BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Seems Benitez is intent on paying as many buy out clauses as he possibly can this summer.

he thinks if he buys all the players, no team will have players, and Newcastle can win the league. Good tactic that lol

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judge just didn't do the business here, he had numerous chances and never really took them, for whatever reason. I think he's a late bloomer who thrives under a certain system. Garner never really got a chance at Rovers, he went to Carlisle very young and in fairness he's always played at a lower standard than Rovers, until last year.

What have Judge, King and Rochina got in common? They're all attacking midfielders.

What kind of tactics did Bowyer prefer? Defensive, cautious, with a nice big gap between a low-lying midfield and an isolated forward. Didn't know what to do with the players he had and didn't have the players for his tactics!

The players we have had at this club - even after relegation - and we got plantpot manager after plantpot manager.

We finally get a proper manager and we've already sold or paid off all the useful midfield players and then he gets the blame for not getting promoted with the dross that was left!

What have Judge, King and Rochina got in common? They're all attacking midfielders.

What kind of tactics did Bowyer prefer? Defensive, cautious, with a nice big gap between a low-lying midfield and an isolated forward. Didn't know what to do with the players he had and didn't have the players for his tactics!

The players we have had at this club - even after relegation - and we got plantpot manager after plantpot manager.

We finally get a proper manager and we've already sold or paid off all the useful midfield players and then he gets the blame for not getting promoted with the dross that was left!

at the time i was saying, Go on Ruben, attack them, and shoot. then i heard fans moan about him giving the ball away, then i thought to myself, do we not have cover for him in midfield, somebody who could help him out? then i realised its just a waste of time, because people were looking beyond Rubens ability on the ball. Cairney was a similar player, but these are players that are very rare to find, players that you just let loose, you let them play, and you find players to play around them, while they do their thing.

Tugay had so much freedom in the middle, because he had players who dug in deep to be his legs at times, while he was the brains and tactician spraying it around. We have nothing like that in this squad.

At one point in late 2013/early 2014, our options going forward were Rhodes, Gestede, King, Rochina, Judge and Dunn :blink:

Yet we insisted playing Rhodes - mental.

Gestede

King Dunn Judge

Crazy.

at the time i was saying, Go on Ruben, attack them, and shoot. then i heard fans moan about him giving the ball away, then i thought to myself, do we not have cover for him in midfield, somebody who could help him out? then i realised its just a waste of time, because people were looking beyond Rubens ability on the ball. Cairney was a similar player, but these are players that are very rare to find, players that you just let loose, you let them play, and you find players to play around them, while they do their thing.

Tugay had so much freedom in the middle, because he had players who dug in deep to be his legs at times, while he was the brains and tactician spraying it around. We have nothing like that in this squad.

Tugay was a genius. A top flight player. He is one of the few who could get away with being a luxury player because he was not expected to get around the pitch.

But he has nothing to do with a debate about attacking Championship midfielders. We have had them - and you are right to include Cairney and probably Marshall. Neither were deployed in the right way with Marshall forced to play at full back. Much of this was to do with a policy of bringing in players because they were available and not because they were what we needed. This meant players playing out of position and contrary to their strengths because of a need to plug holes. Quantity was preferred over quality. It's entirely possible there was a requirement to buy low and sell high but the approach taken when we DID have attacking players was reprehensible.

Judge just didn't do the business here, he had numerous chances and never really took them, for whatever reason. I think he's a late bloomer who thrives under a certain system. Garner never really got a chance at Rovers, he went to Carlisle very young and in fairness he's always played at a lower standard than Rovers, until last year.

I don't feel as he was given even half a chance here.

Absolutely spot on. We were never going anywhere because we never had a proper manager in this league (until Lambert). By then, 90% of the quality had been filtered out of the squad. Bowyer (or whoever) bought quite well, he just didn't have the tactical nads to get the team results. What were good players at this level, we're often shackled by cagey tactic or glued to the bench. We have messes up from top to bottom, have been thrown numerous get out of jail free cards, but haven't cashed them in.

Absolutely spot on. We were never going anywhere because we never had a proper manager in this league (until Lambert). By then, 90% of the quality had been filtered out of the squad. Bowyer (or whoever) bought quite well, he just didn't have the tactical nads to get the team results. What were food players at this level, we're often shackled by cagey tactic or glued to the bench. We have messes up from top to bottom, have been thrown numerous get out of jail free cards, but haven't cashed them in.

Dunny, Benni, trying to think now who else, but they looked like they enjoyed eating ;)

Yet we insisted playing Rhodes - mental.

Gestede

King Dunn Judge

Crazy.

The line is cast .................

At one point in late 2013/early 2014, our options going forward were Rhodes, Gestede, King, Rochina, Judge and Dunn :blink:

Throw in Marshall & Cairney and that's a 20 odd million pound attacking line up ! Oh Gaz..... :(

A decent manager would with those players got us promoted without a doubt... But hey was it ever on the agenda of venkys

He's not quite as hopeless as Coyle, that is all. Our downward spiral well under way on his watch last season.

Always comes back to 40 goals a season, but they require assists - ie Conway (one of our only good players left and also a GB signing), Gestede, Cairney, Marshall all assembled on the cheap and effective. It's sad to see GB pillored here often when he did an awful lot of good. I thought moving to PL with window opening and FFP lifted was the right idea.

Stopping the tap when you sell Gestede and Cairney caused that slump last season btw, and Rhodes injury preseason. Bargain bin deals didn't work out, aka Guthrie, Koita. Lambert hired, tap turned back on (Bennett, Ward, Graham et al) and we survived.

I'd take GB over Coyle any day. Someone I got tired of reminding people here that his intentions tallied with our own.

Anyway, can we leave it at that with GB? I'm sure someone will be going on about "that Yeovil game" within a few posts!

Always comes back to 40 goals a season, but they require assists - ie Conway (one of our only good players left and also a GB signing), Gestede, Cairney, Marshall all assembled on the cheap and effective. It's sad to see GB pillored here often when he did an awful lot of good. I thought moving to PL with window opening and FFP lifted was the right idea.

Stopping the tap when you sell Gestede and Cairney caused that slump last season btw, and Rhodes injury preseason. Bargain bin deals didn't work out, aka Guthrie, Koita. Lambert hired, tap turned back on (Bennett, Ward, Graham et al) and we survived.

I'd take GB over Coyle any day. Someone I got tired of reminding people here that his intentions tallied with our own.

Anyway, can we leave it at that with GB? I'm sure someone will be going on about "that Yeovil game" within a few posts!

Jb unfortunately that ship has now sailed where we go from here is anyone's guess

Archived