BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

Coyle's done the freebies bit, money now needs to be spent on some quality young uns. It's false economy not to if we sign the right ones.

Correct because GB's cash buys will be the ones being sold in the near future to pay the bills, no more Hanleys on the horizon and those only come along once every 5 years anyway.

As AJW said 'the fridge needs restocking'.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bringing in Coyle was a massive indication that utilising the loan market was the 'plan' from now on. His record in the loan market got him the job imo. Loan players means you don't have any commitment to expensive long term contracts. The pay offs for Murphy, Best et al burnt Venky's badly.

£21m? Excellent! If we sell a few more we might finally get to that £50m war chest that Nixon promised. Maybe they'll double that too. It's all coming together at last!!.

Whatever money Lambert was offered wouldn't have been enough for him. He never wanted to be at the club. Why do you think he had an exit clause? A quick pay day, getting his name back on the footie map and then off he goes after the Celtic job. Shame it didn't work out for him.

Some Rovers fans were well and truly sucked in by that guy.

Nothing but baseless speculation mixed with sour grapes.

Lambert was the first manager to call the owner's bluff. He identified that the club infrastructure was not conducive to success and that the club needed investment if promotion was the aim. If he wanted to he could've kept quiet and taken the Venky coin like every other schmuck they've appointed as manager until a better job came along or until they arbitrarily fired him, but he stood his ground.

"Famous Number 9 Shirt"

"Jawdee Nashun"

"52,000 Screaming Jawdees Every Saturday"

"Barcelona of the North"

Aye dreamers alright.

'Dream move to Newcastle'. Who the hell do they think they are? :blink:

Think they may have heard about his legendary thirst in which case a dream move to the Bigg Market. Big Grant really will be spoiled for choice up there.

• Moderation Lead

Yeah that is correct. But like I said a Big fan base club

The Champions League these days is about having the biggest clubs in the Competitions not just the League Winners. UEFA, want the top 3/4 clubs from England, Spain, Italy, Germany before they think other clubs from other countries

Sorry Chaddy, but you're contradicting yourself here and the first bit doesn't really make any sense at all. I have a vehement dislike of Celtic myself, but they are a massive club with a massive fan base, I really don't see how by any measure they aren't? :blink:

Trophies- check

Worldwide fan base- check

Large average attendance- check

Anyhow, transfers eh? :rover:

'Dream move to Newcastle'. Who the hell do they think they are? :blink:

They are a club that are likely to be in the Premier League in twelve months time and it would be a dream move for Hanley to be playing at that level and in front of a packed St. James' Park on a regular basis. At the moment there is no comparison between the Rovers and Newcastle. We are world's apart. For Hanley's own career development, as a regular international player, I would think he views it as essential to make a move at this point in his career.

• Moderation Lead

They are a club that are likely to be in the Premier League in twelve months time and it would be a dream move for Hanley to be playing at that level and in front of a packed St. James' Park on a regular basis. At the moment there is no comparison between the Rovers and Newcastle. We are world's apart. For Hanley's own career development, as a regular international player, I would think he views it as essential to make a move at this point in his career.

So, then he can move there in 12 months' time? I've no issue with us selling to a PL team, but it just shows a complete lack of ambition for us to sell our best players. If Venky's REALLY wanted to correct the financial problems, they should aim for promotion, then if we got up there the financial problems would be no more.

Selling our best players and replacing them with lesser quality free transfers and loans will only result in relegation.....

I think the "plan" is to show that we have much lower losses at the end of this financial period with all of the sales that have taken place and reduction in wage spend.

The model that they seem to want to follow is buy freebies/cheap upcoming players and use the loan market, in addition to continued investment in the academy with the hope that this model can keep us competitive in this league.

To show who?

If they follow the model of selling good players and replacing them with freebies/ academy lads, then we'll be looking at the fair play rules for league 1.

Under someone like Allardyce Hanley would have turned into a 10 mill Prem defender had we stayed in there and we'd be flogging him Everton or Spuds or someone for a deal totalling even more.

Don't blame him one bit and wish him well and the reality of the situation is this was always going to happen. The reality of it also is it will take the sales of the last 12 months north of 25 million with ZERO properly reinvested.

Sorry but for all the whys and where's it stinks and we are being taken for mugs again. You can bet your last penny that a good % of it will be being syphoned off somewhere despite what goes to debts or running costs. These corrupt idiots will want this type of scenario repeating every few years whilst they continue to hang around.

7k crowds and low championship or league 1 means nothing at all to them and I just cannot for the life of me fathom how people still buy into it loyal fan or not. Venkys and their hidden partners ( and there are ) make me sick.

Coyle's done the freebies bit, money now needs to be spent on some quality young uns. It's false economy not to if we sign the right ones.

I agree with you.

The transfer market at the minute is crazy. 17 mil for Ibe or 18 Mil for Michael Keane. wtf!

we should be looking for 8 to 10 mil pounds for Hanley.

Bringing in Coyle was a massive indication that utilising the loan market was the 'plan' from now on. His record in the loan market got him the job imo. Loan players means you don't have any commitment to expensive long term contracts. The pay offs for Murphy, Best et al burnt Venky's badly.

The pay offs that we did to Murphy, Etuhu and Best were massives. But yet again the people who put these players on those sort of contracts should have been sacked straight away.

I have no problems with us using the loan players but we should be looking at 3 or 4 at a Maximum. you can only have 5 loans in a match day squad. We need to look at bringing in good players aswell on low fees like Bowyer did with Evans, Conway, Cairney and Gestede.

I think the "plan" is to show that we have much lower losses at the end of this financial period with all of the sales that have taken place and reduction in wage spend.

