BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

First game of the season live for me (other than by ifollow): I thought that in the first half we were fantastic and from the off it didn't appear that we were fearful of the opposition. Whether TM has learned or not only time will tell. Second half was a bit different and really could have gone either way which would have been an injustice.

More of the positive approach from the off against Gillingham please.

The negatives against Raya are far outweighed by his positives. He just needs to stop doing the ridiculous and really impose himself. In time he should be a great keeper. 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me that gets infuriated with dacks complete lack of desire to try and win the ball back. I know people will say it's not his job and that's why we have Smallwood etc but most of the time he loses the ball he puts his head down and just walks away. The ball could be yards away and he just walks off. He does look like he has flashes of brilliance in him but I personally think his attitude isn't right. Not knocking the lad when we have the ball I just think he should try alot harder to retrieve the ball in the initial phase of losing it. If you watch Bennett after he loses the ball and watch dack that sums up the right and wrong attitude, work rate and effort of a professional 

1 hour ago, Al said:

If you went to the match it wouldn't be a problem.

Don't knock Al when you don't know the facts why I couldn't attend last night,

And by the way, in answer to a previous question you raised, Downing played really well against Rochdale. I was there.

16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

He strikes me as a bit 'Dunn'y. Very talented player but struggles with how he applies himself off the ball... and off the field.

A lower league Dunn is a fair description I reckon although doesn't play in that position to have an influence on the game the same obviously. Comes alive on the ball, always wants it when it's in his area. One good game to date and needs to do more but probably no coincidence he's looking better now because he's getting fitter and involved more.

It's all been said but just a few thoughts.

Must keep Raya as keeper. He's good and still learning.

Caddis is a good solid full back. He gives me confidence.

Mulgrew must have been inwardly thankful to have Downing alongside him. Downing's passes were very often along the deck, forward and to a Rovers player.

Whittingham showed his class when he came on at Shrewsbury and again last night. Good player. But I think too many are criticising Evans wrongly. He worked hard last night.

The 10 minutes or so before Samuel was subbed he was at walking pace. I was cursing him for being lazy but in hindsight he must have been knackered.

I don't know why some people slag off Bennett. He played well and always gives 100%.

Antonsson impressed on the left at Shrewsbury and again last night.

This team looks really good. I just hope they play with the same pace and commitment against the Gills on Saturday.

Great result.

I have just watched the official, short version, highlights on Youtube. Also came across another vid taken by a lad in the BBE. Actually quite good for a hand held and gives a good view of the Raya 'pass' and Chapman goal from a different angle.

Darwen End looks sparse.

A great performance. We pressed from the front extremely well. I think Samuels had a terrific first half and put the fear right into the Rotherham defenders. Both Dack and Antonson pressed with him too. With the press it only works if all the players are willing to put the effort in and last night they certainly did.

Bennett getting in behind their left full back brought some of our best chances of the game. Quite how Antonson/Samuel didn't have a hat-trick on the night I'll never know. Both had ample opportunities. For all of Antonson's effort I'm still disappointed with his hold up play but no one can question his ability to run in behind. I think maybe out wide left is his better position as he doesn't really have the ability to turn on the ball or hold a big defender off.

Richie Smallwood again is a hero. Does the dirty stuff very well. Perfect midfield performance from him.

What helped our defenders is that their back 4 didn't have time to pick a ball out and play it through the lines to their midfielders. Evans and Smallwood mopped any balls into Rotherham's central midfield up quite well and usually forced a back pass, either resulting in a further pass back to their GK or a long ball up/out of play. If we can maintain that press throughout this season then we will do well; it's obvious players in this league don't have the ability to play their way out of trouble.

Raya's shot stopping is excellent but his decision making needs work, as with any young GK. In the first half he played a suicide ball to Mulgrew, resulting in a bad pass to Downing and an awful challenge as a result. They had a FK in a very dangerous position that could have quite easily turned into a goal if any real quality was behind it.

I think Downing was helped with CM at the back. Always seemed to be talking to him, telling him to get rid or pass and 98% of the time Downing made the right decision. Definitely more solid than Elliot Ward but feel his lack of presence might get in the way against a side showing more quality. That said though this is a team that have bagged 5 goals on three occasions this season to shut them out to a few chances is a good performance by any standards. He should retain his place - I'm far more relaxed when he has the ball than when Ward does anyway.

Caddis had a good game. He has this ability to put the ball down the wing into a dangerous space which could reap rewards this season. He can get caught out of position though much like Williams. I'd still like to see Nyambe given a few chances when fit to challenge for this spot, I don't think Caddis has it nailed down. Likewise I'm still not happy with Williams at left back.

Subs were great. Chapman is such a threat and I'd like to see him start on Sat however both Antonson and Bennet did enough, for me, to retain their places. So it would be a case of moving one of the two into the middle for Dack to accommodate Chapman. I don't think 3 are best played centrally. A good predicament to be in but a challenge for TM nontheless. The 4-4-2 brought about some negative football but the way in which he set up yesterday was fast, attacking, energetic wide play that culminated in chance after chance. On another day it could have been 6/7 nil.

Whittingham is a nice solid head to bring on and control the game. Whether he's a starter or not I'm unsure as I enjoy the way Evans and Smallwood mop it up there. If played correctly them two could allow a front 4 to run riot over the opposition and let either Caddis/Nyambe on the right to bomb forward and Williams/Hart (if he's a LB) to do the same on the other wing. It could be devastating. 

Nice to see such a response after a lull. TM was, and still is, under pressure in my opinion but him and his side have reacted positively to it. More of the same please!

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Great result.

