BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich Town Vs. Rovers - 14/1/17

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also say poor concentration and not fit enough as well as poor preparation and motivation plays a huge part. A lot of that points to the manager and coaching staff although after a decent start and one or two bright spots these lot were pretty much the same attitude wise under Lambert.

Skint club with no depth to the squad means auto selection for a lot. Clubs no ambition and no options and has managers just winging it or who throw in the towel because of lack of backing. Players know this so they mostly just coast along some just picking up a wage others waiting to leave.

Simple answer is yes. The minute I stop enjoying following the Rovers is the minute I walk away from it. .

I believe that things will, at some point, change for the better.

at some point things will take a turn for the better. .

I've always admired your faith. Are you actually a Parson ?

But before Kevin Gallacher even spoke they asked Andy Bayes about last year's accounts. He said he wanted to know what was going on to actually reduce the debt not slow the increase in debt. He also wanted to know now that all the crown jewels have been sold what the plan was?

He didn't criticise but he asked a few of the questions, Rovers wanted to hear the answers for. Shame he hasn't asked them at Ewood and got answers.

If he wants to know the answer to these questions, then surely it's time he got in touch with someone, who can give him them. Of course they will say, we don't know, but we have asked the owners and are waiting for a reply.

Tyrone hit the nail on the head. The players are making individual mistakes as they are not good enough. Poor players will make mistakes hence why they are poor players.

Our players are no worse than the players of teams a lot higher in the league than us. It's far too simplistic just to write them off as poor players who make mistakes. They are making mistakes because of their lack of organisation, and possibly lack of fitness.

I was reading something t'other week about Big Sam's time at Sunderland. He'd go into training and physically manhandle senior Pro's to get them into the correct body position for defending different scenario's. He also improved their individual defending by teaching them to 'think like defenders'. as one of them put it. He repeat defending drills till it became 2nd nature for the players.That's what good managers do, they spot weaknesses, improve players and improve teams.

Coyle may do these things but I very much doubt it. His comments the other week about not changing his 'attacking' philosophy even though we concede 3 goals most games were indicative of a bloke who doesn't grasp the seriousness of our position, or doesn't know how to resolve it. I'm guessing it's the latter. Coyle strikes me as a manager who relies on 'positive' thinking and an enthusiastic approach rather than offering anything tangible that the players can improve and learn from.

A tub thumper who has a host of viable excuses because of our situation if we go down. He won't be losing much sleep but he's never ever been a guy who has a plan B.

The recent getting everyone defending deeper suited because of the type of opponents in Newcastle & Hudds because of their possession side ways passing games. They naturally force you back anyway and we had some luck for the first time this season as well as key players putting a good shift in. Now back to championship basics bread and butter teams and it's back to the same casual dozy performances.

As the old saying goes seasons are judged over the whole length not a couple of great results. It ain't looking good and it hasn't from the very start, writing is on the wall.

Just seen the goals. No one picking up at the back post from a corner for 2nd goal. Basics. 3rd goal was our textbook no cover from midfield but with the FLAB playing there that's hardly a surprise is it.

We never cover the posts from corners or free kicks and how many do we concede from it? It's very poor tactics and the manager is to blame for it. The first goal today would have been easily cleared by a defender on the post. I've made this comment before.

Simple answer is yes. The minute I stop enjoying following the Rovers is the minute I walk away from it. Make no mistake I'm fully aware that these are difficult times brought about by an ownership that simply has no feeling or regard for the club they have bought. However, like most football supporters I believe that things will, at some point, change for the better. Things may very well have to get worse before they get better, but at some point things will take a turn for the better. This season finishing fourth from bottom is the main goal. A far cry from the point when the owners took over but we are where we are, as they say. My main hope for retaining Championship status is that it will be easier to find a buyer when the present bunch leave for whatever reason.

You would walk away if you stopped enjoying the football? Amazing statement on several levels.

Never had you down as a pro-boycotter. ^_^

I read that as pretty damming from you parsons blue.

You read correctly Jal.

You would walk away if you stopped enjoying the football? Amazing statement on several levels.

Never had you down as a pro-boycotter. ^_^

I've never stopped enjoying football from my first match watching the likes of Clayton, Woods, McGrath etc. and I don't anticipate ever stopping enjoying it Stuart. There is always something to enjoy about football even if not from your own team.

I've never stopped enjoying football from my first match watching the likes of Clayton, Woods, McGrath etc. and I don't anticipate ever stopping enjoying it Stuart. There is always something to enjoy about football even if not from your own team.

That must have been sorely tested at least two or three times in recent years!

I'd also say poor concentration and not fit enough as well as poor preparation and motivation plays a huge part. A lot of that points to the manager and coaching staff although after a decent start and one or two bright spots these lot were pretty much the same attitude wise under Lambert.

Skint club with no depth to the squad means auto selection for a lot. Clubs no ambition and no options and has managers just winging it or who throw in the towel because of lack of backing. Players know this so they mostly just coast along some just picking up a wage others waiting to leave.

Spot on.

Someone said once 'the harder I practice the luckier I get'

Our players are no worse than the players of teams a lot higher in the league than us. It's far too simplistic just to write them off as poor players who make mistakes. They are making mistakes because of their lack of organisation, and possibly lack of fitness.

