far the better team. A Duffy howler cost us along with some bloody awful finishing. Another home loss to Leeds, again bad defending and a loss to Ipswich, more bad defending and poor finishing.

April – 1 win, 3 losses and 3 draws. Home defeats to PNE and Huddersfield (bad defending/finishing). Bad defending, bad defending and bad finishing ensured we drew with Forest, Wolves and Bristol C, ensured a loss to Sheff Wed despite leading. The theme of the month sending off of a Rovers player. The month ends with the shock or not so shock announcement that Lambert is to leave the reason being he activated a clause because Venkys, our beloved owners have lied YET AGAIN.

May – Reading at home. I cant predict the score but one would politely suggest a similar theme that has gone by, Rovers concede early (defensive mistake), score, get a player sent off and then concede again to another defensive error.

Paul Lambert departs (probably to Celtic). I am not too sure of the reception that will befall our failure of a team this season. I don’t expect many to watch the lap of dishonour, there are not many players who can be proud of their input this year. Some have been poor, some have been nothing short of a disgrace some have been just poor rank bad players.

So in looking at the 30 wins or 90 points required and where the team failed, here goes.

7 home defeats = 21 points lost.

6 home draws – 12 points lost.

Comical losses to Burnley twice, PNE and Bolton. Failure to go on and win away games such as Charlton, Cardiff, Bolton, Forest and Sheff Wed.

Catastrophic losses to MK Dons away – OUR BIGGEST DEFEAT IN THE LEAGUE THIS YEAR.

We have finished some 38 points away from the required amount to gain promotion.

We have at times lacked identity as a team, effort, pride, know how and skill. We have not been able to finish games and put away chance after chance YET we have shipped stupid and costly goals that have cost us wins and points. We have lacked any consistency and we have at times looked a ramshackle of a club on the pitch mirrored by the ramshackle of it.

Enjoy the summer break, keep safe, keep the faith. We are Blackburn Rovers FC.

Reading this is NOT a cure for depression.

Even unhappy with Leicester City being Champions.

A Season where we broke so many records(Bumley,Preston ...even Bristol City and MK Dons)

We need the new Gordon Lee....its worse than Crystal Palace Away and 'Glad All Over'

Keep the Faith guys

The sad thing is - c**p season though it was - IF Venky's had talked to Lambert and given him appropriate funds - even those that have doubts about how Lambert has done this season would see it as a season of building for next season. Now this season is just another missed opportunity - even if they pull a decent manager out of the hat - we will be starting from square one again (actually more like square -5)

The sad thing is - c**p season though it was - IF Venky's had talked to Lambert and given him appropriate funds - even those that have doubts about how Lambert has done this season would see it as a season of building for next season. Now this season is just another missed opportunity - even if they pull a decent manager out of the hat - we will be starting from square one again (actually more like square -5)

True enough. We couldn't have gone on any longer and I don't blame him walking. It just goes to show that when we don't hear anything going on at Ewood, it's not that anyone is keeping their cards close to their chests or keeping their powder dry, it's because there is literally nothing happening.

5.5 years and Venkys have learned absolutely NOTHING!

Yes pal as they'll be rebuilding from scratch with no funding

I wonder what the actual end day is but one things for certain I reckon it's on its way thanks to these clowns

It really has been a rubbish season.

*End*.

Wait till the next one K-Hod. I think 2016/17 might just eclipse the lot. In fact we will do well to finish it and fulfil our fixtures.

It was always going to be a @#/? season and one in which we've actually done well to stay up in reality. Cairney, Rudy, King, Olsson, Rhodes out, most of them amongst our best players plus the embargo and starting the season with a gaffer not best equipped to replace them for nothing nor get the best out of what was left or who he brought in.

Any team would struggle under the circumstances and considering that with those players last season we only floundered around mid table. The writing was always on the wall I'm afraid as it is for next season unless there is a drastic upturn in the running of the club.

Cracking review 1864! You've captured the frustration and madness of our wacko season perfectly. The irony of Leicester's achievement and the 'business-like' success of our drag-knuckle neighbours just serves to make the pain more acute. And like any bad dream, we don't know when, or where, or how, or IF it is ever going to come to an end... Well done and thanks!

For me, this season has been the straw to break the camel's back. Following the shambles of a club that we now are, I have tried to remain optimistic in the hope that the penny would finally drop in India. The obvious solution seemed to happen and I 100% got my wish when we finally appointed a proper management team. I honestly thought that the rebuilding had finally started. How wrong could I be? The season has petered out and ended in utter farce. I've never felt as disenchanted with my club and realisation has hit home - barring a miracle, we are absolutely screwed, for the long, long term and there just isn't going to be an upturn in our fortunes. I feel absolutely gutted with it all and guilty for bailing - but can't waste any more energy on what we are being force-fed. Would an inspired management appointment and a much-needed overhaul of the squad win me back for at least another season? Absolutely. Will it happen? Not a chance.

Reading this is NOT a cure for depression.

Even unhappy with Leicester City being Champions.

A Season where we broke so many records(Bumley,Preston ...even Bristol City and MK Dons)

We need the new Gordon Lee....its worse than Crystal Palace Away and 'Glad All Over'

Keep the Faith guys

Noooo...Dave Clark 5....Rovers 0 (Duffy sent off)

True enough. We couldn't have gone on any longer and I don't blame him walking. It just goes to show that when we don't hear anything going on at Ewood, it's not that anyone is keeping their cards close to their chests or keeping their powder dry, it's because there is literally nothing happening.

