BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Owl in peace

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't want to get into the game of blaming the officials. I know that's what Coyle would want us all to do and think that poor Rovers are 2nd bottom of the league because of things beyond our control, which is nonsense.

But, the actions of the officials in the last 20 minutes in particular were scandalous, and at the very least they should be suspended from games and investigated for their conduct. No denying that by the letter of the law Akpan should have had a red card. As soon as you react like that and make contact with the referee you leave yourself open to having the book thrown at you. But for the referee to go into the territory of simulation in an attempt to make Akpan's conduct appear worse than it was is a disgrace and he should be taken to disciplinary for that alone. Watching the referee's reaction you'd think he'd been shoved a la Di Canio all those years ago. I haven't seen a replay of the one that might have crossed the line but my immediate reaction was that it hadn't gone in. As usual the linesman was about 10-15 yards off the goalline when the ball landed so he couldn't/wouldn't have given it anyway.

Very much usual service in the game. The only surprise was how poor Wednesday were for a so-called top side in this league. It goes to show that everyone is much of a muchness and the resilient and consistent teams are those that rise to the top end. Those that are inconsistent in performances, selection, application and concede soft goals every week are the ones who drop. Bucket loads of possession as is often the case but with very little end product, a lack of urgency and no penetration. Countless occasions where we get forward into a decent position before the ball ends up back with our CBs and so begins another 5-10 pass routine with little to show for it.

We only seem to really play with any real urgency in the last 10-15 minutes when trailing in a game. It happened at Rotherham and probably our 2 best chances came in that spell, it happened again last night. Only when we're staring down the barrel of another defeat then we suddenly seem to apply pressure and look dangerous.

That's twice we've played Wednesday this season with 0 points to show for it despite being arguably the best side for the majority of both games. Yet they can defend properly for large spells when under pressure and take their chances when they do come along.

Walking back to the car afterwards we spoke to two different Sheffield Wednesday fans who both said they couldn't believe we were 2nd bottom and couldn't believe we'd lost last night. Very easy to say when you've just got away with a win when not playing well I suppose, but I do think it shows that this squad has the ability in its ranks to cause problems in this league and the installation of a manager who can drill the team to defend better and stop giving away goals every week would give us a better chance of survival.

Great post. Thanks for that. 

Slow starts and coming out dozy in the second half has killed us this season. Only one person responsible for that. 

Referees diving now. Absolutely scandalous. Should be banned. 

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mercerman said:

There are a few us around Parsonblue who have seen every relegation since 65-66.  I'm a tad more optimistic than you on this one.  Despite Coyley, we've enough quality in the likes of Mulgrew, Gallagher, Graham supported by the likes of Lenihan, Hoban. Evans and Bennett to scrape through this by the skin of our teeth given a fair run with injuries.  The facts are we've put in some decent performances, especially against the better teams, we aren't getting walloped, we aren't cut adrift (it's so tight down there) and I believe just 46 points will keep us up so 17 points from 15 games shouldn't be too much of a stretch (some posters thinking we need 50 to 55 points is ridiculous).  Yep, I think a change of manager would be an enormous boost but even Coyley will just about get us through this.  Keep the faith.

That is provided the players keep believing. Enough bad luck and results against us and that will fade. I saw it the season we went down under Kean. 

I hope you are right. 

The referee was guilty of simulation. He grossly overreacted to Akpan's contact in a deliberate attempt to make the incident appear worse than it was. Why I don't know because he didn't need to stumble backwards in such a theatrical way to justify the red card, unless he wanted to convince a watching assessor in the stands that he was right to act. Or like many referees these days just enjoys being the centre of the performance and couldn't resist the opportunity.

We're in an era of footballers over-reacting and diving all the time and the authorities claim they want to stop it, so to see a League referee doing similar is sickening.

We've started feeling sorry for ourselves. That's fatal in football. The school I went to had a small 6th form so the first 11 had two sixth formers in it and the rest of us were 5th formers. The other schools we played had it more or less the other way around. A year at 16 is a massive step up. As a consequence of this age differential we were getting beaten more or less every week. After a while you get used to going behind after about 15 minutes, you stop getting angry when  you start leaking goals, you get used to losing, you start feeling sorry for yourself.

That's what's happening at Rovers now and I it's being going on most of the time for the last 6 years. We needed new people in who aren't wedded to losing. Unfortunately this hasn't happened.

Just now, JHRover said:

The referee was guilty of simulation. He grossly overreacted to Akpan's contact in a deliberate attempt to make the incident appear worse than it was. Why I don't know because he didn't need to stumble backwards in such a theatrical way to justify the red card, unless he wanted to convince a watching assessor in the stands that he was right to act. Or like many referees these days just enjoys being the centre of the performance and couldn't resist the opportunity.

We're in an era of footballers over-reacting and diving all the time and the authorities claim they want to stop it, so to see a League referee doing similar is sickening.

Akpan must have serious electricity in his finger tips or something, pity it's not in his head on defensive situations.

Ref should be hammered though for that but he won't be.

• Backroom

Keith Hackett has called for an 11 game ban adding:

“What happened next stirred an echo of an unwelcome piece of history on the same ground.  Blackburn’s Hope Akpan ran towards the referee and with both hands pushed him in the chest in a clear assault on the official.

“Duncan, although taken by surprise, was able to maintain his balance and not fall backwards on to the field."

What a load of nonsense 

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Keith Hackett has called for an 11 game ban adding:

“What happened next stirred an echo of an unwelcome piece of history on the same ground.  Blackburn’s Hope Akpan ran towards the referee and with both hands pushed him in the chest in a clear assault on the official.

