BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Backlash...?

Judging by some of the videos surfacing on Facebook groups at the minute, is there a darker element about to return to Rovers as a biproduct of the lack of respect from the club?

Disenfranchised, ignored and with no sense that things are going to get better, there seems to be a younger generation who are getting just a bit rowdier and more, dare I say, aggressive in nature. I really hope we aren't going to see a return to the early 80s football fan mentality. Disaffected young blokes with a lot of pent up hate and no outlet.

Early signs are that it will be vented in part at Coyie but if we have a few poor games and/or results, I worry that things could get very ugly. Especially if we are going to see a lot of those who won't return to Ewood using their ST money to sell out away match allocations and making the most of their numbers.

"We'll Do What We Want" seems to be the early mantra. Always reminds me of arrogant United fans.

Hope this isn't going to get worse.

• Backroom

Possible but from some reports from yesterday it sounds like the kind of game that attracts *retracted* who can't particularly handle their ale. Wigan and Bolton away have been similar before.

Saw a tale of a group of young rovers fans abusing a young lad on the train home until a girl stepped in to defend him and they turned on her then. She herself posted this on Twitter.

Wigan away will be interesting as it always seems to be a barometer of our fans mood because you usually get such a big mix of support going there.

Get thumped off Norwich then struggle at the DW and I think it will go off there won't be much patience this season with a prime target in the dugout. We need to remember though it's not down to him the focus must be on those responsible for this and if it kicks off it needs to be solely in their direction and it needs to be relentless.

I tend to think you have to keep these things in perspective. We're the target of many local rivals' "soft" jibes for a reason, and I used to see the odd stat in the Premiership that put us amongst the fewest arrests in the league alongside Fulham. If we're getting worse then we're probably still nowhere near some others. I randomly asked a Leeds steward at an away match a few years ago what Burnley fans were like when they went there, he just grimaced and said "nightmare".

Obviously its not something we want to see but apart from a few morons with no backbone acting up, the only time I've seen personally of Rovers fans getting nasty was away at Bolton in a midweek game a few years ago, and I suspect that was largely down to Blackburn Youth being there.

It's funny this thread has turned up. Earlier I was talking to my mate about Saturdays protest, I told him how I was actually glad I wasn't going into the game and was also talking to him about some of the behaviour of many of our fans... Who (like him) I find embarrassing, not just the one who refused to shake my hand because he was pro Venkys (Jesus Christ).

For those still choosing to attend, please don't take this the wrong way... I was saying how now many supporters have chosen to boycott there is a large percentage of fans left that have little better to do that just get on the ale and go to football, we all know these supporters commonly exist in most clubs fan bases but their behaviour and general demeanour seems more prominent now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a square or anything, I enjoy a chant and a beer but there's a difference between enjoying yourself and getting leathered and acting like a @#/?.

It's a difficult situation to not attend and judge because some of them I actually admire, no matter the absolute @#/? they get served up to them by numerous managers, from the owners and cretins like Cheston... They support Rovers throughout it. Perhaps some just do it out of habit, or out of love for the ale, perhaps they don't care about all the behind the scenes stuff and the bigger picture. Many of them just don't strike me as the intelligent types to say the least and I think their lack of understanding of whats actually going on the club is being taken advantage of. Since the lack of support of the protests under Kean I lost a lot of respect for our fans which I don't think will ever come back. As I was stood there on Saturday, I was torn between respect to those who support through thick and thin knowing the full severity of the goings on at Rovers and resentment towards the thickos who seem to love the ale and general moronic behaviour and thinking "you lot deserve Venkys". Season after season I get more alienated from the club I used to know and love and to be honest I don't feel good about standing shoulder to shoulder with some of these people. I respect people like Parson, a credit to the club and I'm no way digging him out here as I'm only using his opinions out of respect because I feel they carry weight and worth but... I recently saw him say something like "it's still Blackburn Rovers" and whilst that may be true in name and shirt, I personally feel it's almost unrecognisable in every other aspect. I feel shame, disillusioned, apathetic, dejected and exhausted being a Rovers fan these days.

No real point here, just my feelings.

Neal, its a really shame you feel like you do cos you are a very good poster on here and speak with alot of sense.

I respect you and your opinions on this.

Can I say that I dont go to football/Rovers to drink or to get leathered. I dont drink most of the time. My next drink with be in Newcastle in November most likely..

I go cos I enjoyed watching Rovers and Football. Plus spending time with family and a couple of friends discussing Rovers, football, etc.

Its a personal choice to boycott or to attend a protest and I respect their opinions.

Judging by some of the videos surfacing on Facebook groups at the minute, is there a darker element about to return to Rovers as a biproduct of the lack of respect from the club?

