BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told by someone who works in the u21 set up at City that they were paying Byrne's wages in full on the promise he would be a regular starter. They supposedly wanted to recall him in November.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised if that were the case.

Tie in with what I've heard about Rovers' contribution to Hendrie's wage, Samuelsen playing with West Ham's U23s whilst at Rovers and Coyle's comments this morning about Emnes its becoming increasingly clear that these people brought in on loan were a case of Rovers having whoever they could get for no money.

No surprise therefore that the 3 kids have turned out to be a complete waste of time as they were never ready for the Championship. Obviously City/West Ham were delighted to send them here even if it meant them stumping up the wages because they thought they would get valuable game time in the Championship which no other club was offering.

This is Rovers squad building 2016/17. Forget about cash buys, forget about medium to long term, any plan of developing anything or building anything, just get bodies in for as cheaply as possible to fill out the squad even if they aren't good enough. Now the process will start again because we're already 3 down on what we started off with and Emnes and Marshall will be next.

Any incomings will be left until the last few days of the window to see which clubs are prepared to loan people out for peanuts.

Presumably this is what Senior has been brought in to do - use his knowledge and contacts to deliver more cheap loans though ones who will actually play games this time.

id say hes brought in to quell the peasants revolting and make it look like the scumdogs are doing something...i wish they would do something involving leaving the gas on at balti towers for 24 hours and greasy slimer lighting for a cigar

I was told by someone who works in the u21 set up at City that they were paying Byrne's wages in full on the promise he would be a regular starter. They supposedly wanted to recall him in November.

I don't see why we aren't looking for a senior affiliate to get a group of 2/3 on loan from same team - benefits us as it's free and we get players who have played together - benefits the team lending players through appearances for their young stars playing with other potential future members of their team.

There's a danger here that we'll be so skint any decent youngsters that start to come through won't stick around long enough to be the next Hanley or even Henley or Lowe they'll be fogged to pay the bills with a raft of add on's. The bills will need paying and of course we know who benefits from this kind of high turnover set up. Get a few quid in quick then let someone develop them, pay their wages then benefit for a million or two if they make the grade and move again.

There's a danger here that we'll be so skint any decent youngsters that start to come through won't stick around long enough to be the next Hanley or even Henley or Lowe they'll be fogged to pay the bills with a raft of add on's. The bills will need paying and of course we know who benefits from this kind of high turnover set up. Get a few quid in quick then let someone develop them, pay their wages then benefit for a million or two if they make the grade and move again.

There's also a danger that good will with other clubs will be lost meaning we can't loan their youngsters either.

But it's still just rumour. I don't see how any club can hope to operate if the have no money to pay any loan fees or loanee wages. Much less how we could turn down an offer of help to run the club, from a local group including a cash injection!

Kalinic set to join Tijuan TEDA for 38.5 million

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2550840/nikola-kalinic-the-latest-name-on-the-verge-of-a-super-league-switch-in-a-staggering-38m-deal/

Cheers Jerome just like Nzonzi you strike again.

How many players have Venkys completely cocked up on? Kalinic, N'Zonzi, Rochina, Modeste, Judge and Dann just off the top of my head...

You could add more recent ones.

Cairney to Fuham for £3 million, now he's being linked to the Premier League and you can bet Fulham will get a lot more than £3 million for him when he does.

Duffy to Brighton for an alleged £4 million last summer, he's going to be in the Premier League soon and will be worth a lot more than that.

If Gestede starts to do the business at Boro he'll end up worth more than the £6 million they reckon we got for him.

It still isn't clear who they are taking advice off. Who told them that the bids for Duffy/Cairney/Hanley were acceptable? Not the manager, not the club's directors, so who? Or do they just pluck a number out of thin air and as soon as the bid reaches that then they cash in?

Its full of flaws and I suppose it is a small consolation knowing all these players they've sold off on the cheap could have been worth so much more to them if they'd have rewarded them with new contracts, fought off other clubs, or shown more patience.

I hope they realise how much cash they've missed out on and I hope it makes them sick, but somehow I bet they haven't even heard of half the players that have played for Rovers over the last few years.

Not sure you can blame the V's about Kalinic, he's not any more worth 38m than Oscar is worth 60m or anyone else worth the ridiculously inflated fees they've been offering. Plus Yakubu performed a lot better than Kalinic did.

Maybe we could tout Marshall round the Chinese Clubs? Must be worth 15m to them with 6 months left on his contract.

The situation with the likes of Emnes and Gallagher is completely different. I can't believe even Coyle and the V's could be so negligent and shortsighted as to put ourselves in the position where we might have to reconstitute our forward line halfway through January.

I was wondering how Coyle managed to attract decent players like Emnes and Gallagher whereas Bowyer was signing dross like Brown, Delfouneso and Verney. Now we know.

Not sure you can blame the V's about Kalinic, he's not any more worth 38m than Oscar is worth 60m or anyone else worth the ridiculously inflated fees they've been offering. Plus Yakubu performed a lot better than Kalinic did.

Maybe we could tout Marshall round the Chinese Clubs? Must be worth 15m to them with 6 months left on his contract.

The situation with the likes of Ernest and Gallagher is completely different. I can't believe even Coyle and the V's could be so negligent and shortsighted as to put ourselves in the position where we might have to reconstitute our forward line halfway through January.

I was wondering how Coyle managed to attract decent players like Emnes and Gallagher whereas Bowyer was signing dross like Brown, Delfouneso and Verney. Now we know.

The forward line is not the problem. Leaking goals is the problem

The forward line is not the problem. Leaking goals is the problem

It will be if we stop scoring. On the assumption the defence isn't going to improve that much I'd say our only hope is to outscore the opposition often enough to scrape to safety.

The situation with the likes of Emnes and Gallagher is completely different. I can't believe even Coyle and the V's could be so negligent and shortsighted as to put ourselves in the position where we might have to reconstitute our forward line halfway through January.

If someone is willing to pay it they are worth it...

If someone is willing to pay it they are worth it...

Normally I'd agree but the figures the Chinese are having to chuck about to attract average/washed up players over there are clearly an exception.

Not sure if one or two are misinterpreting my views on Money ball. I think it is a complete non starter when applied to soccer. Instead of looking at a player and thinking he's decent, you're looking at a set of stats first and foremost and only then seeing if any players are available who fit within the criteria you've specified. Utter nonsense for me but if there's a whole industry of 1m per annum plus jobs ready to be created by pretending the money ball system is the best thing since sliced bread then proponents of it will be pushing it for all it's worth.

I may be wrong but I was also under the impression that Warburton left Brentford because of differences over future policy in that he didn't want to go down an almost exclusively money ball route. And imo their fortunes have declined significantly as a result.

Archived