The model that they seem to want to follow is buy freebies/cheap upcoming players and use the loan market, in addition to continued investment in the academy with the hope that this model can keep us competitive in this league.

Does anybody know how much they have spent on the Academy in their time here? Personally I wouldn't have thought it costs more than £2m each year which would equate to around £12m or the money from Samba's transfer.

It would be interesting if anybody did have more accurate figures.

When was the last tim they spent money on a cheap up and coming player? Duffy?

let me jog your memory some more....Moyes/Joyce.You told us that too.

And Moyes was interested in the job (unless he was lying to my face) whilst the Warren Joyce thing broke nationally the day after I passed it on...NEXT

General rule of thumb is that if you mean business as a club then you don't sell your best players to rival clubs.

Whatever Newcastle have or don't have, the simple fact is that we will be playing them next season in the Championship. If we had any ambition then our aim would be to finish above them, and the key to doing that is not to sell our best players to them. Same last season with Cairney to Fulham.

As K-Hod says, there's nothing wrong will allowing a player to step up a level to the Premier League like we did with Gestede last summer, but in allowing players to join rivals we're getting the double whammy of not only further weakening ourselves, but in the process significantly strengthening our rivals, and making our challenge next season even greater.

I want 6 points off Newcastle next season. I don't care that their manager is Benitez or they get 40,000 crowds or they are favourites for promotion. We're in the same league and allowing our best players to join them or any other Championship club is asking for trouble.

You could argue that all Bowyers signings were cheap and/or up and coming.

You COULD argue that Bowyer built the best side we've had in 5/6 years.... Gestede, Cairney, Conway, Evans, Spurr, Duffy and Marshall for under £5m is ridiculously good business.

And before anyone starts pointing to the dross remember that he also reduced the wages AND made a net gain on his transfer business.

As Iv said before, average tactician, bloody brilliant in the transfer market!

Does anybody know how much they have spent on the Academy in their time here? Personally I wouldn't have thought it costs more than £2m each year which would equate to around £12m or the money from Samba's transfer.

It would be interesting if anybody did have more accurate figures.

That just comes as part and parcel of the overall club budget though and always has done I'd think. It's not like they've gone out of their way on that one and wasn't it neglected for quite a while at first under them ? They only seem to have got to grips with it in the last year or two.

You can be sure that if their advisors/partners had told them to close it, flog it, downscale it then it would have been done ages ago. There's a lot of window dressing being done over this recently when in reality the parachute money servicing the overall debt will have been paying for it like everything else.

Virtually every Championship club loses money. Our wages may finally be 'under control' and the payoffs may have finally stopped, but it's still a money losing business. If I remember right, a couple years ago the only Championship clubs to turn a (small) profit were Yeovil and Blackpool. We wasted our parachute payment advantage on Best, Etuhu, Murphy, the Portuguese lot, dodgy agents, payoffs, and contracts without relegation clauses (not to mention Rhodes, who wasn't quite a waste!). Seems we needed the Cairney, King, and Gestede sales to get out of the embargo, while the Rhodes money has gone to cover future losses/pay down the debt. Unfortunate, but not really all that surprising (and if Lambert was initially promised some money, I don't blame him for walking, though hardly a glorious tenure). The next set of accounts should prove interesting reading.

Yes, it'd be nice (and there's a moral argument too) if Venky's put up another £39M of losses over the next three years to get us up to the PL, but it doesn't guarantee promotion (see 2012/13...) and it also further entangles us to Venky's financial skull****ery.

Now, I don't quite buy the asset stripping theory given signing Graham and Stokes to apparently hefty deals wouldn't make sense, nor the money apparently still being pumped into the academy. Now, if Duffy, Hanley, Marshall (who apparently has been offered a new contract), and Evans are all sold off before the transfer window shuts (all of who are probably still on hefty wages), then I'd agree. I suspect they've reached their limit on swallowing the immense losses of before and want to run the club on a sounder financial footing, but they're probably assuming we'd then still have a decent promotion shot each year, rather than risking another relegation (which I doubt with the current lineup, people underestimate our defense, but with further sales...)

Oh yeah, and hiring Coyle was... curious... and we lack a proper board of directors.

go rovers...

Dozens of clubs have academies and if you want them at Cat 1 producing players then they have to be funded it's not unique to Rovers nor is it some kind of special Venky gift. Part and parcel of owning a football club which will fall inside the annual loses and add to the debt which was serviced by parachutes and now player sales.

You COULD argue that Bowyer built the best side we've had in 5/6 years.... Gestede, Cairney, Conway, Evans, Spurr, Duffy and Marshall for under £5m is ridiculously good business.

And before anyone starts pointing to the dross remember that he also reduced the wages AND made a net gain on his transfer business.

Ie he could spot a good buy but didn't know what to do with them when he'd signed them.

Koita, Feeney, Varney, Brown, Songo'o.

Without something to spend his free transfers were a bit suspect.

I'd also add Steele to that as a crap transfer but that's more disputable.

Btw I think he did brilliantly when he had wonga to spend (even a little bit) but a free transfer genius he was not.

Not often I agree with chaddy but by European standards Celtic are NOT a big club, big fan base yes but compared to the Barcelonas, ac Milans, real Madrids, Juventus, man utd, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, they are pretty much minnows, they play in a tin pot league where they are guaranteed champions league football and they rarely make it past the group stage, sometimes not even the preliminaries, their European record in ratio to the number of seasons they have qualified for it as abysmal, even forest have won more European cups, compare them to a similar standard club like Ajax, they have won 4 European cups, appeared in more finals, are they regarded as a massive club? No. Until celtic make a concerted impact in Europe then I wont fall into this myth about how big a club they are

Archived