I have just watched the official, short version, highlights on Youtube. Also came across another vid taken by a lad in the BBE. Actually quite good for a hand held and gives a good view of the Raya 'pass' and Chapman goal from a different angle.

Darwen End looks sparse.

Sorry for the double post but two points of reference there is the 2.40 with those silly passes round the back line that could have turned out worse.

Then on 5 minutes you can see exactly why Smallwood is a cult figure at Ewood. Pressed well, won the ball back high up the pitch and set up a move that resulted in a chance on goal. He will have a successful career if he stays with us and be loved by our fans for it too.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Does anyone know what the radio Lancashires programme is called from 5-6 after Saturday matchdays where you can listen to mowbrays interviews and Kevin Gallagher talk about the game and where I can find it

31 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Does anyone know what the radio Lancashires programme is called from 5-6 after Saturday matchdays where you can listen to mowbrays interviews and Kevin Gallagher talk about the game and where I can find it

I use the BBC iPlayer Radio app.

In addition to the preset main BBC channels you can under 'local and uk radio' select Radio Lancs.

All channels offer 1 month playback, downloads, podcasts etc.

Excellent app

Edit: the above app should NOT be confused with the BBC Media app which is useless, imo.

12 hours ago, donnermeat said:

What struck me last night is, for what is the first time in a long while, we actually had runners that ran beyond the striker and into the box!

That was the one huge difference. Bennett down the right and Antonsson down the left giving the midfielders and defenders an option by constantly looking for it in behind their defence. It helped that their starting position was 15 yards further up the pitch than normal. Tony took the shackles off.  

We looked like a proper football team!!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/rovers-v-rotherham---extended-highlights/

10 mins of extended highlights.

How good was that first half in comparison to the dross we've had to watch since forever?!:rover:  I thought Bennett in particular stood out. Caddis too I thought had a fine game. He's a good footballer and is starting to look a lot sharper.

Antonsson was good with and it was a clever goal, a proper poacher's goal. His ability to lose the ball in dangerous areas though is quite unique:rolleyes: 3 or 4 times he was just brushed off it while trying to hold it up. He's the weakest well-built lad in football! Excellent decision by Mowbray to put him out wide and he had found himself on the back post again with the goal at his mercy.  A couple of little nutmegs in front of the JW were a touch of class. A work in progress!!

Samuel is a weird one, he can look superb at times when he receives the ball in tight areas and he holds it up well, but in front of goal he is lacking. He should have buried that header (again) and the left-footer on the near post.

Downing looked very assured and is well worth giving an extended run out to over the next few games. He looks very good on the deck. Hard to judge his aerial prowess because he up was up against Peter Crouch on steroids! (Their No 24 was excellent. He was playing Rovers on his own for most of the night, a proper old fashioned CF)

Dack doesn't look fit/match fit but showed enough to suggest he'll be a good signing.

Chapman's just a joy to watch. It's a cliché but as a neutral you'd pay to watch him. I doubt there's many in League 1/Championship you could say that about. He saved our bacon because it was only a matter of time before we conceded(again). But would he be better starting, thats still the question:P Considering all the chances we created before he came on, Mowbray can credit himself with getting it right last night. Tactically astute!

A classy cameo from Whitto too. A nice pitching wedge to put Antonsson clean through.

Great night, at it from the off so credit to Mowbray...same again Saturday!

47 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/september/rovers-v-rotherham---extended-highlights/

10 mins of extended highlights.

Great night, at it from the off so credit to Mowbray...same again Saturday!

No mention of Raya ? He looks as though he'd get knocked over by a passing butterfly. He's going to cost us a few games this season

Just now, jim mk2 said:

No mention of Raya ? He looks as though he'd get knocked over by a passing butterfly. He's going to cost us a few games this season

I thought that save low down  at his post was excellent, and vital. We were under the cosh at that time. He's dreadful on crosses though when under even the slightest pressure. I'd guess though he'll save us more than he costs us by the end of the season.

14 hours ago, neophox said:

It takes around 10 games in the league for new teams to gel... feel

its our turn to win games now until end of season!! 

My feeling too.

One thing we cannot accuse Mowbray of is not experimenting. I think we are getting more of an idea of the best XI as a unit although this might be bad news for players like Conway, Graham and one of Whittingham/Evans. Not settled yet but getting closer.

It was obvious Mowbray wanted a passing side from the formations he sent out against Southend and Doncaster so I am delighted that finally a Rovers team passed it around the park for him without committing suicide in midfield and defence. I know the personnel are nearly all different now but I cannot forget this from last season- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJMaRWsi9Kk

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I thought that save low down  at his post was excellent, and vital. We were under the cosh at that time. He's dreadful on crosses though when under even the slightest pressure. I'd guess though he'll save us more than he costs us by the end of the season.

Got to remember Rotherham bullied four of their five goals against Oldham through sheer bulk of players.

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Over to the defence to be organised to provide some more protection but I think he looks like a fabulous stopper apart from lacking the physique most modern keepers have. 

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Whilst Raya is still developing and clearly has a couple of weaknesses, watch the goals that Sunderland conceded at Ipswich.

Then thank your lucky stars that we have Raya instead of Steele.

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing looked very assured and is well worth giving an extended run out to over the next few games. He looks very good on the deck. Hard to judge his aerial prowess because he up was up against Peter Crouch on steroids! (Their No 24 was excellent. He was playing Rovers on his own for most of the night, a proper old fashioned CF)

This has got to be one of the most pleasing aspects of the game.

Probably the most underwhelming deadline day signing in history and basically not many people (me included) expected him to be up to much.

Really glad that (so far) he's proving people wrong

Archived