BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Says the man on 210 posts.....

Cairney was talented but had no heart when he was here. Like I say if he has addressed that side of his game then good luck to him but 3.75m was an excellent fee at the time and whilst there was a possibility he might improve it was by no means a given he would end up a 10m rated player.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cairney was talented but had no heart when he was here. Like I say if he has addressed that side of his game then good luck to him but 3.75m was an excellent fee at the time and whilst there was a possibility he might improve it was by no means a given he would end up a 10m rated player.

Right there is the problem....why? Spoke to a fulham friend this weekend and they think they stole him at such a low price.

• Backroom

Rev, you understand that post-count is completely irrelevant to anything?

Rev, you understand that post-count is completely irrelevant to anything?

You're obviously missing the irony in someone with 210 posts coming on attempting to wind me up by accusing me of being a wind up merchant.

As for Cairney, Hull didn't fancy him obviously either so if we did fail to see any unfulfilled potential in him we weren't the only ones. At the time he left us he'd failed at Hull and been very much a peripheral player here at times so 3.75m was an excellent fee at the time.

It's easy with hindsight.

Hull let him come here initially on loan to get games after he had been out injured nearly all of their promotion season. By January they were dealing in a different market to us and throwing millions around on people like Huddlestone, Livermore and Snodgrass around that time and were on their way to Premier League survival so it was no surprise that they were happy to let him move on to us permanently. He was out of contract at the end of that season anyway so the fee was always likely to be nominal.

Not the same as our situation where he had established himself as an integral part of our first team who the manager was desperate to keep hold of and who didn't want to move to Fulham anyway.

It was a move brought about for financial reasons due to Venkys rather than footballing reasons like so many others we've seen in recent times. These are such good businesspeople that if they'd have sat tight for another 12 months they'd have probably had double what they got for him.

If it had been the case that Cairney wasn't getting near our team, was a waste of space and Bowyer was keen to get rid to bring in some money to spend then fair enough, but it wasn't.

People had different opinions on Cairney. I for one was gutted to see him go so cheaply. He was the most talented player we had at the time but was wasted out on the wing. It's the same every time we get a player with a bit of flair. Some on here can't see past blood and guts players who "put in a shift". Flair players win you matches. Bryan Douglas would have been sold by many on here because he was "too lightweight".

• Backroom

The best midfield we've had in these championship years was a midfield 3 of Cairney, Evans, and Lowe (I say without irony that Lowe was actually useful for those few games).

No idea why Bowyer insisted on breaking that up! That midfield 3 with Rudy and Rhodes up front, and King in the hole would've been immense!

*sigh*

Wasn't always a fan of TC's languid style but i could see enough to know he was the most talented player both upstairs and in his feet we'd had since the Prem days. I'd have preferred to keep him and see him get a boot up the arse occasionally and earn his place in his correct position. At the time though we could have had Zidane and Berkovic but Gaz would have gone with Willowe or Loweva because that was the style he preferred.

However Bowyer didn't sell him and he was clearly gutted when it went over everyone's heads. Yes it was a decent offer but on someone like him you've got to insist on a sell on it's a given but that might have driven down the initial fee or stalled things when our lot needed the cash to square off a loan i suspect or maybe just pay the wages.

What happened with him was a clear flashing warning sign of things to come. I even briefly fell for the apologist line that we were selling him to get out of FFP and reinvest ! Hilarious as proven :(

People had different opinions on Cairney. I for one was gutted to see him go so cheaply. He was the most talented player we had at the time but was wasted out on the wing. It's the same every time we get a player with a bit of flair. Some on here can't see past blood and guts players who "put in a shift". Flair players win you matches. Bryan Douglas would have been sold by many on here because he was "too lightweight".

Just because you're small it doesn't make you a lightweight. Berkovic wasn't any size at all, neither was Speedie. They weren't lightweights. It's the size of what you've got beating under the badge that counts.

Cairney was a very talented player who turned it on when he felt like it. He was out on the wing because when we played him in central midfield most of the time he was ineffectual. He could have been as influential as Berkovic was for us but something was missing in his game, possibly he lacked the right attitude. It's hard to really judge any player at Rovers in the recent past because of the chaos that has run through every aspect of the club.

Just because you're small it doesn't make you a lightweight. Berkovic wasn't any size at all, neither was Speedie. They weren't lightweights. It's the size of what you've got beating under the badge that counts.