Disenfranchised, ignored and with no sense that things are going to get better, there seems to be a younger generation who are getting just a bit rowdier and more, dare I say, aggressive in nature. I really hope we aren't going to see a return to the early 80s football fan mentality. Disaffected young blokes with a lot of pent up hate and no outlet.

Early signs are that it will be vented in part at Coyie but if we have a few poor games and/or results, I worry that things could get very ugly. Especially if we are going to see a lot of those who won't return to Ewood using their ST money to sell out away match allocations and making the most of their numbers.

"We'll Do What We Want" seems to be the early mantra. Always reminds me of arrogant United fans.

Hope this isn't going to get worse.

To be honest Stuart, this has been creeping back for quite a number of years now at away matches, particularly those games with a large away following. It's the last thing the club needs at this point in time. The behaviour of these fans has nothing to do with football but just mindless behaviour driven by alcohol. The seventies were horrendous for football supporters with everyone being branded a potential hooligan and, as a result, the policing was extreme on many away trips. If we returned to those days you would see thousands walk away from the club never to return - Venkys or no Venkys.

To be honest Stuart, this has been creeping back for quite a number of years now at away matches, particularly those games with a large away following. It's the last thing the club needs at this point in time. The behaviour of these fans has nothing to do with football but just mindless behaviour driven by alcohol. The seventies were horrendous for football supporters with everyone being branded a potential hooligan and, as a result, the policing was extreme on many away trips. If we returned to those days you would see thousands walk away from the club never to return - Venkys or no Venkys.

Thousands have walked away already PB with intentions never to return - something I have mentioned before about it not being losing them but trying to get them back - something which just won't happen for a lot ( Abbey aside)

However, maybe its because of the loons this is what we have become and are attracting...

Whilst the cats away the mice will play etc

But we wouldn't be allowed to say that would we?

Not dismissing the comments but its nothing new amongst young 'uns following football teams and will always be the case ... just stands out more at Rovers currently

Most of us know where the blame lies.....

I think it's more to do with it being trendy to be a (faux) casual these days, go to grounds up and down the country and they're full of try hard wannabe kids who've begged their mums to buy them a Stone Island jumper and a pair of Adidas re-issues to then stand around posturing for photos on Facebook and the like. The vast majority of these kids couldn't fight sleep. They seem to think watching the remake of the firm and pulling your knock of Aquascutum scarf over your face makes you a somebody at the match. I would say we are a million miles away from returning to the 80's,

• Moderation Lead

I think it's more to do with it being trendy to be a (faux) casual these days, go to grounds up and down the country and they're full of try hard wannabe kids who've begged their mums to buy them a Stone Island jumper and a pair of Adidas re-issues to then stand around posturing for photos on Facebook and the like. The vast majority of these kids couldn't fight sleep. They seem to think watching the remake of the firm and pulling your knock of Aquascutum scarf over your face makes you a somebody at the match. I would say we are a million miles away from returning to the 80's,

This nails it for me.

The amount of kids that are admittedly very well turned out in expensive gear that has long been associated with hooligans (Stone Island, Adidas trainers etc), but it's largely from middle class kids whose parents can actually afford to buy it with ease.

No chance of a return to those days I don't think. As said it's the booze driven culture not really hoolies at all although they think they are. It's part and parcel now to be in the pub at breakfast time on an away trip and take the jagger or vodka with them on the coach/train instead of what used to be a few cans.

Posturing and mouthing behind lines of stewards, police and netted off blocks of seats. Compare to say the old Maine Road where if you gave the Kippax the come on from the away section they literally did. I'd love to see these lot acting up today at places like that :lol:

Agreed, The trouble is that these kids who just want to dress in trendy clobber then get targeted by the real hoolies and learn a valuable lesson. Kids who really don't want to fight being set on by some grisly old yobs. Not pleasant to see.

This nails it for me.

The amount of kids that are admittedly very well turned out in expensive gear that has long been associated with hooligans (Stone Island, Adidas trainers etc), but it's largely from middle class kids whose parents can actually afford to buy it with ease.

My point exactly, it's posturing middle class kids whose parents will buy it for them and are doing all the taunting safe in the knowledge they're not going to getting a shoeing on a train station platform.

I was in Originals in Preston on Saturday (always worn Stone Island as it's good gear) and it was full of middle class kids spending their parents money, there was one lad actually with him mum being bought a CP jumper. Christ, I had to save for months and months as a kid to get anything CP or Stone Island.

No chance of a return to those days I don't think. As said it's the booze driven culture not really hoolies at all although they think they are. It's part and parcel now to be in the pub at breakfast time on an away trip and take the jagger or vodka with them on the coach/train instead of what used to be a few cans.