5.5 years and Venkys have learned absolutely NOTHING!

Yes they have... they've taken a well run established premier league club and turned it into a shell of its former self, good going that for 5 and half years

Sorry Stuart misread your post, I thought you said done absolutely nothing

Well fellow Roverites, the seasons end is upon us.

As we reach the final game we see Leicester City complete a footballing miracle that mirrors our own dreams back in 1995. For them it’s the season in a lifetime and one that they can be extremely proud of and one that is never going to be repeated.

In our own league, we have our nearest and dearest sitting proudly at the tip of the tree, promotion secured and a win gives them the Championship.

In stark contrast to the success of Burnley we take stock in envy and look at just how it has gone so wrong for us at BRFC. It has to be one of the worst seasons ever in living memory.

We began with positivity emanating from the Rovers camp. Bowyer and Shaw in full flow, a plan to achieve the ultimate goal, a financial plan to stem the flow of cash going out of the club, a plan to use our gems, current staff and experience to get the club up the top of the table and fight for promotion and a plan to finally get this ship that is called Blackburn Rovers righted and set on a course for the promised land of the Premiership. As this season approached, we heard nothing again from the owners although if you read between the lines, they were leaving their baby in the good hands of Derek and Alan accompanied by Gary and the tea lady.

Rovers were right on it pre season. 1 pre-season defeat, no injuries to speak of and decent season ticket sales despite some robust opposition from some of the fans groups. Positivity was rife and we had to think that finally Bowyer and Co would set the squad up for games, match by match with the aim of securing the 30 wins (or 90 points whichever way you want to look at it) that would see us promoted. Forgot to mention, we also had a decent kit, we had kept Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall and we had a reasonable suspicion to expect the team to be set up to win games.

How wrong we were.

In the opening game at home to Wolves we saw what Bowyer’s intentions were. They were not to win games, not to attack, not to fight, no plan a, b or c and no real footballing acumen amongst the players. What we saw was a team that was sent out no to lose. We witnessed the start of a trait that continued right through the season – giving silly goals away and conceding first. We also witnessed the first of a number of home losses that is so costly and the route of the problems at this club.

Enjoy the summer break, keep safe, keep the faith. We are Blackburn Rovers FC.

Like the post 1864 and understand where you are coming from - your final comment I am sure we all concur with

but Not everybody succumbed to the 'positivity' - the season ended a few years back in the sense of it and has not started since

What we saw was a team that was sent out no to lose - far to common in the game nowadays and does my head in - and a tactic all to familiar with Bowyer hence the statement above

Good analysis 1864.

The squad is awful but football has been OK ish at times.

Don't think I have ever before looked at an entire Rovers squad and not seen a single name good enough to play at the highest level.

Positives- Lenihan and not getting relegated. Shaw, Bowyer and the easy street coaching staff removed.

Negatives- everything else.

Good analysis 1864.

The squad is awful but football has been OK ish at times.

Don't think I have ever before looked at an entire Rovers squad and not seen a single name good enough to play at the highest level.

Positives- Lenihan and not getting relegated. Shaw, Bowyer and the easy street coaching staff removed.

Negatives- everything else.

TBH when Shaw went I wondered was it cost cutting and when Myers resigned was the big indication of what is on the horizon

I still rank K***s relegation season as the worst, never seen anything like and hopefully never will again but this season ran it close.

Not just our own failures but the success of others around us (Dingles :( ) and the prospect of going into next season is ultimately terrifying as opposed to something we should be looking forward to.

• Backroom

but Not everybody succumbed to the 'positivity' - the season ended a few years back in the sense of it and has not started since

From what I remember there was very little positivity, the usual suspects aside. We still had GB in charge, our transfer business had been made up of freebies and loans, Gestede, Cairney and King were gone and all signs pointed towards further regression. I could be wrong but I remember the mood being distinctly down at the start of the season.

I still rank K***s relegation season as the worst, never seen anything like and hopefully never will again but this season ran it close.

Not just our own failures but the success of others around us (Dingles :( ) and the prospect of going into next season is ultimately terrifying as opposed to something we should be looking forward to.

I'd also still rank the relegation season under Kean as the worst, but this season probably as the one where all hope for recovery effectively ended. It's a bit like comparing vomit with excrement, either way it stinks.

Despite an abysmal 5 years, the appointment of Lambert gave me hope again.

Not that Lambert guaranteed anything, but the way it was quickly sorted out was a sign of a football club acting professionally and it was a real statement of intent.

Even as late as March, when we played Boro off the park (home and away), I was really looking forward to next season.

So the events of the last 6 weeks have been the most demoralising I can recall.

Despite an abysmal 5 years, the appointment of Lambert gave me hope again.

Not that Lambert guaranteed anything, but the way it was quickly sorted out was a sign of a football club acting professionally and it was a real statement of intent.

Even as late as March, when we played Boro off the park (home and away), I was really looking forward to next season.

So the events of the last 6 weeks have been the most demoralising I can recall.

no more to say

I thought in August we'd probably go down and we didn't, so that's sort of a plus. I remember the 1965-66 season well and the dire ones that eventually followed but hand on heart this is the worst I can recall. In the past I could always paint a picture were we turned the corner and fought our way back up again, I can't at the moment.

Archived