Cairney was a very talented player who turned it on when he felt like it. He was out on the wing because when we played him in central midfield most of the time he was ineffectual. He could have been as influential as Berkovic was for us but something was missing in his game, possibly he lacked the right attitude. It's hard to really judge any player at Rovers in the recent past because of the chaos that has run through every aspect of the club.

Neither Berkovic or Speedie were lightweights and neither was Cairney. I don't agree with you about him being ineffectual. He was a joy to watch. Strange how opinions differ.

Doesnt he play on the wing now for Fulham aswell???

Neither Berkovic or Speedie were lightweights and neither was Cairney. I don't agree with you about him being ineffectual. He was a joy to watch. Strange how opinions differ.

I thought he was ineffectual most of the time in centre midfield, out wide when he was in the mood he was top class. When we got tanked at City in the cup he was the one player in our team who would have looked at home in their team. He's got everything you need to be a success in central midfield but for some reason games seemed to pass him by.

As with all the recent departures, the problem wasn't just that we "only" got 3.75m for Cairney, it was also the fact that none of that money was reinvested in the team.

If anything the V's have generally managed to get very good money for players sold during their time here but that's not an endorsement in fact quite the opposite because a) If you want to succeed you shouldn't be selling your best players except if one occasionally wants to leave and

b ) If you do sell one occasionally that money should be reinvested in the squad.

As with all the recent departures, the problem wasn't just that we "only" got 3.75m for Cairney, it was also the fact that none of that money was reinvested in the team.

If anything the V's have generally managed to get very good money for players sold during their time here but that's not an endorsement in fact quite the opposite because a) If you want to succeed you shouldn't be selling your best players except if one occasionally wants to leave and

b ) If you do sell one occasionally that money should be reinvested in the squad.

A) Concerning good fee's, I think your wrong as before Jerome took a cut we got 3.5 million for N'Zonzi now rated at 28 million whilst the following has also happened under there watch;

Rudy Gestede - 6 million - 1 year later sold for 7 after an unproductive spell at Villa.

Ruben Rochina - 400k - Aquired for 400k + 1.6 million agents fee, sold by Grenada for 10 million to Rubin Kazan.

Josh King - 1 million - Let his contract go down until weeks before it ended sold to Bournemouth for 1 million, easily 4-5 million worth now.

Nikola Kalinic - 6 million - few years down the line sold to China for 38.5 million.

Martin Olsson - 2 million - Linked with various clubs in the past from Norwich for 5 million +

Tom Cairney - 3.5 million - Now linked with a 10 million move away.

Yakubu - 1 million - Sold after scoring 20 premier league goals for 1 million.

Scott Dann - 1.5 million - Sold to Palace, became solid under a proper manager, linked with Everton for 10+ and an England cap.

I actually think Cairney best football for rovers was when he played in the hole behind the forward or wide which gave him more space. He struggled in a midfield two.

At the time he was probably under valued at the price but Venkys were desperate for cash but likewise if someone is willing to pay £10 mill now, I would say Fulham should rip their hands off.

Alan Nixon

Blackburn Rovers are closer to three deals. But not yet close enough.

Marshall out and what other two?

Alan Nixon

Blackburn Rovers are closer to three deals. But not yet close enough.

Up there with one of his worst tweets (?) Of all time.

Might be 3, might be 0. I've got a back out for each and can claim credit for any that happen.

Ultimately if there are 3 in the pipeline it will be Barnes, The French RB and Mears.

Probably at the expense of Marshall and Bennett.

A) Concerning good fee's, I think your wrong as before Jerome took a cut we got 3.5 million for N'Zonzi now rated at 28 million whilst the following has also happened under there watch;

Rudy Gestede - 6 million - 1 year later sold for 7 after an unproductive spell at Villa.

Ruben Rochina - 400k - Aquired for 400k + 1.6 million agents fee, sold by Grenada for 10 million to Rubin Kazan.

Josh King - 1 million - Let his contract go down until weeks before it ended sold to Bournemouth for 1 million, easily 4-5 million worth now.

Nikola Kalinic - 6 million - few years down the line sold to China for 38.5 million.

Martin Olsson - 2 million - Linked with various clubs in the past from Norwich for 5 million +

Tom Cairney - 3.5 million - Now linked with a 10 million move away.

Yakubu - 1 million - Sold after scoring 20 premier league goals for 1 million.

Scott Dann - 1.5 million - Sold to Palace, became solid under a proper manager, linked with Everton for 10+ and an England cap.

Good post, you can add Alan Judge as well. Let go for peanuts and was the best midfielder in the division before his unfortunate injury.

Archived