BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

It is good news that we are offering terms to some of the young lads and this may be the way forward from here on in. The big question is, can we survive beyond March, or have Venky's got one more nasty shock in store for us?

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true. Would like to see Doyle in the 1st team match day squad and be our 2nd choice left back

If these two played first team football then philipl's premonition of Rovers dropping out of the footballing league becomes ever more reality.

I'm putting my neck on the block but I will say it. Connor Thomson will never hold a place down in the rover's team whatever league we are in and will disappear to the outer reaches of the footballing pyramid turning up in 8-9 years time on the BBC in the first round of the fa cup in a team that would class beating a Tranmere type team as a giant killing

Is Wes Brown old and bold ?

Just old

On Morris - Great crosser, but no one could predict his fortune at L1 with Scunny, saying that Alexander is a top manager at that level, wouldn't mind him next year, Fleetwood/Pilley must be wondering WTF! Didn't he make his debut in the 7-1 at OT? got the assist if i recall correctly? Think Gaz liked him, but sold for 10k to Bradford at the time? Don't think anyone could predict how well he has done now with PNE offering 300k. One paced, but a crosser, very old fashioned for me which is why he is in L1.

Lenihan... He's a filler, nowhere good enough for a champ 11! Let alone BRFC. Gaz knew it and he brought him through. One of only a few with potential, got bite in a tackle if he can be angry enough and stamina wise he will run 90 mins + but both are hardly that technical.

Blimey pal, if Lennihan is a filler, then i wonder what that makes Lowe :P

It is good news that we are offering terms to some of the young lads and this may be the way forward from here on in. The big question is, can we survive beyond March, or have Venky's got one more nasty shock in store for us?

That 50mill transfer war chest is coming i tell ya

If Gourcuff doesn't rate him, I wouldn't. I've watched Gourcuff bring through players like Koscielny, Gameiro, and plenty of others. He can pick players and get teams promoted from lower leagues and keep them in legume 1. If he doesn't want him, I'd worry

I also read that he recently recovered from a cruciate ligament injury, which has kept him out for some time. Sounds like our man!

In other news, the Geordies want Cairney for circa £10 million apparently. Barry must surely be sniffing round a sell on fee here. Goes back to a point I made some time ago - IF we were wise enough to insist on sell on fees for the likes of Cairney, then the V's could be here for quite some time yet. A 15% sell on clause with Cairney would make him our highest valued player!

I also read that he recently recovered from a cruciate ligament injury, which has kept him out for some time. Sounds like our man!

In other news, the Geordies want Cairney for circa £10 million apparently. Barry must surely be sniffing round a sell on fee here. Goes back to a point I made some time ago - IF we were wise enough to insist on sell on fees for the likes of Cairney, then the V's could be here for quite some time yet. A 15% sell on clause with Cairney would make him our highest valued player!

I'd like to think that he'd realise how much money he's missed out on here. We had Cairney and sold him at the first opportunity for £3-4 million, then 18 months later he's being linked with a £10 million move.

Of course a bit more patience and a medium to long term view from our esteemed owners could have seen an extra £6 million flowing into their bank accounts. All they would have had to do is tell Fulham to jog on, give Cairney an extension on improved terms and the job would have been done.

Same principle applies to Duffy and no doubt Marshall in weeks to come.

I'm still excitedly awaiting the interview with our new Football Director.

You'd think the first thing they'd do after appointing someone to supposedly improve the club would be to sit down with him for club media so he can explain his role.

Unless he's on the same course as Pasha....

To be honest I follow French football being half french and supporting Lyon in France and I knew Cavare from his time at Lens. While he played a handful of games he was seen as a good prospect. Under Gourcuff though, he has had the luxury of picking ex Lyon player Zeffane who is a decent RB, as well as regularly changing his formation and Gourcuff prefers using his LB Baal at RB instead.

Is Cavare good enough for us? I think he could be a decent buy at a low cost price that can only go up. I go with the idea that he can only be better than Henley and Lowe at RB!

To be honest I follow French football being half french and supporting Lyon in France and I knew Cavare from his time at Lens. While he played a handful of games he was seen as a good prospect. Under Gourcuff though, he has had the luxury of picking ex Lyon player Zeffane who is a decent RB, as well as regularly changing his formation and Gourcuff prefers using his LB Baal at RB instead.

Is Cavare good enough for us? I think he could be a decent buy at a low cost price that can only go up. I go with the idea that he can only be better than Henley and Lowe at RB!

Putting it like that it might be a goer but loan in first for pitys sake. Not just hand another injury prone part timer a full time deal !

His knee problems are a huge issue though, think I read he's had an ACL reconstruction and further associated surgery since.

I'd like to think that he'd realise how much money he's missed out on here. We had Cairney and sold him at the first opportunity for £3-4 million, then 18 months later he's being linked with a £10 million move.

Of course a bit more patience and a medium to long term view from our esteemed owners could have seen an extra £6 million flowing into their bank accounts. All they would have had to do is tell Fulham to jog on, give Cairney an extension on improved terms and the job would have been done.

Same principle applies to Duffy and no doubt Marshall in weeks to come.

You're giving Cairney way too much credit there. The fee we received for him at the time was an extremely good one for a player who only performed now and then when he felt like it. If he's improved his all round game since he left then good luck to him but we got a decent fee at the time.

Mind you, no -one performed to their potential under Bowyer so if anyone is to blame it's probably him.

I don't think I am. He was unquestionably our most able midfield player, hence why he was the first one that a bid came in for from a rival as they could see his obvious potential. He was only 24 when we sold him so plenty of time on his side to improve and develop and achieve more consistency.

In the end Fulham look like they've had the better of us on this one. They bought him for relative peanuts in today's transfer market, he's gone on to become one of their best players and their Captain as they challenge for the play-offs and just 18 months later is being heavily linked with a move to Newcastle or the Prem for £8-10 million. Shows what a bit of patience can do and seizing an opportunity to sign a player with bags of ability and watch him progress under the right management.

I'm sure Bowyer would have had the sense to realise that £3 million for him wasn't good enough money for one of our prized assets, just like £6 million wasn't good enough money for Gestede at the time when you compare some of the fees flying around in the Championship. Bowyer would have recognised the importance of keeping such people at the club as his value was only going to rise with more experience.

Whether it was pure greed on the part of the owners that they snatched the cash as soon as it was on the table or brought about by more pressing financial issues that needed resolving quickly I suppose we'll never know, but for now we can almost certainly add Cairney to the list of people quickly removed from BRFC who have gone on to better things since and have become worth a lot more money. Marshall and Duffy will be next, mark my words. Not many people moaning when they are sold but in years to come they'll be worth a lot more than we got for them and will play at a higher level than we're at in the near future.

You're giving Cairney way too much credit there. The fee we received for him at the time was an extremely good one for a player who only performed now and then when he felt like it. If he's improved his all round game since he left then good luck to him but we got a decent fee at the time.

Mind you, no -one performed to their potential under Bowyer so if anyone is to blame it's probably him.

How can selling an asset for £3 million when in 2 year's time it is worth £10 million be 'extremely good'? I swear you only come on here to wind people up.

Archived