BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

I think we can get a win here in a game that neither side can afford to lose. It's a ll well and good beating Newcastle but we need o beat teams around us.

TM has shown that he can play different styles with on the front foot with possession against Burton to a more on the back foot and breaking well against Derby.

TM has got me looking forward to watching games again, that said we still need #VenkysOut

Rovers 2 Wigan 1 with a real nervous last 10 minutes again.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Steele getting dropped before the end of the season. Every time he booted the ball long on Tuesday TM looked fuming.

Mulgrew and Lenihan looked assured again and I wouldn't want to break that partnership. I think Tomlinson will come in for Guthrie, just going off the managers reactions when he came on against Derby.

It would make you wonder why Eastwood was allowed to leave. I always thought he was decent. 

Lenihan and Mulgrew > Duffy and Hanley 

Discuss :)

I read the other day that we have had 11 different centre half partnerships. That is a ridiculous number. It is no wonder we have been leaking goals. Players need to play together and get to know each others style. 

Wigan's away form this season isn't too bad. Quite an unusual set of results away from home.

Played 17, Lost 9, Drawn 4, Won 4

They've won away at Burton, Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Lost away at Rotherham, QPR, Fulham, Villa, Preston, Norwich, Wednesday, Forest and Bristol City

Draws at Barnsley, Derby, Brentford and Leeds.

They haven't lost by more than 1 goal away from home this season. They've only won by more than 1 goal once and that was at Burton.

Suggests that they are certainly no pushovers, and it will be a tight affair

I'm going for a 0-0. The value of a draw in this one depends on what we get against Cardiff at Ewood next week. 4 points from the 2 games I would be very pleased with. Anything less would be a disappointment. Of course 6 would be ideal and should be the aim.

• Backroom

If we got 6 from those 2, 9 from a 3 home run game it would be remarkable.

On paper Derby are the better team of the 3 and we got through that one, Wigan is the real 'must not lose' of the 3 and one that sets the tone for Cardiff.

7 from 9 would be great 

Championship Trivia Quiz

All data from whoscored.com

1.      Whoscored.com rate all the players every week. Which two former Rovers are in the current top ten?

2.      Right now we have two players in the top 100!!! This is far less than in previous times. Who are they?

3.      Who (among the regular starters) is rated our worst player?

4.      This season, Rhodes and Hanley started the same number of games for their new clubs (Boro and Newcastle). How many?

5.      Who has won most MoM awards for Rovers this season?

6.      In the “form table” (last 6 results) where do we sit?  (I’ll give you one each way!)

7.      Which former Ewood favourite is currently rated the best left back in the division? We will meet him again very soon.

8.      Which Rover has the highest percentage pass rate success? (85%)

9.      Which team has made significantly fewer tackles than any other? (12 per game).

10.  Which team has scored more own goals than any other? (four)

Answers

1.      Duffy (5th), Cairney (10th), 2. DW (62nd), CM (84th), Hoban has the same average score as DW but hasn’t played enough games to be rated, 3. HA (344th out of 360 in total) – just ahead of LF (342nd), 4. Two, 5. SG with five, 6. 11th, 7. Warnock, 8. DG, 9. Rovers, 10. Rovers (Duffy scored 3 of them!)

Sorry about the depressing nature of the last 2 questions. Hopefully that will change now that Duffy has gone and Tony is in charge?

Just now, JHRover said:

Wigan's away form this season isn't too bad. Quite an unusual set of results away from home.

Played 17, Lost 9, Drawn 4, Won 4

They've won away at Burton, Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Lost away at Rotherham, QPR, Fulham, Villa, Preston, Norwich, Wednesday, Forest and Bristol City

Draws at Barnsley, Derby, Brentford and Leeds.

They haven't lost by more than 1 goal away from home this season. They've only won by more than 1 goal once and that was at Burton.

Suggests that they are certainly no pushovers, and it will be a tight affair

I'm going for a 0-0. The value of a draw in this one depends on what we get against Cardiff at Ewood next week. 4 points from the 2 games I would be very pleased with. Anything less would be a disappointment. Of course 6 would be ideal and should be the aim.

That is interesting, puts to bed some of the 3-0 scorelines I was dreaming up.

2 hours ago, tonyoz said:

4.      This season, Rhodes and Hanley started the same number of games for their new clubs (Boro and Newcastle). How many?
4. Two

Two starts for Hanley all season? Knew he wasn't playing a lot but didn't realise he was that much out of favour. One of the starts was on the opening day iirc, so that's 1 league start since early August. He's more than good enough to be playing every week in this league for a team maybe in and around the play offs, if Newcastle go up he wouldn't get much playing time next season either.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

We were having the same conversation last night. I thought Eastwood was looking good. Then Steele arrives.....Agents lol?

During the cup run Eastwood was amazing. Strange he never got a good stint in the side. He seems to be playing well for Oxford at the moment. Appleton doing well also.....

Just now, frosty said:

Two starts for Hanley all season? Knew he wasn't playing a lot but didn't realise he was that much out of favour. One of the starts was on the opening day iirc, so that's 1 league start since early August. He's more than good enough to be playing every week in this league for a team maybe in and around the play offs, if Newcastle go up he wouldn't get much playing time next season either.

The Ewood curse?....Crawford, Bentley,Sutton (Chelsea),Santa Cruz, McCarthy...to name but a few grass greener merchants.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

If we got 6 from those 2, 9 from a 3 home run game it would be remarkable.

On paper Derby are the better team of the 3 and we got through that one, Wigan is the real 'must not lose' of the 3 and one that sets the tone for Cardiff.

7 from 9 would be great 

For what it's worth, Derby are on a very poor run atm. Lost 4 of their last 6 games and drawn the other 2. And only won 2 of their last 10.

• Backroom
Just now, wolfie said:

For what it's worth, Derby are on a very poor run atm. Lost 4 of their last 6 games and drawn the other 2. And only won 2 of their last 10.

Yes and we are normally the soft touch to get teams back into form / end goal droughts etc 

Steele

Lowe Ward Hoban Williams

Bennett Guthrie Mulgrew Conway

Emnes 

Graham

Subs: Raya, Lenihan, Feeney, Mahoney, Stokes, Gallagher, Tomlinson/Nyambe

I know we kept a clean sheet but Hoban and Ward are miles better than Lenihan, and we could use Mulgrew in a position where we are weaker.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Steele

Lowe Ward Hoban Williams

Emnes 

Graham

I know we kept a clean sheet but Hoban and Ward are miles better than Lenihan, and we could use Mulgrew in a position where we are weaker.

would drop Nyambe or Lenihan after their good games on Tuesday and a clean sheet was achieved? Lenihan and Mulgrew were outstanding on Tuesday night and Nyambe was very good at right back But you have never like Nyambe anyway have you? wouldn't risk Ward yet either myself

Very strange thinking.

Surely Mahoney before Bennett?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Steele

Lowe Ward Hoban Williams

Emnes 

Graham

There is no way we can just throw Hogan and Ward in centre back for their first starts in this game. In general I agree about Mulgrew strengthening our midfield,but in our situation we need to build from a sturdy defence. The lads kept a clean sheet the last night and looked solid. 

I wouldn't drop Feeney or Nyambe either. Although Bennet is pushing for a start alright. Good to see some competition for places.  

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Steele

Lowe Ward Hoban Williams

Emnes 

Graham

Ward better than lenihan?Why you dropping Nyambe?

Only change I'd make from midweek is Graham for emmnes and possibly Bennett or Mahoney for Conway

Archived