I was reading something t'other week about Big Sam's time at Sunderland. He'd go into training and physically manhandle senior Pro's to get them into the correct body position for defending different scenario's. He also improved their individual defending by teaching them to 'think like defenders'. as one of them put it. He repeat defending drills till it became 2nd nature for the players.That's what good managers do, they spot weaknesses, improve players and improve teams.

Coyle may do these things but I very much doubt it. His comments the other week about not changing his 'attacking' philosophy even though we concede 3 goals most games were indicative of a bloke who doesn't grasp the seriousness of our position, or doesn't know how to resolve it. I'm guessing it's the latter. Coyle strikes me as a manager who relies on 'positive' thinking and an enthusiastic approach rather than offering anything tangible that the players can improve and learn from.

It some ways I agree. If your players have limited decision making skills you have to try to limit the decisions they have to make. They have to be drilled into when to stick and when to twist. You have a simple, uncomplicated method of play and you insist that the players stick to it rigidly. That's what Dyche has done at the dingles. Of course it helps if you know your best 11 and that you can play them most of the time.

I remember us playing QPR at Ewood on a wet day right at the end of Kiddo's time here. We were losing 1-0 with about 5 minutes left for play. QPR cleared the ball beyond Christian Dailly out towards the wing in our half.He set off after the ball with a QPR forward jogging behind him. What happened next was right in front of me.

Any well drilled player would have put the ball out for a throw in. It's galling because you'll know they'll take an age to take the throw in and run the clock down but on a slippy pitch with an opponent behind you it's a no brainer !

What did he do ? He tried turning with the ball, slipped, and lost possession just like I knew he would. The QPR player then squared the ball to an un-marked colleague and it's 2-0. Game over.

Dumb, dumb football that told me all I needed to know about Dailly and Kiddo. Luckily Jack blew Kidd out the following week.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15024235._We_gifted_them_the_three_points____Owen_Coyle__on_Ipswich_Town_3_Blackburn_Rovers_2/

How do you say oh well the ball went under the wall without thinking first.... how can a ball go under a wall ?

Isn't that how Mulgrew scored?...if I am wrong, well a lot has happened since then....

He's an embarrassment as a Captain and if those transfer rumours this morning have any truth to them (although I very much think it's BS) then we should book his taxi now. Horrible player who is a symbol of our decline.

One of the reports describes Lowe as "popular at Blackburn" and as having "the potential to step up to the Premier League". Is this a wind-up or written by his agent?

Exactly this. Coyle and his agents in the media are attempting to portray the flow of goals against us as a temporary problem brought about by injuries/mistakes/bad luck etc. etc. I don't accept that. If you look at Coyle's career it has been a common theme that his teams concede plenty of goals and he's never overcome that.

Simple fact is he is incapable of setting a team up that will be defensively solid and hard to break down. This has been the case at every club he has managed at and with countless players at his disposal, and isn't something that has just come about through bad luck or circumstances at Rovers. If the person/people who appointed Coyle had held any interest in getting the best man for the job they would have researched these sort of things and realised that he's utterly incapable of doing it. He's a one trick pony that only has one way of working and only knows one way of doing things. Inevitably if you play enough games, especially in this poor standard league, then there will be times when freak/unexpected results come about, but these are one in eight or so and are swiftly followed by a return to normal service.

Keeping clean sheets and being hard to break down can be achieved with the poorest of squads. Its the basics - organisation, discipline, attitude and fitness (mentally and physically). I'm afraid this squad has very little of any of those elements crucial to grinding out results on a regular basis. The number of preventable goals conceded, particularly in the latter stages of games this season, isn't down to misfortune, referees or a disproportionate number of mistakes. Its to do with being set up to give nothing away, being resilient, hanging on when under pressure, having the nous and discipline to take a point away from home when you're at 0-0 or 1-1 with ten minutes to go, being as fit as the opposition rather than being dead on our feet as is often the case.

As you say, Coyle's approach is built on positivity and enthusiasm rather than fitness and organisation. No doubt there is always a decent spirit around the camp, the lads probably train with a smile on their faces and everyone gets along fine. This approach worked in the short term at Burnley and Bolton because he inherited underachieving squads short on confidence that had been shackled by defensive minded managers in Cotterill and Megson and brought everyone together and got them playing with smiles on their faces. No doubt the players loved the change in culture he delivered to start with. Initially it worked a treat until it started to wear off and his poor fitness and tactical approach took hold and the wheels came off.

Of course we all recognise and accept the difficult conditions at the club. Conditions that Coyle would have been aware of when throwing himself into the job and conditions that his predecessor wasn't prepared to accept. But things like not being able to defend properly, not having any organisation or resilience, not having a game plan or being able to keep clean sheets can't really be blamed on Venkys. Both Bowyer and Lambert knew the importance of clean sheets in this league, Lambert attached great weight to fitness and being fitter than the opposition, it was clear last season that he had them fitter than they had been before he arrived. Now we play and we look unfit and disorganised. This plonker can't or won't do anything to sort it out.

Archived