Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

My gut's telling me that England will pull out. We're going through a massive diplomatic incident at the the moment, we've squarely blamed Russia presumably as there is solid evidence which will filter out over time.

It's lose-lose. Either we ultimately withdraw because of the political dispute, or we withdraw due to fan safety as Russia ramps up as the dispute escalates. 

Can't see it happening.

I think the players will go, but fans will be advised not to. The FA and related authorities are cowards who'd be happy to go to any dodgy country if the money and prestige is there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has a couple of lines through the rest of the article On Alf Ramsay: ’He didn’t know the players like Walter Winterbottom, he was a bit naive at first. To be honest, the lads took the pis

Great piece in The Times today talking to England players from 1954 until 2014. Bryan Douglas talks about ‘58 and ‘62. It’s probably behind a paywall, so:      

Bullshit. They were nasty and tried every dirty trick in the book. Got what they deserved - out. 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Stuck on a train and bored, so my guess for a team if we do go is

--------------------Pickford

Walker----Stones---Maguire---Rose

-----------------Dier------Wilshire

-----Sterling------Alli-------Rashford

-----------------------Kane

A lot of decent attacking players in there but only two who are top class in Kane and maybe Walker. Key individual is Wilshire for me as he is the only real passer in the frame. If he can perform we will be a much better team than with another workhorse alongside Dier.

That said irrespective of Wilshire Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain all clearly superior to us. 

Think it will be out in the second round. Reaching the quarters would be a good performance.

 

Southgate has said he will play 3 at the back in the world cup

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I think the players will go, but fans will be advised not to. The FA and related authorities are cowards who'd be happy to go to any dodgy country if the money and prestige is there.

I agree - England will only pull out if a number of other high profile countries agree to do the same (e.g. Germany), they won't boycott alone. FIFA won't do anything at all.

But fans will need to think very carefully about going.

Edited by TonyM
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Stuck on a train and bored, so my guess for a team if we do go is

--------------------Pickford

Walker----Stones---Maguire---Rose

-----------------Dier------Wilshire

-----Sterling------Alli-------Rashford

-----------------------Kane

A lot of decent attacking players in there but only two who are top class in Kane and maybe Walker. Key individual is Wilshire for me as he is the only real passer in the frame. If he can perform we will be a much better team than with another workhorse alongside Dier.

That said irrespective of Wilshire Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain all clearly superior to us. 

Think it will be out in the second round. Reaching the quarters would be a good performance.

 

The one thing that gives me hope (ridiculous, I know) is that as far as I see it there's none of the other top sides look unbeatable.

Not disagreeing about the squads you mention being better than us by the way, but there is no, say, Spain of a few years ago for instance.

Germany aren't as good as they were last time out in my view, Brazil have clearly improved but don't strike fear in the same way previous sides have, and there is Neymar's fitness issue. As ever, Argentina look amazing on paper but only Messi's heroics mean they're there in the first place. France have a quality squad, but their big guns aren't on form in the same way they were at the Euros. Spain look good too, but don't carry the same air of invincability that they did in their EC winning sides.

Basically, I think it's wide open! Just a shame that it's almost certainly not going to be England that takes advantage!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or is history repeating.?  Our 'star' player gets injured before a major tournament (previously Beckham and Rooney respectively) and then gets picked to play in said major tournament even though clearly not match fit or match sharp.  'Star' player underperforms and we get knocked out, partly because we are playing someone who is not properly fit to the detriment of the team as a whole.  In my opinion Kane has to prove himself to be back and at 100% before he gets picked.  A fit Vardy or Rashford should get the nod ahead of a recovering Kane.

Also, someone needs to nick that trumpet until after the tournament.  That damn trumpet has been the funeral dirge accompanying English football for too long.  It's a miserable noise.  No wonder the players look lethargic with that horrible drone in the background.  The theme tune for failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Read the other day we'd sold around 2/3k for each of our group games.

Far cry from the hordes we took to Germany in '06 (though a decade of shite performances since may be another factor!)

Was the same for the Euros in Ukraine in 2012. Averaged about 4k per game, will be similar this time. Only the hardcore go to places like Ukraine and Russia, the rest don't want a smack in the face.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should announce that we are going to semi-boycott the World Cup.  We should confirm that we are going to play the first three games, and then go home.  It could spare lots of blushes all around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:05, speeeeeeedie said:

Well spotted. No wonder I think England can win. I'll drop Lallana and Wilshere then.