They still play The Stones on away trips? Blimey they've taken the retro thing a bit too far there haven't they?

Anyone remember Preston away before and after the match last year? We took 6,000, swamped the stadium and in all likelihood swamped the pubs, but you couldn't really tell as in every single one I was in all the Rovers fans were being careful and keeping their heads down. No songs, no colours, the only sign of any aggro I came across was in one pub overhearing a group of Preston fans talking about finding some Rovers fans to t***.

As has been said the kids don't make a peep unless they're stood behind a line of police/stewards and on the genuine hooligans front I'd say we still have considerably less than most other clubs.

But I accept someone doesn't have to be fighting to display anti-social qualities. I've had a few heated arguments with away fans in the past who were viciously abusing the likes of Pedersen and Big Sam and then started threatening me so it's not exactly new the pathetic treatment Coyle got at Blackpool. As has been said just idiots with zero IQ who are pretty much smashed by the time they get in the ground. It's a tricky one to solve though.

Neal, its a really shame you feel like you do cos you are a very good poster on here and speak with alot of sense.

I respect you and your opinions on this.

Can I say that I dont go to football/Rovers to drink or to get leathered. I dont drink most of the time. My next drink with be in Newcastle in November most likely..

I go cos I enjoyed watching Rovers and Football. Plus spending time with family and a couple of friends discussing Rovers, football, etc.

Its a personal choice to boycott or to attend a protest and I respect their opinions.

Its good that you do Chaddy, i'm glad there are Rovers fans that still choose to go that still get enjoyment out of it. Theres nothing wrong with going footy ajd having a booze up, it's just some of the bahviour from some of them thats poor.

It all boils down to what happens on the pitch for most people i suppose but unfortunately our off field issues affect what we see on the pitch... Like Hanley leaving. Totally hope Coyle performs some sort of magic and gets us up the table like Brighton last season, it would be a much deserved break for our fans. Hopefully some of the boycotters (like me) will enjoy a few beers and away day wins this season.

On the casuals thing. A guy who designs for Adidas called Gary Aspden is from Darwen, they reissue a lot of classic adidas stuff, they even released a jacket called 'The Harwood'... You can follow him on instagram for those who have it, he's also mates with people like Ian Brown and Liam Gallagher. I've met quite a lot of young lads who taken to the whole 'casual' thing and the attitude that goes with it. Some actually even call themselves 'spezials' after the style of trainer and make flags with their club badge 'Rovers Spezials'. It's not the clothes that are the issue, I own a bit of Adidas, it's the attitude that they choose to take with it. In some ways I empathise, growing up in a town with no nightlife, nothing to do and the only thing there was to be proud of is slowly being distroyed in front of them... They're a product of their environment, much like many of them were back in the 70'/80's but they wont be anywhere near as bad.

• Moderation Lead

Its good that you do Chaddy, i'm glad there are Rovers fans that still choose to go that still get enjoyment out of it. Theres nothing wrong with going footy ajd having a booze up, it's just some of the bahviour from some of them thats poor.

It all boils down to what happens on the pitch for most people i suppose but unfortunately our off field issues affect what we see on the pitch... Like Hanley leaving. Totally hope Coyle performs some sort of magic and gets us up the table like Brighton last season, it would be a much deserved break for our fans. Hopefully some of the boycotters (like me) will enjoy a few beers and away day wins this season.

On the casuals thing. A guy who designs for Adidas called Gary Aspden is from Darwen, they reissue a lot of classic adidas stuff, they even released a jacket called 'The Harwood'... You can follow him on instagram for those who have it, he's also mates with people like Ian Brown and Liam Gallagher. I've met quite a lot of young lads who taken to the whole 'casual' thing and the attitude that goes with it. Some actually even call themselves 'spezials' after the style of trainer and make flags with their club badge 'Rovers Spezials'. It's not the clothes that are the issue, I own a bit of Adidas, it's the attitude that they choose to take with it. In some ways I empathise, growing up in a town with no nightlife, nothing to do and the only thing there was to be proud of is slowly being distroyed in front of them... They're a product of their environment, much like many of them were back in the 70'/80's but they wont be anywhere near as bad.

Good knowledge Neal! Gary Aspden has named a lot of his designed clothes after areas around here. (Settend Spezial, Harwood, Haslingden etc). His instagram is worth a follow, you're right!

Gary Aspden is a really sound bloke, met him loads of times at various events. One of the collections was named solely on East Lancs places of interest, there was another jacket called the Mellor. He still goes to Rovers, mainly aways, saw him at Bolton away last season with a load of the old proper 'faces' that would scare half the indetikit wannabe casual kids kids half to death

Archived