BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Roverseas previews Bristol Rovers (H) 25.11.17

J*B

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuffed to pieces with the win but we made really hard work of it and perhaps can count ourselves lucky to take all the points. I was surprised when I saw the team and tried several potential permutations from the starting eleven but one of them definitely wasn't Whittingham playing on the right wing. Mowbray must have long term memory loss because last time he did it we were unbalanced and exposed on the right. Sometimes it's like he is trying to prove himself right and the supporters won't remember. That's not the only reason we were in the main poor though. There were far too many poor performances to be dominant. The first touch of too many players was poor, we were caught in possession too often and once again the play was pedestrian. I can't remember a game for a long time when we lost so many challenges to players who it looked like they simply wanted it more. In fairness to Mowbray the changes he made had a positive effect on the game.

In the final analysis it might prove to be a big three points but when Mowbray sits down to go through the DVD with the players he had better tell his missus he will be late home for tea.

36 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Delighted with the win today and the current winning run but I'm more than a little perturbed on the pending CEO appointment. Given that, if this name is correct, he's coming from a club even more disfunctional off the pitch than ours.

To be fair if it is true, he was only there for around 12 months and seemed to hit brick walls dealing with the owners, Imagine this comment will be made on another clubs message board in 2019 :)

10 minutes ago, barry_ said:

did anyone hear the managers interview on Radio Lancs?? ??? 

for the most part, he spoke  about how good Bristol were, how fast blah blah

I wish that he had more passion for 'his' team ffs

Why don't you just enjoy another win barry instead of looking for fault at every turn?

We've been void of anything to shout about for 8yrs, and now we're winning, pushing for promotion, enjoy it while you can because with our absent owners disaster is never far away.

did you listen to the interview, Gav?

i'm buzzing with the win but meh, we weren't very good and the managers choice of players and tactics? 

i can't *stand mowbray and his dour 'head down hands in pockets' persona. 

On we go ?

5 minutes ago, barry_ said:

i'm buzzing with the win but meh, we weren't very good and the managers choice of players and tactics? 

i can't mowbray and his dour 'head down hands in pockets' persona. 

On we go ?

Like I say maybe you should blame the players today up until the subs came on. I refuse to believe that one damn change by the manager to the lineup makes everything his fault. People said they wanted him to stop tinkering about (one change is hardly major and players like Nuttall who fans demanded play were anonymous though I thought he deserved a chance for record) and try to be more positive. I think the manager has shown some progress there recently though we better see how long it lasts. People were criticising Nuttall last weekend as I recall sounds somewhat similar to today from a personal performance standpoint.

3 minutes ago, barry_ said:

i can't mowbray and his dour 'head down hands in pockets' persona. 

On we go ?

I didn't listen to the interview no, but we're flying up the league barry, just enjoy the win, ignore the peripheral stuff because it pails into in significance if we end up getting promoted.

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

I didn't listen to the interview no, but we're flying up the league barry, just enjoy the win, ignore the peripheral stuff because it pails into in significance if we end up getting promoted.

'peripheral stuff' is what being a football supporter is all about! ?

(and that 'if' thing!! eeeeeeeeek) 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Graham and Samuel did well when they came on. I do think Nuttall contributed in giving their defenders a hard time, physically.

MoM was Dack for me but ultimate Graham’s input was the difference between a win and a defeat. Probably putting himself in the January shop window.

I doubt many will be in for Graham, and I very much hope I’m right. He is a quality, experienced player that we need. The impact of both Graham and Samuel was immediate and very effective.

I’m surprised people feel we were lucky or played badly. I thought this a very enjoyable game against a team who performed far better than I expected. Granted the disallowed goal was fortunate as we must have strung together six or seven basic errors while “defending” that.

Despite the abject performances by Evans and Smallwood we managed to avoid being over run in midfield and keep going after falling behind. It’s notable those two had five or six half chances and failed to get one on target.

I was concerned by Nyambe much of the time and felt if we were going to lose it would come from his side. Saying that at no point did I really feel nervous or doubt we would win - if that makes sense.

MOTM to either Mulgrew or Dack, with Mulgrew shading it.

