BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, neophox said:

I think the injury to Lenihan has put it on hold and think they may go for him just before transfer deadline think thats why Mowbray are in for a defender.

I see, anyone have any idea of what Lenihan wants? 

Has he stated whether he wishes to go or not? 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
2 hours ago, McClarky said:

This bloke may or may not be a good player but in general I think loans are a total waste of everybody's time and our money. If he can't get near a game for Leeds yet he's under a decent contract why are we doing them a favour by letting him sit on our bench instead of theirs.

Loaning Gestede, Cairney, Bentley (I'm sure there are others) wasn't a waste of our time.

26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If he plays well for us, he may be ours come Jan or next summer!

And unless he is the league top scorer or something, I expect he will be cheaper too. He will have a year left on his deal next summer instead of two. Since he cost them 2 million last summer you have to expect his price would be prohibitive for us right now.

Loans, like transfers, can be good and bad, let's hope this one is the former. TM says he is a runner and hard worker so he may be a pest to clumsy L1 centre backs. The interview on Rovers site was good, said tm wants him to play the way he likes to, lots of running and trying to get in behind.  Also in the interview he talked like he hoped to be around for a while, using 'we' and talking of getting back into the premier league in a couple of years so he sounds like he expects to do well and sign permanently.  

Mid have been looking for some big strong striker that can hold the ball up myself but it sounds like Mowbray really rates him so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do 

Loans ideally are used to top up a solid squad with an extra bit of cover or quality. When the club is built on them they're definitely not good.

so the question remains - have we got that solid squad to start with?

I hope we can all agree now that we need 2 Central Defenders who are strong, quick and suited to League 1. Ward is a liability. Mulgrew struggles with pace. This has been obvious for weeks. We've not had a CD worthy of the name since Duffy and Hanley left.

Crack on Mowbray, we don't need more CM's, we aren't Barcelona, we are Rovers in League 1.

Still fuming about yesterday:angry:

21 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

Exactly it's free development for them & gets him off the wage bill it's very telling it's just a loan.

He's 26. It is Leeds parking an unwanted player with a desperate club who are mug enough to pay some of his wages. Like most loans, there are some exceptions but it rarely favours the loaning club.

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I hope we can all agree now that we need 2 Central Defenders who are strong, quick and suited to League 1. Ward is a liability. Mulgrew struggles with pace. This has been obvious for weeks. We've not had a CD worthy of the name since Duffy and Hanley left.

Crack on Mowbray, we don't need more CM's, we aren't Barcelona, we are Rovers in League 1.

Ward just seems to wander about. An absolute liability. We'll achieve nothing with that CB pairing. It was eye-opening for me yesterday just how bad they are at dealing with s simple ball behind them.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

One thing I have noticed about Mulgrew is that he appears to be a bit soft. Once at Southend and twice yesterday he did some kind of girly limp after being challenged. In fact one yesterday (in the corner of the DE and JW) bore all the hallmarks of you are not allowed to challenge me attitude. I rate him as a player but unless he is prepared to mix it physically he will struggle.

48 minutes ago, McClarky said:

He's 26. It is Leeds parking an unwanted player with a desperate club who are mug enough to pay some of his wages. Like most loans, there are some exceptions but it rarely favours the loaning club.

Yes he is unwanted, I listen to radio Leeds popey & whelan they have remarked he's not a bad player & my mate said he was ok. I've never seen him play but going off yesterday he could be another option injuries will happen players will tire. Antonssen could be a good loan or dud, but let's give the bloke a chance first eh? I thought he was eligible to play against Doncaster so surprised he wasn't even on the bench.

24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Two proper centre halves and a actual left back are needed. There is no way anyone should go a season with Williams and a kid as your left backs.

What's Tommy Spurr up to? He's steady and could do a job at left back or centre back?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Started last 2 games for them

Shame, we don't have enough money to be buying lots of players so we will have to patch up with utility men and he was a consistent 7/10 player.

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One thing I have noticed about Mulgrew is that he appears to be a bit soft. Once at Southend and twice yesterday he did some kind of girly limp after being challenged. In fact one yesterday (in the corner of the DE and JW) bore all the hallmarks of you are not allowed to challenge me attitude. I rate him as a player but unless he is prepared to mix it physically he will struggle.

Was that the one when he made a slide challenge then started clutching his knee, then quickly got up when the Donny fans started laughing at him? The other one was on the corner of The Riverside and the BBE. He started waving his arms about then towards the referee, and it wasn't even a bad challenge. He's very talented, and too good for League 1, but by the same token he's also not suited to League 1.

Mowbray was doing a lot of arm flapping and bothering the 4th official yesterday every time Donny put a tackle in. Donny weren't even physical, we'll come up against a lot worse I'd imagine..

What did you think of the reffing yesterday? (I think you used to ref). I thought he let a lot more go than they used to in the Championship, but then the Championship was getting like the Prem, if the player squealed he got a free-kick.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Two proper centre halves and a actual left back are needed. There is no way anyone should go a season with Williams and a kid as your left backs.

A back 4 instead of 3 or a clueless 5 would help and I think i'd get that centre pairing sorted and have Mulgrew left back and Williams as back up.  Forget the wing backs it's been tried it doesn't suit so back to basics.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Ward just seems to wander about. An absolute liability. We'll achieve nothing with that CB pairing. It was eye-opening for me yesterday just how bad they are at dealing with s simple ball behind them.

If young Scott Wharton couldn't do better than Ward I'll show my proverbial on the town hall steps.

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

A back 4 instead of 3 or a clueless 5 would help and I think i'd get that centre pairing sorted and have Mulgrew left back and Williams as back up.  Forget the wing backs it's been tried it doesn't suit so back to basics.

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton,Mulgrew, Bennett, Smallwood,Evans,Conway, Samuel, Antonsson. That's how I'd be starting next Saturday if possible.

Alex Bruce has signed for Bury on a non contract basis and makes his debut at Wigan today. He will still be up for grabs on such a deal. He would be ideal given his experience and our desperation for a decent centre half.

Archived