BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

All ready for a relaxing Sunday in front of the box with some nicely chilled beers?

England match and then Formula 1 straight after - if Carlsberg did Sunday afternoons.

I’m not expecting much relaxing!

• Backroom

I’m at a Christening at 12:45 - not sure how this happened the lad who’s son it is a huge footy fan as well.

Having see us and Panama you would expect this to be as routine as they come but I suppose you never know.

Start like we did against Tunisia and settle any nerves that could creep in.

That last gap German goal opens three intriguing but remote possibilities:

1) South Korea can still qualify

2) Mexico can still fail to qualify

3) Mexico 1 Sweden 0 and South Korea 1 Germany 0 produces  a three way dead heat for second place in Group F:

W1 D0 L2 F2 A3 Pts 3 

Just seen Audax's post back a page discussing this possibility. 

Edited by philipl

Expecting England will contrive to make extremely heavy weather of beating Panama and could easily only draw.

If we are a serious proposition then there should be at least a 3 goal margin.

I cannot see us beating Belgium in the last game if we have to win to top the group (avoiding Brazil or Germany in the quarter finals) so we need a six goal margin this lunchtime.

On the basis we don't do in game time what we do in pre-match preparation, I hope there has been extra air shot and putting it wide from four yards training for the lads- we had five of those against Tunisia....

6 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I know that you know this pal but when a player is really injured they don’t move very much at all. 

Agreed, Germany showed why they are the world champions,  they never stopped until the final whistle. Total professionalism determination and efficiency but isn’t that the German philosophy anyway?

I have a simple formula - the more rolls they do the less injured they are.

• Like 1

This has the makings of a wonderful day. Missus and younger 2 children are out in Cyprus visiting my parents, other 3 children are staying at their other grandparents up the road. Sun is shining, my fridge feels like it's chilling those beers to perfection and 3 games of football to enjoy. Come on England make this the Carlsberg of all Sundays. 

• Like 2

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

It is nice to have an England team that isn't all about 1 or 2 players and is more of a team. Sure, if/when England get to the next round, it'll probably go wrong but compared to the last two world cups, there is more to look forward to.

Harry Kane is the only goal scorer

• Backroom

I see the Serbian FA are lodging an official complaint with FIFA regarding their match with Switzerland. VAR is in many ways FIFA making a rod for their own back. Before VAR they could always use the excuse of "none of the officials saw it", but with VAR replaying every incident from multiple angles mistakes like Kane and Mitrovic's penalties not being given either come down to sheer incompetence or purposeful ignoring of the rules by the officials to benefit one side over another. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Expecting England will contrive to make extremely heavy weather of beating Panama and could easily only draw.

If we are a serious proposition then there should be at least a 3 goal margin.

I cannot see us beating Belgium in the last game if we have to win to top the group (avoiding Brazil or Germany in the quarter finals) so we need a six goal margin this lunchtime.

On the basis we don't do in game time what we do in pre-match preparation, I hope there has been extra air shot and putting it wide from four yards training for the lads- we had five of those against Tunisia....

Nah..comfortable win..panama are a very limited team..show some positivity

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Some teams make a habit of scoring late goals. That's not down to luck. It's down to having the right attitude, mental toughness, self belief and having confidence in your ability.

Yet people slagged off england when they did it..double standards

Hopefully get a lead early on, and then keep attacking. Panama are no great shakes, so if they come forward trying to score goals it should leave opportunities for us.

Importantly though, 3 points is enough, and deal with Belgium accordingly afterwards. As for Germany or Brazil in quarter finals, tough games, but Germany susceptible to pace.

• Like 1

Just now, Baz said:

Hopefully get a lead early on, and then keep attacking. Panama are no great shakes, so if they come forward trying to score goals it should leave opportunities for us.

Importantly though, 3 points is enough, and deal with Belgium accordingly afterwards. As for Germany or Brazil in quarter finals, tough games, but Germany susceptible to pace.

Germany and Brazil are nothing to be afraid of. My Sunday league team (well I say team it's actually 4 lads saying we should start a team) could pick gaps in that German defence and as for Brazil they have hardly set the tournament on fire yet. A good England win today, and then use the Belgium game to rest players/try others out. 

4-1 today. Panama to get a dodgy penalty, Kane with a hat trick and Raheeeeeeem to score. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Germany and Brazil are nothing to be afraid of. My Sunday league team (well I say team it's actually 4 lads saying we should start a team) could pick gaps in that German defence and as for Brazil they have hardly set the tournament on fire yet. A good England win today, and then use the Belgium game to rest players/try others out. 

4-1 today. Panama to get a dodgy penalty, Kane with a hat trick and Raheeeeeeem to score. 

I think the bigger countries will step up a bit in the knockout stages, it's almost like they've been happy to play in first gear during the groups knowing they have enough to get through. I expect we'll see a different Germany and Brazil especially in the knockout rounds. Not sure about France or Argentina, neither have shown they have much more than we've seen so far and Argentina in particular may not even get through. 

With all of that said I don't think we have anything to fear. Every team has weaknesses, it's just up to us to attack theirs and keep ours at a minimum. I'm hoping we can score today in the first half, if so I think it could end 3 or 4-0. If it gets to HT at 0-0 then I'll be a bit worried. I can't fathom Panama winning this one or even managing to score tbh. If they do then that's obviously a huge concern.