Onwards and upwards. 

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Can anyone comment on what happened in the Riverside shortly before HT and if its anyone who's known to several people on here? Looked liked a serious medical situation.

I don't know about that but there certainly was a large police presence in the whole ground, today. 

As an add on, does anyone know why? 

2 minutes ago, barry_ said:

I don't know about that but there certainly was a large police presence in the whole ground, today. 

As an add on, does anyone know why? 

Well there were police in the DE for obvious reasons. Filled about half the lower tier from Bristol. Did someone set off one of those flares from there too (how original) smoke travelled into the JW upper but I don't think anyone up there brought one in. :D

Stewards seemed pretty half hearted checking tickets too (yes I did pay the correct price lol) on way in. People said that had been more thoroughly checked recently.

2 minutes ago, barry_ said:

'peripheral stuff' is what being a football supporter is all about! ?

(and that 'if' thing!! eeeeeeeeek) 

If we found ourselves supporting a normal club I'd agree, but under this lot ignoring the perpetual stuff is a must or you'll send yourself potty, a few on here can testify to that :P

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

I think Nuttall would be better in a front two tbh but doing that would mean Dack (our best player right now) either being dropped or played out of position. I am not going to jump on Nuttall as he has a real nack of hitting the net and he still has plenty of time to improve in that regard. Yes, for me id have Graham and possibly Samuel in front of him but at least we are covered up top now. 

I dont think many praise Evans but Whittingham really has disappointed considering his history. I dont think he is in the same category of a Murphy but it is alarming that he has not been able to standout in the third division. I really feel his legs are gone and perhaps Birmingham knew this when they got shot.

He played for Cardiff 

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I thought  it was a nervy and poor performance again. First 20mins we tried to walk it in, rest of the first half we were second best. Lucky to win. Nyambe was awful, Williams similar. Nuttall needs to realise that he needs to use his muscle. Last 10mins we bricked it when we need to relax and pass the ball about. The first two subs played well for 10mins and made the difference. Grateful for the points and praying we click in the 2nd half of the season.

Although both fullback were poor today neither was helped by having so little cover in front of them, and when they did get forward there was not any cover for them from either winger.

1 hour ago, barry_ said:

i can't *stand mowbray and his dour 'head down hands in pockets' persona. 

On we go ?

What was your problem with tactics and team that started?

What the hell does it matters what Mowbray does on the touchline as long as we are winning games. Just seems to me another stick to beat Mowbray. 

Good 3 points without the good performance. 1st 30 mins we pass the ball well until the key pass..

Then 15 mins of 1st we got sloppy and it almost cost us a goal..

Second half we started well until their scored. 

Mulgrew took his pen very well..

Was impressed Samuel goal, his movement was good and he wanted to score today and performance was good..

Felt sorry for Nuttall today no chances created for him but he did make some good runs but never was play him

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Quite agree and that’s a big part of our midfield problem. Evans was, as usual, predictable and negative and Smallwood frequently unimaginative. How Smallwood was MOTM I don’t know.

Bringing in Graham and Samuel certainly shook things up. 

Smallwood did the dirty work very well, broke up play and was up and down all game. He was mom by a mile. He isn't their to be the creative one and stuck to his task , as always to the whistle. 

I thought bristol where we'll organised, well drilled, had a game plan and stuck to it and the score could have been very different. They hit the bar twice and had a goal disallowed before going one up. The penalty was never a penalty from where I was sat but we got stuck in and ground out a result which is the important thing. 

I thought nyambe , Evans and nuttall where abysmal.

I'm more frustrated with Graham than ever because he made the difference today. He is exactly what we need when he plays like that.  Maybe the nuttall Starts have finally woke him up.

All in all a nervous three points desperately needed. I remain a little more positive if still unconvinced

23 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Smallwood did the dirty work very well, broke up play and was up and down all game. He was mom by a mile. He isn't their to be the creative one and stuck to his task , as always to the whistle. 

Does Peter Jackson (the jeweller) have a say in that? Or entirely the clubs choice? I'm guessing its probably the latter though if I was sponsoring the award would want it okayed by me first.

Archived