“Duncan, although taken by surprise, was able to maintain his balance and not fall backwards on to the field."

What a load of nonsense 

I think it was Michael Owen, who once said, if someone brushes against you in a nightclub and you drop to the floor, people would wonder what you were on. He was referring to a soft penalty decision at the time, but this seems to be as big an over reaction. For Hackett to suggest an 11 game ban is fine, but do they have enough referees for one to be out that long. :) 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Walking back to the car afterwards we spoke to two different Sheffield Wednesday fans who both said they couldn't believe we were 2nd bottom and couldn't believe we'd lost last night. Very easy to say when you've just got away with a win when not playing well I suppose, but I do think it shows that this squad has the ability in its ranks to cause problems in this league and the installation of a manager who can drill the team to defend better and stop giving away goals every week would give us a better chance of survival.

Just took this part to save space, overall good post but this bit just sums up the Owen Coyle factor.

Some good players, luxury of an academy that's giving us players with potential, probably one of top training and sport science and physio facilities in league. Lots of factors that a pragmatic, forward thinking manager would benefit from.

We've needed to grind out results since September, and we've never managed it. We aren't cut adrift because this league is open, even the heavily invested teams look suspect.

For the love god, sack this clown and let ANYBODY try, because the Coyle factor is taking us down (whilst we might look ok) faster than Kean even managed.

Id give a testicle to see even Damien Johnson a go!

Just now, Jbizzle said:

Just took this part to save space, overall good post but this bit just sums up the Owen Coyle factor.

Some good players, luxury of an academy that's giving us players with potential, probably one of top training and sport science and physio facilities in league. Lots of factors that a pragmatic, forward thinking manager would benefit from.

We've needed to grind out results since September, and we've never managed it. We aren't cut adrift because this league is open, even the heavily invested teams look suspect.

For the love god, sack this clown and let ANYBODY try, because the Coyle factor is taking us down (whilst we might look ok) faster than Kean even managed.

Id give a testicle to see even Damien Johnson a go!

Reminds me of a song...........part of which would go....

Cheston's got two but small

And

Coylio's got none at all....

Edit: needs work to include at least Balaji

We all know what the problems are, we have scored in 18 out of the last 19 games and have two strikers in double figures, however the defence is a shambles, we've replaced duffy, hanley at centre back, with two OAP's and a crock who isn't even a centre back, Marshall at right back with Nyambe, and Ollson at left back with ?? Derek Frigging Williams - and we've conceeded 28 goals in those 19 games.

There is the obvious problem and one which won't be sorted and one which will result in a relegation.

Just seen it and read Hackett the senile mouthpiece for another corrupt bunch of xxxxx.

I think that they will hang Akpan out to dry especially re his tweets. Footballers should be banned from social media.

And there was sfa wrong with his good well taken goal.

If the sanchez handball was ok then this one warranted no discussion.

Full time professional refs dont make me laugh. Turds.

It doesn't look like he is going to be sacked. If we don't beat Burton I don't think there is anyway they can keep him in the job. A change will have to be made. I'm just afraid it will be another draw and they will continue limping on with coyle in charge. Too many similarities to the season Kean took us down. Appointing a new manger now or even after the Burton game at the latest would still give us a chance of starting up. I would be cautious about Johnson or Dunn though. Remember how shearer went at Newcastle?

I just can't think of a standout candidate currently available. All our bloody rivals have snapped them up. 

Seriously,would Tugay be out of the question? 

Appointing Johnson or Dunn at this juncture would be another silly, money orientated decision. They probably would be better than Coyle and would certainly get more fans rallying behind them, but with 15 games to go in a relegation dogfight it isn't the right time for them.

We need tried and tested experience with a big bonus for survival. Been there, done that, know how to grind out results in this league. Someone like Neil Warnock.....

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Appointing a new manger now or even after the Burton game at the latest would still give us a chance of starting up. I would be cautious about Johnson or Dunn though. Remember how shearer went at Newcastle?

And then you say....

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't look like he is going to be sacked. If we don't beat Burton I don't think there is anyway they can keep him in the job. A change will have to be made. I'm just afraid it will be another draw and they will continue limping on with coyle in charge. Too many similarities to the season Kean took us down. Appointing a new manger now or even after the Burton game at the latest would still give us a chance of starting up. I would be cautious about Johnson or Dunn though. Remember how shearer went at Newcastle?

I just can't think of a standout candidate currently available. All our bloody rivals have snapped them up. 

they have never heard of him,

balaji " we can only afford one guy anyway"

• Mike E unpinned this topic

Just seen the highlights. 

Jason Lowe should be dropped immediately for an absolutely shocking attempt at marking the goalscorer for their first. He just stands on the edge of the area and lets him run off. 

Akpan (who will be banned anyway) likewise. Shocking attempt to defend that corner, lets his man go far too easily.

On the red card. Laughable stuff from the ref. 

I can see them appointing some foreign coach in a completely ill judged move. Some guy from Portugal or France that nobody has ever heard of. Relegation gets confirmed even quicker than if Coyle was kept on. It would be just the cherry on the cake of the last 6 years under Venkys. 

Queue to morons on now accusing me of standing up for Coyle,being a SEM employee ,being a Dingle,being a wum(I don't even know what that means) being Paul senior and my personal favorite,being Owen Coyles son.

We are still scrapping now,my fear is they get the next appointment so wrong that we drop completely like a stone. Now instead of coming at me and saying "well anyone is better than Coyle you wum etc" Give me the name of a sensible appointment who has the skills and experience to get us out of this. 

Archived