BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

I think the "plan" is to show that we have much lower losses at the end of this financial period with all of the sales that have taken place and reduction in wage spend.

The model that they seem to want to follow is buy freebies/cheap upcoming players and use the loan market, in addition to continued investment in the academy with the hope that this model can keep us competitive in this league.

In other words no ambition - mass boycott !

Cheston out !!! Sylvester out!!! Wheelock out !! scousers out !

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to ask if Duffy would want to play for that bunch of stiffs. (Celtic)

There is a real emotional pull for any of the Irish lads to play for Celtic. For proof of how they feel about Celtic watch these three before and Old Firm game.

Not often I agree with chaddy but by European standards Celtic are NOT a big club, big fan base yes but compared to the Barcelonas, ac Milans, real Madrids, Juventus, man utd, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, they are pretty much minnows, they play in a tin pot league where they are guaranteed champions league football and they rarely make it past the group stage, sometimes not even the preliminaries, their European record in ratio to the number of seasons they have qualified for it as abysmal, even forest have won more European cups, compare them to a similar standard club like Ajax, they have won 4 European cups, appeared in more finals, are they regarded as a massive club? No. Until celtic make a concerted impact in Europe then I wont fall into this myth about how big a club they are

That's not who he was comparing them to though is it?

That's not who he was comparing them to though is it?

I have said they are a club with huge fan base. But I agree with Roverandout(1st time for everything haha) arent a big club in Europe tho. Play in a league without Rangers for 4 years so no wonder they won trophies.

Yes I agree with yourself about a worldwide fan based but havent done anything in Europe in the past 10/15 years have they.

I have said they are a club with huge fan base. But I agree with Roverandout(1st time for everything haha) arent a big club in Europe tho. Play in a league without Rangers for 4 years so no wonder they won trophies.

Yes I agree with yourself about a worldwide fan based but havent done anything in Europe in the past 10/15 years have they.

Doesn't mean they aren't a big club. Man Utd went 27 years without winning the league in England, it didn't stop them from being the biggest club in the land.

There's a huge difference between being successful and being a big club, and I think you are confusing the two. I hate both Celtic and Rangers, I hate the sectarianism that accompanies both clubs, I have to deal with the fall out from that on an almost daily basis, and I agree they do play in a tin pot league. But they are absolutely huge clubs, the pair of them.

I think the plan is clearly to sell anyone who can be sold for cash and spend none of the money on transfer fees. Whether that's asset stripping or financial prudence we will not know until the next stage of the drama unfolds.

• Moderation Lead

It's ok 'Abs', I'll ask you again the next time you pull anyone up about their info.

Will you stop it please? If something another poster does offends you, then report it. Alternatively, look at Mike's carefully constructed thread on guidelines-

http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/31287-lets-try-a-fresh-start-of-sorts/

Doesn't mean they aren't a big club. Man Utd went 27 years without winning the league in England, it didn't stop them from being the biggest club in the land.

There's a huge difference between being successful and being a big club, and I think you are confusing the two. I hate both Celtic and Rangers, I hate the sectarianism that accompanies both clubs, I have to deal with the fall out from that on an almost daily basis, and I agree they do play in a tin pot league. But they are absolutely huge clubs, the pair of them.

Absolutely true. Hard to describe to someone who doesn't know Scotland just how big a club. They permeate through society at every level. Can' stand either cheek of the bum either but you can't ignore them.

Getting to the UEFA Cup final in 2003 was an excellent achievement in my opinion.

Getting to the UEFA Cup final in 2003 was an excellent achievement in my opinion.

Indeed, losing in extra-time to Mourinho's Porto, Champions League winners the next season.

They've qualified 3 times since then I believe from the group stages into the knockout rounds. A similar record to teams like Benfica and Galatasaray I think. In that time their away record has been awful but at home they've basically beaten a who's-who of European football.

If you want to (stupidly) compare them to Real Madrid and Bayern Munich then obviously they aren't huge clubs like them.

But teams like Celtic, Benfica, Ajax, Feyenoord etc have got great European history nonetheless.

They're just big fish in smaller ponds. Put them in leagues like the premier league and they have the potential to go right to the top. That's how you can tell they are big clubs.

He's going, its just whether Rovers take the money and run now or whether they hold out for a bit more and hope Newcastle don't get second thoughts. The last thing this mob at Rovers want is for the deal to fall through and be left without a windfall.

Who values him at £6 million? Who decides what is an acceptable offer? Is Coyle in complete control here or do Venkys decide? So many questions.

I suppose the only thing we can all be sure about is that none of the money we get for Hanley will be reinvested. Coyle might get permission for a free transfer or loan to replace Hanley, though Wes Brown is no doubt being lined up for that role, but people seriously thinking the money will be used for wider squad improvements need to get real.

Does anybody know how much they have spent on the Academy in their time here? Personally I wouldn't have thought it costs more than £2m each year which would equate to around £12m or the money from Samba's transfer.

It would be interesting if anybody did have more accurate figures.

I think I recall it being 3 million/year Tony. The last accounts showed that over 70 staff/players were allocated against the Academy, nearly 1/3rd the total, which I thought was a ludicrous level to produce a player every two years. Would be much simpler all round to buy a 6 million player every two years.

Will you stop it please? If something another poster does offends you, then report it. Alternatively, look at Mike's carefully constructed thread on guidelines-

http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/31287-lets-try-a-fresh-start-of-sorts/

Abbey must have some friends in real high places on this board. Always seems to be the others that get warned and not him. :huh:

It seems as if Hanley will almost definitely be off. If we don't sign a centre back to replace him then I really do fear for our season. People may say it's an exaggeration but losing a leader and the heart of your defence can have crippling affects on your squad.

Lets say the academy costs the club £3 million a year to run. If we sell Hanley for £6 million and add that to the £18 million Phil Jones money then that's the whole thing paid for 8 years.

So whatever Venkys have 'invested' into the academy to maintain its Category 1 status has been more than covered through the sales of just 2 academy products.

I think one of the rules of having Category 1 status is that clubs are expected to invest upwards of £2.5 million per year into their academies.

Archived