Here is Southgate's squad for next week's friendlies;

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland, Nick Pope

Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Tripper, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Alfie Mawson, Joe Gomez, Harry Maguire

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson, Jake Livermore, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dele Alli, Raheem Sterling, Ashley Young, Jesse Lingard, Lewis Cook

Attackers: Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford

My guess is that Pope, Mawson, Tarkowski, Cook are being rewarded for playing well but they'll struggle to make the WC 23. I reckon Southgate will take Hart for his "experience". Cahill too.

Loftus-Cheek and Kane to return therefore, marring injuries, there aren't many spots to play for,

 

looking through players Southgate picked in this squad and who he hasn't picked. No Jones, Smalling or Cahill pick by Southgate which is surprise but at least he isn't picking it on who the players clubs are like previous manager like Eriksson or Capello and picking players on form like Tarkowski or Mawson. Who are in form for their clubs. 

my squad would be: 

Goalkeeper:- Butland, Pickford, either Pope or Heaton or Hart. 

Defenders:- Walker, Tripper, Stones, Gomez, Maguire, Mawson, Rose, Bertrand

Midfielders:- Dier, Wilshere, Ali, Lallana, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain,, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek, 

Attackers:- Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is selecting Wilshere a good idea knowing his hatred for Tottenham when you have several Tottenham players in the squad ?

Harry Kane for me looks too slow to have an impact at International level impact sub at best for me.

Dier for me is like Corry Evans does nothing of note to warrant a place.

Stones like Kane is too slow and always has a mistake in him. 

When I've watched Dell Ali and Rashford play together, Ali always seems to play very difficult balls into Rashford which riles me as they are two very good English players.

Hart has to be third choice at best when it comes to keepers if Pick ford is the Everton goalkeeper then No way should this young dummy be playing for England.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JAL said:

Is selecting Wilshere a good idea knowing his hatred for Tottenham when you have several Tottenham players in the squad ?

Harry Kane for me looks too slow to have an impact at International level impact sub at best for me.

Dier for me is like Corry Evans does nothing of note to warrant a place.

Stones like Kane is too slow and always has a mistake in him. 

When I've watched Dell Ali and Rashford play together, Ali always seems to play very difficult balls into Rashford which riles me as they are two very good English players.

Hart has to be third choice at best when it comes to keepers if Pick ford is the Everton goalkeeper then No way should this young dummy be playing for England.

 

Harry Kane an impact sub at best. One of the best strikers in Europe in the weakest England squad in my lifetime an impact sub. Now I know your on the wind up

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

looking through players Southgate picked in this squad and who he hasn't picked. No Jones, Smalling or Cahill pick by Southgate which is surprise but at least he isn't picking it on who the players clubs are like previous manager like Eriksson or Capello and picking players on form like Tarkowski or Mawson. Who are in form for their clubs. 

my squad would be: 

Goalkeeper:- Butland, Pickford, either Pope or Heaton or Hart. 

Defenders:- Walker, Tripper, Stones, Gomez, Maguire, Mawson, Rose, Bertrand

Midfielders:- Dier, Wilshere, Ali, Lallana, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain,, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek, 

Attackers:- Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck 

If Southgate is picking solely on clubs, please explain the following:

Joe Hart - One of a needlessly high number of keepers, has been in terrible form for years now, and dropped for the average Adrian, given a chance at the weekend and made a big error again. Shouldnt even be considered for the World Cup.

Jake Livermore - Performances particularly poor even in a woeful team, dropped as a result and also recent shenanigans in Barcelona suggest hes not the best professional either. No idea why he

Adam Lallana - barely played in months. Talented but not playing games.

Danny Welbeck - ravaged by injury, and very poor goal record, granted he got a couple last night after the squad announcement (after a clear dive for the first) but not good enough.

Chris Smalling - Not a big fan, but not sure how you can justify leaving out a regular starter for the 2nd highest team in the Premier League, yet can justify players like Joe Gomez being in. I appreciate that you can say hes not the best on the ball but you cant pick defenders solely on that.

Not sure with the lack of depth that we can rule anyone out solely on lack of appearances, assuming they offer something extra, for example Lallana and Rose.

Dont agree with Loftus-Cheek, Hart, Gomez or Welbeck being in the squad, Ashley Young in with a shout of left wing back over Bertrand on form, Lewis Cook maybe in there too, and Henderson. Youve only included 2 central midfielders that can play in a 2. One being injury prone and one being Eric Dier. Otherwise in the main its a pretty small pool to choose from but agree with most of the others.

26 minutes ago, JAL said:

Is selecting Wilshere a good idea knowing his hatred for Tottenham when you have several Tottenham players in the squad ?

Harry Kane for me looks too slow to have an impact at International level impact sub at best for me.

Dier for me is like Corry Evans does nothing of note to warrant a place.

Stones like Kane is too slow and always has a mistake in him. 

When I've watched Dell Ali and Rashford play together, Ali always seems to play very difficult balls into Rashford which riles me as they are two very good English players.

Hart has to be third choice at best when it comes to keepers if Pick ford is the Everton goalkeeper then No way should this young dummy be playing for England.

 

Harry Kane point is nonsense, look at his goal record in all competitions.

Eric Dier is very lucky that England are bereft of depth in central midfield. Massively overrated, Id suggest even Hendersons a better bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Southgate has said he will play 3 at the back in the world cup

I missed that. I can't really see why we would to be honest. It takes a man out of midfield or attack, and I don't think our defenders are that good in a flat back four, let alone a three.

Hmmm. I suppose if we did it 

--------------------------Pickford

--------------Gomez----Stones----Cahill

Walker-------------------------------------------Rose

----------------------Dier-------Wilshire

-------------------------------Alli

--------------------Sterling-----Kane

 

Yeah I don't get it. Basically we would be losing one of Sterling, Alli, or Rashford for an extra (Probably quite rubbish) centre back. Any smart team that uses space well (Argentina, France, Brazil, Spain yada yada) will get down the sides of us too I think.

4231 seems a better use of our assets. Despite what Southgate may have said my money is on 4231.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - agree Dier is over rated, but he is our only true holding midfielder. All the others are box to box (Henderson, Ox, Alli etc.) and considering our squad is very attacking orientated we need a proper holding player.

And those who think Cahill, Smalling and Jones  won't go when everyone else at centre back has virtually no international experience - prepare to be disappointed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Harry Kane an impact sub at best. One of the best strikers in Europe in the weakest England squad in my lifetime an impact sub. Now I know your on the wind up

Why what's he won ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I missed that. I can't really see why we would to be honest. It takes a man out of midfield or attack, and I don't think our defenders are that good in a flat back four, let alone a three.

Hmmm. I suppose if we did it 

--------------------------Pickford

--------------Gomez----Stones----Cahill

Walker-------------------------------------------Rose

----------------------Dier-------Wilshire

-------------------------------Alli

--------------------Sterling-----Kane

 

Yeah I don't get it. Basically we would be losing one of Sterling, Alli, or Rashford for an extra (Probably quite rubbish) centre back. Any smart team that uses space well (Argentina, France, Brazil, Spain yada yada) will get down the sides of us too I think.

4231 seems a better use of our assets. Despite what Southgate may have said my money is on 4231.

 

Pick ford wouldn't play in my cricket team if he can't catch a size 5 ball then he's no chance with a cricket ball. He's as bad as Raya for coming for crosses. ? Pick theball out the net fOrd.

Another Evertonian dummy pity we have a few at Ewood ?

Edited by JAL
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why Delph hasn't been called up unless he is injured. I would of played him in the centre of midfield for a friendly see how he got on. Been excellent at city this season albeit at left back but with guadiolas tactics often sat in the middle whilst city where attacking

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a little snippet to illustrate what England are up against in Russia.

Spain squad for friendlies;

Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao), David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli)

Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Marcos Alonso (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Nacho Fernandez (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad).

Midfielders: Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Dani Parejo (Valencia), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo Hernandez (Villarreal), Marco Asensio (Real Madrid)

Forwards: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Rodrigo (Valencia), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid)

Excluded from this squad are Busquets (Barcelona), Alacantra (Bayern Munich) - injured, Martinez (Bayern Munich) - out of favour, and Morata - currently crap.

It will be a tall order for England to beat their best 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Here's a little snippet to illustrate what England are up against in Russia.

Spain squad for friendlies;

Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao), David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli)

Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Marcos Alonso (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Nacho Fernandez (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad).

Midfielders: Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Dani Parejo (Valencia), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo Hernandez (Villarreal), Marco Asensio (Real Madrid)

Forwards: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Rodrigo (Valencia), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid)

Excluded from this squad are Busquets (Barcelona), Alacantra (Bayern Munich) - injured, Martinez (Bayern Munich) - out of favour, and Morata - currently crap.

It will be a tall order for England to beat their best 11.

Excellent squad, have to be amongst the favourites.

That said, still not of the same vintage as their WC/Euros winning squad in my view. If England were to draw them in a knockout game, I'd make them favourites by a fair margin, but not unbeatable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderation Lead
30 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The Brainless comments from the Bumbling Bullingdon club gobshyte should ensure our fans receive a very warm welcome from all Russia.

Boris....SHUT YOUR MOUTH!<_<

Comparisons to Hitler ?.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.